Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,204 members, 7,822,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:51 AM

Why Do People Pour Alcoholic Drink On The Floor Before Drinking - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do People Pour Alcoholic Drink On The Floor Before Drinking (1629 Views)

Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? / Woman Throws Herself On The Floor As Oluwo Of Iwo Passes (Video) / Gani Adams Rolling On The Floor In Church During Thanksgiving (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Pour Alcoholic Drink On The Floor Before Drinking by ajilegend(m): 10:01am On May 28, 2021
I have noticed that most times people pour alcoholic drinks especially spirit drinks on the floor before drinking. I want to ask if it's compulsory to do so and what is the rationale behind it before drinking. I noticed that this is even common with Yorubas
Re: Why Do People Pour Alcoholic Drink On The Floor Before Drinking by moriss33(m): 10:08am On May 28, 2021
Calling upon the ancestors to partake
Re: Why Do People Pour Alcoholic Drink On The Floor Before Drinking by Nobody: 10:09am On May 28, 2021
It's a traditional practice called libation in which an unknown god/idol is being appeased with the drink. More like.. first offering a drink to the gods.

I'll advice you not to join in the practice because you don't know what they are serving/ pouring libations to or what you'll be inviting into your life with such practice.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Pour Alcoholic Drink On The Floor Before Drinking by Rita33(f): 10:11am On May 28, 2021
You no dey mash people head ni?
Re: Why Do People Pour Alcoholic Drink On The Floor Before Drinking by MickzyDonald: 10:15am On May 28, 2021
The gods will wait like mad if they are expecting me to pour my drink on the floor for them, they should hustle and get theirs also grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Pour Alcoholic Drink On The Floor Before Drinking by risos(m): 10:19am On May 28, 2021
The idea is to reduce the amount of alcohol that will go into your system.

You can also pour offering to your creator, nothing spoil.
Re: Why Do People Pour Alcoholic Drink On The Floor Before Drinking by duro4chang(m): 10:24am On May 28, 2021
ajilegend:
I have noticed that most times people pour alcoholic drinks especially spirit drinks on the floor before drinking. I want to ask if it's compulsory to do so and what is the rationale behind it before drinking. I noticed that this is even common with Yorubas
To appease the gods now.
Re: Why Do People Pour Alcoholic Drink On The Floor Before Drinking by gentlestdude(m): 11:31am On May 28, 2021
it's inconsequential. Has no meaning to it except if you want to add your own meaning
Re: Why Do People Pour Alcoholic Drink On The Floor Before Drinking by temitope27(m): 11:44am On May 28, 2021
Chop alone and die alone

(1) (Reply)

Meeting! Topic: Is Our Culture A Curse? / ... / I Don't Have A Favorite Colour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.