Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,193 members, 7,818,636 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:22 PM

Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? (14887 Views)

Remi Tinubu Calls Woman 'Thug' At Constitution Review Hearing (Video) / Southern And Northern Kaduna Agree To Split Kaduna State At Constitution Review / Constitution Review Hearing: Present Your Propositions Now, Lawan Tells Agitator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by BluntCrazeMan: 5:33am On May 26, 2021
CONSTITUTION REVIEW HEARING: WHAT WOULD YOU WANT REVIEWED IN THE CONSTITUTION?

The Senate Zonal Public Hearing on the Constitution Review Comes up Today (26th May 2021) and Tomorrow (27th May 2017) in two centres each across the Six Geo-political Zones in Nigeria.
The Public Hearing would happen simultaneously in all these 12 centres between 10am and 5pm, both today and tomorrow.
These Centres are listed below:

I. North-Central 1 - Jos Centre
(Plateau, Nasaraws and Benue)

2. North-Central 2 - Minna Centre
(Niger. Kwara, Kogi and FCT)

3. North-East 1 - Bauchi Centre
(Bauchi, Yobe and Borno)

4. North-East 2 - Gombe Centre
(Gombe, Tarnba and Adamawa)

5. North-West 1 - Kaduna Centre
(Kaduna, Kano, Jigawa and Katsina)

6. North-West 2 - Sokoto Centre
(Sokoto. Kebbi and Zamfara)

7. South-East 1 - Owerri Centre
(Imo and Abia)

8. South-East 2 - Enugu Centre
(Enugu, Ebonyi and Anambra)

9. South-South 1 - Asaba Centre
(Delta, Edo and Bayelsa)

10. South-South 2 - Port Harcourt Centre
(Rivers. Cross River and Akwa-Ibom)

11. South-West 1 - Lagos Centre
(Lagos, Oyo and Ogun)

12. South-West 2 - Akure Centre
(Osun and Ondo).
In as much as many Well-Meaning Nigerians would have wanted to be there at the hearing, the painful truth is that they may not end up being there in the end. And since there are no alternative online/virtual means for citizens to contribute to the hearing, it then means that the reviews that these well-meaning Nigerians have in their minds for which they couldn't get themselves to the venues of the hearing in order to contribute, may end up remaining with them forever.
Nevertheless, I earnestly hope that those persons who finally made it to the venues of the hearing would point out “Many” of those issues which the supposed “absentees” were having in their minds.

For me, - and that is, speaking for myself - I would be very happy if these issues I am listing here below are reviewed (or added to the Constitution):

1. “Independent Candidacy In Elections”. Let it not be a compulsory factor that a candidate must come from a political party.

2. “Electronic Voting”. Let the options for electronic technologies be allowed in our elections, and let the options allowed not be restricted or specifically mentioned, this is because, as technology continues to advance, better technological options may become available.

3. “Expanding the Conditions and Options for the use of REFERENDUMS”. Referendums at the moment (according to the current Constitution) can only be used when there is need for the creation of a new State or LGA or to adjust the boundaries of existing States or LGAs. It can also be used when a legislative member is to be recalled by the constituents who voted him/her. That is a very shallow and a very narrow use of Referendums in Nigeria. Provisions should be made to expand the use of Referendums. A full section should be included in the Constitution about Referendums; and it should be in such a way that the Legislature Calls for it in order for it to be used to decide some important national issues, and then the Executive Council Approves it, and finally the Electoral Body Conducts it.

4. “Separation of the Local Police, State Police, Regional Police, and Federal Police”. This one is simple. No much explanations are needed. Or alternatively, let all policemen be posted back to their Local-Government-Areas. (Police is not Military. Police is mainly for maintaining the internal peace and order, and this should be done with the use of Minimum Force. When the case gets bigger than the use of Minimum Force, then a Tactical Team should be deployed. Policemen shouldn't be moving around with deadly weapons).

5. “Total reformation of the Police Force”. All the functions and operations of the Police Force should be boldly stated inside the Constitution. Where their powers began and where they ended should also be included. For instance, the use of firearms should be highly restricted for the police. Also, police should stop operating as if they are military men.

6. “Total reformation of the Military”. All the functions of the Military should be boldly stated inside the Constitution. Where their powers began and where they ended should also be included. For instance, the military should not be seen anyhow in the cities and on the highways as if they are Policemen. The Military functions are totally different from Police Functions. Let it clearly stated that Military can only be seen at places where there is serious unrest, or at places where there is total breakdown of peace and order.

I think these are all that I can say for now.
If I remember others, I can add them in the comments below.
YOU ARE ALSO FREE TO ADD YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS BELOW..

44 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by BluntCrazeMan: 5:34am On May 26, 2021
I would be adding more comments here.
Thank You All.

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by BluntCrazeMan: 5:34am On May 26, 2021
Lalasticlala
Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by AlhajiNatty(m): 5:40am On May 26, 2021
Firstly, we have to do away with that Preamble in the constitution.
Then each Section in the constitution and its attendant clauses should be painstakingly scrutinized.
Any part of the constitution that's found wanting should be expunged and replaced with meaningful ones that are in touch with present day realities.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by DMerciful(m): 5:48am On May 26, 2021
The entire 1999 constitution should be scrapped and a new people's constitution based on a sovereign national conference be put in place

107 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by BluntCrazeMan: 5:55am On May 26, 2021
Lastborn12lasa:
Snnsjsn
What is this naa??
Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by BluntCrazeMan: 5:56am On May 26, 2021
DMerciful:
The entire 1999 constitution should be scrapped and a new people's constitution based on a sovereign national conference be put in place
They conference of 2014 was never used.
You think they will ever do another one?

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by DMerciful(m): 6:03am On May 26, 2021
We can use that but there has to be renegotiation of our existence. How are we going to stay together? That point needs to be agreed on
BluntCrazeMan:
They conference of 2014 was never used.
You think they will ever do another one?

9 Likes

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by wale0911: 6:30am On May 26, 2021
Removal of immunity clause for the President and Governors.

79 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by yanabasee1(m): 6:42am On May 26, 2021
The zoning is totally wrong.....

Why can't it be state by state?

How will I now travel to another state to put down my review....?

This will not yield a positive outcome....as many people might not be able to express their points to th government...

But if it were election now, they will go from village to village to collect people's votes.... and they can't use the same method to collect people's review....

Let people's reviews be collated from village to local government and to states.....

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by RuddyDesign: 6:58am On May 26, 2021
Let the security personnels be given external help
Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by BluntCrazeMan: 7:00am On May 26, 2021
yanabasee1:
The zoning is totally wrong.....

Why can't it be state by state?

How will I now travel to another state to put down my review....?

This will not yield a positive outcome....as many people might not be able to express their points to th government...

But if it were election now, they will go from village to village to collect people's votes.... and they can't use the same method to collect people's review....

Let people's reviews be collated from village to local government and to states.....
When you look at lots of things they do, the only thing that will continue to ring in your mind is:
“They Don't Really Care About Us...”

17 Likes

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by BluntCrazeMan: 7:08am On May 26, 2021
RuddyDesign:
Let the security personnels be given external help
You really want this to be introduced inside the Constitution??
Such a clause undermines the sovereignty of the nation.
Anyway, if you explain what you mean by “External Help”,, maybe your submission above would be clearer to my understanding.
Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by BluntCrazeMan: 7:26am On May 26, 2021
Seun
Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by Frenchkiss564: 7:32am On May 26, 2021
The constitution is shitty.

A shit remains a shit no matter how expensive its decoration is.

Scrap the damn constitution and stop lieing to the masses. Nothing good can come out of that military document called constitution.

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by NaijaOlosho(f): 10:06am On May 26, 2021
grin

I don't want any review let's burn that evil constitution and write a new one with how things are currently now.

38 Likes

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by Nobody: 10:06am On May 26, 2021
well...
Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by Felixalex(m): 10:06am On May 26, 2021
Hmmmm

Make dem first burn the existing one. Make we start afresh

3 Likes

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by Thinktwicemybro: 10:06am On May 26, 2021
Abolish this useless presidential system, go back to regional system, abolish federal allocation system as all states should keep their revenue, make it a right to seek referendum after every 30 years and those who feel like going their separate way should go. Finally, abolish federal police system.

54 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by janedonez(m): 10:07am On May 26, 2021
Scam, who still believes what politicians do in this country.
Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by tiswell(m): 10:07am On May 26, 2021
old wine in a new wine jar
Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by cpu2006(m): 10:07am On May 26, 2021
Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by JosephXavier: 10:07am On May 26, 2021
OP the KS for your contribution especially that if Referendum

I think the sharing of money at Abuja as revenue should be revisited. How Kano state will benefit from taxes generated from sales if alcohol from Lagos while destroying bottles if alcohol in their state

I also think that the allocation formulae should be revisited too, states should be given more money and more responsibilities like policing, building of power plants and construction of rails should be given to states too that can afford it

Reduction of SA's and PA's to political office holders should be reduced

Senate should also be reformed, if possible, there should be a unilateral or part time parliamentary to reduce cost of governance

6 Likes

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by Nobody: 10:07am On May 26, 2021
How many times will they review this flawed constitution?And when the lawmakers review it they will increase their already jumbo salaries time 3.We need restructuring or disintegration not review.

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by goodnessme1(f): 10:07am On May 26, 2021
Disintegration is all i care for.

4 Likes

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by SenecaTheYonger: 10:07am On May 26, 2021
This activity is one which evvery single Nigerian has to take very seriously. But as always, they only know how to complain.

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by ictjobber: 10:07am On May 26, 2021
Everything

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why We Arrested Omisore: EFCC / Burial On Residential Premises Is Prohibited - Lagos State Government / Insecurity: Reps Consider National Assembly Shutdown Over Buhari’s ‘Inaction’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.