Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,287 members, 7,836,272 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:34 AM

Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? (14913 Views)

Remi Tinubu Calls Woman 'Thug' At Constitution Review Hearing (Video) / Southern And Northern Kaduna Agree To Split Kaduna State At Constitution Review / Constitution Review Hearing: Present Your Propositions Now, Lawan Tells Agitator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by Nobody: 10:28am On May 26, 2021
Resource Control and true federalism is what will solve a lot of problems we have in this country.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by BSdetector: 10:29am On May 26, 2021
Coldie:
Rotational presidency amongst the 6 geopolitical zones.

Service Chiefs should be expanded to 6.

If North West and South west is president, the other 4 remaining geopolitical zones should be given the slot of speaker and deputy of house of assembly and house of reps.

All 6 geo political zones were legally created in our constitution so their should be equity, each of the geopolitical zones should have equal numbers in house of reps and house of assembly.

Since Abuja is the capital of Nigeria, the fact minister and deputy must be from the north and south, and it must be rotated.

State police should be allowed to exist, same with state EFcc. We can only have EFcc make a local arrest when the crime involves cross jurisdiction.

States should be able to make laws as we practice a federal system, u can't say alcohol is ban in kano and say banning open grazing in ondo is illegal.

How is rotational presidency going to help anyone apart from the political elites?

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by highcadre: 10:29am On May 26, 2021
Nice
Devolution of Powers.
Let the powers be more concentrated in the LGs and States, rather than an all powerful central Govt.
It's easier to reach your LG Chairman for whatever issues, than some sleeping remote representative in a chamber within Abuja.

Nigeria should also establish a single house of unicameral legislators. Just the HOR would do. And they should be paid per sitting attended. Any legislator that attends less than 75% of sittings in a typical legislative year automatically ceases to be a member.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by Nobody: 10:31am On May 26, 2021
meobizy:
Welcome to Nairaland; where people believe their worthless comments mean anything. Na jobless children full here, jor, most of the comments typed here are for comedic relief.
Don't say that.. u never know who is watching. NL is mostly fckd up true but it allows space for personal opinions and expressions so make we use am. So not all comments are worthless.. It might inspire someone somewhere in the right place to do what the people truly yearn for.. Na part of our rights and we are free to exercise it, Jobless children or gainfully employed adults.. Know urself

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by sammirano: 10:32am On May 26, 2021
Abeg can you delete the constitution sir?

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by orisa37: 10:38am On May 26, 2021
Really blunt and crazy. Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by ogmask: 10:40am On May 26, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:
CONSTITUTION REVIEW HEARING: WHAT WOULD YOU WANT REVIEWED IN THE CONSTITUTION?
In as much as many Well-Meaning Nigerians would have wanted to be there at the hearing, the painful truth is that they may not end up being there in the end. And since there are no alternative online/virtual means for citizens to contribute to the hearing, it then means that the reviews that these well-meaning Nigerians have in their minds for which they couldn't get themselves to the venues of the hearing in order to contribute, may end up remaining with them forever.
Nevertheless, I earnestly hope that those persons who finally made it to the venues of the hearing would point out “Many” of those issues which the supposed “absentees” were having in their minds.

For me, - and that is, speaking for myself - I would be very happy if these issues I am listing here below are reviewed (or added to the Constitution):
YOU ARE ALSO FREE TO ADD YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS BELOW..[/b]

1. All public office holders must have their children attend only public schools. This will bring some sanity and respect back to our educational system.

2. Every elected and appointed public office holder must attend govt owned hospitals here in Nigeria. No more medical tourism.

These are the 2 i have for now. Trust me if we include this in our constitution pple takin up public office will think twice before doing so

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by wink2015(m): 10:41am On May 26, 2021
I personally prefer a confederal constitution not the so called 1999 constitution or restructuring.

Confederalism gives us a loose union.

Although, some people in the south south have been calling for the 1963 regional constitution.

For the 1999 constitution, I want the devolution of federal powers to the states or the region.

Agriculture should be controlled by the state.
Prision should be controlled by the state.
State police should be allowed for state with the capacity to fund it.
Maritime states like Bayelsa Rivers state, Akwa Ibom, Delta state, Cross Rivers, Edo state, Kogi state, Benue state, Niger state, Lagos state, Ogun state, Ondo state should be allowed to control a large amount of their seaport.
There are still more demands.

But the Nigerian constitution should be review every 5 years until Nigeria gets a working constitution.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by od501: 10:42am On May 26, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:

The Senate Zonal Public Hearing on the Constitution Review Comes up Today (26th May 2021) and Tomorrow (27th May 2017) in two centres each across the Six Geo-political Zones in Nigeria.
The Public Hearing would happen simultaneously in all these 12 centres between 10am and 5pm, both today and tomorrow.
These Centres are listed below:

I. North-Central 1 - Jos Centre
(Plateau, Nasaraws and Benue)

2. North-Central 2 - Minna Centre
(Niger. Kwara, Kogi and FCT)

3. North-East 1 - Bauchi Centre
(Bauchi, Yobe and Borno)

4. North-East 2 - Gombe Centre
(Gombe, Tarnba and Adamawa)

5. North-West 1 - Kaduna Centre
(Kaduna, Kano, Jigawa and Katsina)

6. North-West 2 - Sokoto Centre
(Sokoto. Kebbi and Zamfara)

7. South-East 1 - Owerri Centre
(Imo and Abia)

8. South-East 2 - Enugu Centre
(Enugu, Ebonyi and Anambra)

9. South-South 1 - Asaba Centre
(Delta, Edo and Bayelsa)

10. South-South 2 - Port Harcourt Centre
(Rivers. Cross River and Akwa-Ibom)

11. South-West 1 - Lagos Centre
(Lagos, Oyo and Ogun)

12. South-West 2 - Akure Centre
(Osun and Ondo).
In as much as many Well-Meaning Nigerians would have wanted to be there at the hearing, the painful truth is that they may not end up being there in the end. And since there are no alternative online/virtual means for citizens to contribute to the hearing, it then means that the reviews that these well-meaning Nigerians have in their minds for which they couldn't get themselves to the venues of the hearing in order to contribute, may end up remaining with them forever.
Nevertheless, I earnestly hope that those persons who finally made it to the venues of the hearing would point out “Many” of those issues which the supposed “absentees” were having in their minds.

For me, - and that is, speaking for myself - I would be very happy if these issues I am listing here below are reviewed (or added to the Constitution):

1. “Independent Candidacy In Elections”. Let it not be a compulsory factor that a candidate must come from a political party.

2. “Electronic Voting”. Let the options for electronic technologies be allowed in our elections, and let the options allowed not be restricted or specifically mentioned, this is because, as technology continues to advance, better technological options may become available.

3. “Expanding the Conditions and Options for the use of REFERENDUMS”. Referendums at the moment (according to the current Constitution) can only be used when there is need for the creation of a new State or LGA or to adjust the boundaries of existing States or LGAs. It can also be used when a legislative member is to be recalled by the constituents who voted him/her. That is a very shallow and a very narrow use of Referendums in Nigeria. Provisions should be made to expand the use of Referendums. A full section should be included in the Constitution about Referendums; and it should be in such a way that the Legislature Calls for it in order for it to be used to decide some important national issues, and then the Executive Council Approves it, and finally the Electoral Body Conducts it.

4. “Separation of the Local Police, State Police, Regional Police, and Federal Police”. This one is simple. No much explanations are needed. Or alternatively, let all policemen be posted back to their Local-Government-Areas. (Police is not Military. Police is mainly for maintaining the internal peace and order, and this should be done with the use of Minimum Force. When the case gets bigger than the use of Minimum Force, then a Tactical Team should be deployed. Policemen shouldn't be moving around with deadly weapons).

5. “Total reformation of the Police Force”. All the functions and operations of the Police Force should be boldly stated inside the Constitution. Where their powers began and where they ended should also be included. For instance, the use of firearms should be highly restricted for the police. Also, police should stop operating as if they are military men.

6. “Total reformation of the Military”. All the functions of the Military should be boldly stated inside the Constitution. Where their powers began and where they ended should also be included. For instance, the military should not be seen anyhow in the cities and on the highways as if they are Policemen. The Military functions are totally different from Police Functions. Let it clearly stated that Military can only be seen at places where there is serious unrest, or at places where there is total breakdown of peace and order.

I think these are all that I can say for now.
If I remember others, I can add them in the comments below.
YOU ARE ALSO FREE TO ADD YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS BELOW..

Irrelevant shii. If they won't include provision for a referendum, they should forget it.

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by eseelvis: 10:44am On May 26, 2021
true federalism, devolution of power from the centre every state should be on their ownjudiciary autonomy, E-voteing should be given constitutional backing .

its only true federalism can keep Nigeria as one, the idea of going to Abuja to share money every month end should be abolished let every state actor for themselves and a percentage be remitted to the Federal government to run his agencies this is what true federalism is all about

let's leave the analogue way of voting 2 digital voting system manipulation will be reduce

let the the salary and the allowance of all government functionaries be cut by 60% this will help to remove the business idea from politics it will help us to get dedicated leaders who have the nation at heart not going to politics to make money as usual, but to serve the interests of the Nation

if the constitution can be review in this direction Nigeria will be a better place for all to leave the issue of insecurity we fade away by himself if there be true federalism

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by greenguy: 10:44am On May 26, 2021
Take Islam and Sharia away from the constitution.

If Nigeria must remain one, ONLY one law must apply. Therefore Sharia law have no place in Nigeria. Our cultural laws are recognized but sharia is not a product of culture but of religion.

Give power of resource control to states.

Discontinue Bicameral legislature.

Let's MDA's work force be based on its capacity. Yes a minimum wage has been set but a ministry that's earning 0 revenue cannot have 20,000 people on its payroll doing nothing.

Make the Senate less attractive financially. Only then can men of vision aim for the position. Our senators and rep members are the biggest nonentities in Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by SamuelLoch: 10:45am On May 26, 2021
So much have been said...
In addition, if the salary structure of these senators and other MDAs are documented, it should be reviewed.
They are meant to serve the people, not milk the economy!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by Kmartt(m): 10:47am On May 26, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:

The Senate Zonal Public Hearing on the Constitution Review Comes up Today (26th May 2021) and Tomorrow (27th May 2017) in two centres each across the Six Geo-political Zones in Nigeria.
The Public Hearing would happen simultaneously in all these 12 centres between 10am and 5pm, both today and tomorrow.

(Bauchi, Yobe and Borno)

(Imo and Abia)

(Delta, Edo and Bayelsa)

(Lagos, Oyo and Ogun)

(Osun and Ondo).

1. “Independent Candidacy In Elections”. Let it not be a compulsory factor that a candidate must come from a political party.

2. “Electronic Voting”. Let the options for electronic technologies be allowed in our elections, and let the options allowed not be restricted or specifically mentioned, this is because, as technology continues to advance, better technological options may become available.

3. “Expanding the Conditions and Options for the use of REFERENDUMS”. Referendums at the moment (according to the current Constitution) can only be used when there is need for the creation of a new State or LGA or to adjust the boundaries of existing States or LGAs. It can also be used when a legislative member is to be recalled by the constituents who voted him/her. That is a very shallow and a very narrow use of Referendums in Nigeria. Provisions should be made to expand the use of Referendums. A full section should be included in the Constitution about Referendums; and it should be in such a way that the Legislature Calls for it in order for it to be used to decide some important national issues, and then the Executive Council Approves it, and finally the Electoral Body Conducts it.

4. “Separation of the Local Police, State Police, Regional Police, and Federal Police”. This one is simple. No much explanations are needed. Or alternatively, let all policemen be posted back to their Local-Government-Areas. (Police is not Military. Police is mainly for maintaining the internal peace and order, and this should be done with the use of Minimum Force. When the case gets bigger than the use of Minimum Force, then a Tactical Team should be deployed. Policemen shouldn't be moving around with deadly weapons).

5. “Total reformation of the Police Force”. All the functions and operations of the Police Force should be boldly stated inside the Constitution. Where their powers began and where they ended should also be included. For instance, the use of firearms should be highly restricted for the police. Also, police should stop operating as if they are military men.

6. “Total reformation of the Military”. All the functions of the Military should be boldly stated inside the Constitution. Where their powers began and where they ended should also be included. For instance, the military should not be seen anyhow in the cities and on the highways as if they are Policemen. The Military functions are totally different from Police Functions. Let it clearly stated that Military can only be seen at places where there is serious unrest, or at places where there is total breakdown of peace and order.

Where is Ekiti under South West

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by 4four(m): 10:47am On May 26, 2021
I they come

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by Zhongkui: 10:49am On May 26, 2021
Facebook account for sale. 10+ years with over 3.5k friends
Quote me if you're a serious buyer
NB. No scam please
Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by hotwax: 10:55am On May 26, 2021
the only thing we should review in the constitution is how to burn it

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by OmoManU: 11:02am On May 26, 2021
E plenty o, rewritten of the constitution from scratch, every single section and subsection is problematic

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by Coldie(m): 11:02am On May 26, 2021
BSdetector:

How is rotational presidency going to help anyone apart from the political elites?
At least every region will have a sense of belonging. Not where 2 region will rule for 100years while others only look

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by Nobody: 11:03am On May 26, 2021
The useless one or the one not in use?

Let everyone try not to deceive themselves nor be deceived in this country.

The term "constitution" should be scrapped totally, since a president can now be above the law.

Nigerians would simply manage human rights as the new constitution.

Constitution my foot. It's not even properly written.
Who in this century would have the time to read a textbook of jargons.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahah

They're up to something again.

After gathering all your opinion, they'll shove them up Lai Mohammed's asshole.

2023 is nearby. Anything to favor the agenda. Hahahahahahaha

What a nice move.

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by Coldie(m): 11:03am On May 26, 2021
OmoManU:
E plenty o, rewritten of the constitution from scratch, every single section and subsection is problematic
Becareful what u wish for. Make them no go write the one way go worst pass this one.

Majority of the people who wrote the last one are still well alive willing and ready to write a much worst constitution

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by malakaimoscondo: 11:06am On May 26, 2021
I want the Gen abdulsalami Constitution to be kept under lock and key for all time.......they a new Constitution be negotiated and must be subject to referendum before signing into law...then....then remove the abdusalami documents from under Lock to national museum where people will have to pay money to look at one of our national tragedy....some will be like,,is more than a book..it dangerous than abubakar shekau

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by maytiti: 11:07am On May 26, 2021
You call this constitutional review without domesticating it, how would someone travel from Oyo state to Lagos because of one stupid review... I think this politician thinks we're a fool!!

To me, if you want us to review the constitution! Let start with our house of representative and Senate house both should be one house with 5 Representative from each Zones

They should be given wages like 100,000 per Seating.

3 times to seat in a month, Quarterly report on their activities.

Any members that failed to come during the plenary in the house will be placed on probation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by dominion001(m): 11:08am On May 26, 2021
Not to put somebody like Buhari in that seat again, Never.

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by kingyang: 11:14am On May 26, 2021
The country should abandoned 1999 constitution be begin with 1960 afresh .

BluntCrazeMan:

(Bauchi, Yobe and Borno)

(Imo and Abia)

(Delta, Edo and Bayelsa)

(Lagos, Oyo and Ogun)

(Osun and Ondo).

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by jonneljonn(m): 11:15am On May 26, 2021
THE WHOLE CONSTITUTION SHOULD BE SCRAPED AND A NEW ONE MADE

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by EgunMogaji2: 11:19am On May 26, 2021
Right to bear arms.

The Castle Doctrine.
Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by DrFunmisticGlow: 11:19am On May 26, 2021
SAFE abortion should be legalized.

Age of consent for marriage should be increased to 16.
Every woman must complete secondary school before marriage.
Right to bear arms to defend home and farmland
Mental health laws like calling suicide a crime and arresting people for attempted suicide should be updated

Employers should be able to be sued and prosecuted for non payment of employees for more than 2 months.

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by Femimichael99: 11:20am On May 26, 2021
This is such a waste of time.... What happened to the National Confab they did, the report of the confab is there to review the constitution and not this that will only distract people and nothing will still comes out from it...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by 30naira: 11:21am On May 26, 2021
Resource control! Resource control! Every regions should control its resources and pay royalty to the federal government.

The freedom of information act should be in the constitution, so that states can stop running from it.

Finally, the account books of States, I.e revenue and expenditure should be compulsorily made public by the constitution, so that we can readily see where our governors and local government chairmen are spending our money

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by olisefom: 11:21am On May 26, 2021
Nothing can change the system. The people in charge of our policies don't have business with what the constitution says.
We have weak institutions (which was made so by the power brokers). Constitution only thrives when we have strong institutions.

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by Angelmichael63: 11:23am On May 26, 2021
slyfoxxjoe:
1.)Highly decentralized government. A country as complicated as Nigeria should be a confederacy of 3-4 autonomous zones with a very weak central government for basic administrative, national security and foreign relations purposes.

2.) Change the name of the country from the FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA to the UNITED CONFEDERACY OF NIGERIA or the UNITED NIGERIAN CONFEDERACY

3.) Parliamentary system at the federal government level with prime minister elected by the people with a single 6 year tenure and rotated among the different geo-political zones every 6 years.

4.) State or regional police. Each of the major ethnic groups should have some control over their own regional security.

5.) True federalism. Each region should have the right to set its own laws and economic policies that suit the cultures and traditions of its own people. If you don't like the laws of one region you still have the right as a Nigerian to move to another region that works for you. The federal government again will just be reserved for General administrative duties like taxes, allocations, national security and foreign relations.

6.) Term limits and salary cap for all members of the new parliament.

7.) Minimum wage pegged to inflation rate

8.) Scrap NYSC and just pay a minimum wage stipend to every graduate of a Federal university for one year or until they gain employment, whichever comes first.

9.) Reduce corporate tax rate to 15% and abolish interest rates on business loans completely.

10.) Mandate a national conference to be held every 3 years with contributions from delegates comprised of Federal lawmakers, regional politicians, business leaders, traditional rulers, union bosses and everyday Nigerians to review even this new constitution and recommend changes to keep with changing times. It makes no sense for a constitution to be permanent when humans keep evolving and dynamics keep changing yearly.

GOD BLESS YOU SIR.

People like u deserve to be in power based on what you have written here

2 Likes

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by Nobody: 11:26am On May 26, 2021

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Governor Akeredolu Bags Vanguard’s Governor Of The Year Award (photos) / Rochas Okorocha (imo State Governor Elect) To Be President Come 2015 / Buhari On A Courtesy Visit To Emir Of Kastina (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.