Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,701 members, 7,820,454 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:14 PM

Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency (16721 Views)

Naira Trades At ₦1,730/$ At Parallel Market / Naira Trades 1,498/$ At Official Market, CBN Tackles Racketeers / Naira Drops At Parallel Market, Closes 900/$ At Official Window (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 3:18pm On May 28, 2021
omohayek:

Nonsense. Devaluation of the "official" exchange rate only means recognising the reality that the Naira simply no longer has the same buying power it formerly did. This in turn means the FG no longer has to subsidize the purchase of US Dollars by a few lucky connected individuals (e.g. Dangote) by robbing all the ordinary people of the true value of their hard-earned forex through insisting on an artificially low price.

The real driver for the never-ending plunge in the value of the Naira is that Nigerian governments like to cover their obligations by printing more paper Idi-Amin style, even when the real economy isn't producing enough additional goods and services to justify the new paper. Nigerian governments count on just the sort of financial illiteracy you display to deflect the blame for their recklessness onto "devaluation", as if it simply happened on its own without any underlying reason. They expect you to mistake the symptom for the cause, and most of you fall for it again and again.
accepted your "reason" or "cause" is valid. But should this "cause" be used as a justification to plunge the populace into perpetual penury and misery. Where is our humanity and conscience?
Re: Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency by Yinkagbo(m): 3:27pm On May 28, 2021
OdefaGirl:
I am scared of what Nigeria will become in the next five years.....

Next five years?I am not sure ther would be Ni in Nigeria again...lol
Re: Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency by omohayek: 3:27pm On May 28, 2021
VeeVeeMyLuv:
accepted your "reason" or "cause" is valid. But should this "cause" be used as a justification to plunge the populace into perpetual penury and misery. Where is our humanity and conscience?
You still don't get it: devaluing the currency does not harm the populace, it simply recognises reality! On the contrary, refusing to devalue the currency is what harms the populace, by diverting funds that could be used for things like healthcare, clean water, good roads, schools, etc. into subsidizing cheaper USD for dollar billionaires. Or are you under the delusion that you or any ordinary Nigerian could ever have obtained serious amounts of forex at the "strong" official rate?

If you really cared about the populace, you'd be lambasting Emefiele for acting as a piggy-bank for Buhari's clueless government, which is what has been fueling accelerating inflation and causing the Naira's value against the Dollar to fall. A "strong" official exchange rate that ordinary people have no access to is meaningless, and outright harmful when it comes at the cost of other things they would benefit more from. Anyone ranting against "devaluation" is either ignorant or malicious in intent: the real issue is inflation.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency by Nobody: 3:28pm On May 28, 2021
chatinent:
I have a feeling $0.00 is bigger than ₦0.00.

Re: Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency by KaptainAfrika: 3:37pm On May 28, 2021
DOLLARIZE YOUR INCOME !
Re: Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 3:42pm On May 28, 2021
omohayek:

You still don't get it: devaluing the currency does not harm the populace, it simply recognises reality! On the contrary, refusing to devalue the currency is what harms the populace, by diverting funds that could be used for things like healthcare, clean water, good roads, schools, etc. into subsidizing a few USD for dollar billionaires. Or are you under the delusion that you or any ordinary Nigerian could ever have obtained serious amounts of forex at the "strong" official rate?
granted & agreed but Sir will devaluation cure the embezzlement and funds diversion habits? Won't they find another avenue or devise another means to divert funds/scarce resources?

The truth is that this devaluation has badly damaged the purchasing power to the extent that people (middle class) now only afford tokunbo items ranging from second hand under wears shocked, shoes to second handautomobiles. The way things are going, we will soon start hearing of 2nd hand food.

In those days as a student I could afford to conveniently buy certain expensive perfumes, but those same perfumes are so expensive and way above the means of a working class.
Re: Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency by mikylon(m): 3:45pm On May 28, 2021
chatinent:

Chai..bros u bad oooo.

Is this how worthless our naira has become
Re: Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency by omohayek: 3:50pm On May 28, 2021
VeeVeeMyLuv:

The truth is that this devaluation has badly damaged the purchasing power to the extent that people (middle class) now only afford tokunbo items ranging from second hand under wears shocked, shoes to second handautomobiles. The way things are going, we will soon start hearing of 2nd hand food.
And here you demonstrate that you've completely missed my point yet again. I give up.
Re: Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency by sharone21(f): 4:09pm On May 28, 2021
livinbygrace:
With the way things are going in Nigeria ,it’s better to live/stay in Benin Republic than this country right now.In 2010,I changed 3000 naira to 10,000 Cefa but I was surprised this Monday when I changed same 3,000 naira and they gave me just 3,300 Cefa and with the level of infrastructures (good roads,stable electricity supply) ,security I saw there ,it’s better to leave this Nigeria and go there until this useless Nonsense Man is out of Aso Rock

N3,000=3,300 cfa means N1,000= 1,100cfa ( Cameroon is N1,000= 1,200 cfa) which had been the previous amount. I bet this amount will suddenly change to suit the current devalued Naira, maybe N1,000= 1,000 Cotonou cfa ( or 900cfa).
Maybe leaving cash as cfa at least is better.
Re: Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency by tonguengineer(m): 4:32pm On May 28, 2021
ultimate73:
There was a country. Am happy I chose freelancing as a career
Come and teach me
Re: Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency by Mcslize: 4:54pm On May 28, 2021
joyandfaith:
Nigcoin

e-Naira
Re: Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency by poiZon: 5:49pm On May 28, 2021
chatinent:
How e dey do u for body?
Re: Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency by knowyaself2(m): 5:52pm On May 28, 2021
The black market rate is now #510
Re: Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency by poiZon: 5:54pm On May 28, 2021
ultimate73:
There was a country. Am happy I chose freelancing as a career
Even if u earn in dollar, u r spending in naira..
At the end u will still be affected by this madness from the buharinomics.
Re: Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency by Swanzi(m): 6:29pm On May 28, 2021
PetroDolla2020:
Keep on writing crap.

When you go and exchange your naira with Cedis, tell the person you are changing from that Ghana removed 4 zeros from their currency so he he should give you that value multiplied by 4. Na slap you go get. Some people are just too ...........

Ghana is not responsible for Nigeria's problems. So shut up and deal with your issues, and stop dragging other peopl3 into things they have no interest in.

Perpetual basket case indeed grin And the naira is what? Fuckeduppedness cool

Bro u mind the mumu...

1 Like

Re: Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency by Swanzi(m): 6:30pm On May 28, 2021
[s]
grandstar:

No its not. Thank God for Ghana.

The Cedi is a perpetual basket case. Some years ago, 4 zeros was removed from the currency. It went from 10,000 Cedi to a dollar to 1 Cedi to a dollar.

Guess what the exchange rate is today? $1 = 5.67 Cedi
[/s]

Crap

1 Like

Re: Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency by grandstar(m): 6:52pm On May 28, 2021
nurez305:
can you expansiate on this, how did they remove it? Why can't we also remove 2 zero and make it one dollar for 5naira ?

It's called a redomination of the currency. Read up about it.

Soludo wanted to redenominate the Naira by removing 2 zeros.

When Soludo was there, $1= N120.

He want to make it $1 = N1.20.

However er,the government of the day was dead against it. One reason was that he had just introduced the 1,000 naira note. That mean all the expense on that was wasted.

Redenomination is good but what is really needed is the stability of the currency. If you don't take care, the issues that made your currency a multi-digit currency can do so again.

Ghana, Argentina, Turkey, Russia are examples of such countries.

3 Likes

Re: Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency by baddosky1: 7:10pm On May 28, 2021
Skillsnigeria:
Very soon, NIGERIA naira and zimbabwe currency go be the same. CBN go closed down for Nigeria, we go begin dey spend ghana cedis or rand

Zimbabwe dollar is now higher in value than Naira already!

2 Likes

Re: Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency by nurez305(m): 7:22pm On May 28, 2021
grandstar:

However er,the government of the day was dead against it. One reason was that he had just introduced the 1,000 naira note. That mean all the expense on that was wasted.

Redenomination is good but what is really needed is the stability of the currency. If you don't take care, the issues that made your currency a multi-digit currency can do so again.

but does it increases the value of currency or just the same?

I have a case of something like this but it is in cryptocurrency. A coin called DREP cancel 2 zeros from their price and change the price from 4cent to 4dollar but was still the same because the total supply was reduce as well and doesn't have any positive or negative effects on investor.

Is currency redomination like that as well... We there be any effect in the value of the currency or not? If yes, why are all country not doing it to equate their currency with us dollar.

Can you tell me more about it please
Re: Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency by Gfskw: 7:34pm On May 28, 2021
Failed government ever
Re: Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency by grandstar(m): 7:42pm On May 28, 2021
nurez305:
but does it increases the value of currency or just the same?

I have a case of something like this but it is in cryptocurrency. A coin called DREP cancel 2 zeros from their price and change the price from 4cent to 4dollar but was still the same because the total supply was reduce as well and doesn't have any positive or negative effects on investor.

Is currency redomination like that as well... We there be any effect in the value of the currency or not? If yes, why are all country not doing it to equate their currency with us dollar.

Can you tell me more about it please

I'm not sure what you mean. The currency value "remains" the same after a redenomination.

So, let's say Naira was 120 to $1 and with 120, I can buy 2 gets

When redemominated its now 1.20 to $1, that 1.20 Naira can only buy me exactly 2 eggs.

So, if you have 900,000 in your bank account, it will now be 9,000.

Of course new notes would be printed for the redemominated currency. N100 will now be N1 note, N200 will now be N2 note and so on .
Re: Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency by nurez305(m): 8:01pm On May 28, 2021
grandstar:

I'm not sure what you mean. The currency value "remains" the same after a redenomination.

So, let's say Naira was 120 to $1 and with 120, I can buy 2 gets

When redemominated its now 1.20 to $1, that 1.20 Naira can only buy me exactly 2 eggs.

So, if you have 900,000 in your bank account, it will now be 9,000.

Of course new notes would be printed for the redemominated currency. N100 will now be N1 note, N200 will now be N2 note and so on .
well understood... Exactly what happen to that crypto coin. Those with 100k unit change to 100 unit , and 200k to 200 unit which still value as the same after the redomination.

Meaning, there is no negative or positive effect in the value of the currency.

Thanks for the explanation

1 Like

Re: Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency by ThePlugg(m): 9:46pm On May 28, 2021
More cash out tongue
Re: Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency by omohayek: 9:56pm On May 28, 2021
grandstar:

Unfortunately, far too many Nigerians suffer from money illusion, as if the fact that a currency has a few more or less extra zeros in its nominal value makes any difference to purchasing power.
Re: Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency by grandstar(m): 10:34pm On May 28, 2021
PetroDolla2020:
Keep on writing crap.

When you go and exchange your naira with Cedis, tell the person you are changing from that Ghana removed 4 zeros from their currency so he he should give you that value multiplied by 4. Na slap you go get. Some people are just too ...........

Ghana is not responsible for Nigeria's problems. So shut up and deal with your issues, and stop dragging other peopl3 into things they have no interest in.

Perpetual basket case indeed grin And the naira is what? Fuckeduppedness cool

I actually meant no harm. I was just speaking naturally. I would love to live in Ghana one day.

The Cedi's suffering is primarily due to wasteful fiscal policies such as massive increases in workers salaries just before elections so as to win votes. Such recklessness partly explains why the Cedi keeps depreciating.

It's good to know why.

Nigeria's economy is suffering bitterly due to bad policies of the present president. The border closure explains a lot of things.

Peace.
Re: Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency by buckeyemedia: 10:45pm On May 28, 2021
GIANTPLUSHUB:
Shioor! Far above 490. When you need bulk, that's when reality will set on you.
My sincere sympathy to everyone who is a contractor. Some people are actually in pains or debt as a result of this sharp dollar increment. Was in my friend office yesterday and I saw the speed he left the office to go get some material of a job he got. sadly, there's increase in the materials b4 he got to the market far above the amount he got the job. I hope the client is an understanding client to give him more funds. God no go Shame us! Amen!
How Nigerians hate themselves, Greed, they bought materials at the old rate, CBN devalued the Naira, their prices increased instantly for goods they bought @ the old rate, & those same people are the 1st to point their fingers at others.

1 Like

Re: Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency by buckeyemedia: 10:49pm On May 28, 2021
grandstar:

I actually meant no harm. I was just speaking naturally. I would love to live in Ghana one day.

The Cedi's suffering is primarily due to wasteful fiscal policies such as massive increases in workers salaries just before elections so as to win votes. Such recklessness partly explains why the Cedi keeps depreciating.

It's good to know why.

Nigeria's economy is suffering bitterly due to bad policies of the present president. The border closure explains a lot of things.

Peace.

No matter the policy the lazy ones will always complain, the borders were closed to develop internal production, but you lazy ones are waiting for imported finished goods, or is there anything you export?
Re: Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency by grandstar(m): 11:57pm On May 28, 2021
buckeyemedia:
No matter the policy the lazy ones will always complain, the borders were closed to develop internal production, but you lazy ones are waiting for imported finished goods, or is there anything you export?

I'm not into all this Ghanaian /Nigerian war!

Yes, Nigerian does export lots of things and nigerian manufactured goods can actually be found all over West and Central Africa.

But as I have said, I'm not for this war. It's shadows over substance. I have better things to do.

1 Like

Re: Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency by Nobody: 1:07am On May 30, 2021
[quote author=Happened post=102131336]

Source: https://punchng.com/naira-slips-to-490-at-parallel-market-cbn-plans-digital-currency/[/quote

01000111010011110100010000100000010100110100000101010110010001010010000001001101010110010010000001010011010011110101010101001100
#ARTHSOS; #PLANETSOS {
#GEOENGINEERING
#WEATHERMODIFICATION
#GMO
#BIOTECH
#BIOHAZARD
#THEELECTROSHAMAN; #SDM; #GENESIS
} Royal Marines !!! #BOBTHEBUILDER; #RISKY; #042REPORT; #IPOB; #ÓDÚÁ; #MASSOB; #REDLIGHTDISTRICT; #AMBERALERT; #ANONYMOUS; #ENVIRONMENTALHEALTH !!! ENDIF {!!! #BOBRISKY !!!}
Re: Naira Slips To 490/$ At Parallel Market, CBN Plans Digital Currency by ultimate73(m): 6:25am On Jun 25, 2021
tonguengineer:

Come and teach me
Message me, ultimate73223@gmail.com
Mention after doing so

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can I Sell My House To Invest In Business ? / Fake $100 In Circulation, ABCON Warns / Charcoal Business Booms In Ondo As Cooking Gas Price Increases

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.