Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,088 members, 7,821,758 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:59 PM

New Bill To Review NYSC Act coming – FG - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / New Bill To Review NYSC Act coming – FG (1291 Views)

Sokoto State Governor To Review Corps Members' Allowance / Federal Government Set To Review NYSC Allowance And Serving Years!!! / FG Set To Review NYSC Allowance Upwards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Bill To Review NYSC Act coming – FG by mcnepow(m): 8:50am On Apr 30, 2011
New bill to review NYSC Act
coming – FG
April 30, 2011
News
By VICTORIA OJEME, Abuja

The Federal Government is
putting finishing touches to
a new bill to review the
National Youth Service Corps,
NYSC. The strengthen the
physical security of m
embers of NYSC security
situation of the scheme
against the backdrop of the
recent murder of nine of
them in the North.
Minister of Youth
Development, Senator
Akinlabi Olasunkanmi said in
Abuja that the initiative was
part of government ’s
response to the killing of the
corps members.
His words: “To permanently
foreclose future occurrence,
the ministry is scheduling a
security review meeting with
all relevant security agencies
on a new proactive and
preventive strategy to secure
corps members in their
respective states of posting.
“That the present
administration is determined
to bring the perpetrators
and sponsors of this
dastardly act to book at all
cost.
*For the full news follow d link (i am on mobile)*
www.vanguardngr.com/2011/04/new-bill-to-review-nysc-act-coming-fg/
Re: New Bill To Review NYSC Act coming – FG by Nobody: 1:28pm On Apr 30, 2011
This is the thing I dislike about Nigerian Government. They love papering around the edge on everything.

Government does not need a new NASS bill to beef up security around corps members and if all this is what this bill intends to achieve then it is simply a waste of time.

The only way anybody can review NYSC is to either require NYSC members to serve in their own zones or to scrap the programme entirely.

The fundamental duty of any Government is security of lives and property and they simply do not need a new NASS bill to provide security for those serving the country.

It simply is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: New Bill To Review NYSC Act coming – FG by Nobody: 1:30pm On Apr 30, 2011
mikeansy:

This is the thing I dislike about Nigerian Government. They love papering around the edge on everything.

Government does not need a new NASS bill to beef up security around corps members and if all this is what this bill intends to achieve then it is simply a waste of time.

The only way anybody can review NYSC is to either require NYSC members to serve in their own zones or to scrap the programme entirely.

The fundamental duty of any Government is security of lives and property and they simply do not need a new NASS bill to provide security for those serving the country.

It simply is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL They simply dont want to scrap NYSC. They're making too much money from it.

Money over lives.
Re: New Bill To Review NYSC Act coming – FG by Nobody: 1:35pm On Apr 30, 2011
The only way this makes sense is if the Government is planning to introduce a new force to specifically guard corps members.

Otherwise the idea of introducing a bill in NASS because you want to secure corpers simply do not add up.
Re: New Bill To Review NYSC Act coming – FG by Kobojunkie: 1:38pm On Apr 30, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

LOL They simply dont want to scrap NYSC. They're making too much money from it.

Money over lives.

I understand your reason for wanting it scrapped --- even I would benefit from it being scrapped but if you review the reason for NYSC, you will understand that it remains in this country's best interest not to scrap that program. All this nonsense we dey here now is no different from the usual "Pretending to do something simple all complicated" methods of the past. The problem remains Security, whether it be for corpers or ordinary citizens. About 1000 people are reported dead so far, and only a fraction of the dead are NYSC corpers. Where is the bill to review the deaths of the many more who died?? Are those other lives of less importance or something?
Re: New Bill To Review NYSC Act coming – FG by violent(m): 1:39pm On Apr 30, 2011
“That the present
administration is determined
to bring the perpetrators
and sponsors of this
dastardly act to book at all
cost.

. . .the FG should simply shut the fúck up!. . I have stopped counting the number of times i've heard this statement from this spineless administration! It's almost as though they now just copy and paste past comments, nothing special, no big deal, all simply empty promises.
Re: New Bill To Review NYSC Act coming – FG by hercules07: 1:48pm On Apr 30, 2011
Corps members should be made to serve in the Military, Navy, Air Force and Army, they can then be posted by those forces to work in the civilian settings as military men, they should be made to live in the barracks (officers level sha o) and should undergo some military training, the people who kill corpers will think twice before killing them as they know that retaliation will surely follow.
Re: New Bill To Review NYSC Act coming – FG by Nobody: 1:52pm On Apr 30, 2011
The message is simple. If your relative is posted to any region you believe their security is not guaranteed and they will simply be made human targets.

Kindly ask them not to turn up. You are responsible for your own individual security and you do not need a Government legislation before you choose to stay alive.
Re: New Bill To Review NYSC Act coming – FG by Dave6: 2:22pm On Apr 30, 2011
I just wonder what sort of special security arrangement is going to be made for corps members. A security personnel will be attached to each corps member?

Nigerian graduates should do their Country and themselves at least One Favour: If perpetrators of the post-election violence are not brought to book, then all Nigerian graduates will have no option but forget about the existence of NYSC.
Re: New Bill To Review NYSC Act coming – FG by Pukkah: 2:33pm On Apr 30, 2011
Again, the will of Mr Jonathan is being put to test. He really needs to take charge of this country.
Re: New Bill To Review NYSC Act coming – FG by Kobojunkie: 7:26pm On Apr 30, 2011
What about the will of the people? Are the people not even interested in having better security from their government?
Re: New Bill To Review NYSC Act coming – FG by Nobody: 7:38pm On Apr 30, 2011
We have seen promises that never come to past in this country.

Anybody who put themselves or their relatives at risk all in the name of waiting on change from the Nigerian Government should blame themselves if they get hurt.

You have a right to your own security and if anybody post you to anywhere you don't feel safe, kindly decline.

People did not start killing others today because of how they look, the language they speak or the God they pray to.

Individuals can do something about this, do not make your self or relative a human target. Decline NYSC postings to places like Kano, Jigawa, Bauchi etc.
Re: New Bill To Review NYSC Act coming – FG by Dede1(m): 7:39pm On Apr 30, 2011
@POST

Nigeria is a pretentious endeavor as well as the NYSC. I say unequivocally scrape the con job. Nigeria has failed woefully as a country talk less of a venture created to make avenue for stealing money.
Re: New Bill To Review NYSC Act coming – FG by ezeagu(m): 7:44pm On Apr 30, 2011
Sometimes it's good to appear 'professional' and 'thoughtful' when handling delicate situations like this, but when it comes to the point where no one is coming up with the answers to securing people in the north and are just endlessly moaning, you just have to scrap that and tell Christians/Southerners to stop going north.
Re: New Bill To Review NYSC Act coming – FG by Rossikk(m): 7:56pm On Apr 30, 2011
Can people just shut the fuuk up and allow the govt that was elected by a majority, deal with the problem as it best sees fit.

YOU were not elected, so GET LOST.
Re: New Bill To Review NYSC Act coming – FG by Nobody: 8:09pm On Apr 30, 2011
Rossikk:

Can people just shut the fuuk up and allow the govt that was elected by a majority, deal with the problem as it best sees fit.

Who ever says the reason you have an election is so that we can all go to sleep and hope that a foreign entity called the Government solves all our problem.

In a democracy the Government is US, which is why democracy is defined as Government of the People, by the People and for the people.

You have a say in how you are Governed if you don't know.

So it will help if you chill and learn instead of publicising your ignorance in the name of berrating others.
Re: New Bill To Review NYSC Act coming – FG by OmoTier1(m): 8:34pm On Apr 30, 2011
@Rossik;once again, you have put your stupidity on a hip hop display! Please know this:Election campaign is over and now is the time to tighten the screw on the inept government currently in place.
@all: Hope you'r aware that you can also sponsor a bill in both chambers of the assembly through one of the legislators.

I think it is high time WE truly begin to use the democractic instruments of change to bring about the change we desire. WE can draft a bill and get it sponsored by one of the legislators, use the PRESS to give the bill wide popularity and make efforts to get senior nigerian figures to back the bill and I am sure they will especially if it is well drafted and encompasses what the vast majority of nigerians want.
Re: New Bill To Review NYSC Act coming – FG by cold(m): 10:02pm On Apr 30, 2011
Rossikk:

This product of a gang r.ape is still exhibiting traits of his bloodline.I see,some things never change they just get worse
Re: New Bill To Review NYSC Act coming – FG by Kobojunkie: 10:07pm On Apr 30, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

@Rossik;once again, you have put your stupidity on a hip hop display! Please know this:Election campaign is over and now is the time to tighten the screw on the inept government currently in place.
@all: Hope you'r aware that you can also sponsor a bill in both chambers of the assembly through one of the legislators.

I think it is high time WE truly begin to use the democractic instruments of change to bring about the change we desire. WE can draft a bill and get it sponsored by one of the legislators, use the PRESS to give the bill wide popularity and make efforts to get senior nigerian figures to back the bill and I am sure they will especially if it is well drafted and encompasses what the vast majority of nigerians want.

Alright then . . start one
Re: New Bill To Review NYSC Act coming – FG by Abali1(m): 10:36pm On Apr 30, 2011
I will simply concur mikeansy's advice.
Pls both parents and intending corp members should just decline when posted to any part of the country where they feel that there is volatile security issues. If this line of action is adopted, in time the government and its apologist who think that these killings are not worth being looked at critically will just get the message that they cannot force people to be used as human targets.

if they need human targets that much, maybe they can use their children and relations. kapish
Re: New Bill To Review NYSC Act coming – FG by Nobody: 12:04pm On May 01, 2011
mikeansy:

The message is simple. If your relative is posted to any region you believe their security is not guaranteed and they will simply be made human targets.

Kindly ask them not to turn up. You are responsible for your own individual security and you do not need a Government legislation before you choose to stay alive.
you've said it all and i believe the message is clear to all southerners.my siblings will be mobilized in the next batch.they wont be going if it's any northern state.i even plan to influence it to just about any southern state
Re: New Bill To Review NYSC Act coming – FG by blacksta(m): 12:16pm On May 01, 2011
Rossikk:

moronic idiot - please go the romance section

Another mediocracy as s licking idiiiiiiiiiiooooooooot
Re: New Bill To Review NYSC Act coming – FG by mcnepow(m): 6:19am On May 02, 2011
For people like me who will be posted in d next batch, save ur saliva n simply do as I would -
PLAN A: Avoid bin posted past Abuja (dont ask me how). If plan A fails and u end up in d north, then for PLAN B: Show up 4 registration in camp, 'enjoy' ur stay there for 3weeks and dissappear afta dat to finally reappear on d week 4 passing out parade.
The wolves benefiting from the NYSC paroles would NEVER be alive and watch it being scrapped. Scrapping d NYSC no be small mata.
Re: New Bill To Review NYSC Act coming – FG by sirjec(m): 12:59pm On May 02, 2011
It is quite unfortunate.

In developed countries, when one citizen dies, we see actions that follow, but when thousands die here we hear empty words of action. we like too much theory in this country. Be that as it may, Government should make NYSC voluntary. Making it compulsory is just the factor compelling people to honour it irrespective of where they are posted to. It is funny how one cannot get job as a graduate without NYSC discharge certificate. Even when you collect your exemption, some companies will not accept it. In My opinion, let NYSC be made voluntory. If you want to serve, report to NYSC office, if you don't want, simply go and collect Exemption certificate from your school, that is to say, NYSC office should be situated in all the schools.
Re: New Bill To Review NYSC Act coming – FG by Kenyy: 1:29pm On May 02, 2011
As For Those Calling For The 'Scrapping' Of NYSC, Please Be Informed And Reminded That You Are Going Into A Lion's Den And Whatever You Shall See There Is Entirely Your Cup Of Tea. Or Have You Forgotten That The Federal Budgets Close To, If Not More, #500,000, For Each Corps Members And 80% Of The Amount Provides Meal Tickets For 'The Boys'.
Re: New Bill To Review NYSC Act coming – FG by Fhemmmy: 2:00pm On May 02, 2011
I wonder what is wrong with us in a nation like ours

(1) (Reply)

Batch C 2013 Posted To Kano... / Letter To NYSC DG In Demanding For Our NYSC-INEC Honorarium / Tips To Note As NYSC Registration Commences

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.