Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,961 members, 7,952,872 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:24 AM

Children’s Day 2021: Have We Invested In Our Children Enough? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Children’s Day 2021: Have We Invested In Our Children Enough? (161 Views)

Video Of Peter Obi Saying Money Invested In SabMiller Is Worth Almost $100M / Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day 2021 / Top 5 Governors Who Invested Massively On Roads In Their States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Children’s Day 2021: Have We Invested In Our Children Enough? by aguele(m): 7:16am On May 27, 2021
By: Taiwo Akerele

Today again creates another window for the world and its leaders to reflect on the condition of children across the globe, the fate of their education, the security of the learning environment, the key issue of nutrition and global child rights and freedom of learning and knowledge acquisition.

The global pandemic, COVID-19 has forced millions of children all over the world to learn from home, how conducive these homes are. These bring to the fore the need for concerted efforts to ensure that families are catered for by governments in the area of jobs creation, shelter and adequate feeding which has resultant effect on the condition of the child.

In Nigeria, the conditions are even worse and this day, the 27th of May 2021, is an opportunity for stakeholders to reflect on key policies that have direct bearing on learning, literacy development and the rights of the child.

Today, we have an opportunity to review the impact of school feeding and how this program fared in terms of impact and outcome, today we have an opportunity to look at the issue of nutrition and the child rights law already passed by the national assembly and some states across Nigeria. How has the law been implemented and a far reaching impact on the targeted populace.

Today Nigeria is faced with the crisis of out of school children estimated at 10.5 million by the UNICEF (2019/2020) which Policy House International has projected to get to 15million by the end of 2021 if the security challenges in parts of the north are not addressed and if the culture of school closures continues unabated.

Today in Nigeria, the average national budget provisioning for the entire education system accounts for less than 5% of the national budget as against the 26% recommended by UNESCO. Out of this 5%, only 1.5% is provided to basic education, at the state level the situation is not different on the average nationally. This calls for serious concern. So the key question is what quality of children we are grooming in Africa’s biggest economy by Gross Domestic Product (GDP) and by population.

Today, Children's Day affords us the opportunity to look at our national basic education curriculum, what does it reflect on for us as a nation? Does our curriculum prepare our children for a digital economy? An artificial intelligence economy, an economy that is ready for production, agri-business and manufacturing or a lazy and unproductive economy full of theory and empty in practical?

As we join millions of children all over the world to celebrate this day, for us in Nigeria, we must reflect on the basket of issues both as government and stakeholders in the educational ecosystem and get our acts together to make life more bearable for our kids, the leaders of tomorrow. Happy International Children's day 2021.

Thank you

Taiwo Akerele is the Country Reps, Policy House Int’l and FCT Chapter Chairman, Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA)

Re: Children’s Day 2021: Have We Invested In Our Children Enough? by MathiasT(m): 7:29am On May 27, 2021
I am following
Re: Children’s Day 2021: Have We Invested In Our Children Enough? by ThEGodFaThEr102: 7:33am On May 27, 2021
This question should be directed at Tinubu, bullion van master and illegal drug connoisseur, who vowed to recruit 50 million youths into the army and force them to swallow Fufu, corn and garri while ordering continental breakfast for his own children.

Is that so presidential of him?

Re: Children’s Day 2021: Have We Invested In Our Children Enough? by istina: 7:39am On May 27, 2021
Any country that fails to invest in her children (Education) will become a heap of ruins in the future.
Re: Children’s Day 2021: Have We Invested In Our Children Enough? by Racoon(m): 7:47am On May 27, 2021
Nope! Children in Nigeria today have no hope except if their parents move them to civilized countries.The abuse, cruelty, victimization and harsh environment including the lost of the sanctity of life especially in Nigeria today will just harden any child
Re: Children’s Day 2021: Have We Invested In Our Children Enough? by gloriaunobi(f): 7:50am On May 27, 2021
So today is an round of public holiday again.
Re: Children’s Day 2021: Have We Invested In Our Children Enough? by tony0806: 7:53am On May 27, 2021
Okay
Re: Children’s Day 2021: Have We Invested In Our Children Enough? by Lalami3232(m): 8:11am On May 27, 2021
When dem dey kidnap black men to Euro in the ancient times, my forefathers think say dem smart by hiding. Now see the result grin. I don come discover say there's always an advantage in every disadvantage for this life. Maybe I for be like Rashford, Jazzy or even Snoop Dog sef. But now I dey here dey hear say bread don add 30%, paint of garri now na #1200, $1 na almost #500. My forefathers, I no fit blame una sha because una no know say na so things go be laslas, but I no go make my children suffer this suffer when I dey suffer for this con3. Future kids don't worry, even if na old age na una meet me, I wan make una know say na then I ready to give una the best of lives. Every time I see children dey hustle for street, my heart dey break because E no suppose be so. This con3 get better resources wey suppose make everyone dey 40% comfortable by default. Anyways, happy children's day to una wey dey born for this current situation.

I don talk am before and I go talk am again "The day I go born girl pikin, I go cry like person wey rain beat he starch clothes for party"

(1) (Reply)

Happy Children's Day To Nigerian Children / Nydp Challenges Buhari's On Children's Protection / World Bank Approves $700m Loan For Water, Sanitation & Hygiene Services In Nig

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.