Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,296 members, 7,815,515 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:46 PM

I Wanna Get Dread Locs, Whats The Big Deal Against It In Naija? - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / I Wanna Get Dread Locs, Whats The Big Deal Against It In Naija? (1644 Views)

Bizzyaski: Working On Female Privates Is No Big Deal To Me / Hair Detail ➡ FAUX LOCS! / How To Care For Baby Locs/dreads. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Wanna Get Dread Locs, Whats The Big Deal Against It In Naija? by Ify27(m): 7:51pm On Apr 30, 2011
i live in the states right now, but im vacationing back home for a few months and my hair is in an afro and is about
3 or 4 inches, i have ''good'' hair and sported natural waves when i get a low cut, and its naturally curly like i have somalian blood in me lol, but i was wondering how easy it will be when i go to naija to have someone keep re twisting it until it hangs on its own?? and why my mom doesnt want me to go to naija with locs? im so confused but im getting ready to blow up arrrhghgh!!!
Re: I Wanna Get Dread Locs, Whats The Big Deal Against It In Naija? by InkedNerd(f): 8:24pm On Apr 30, 2011
"Good" hair?!?! Any hair that is properly cared for and loved is good hair. Anyway. . .

The reason your mother doesn't want you to go to Nigeria with locs is because there are a lot of social connotations associated with having loced hair. As for where you can get them twisted retwisted, I have no idea. If personally think you should get them locked here in the US first before getting them re-twisted in Naija.

A few months back, I posted some videos on a thread on care for loced hair. Even if you couldn't find someone to do your hair, there are ways for you to do it yourself. If you want to have it professionally done, re-twisting you hair in Naija would depend on how long you intend on staying there. For the most part, you should twist your locs as needed. By the way, do you know what kind of locs you want to get?

One more thing, I don't wanna assume things about people but I'm curious to know, were you born in the US?
Re: I Wanna Get Dread Locs, Whats The Big Deal Against It In Naija? by Ify27(m): 9:18pm On Apr 30, 2011
Yeah I was born in Chicago, but i havent been to naija since a baby in the 90's, and i dont have my hair twitsed yet
would it be better to go to a loctition here then during the summer have an aunt or somebody to follow up with the retwisting?
Re: I Wanna Get Dread Locs, Whats The Big Deal Against It In Naija? by InkedNerd(f): 9:29pm On Apr 30, 2011
Hmmm, I had a feeling you were born in the US lol.

Well, I think it would be better to have it done in the US or perhaps you could hold off on getting locs till you come back from Naija. I know you mentioned summer but exactly how long do you intend to staying in the Nigeria?

If you do decide to loc your hair before you leave the US and want someone in Nigeria to re-twist them for you, make sure that the person knows what they are doing and how to care for loced hair.
Re: I Wanna Get Dread Locs, Whats The Big Deal Against It In Naija? by Ify27(m): 9:41pm On Apr 30, 2011
whats wrong with being born in the states?? shocked and ill be in naija for like 5 months
Re: I Wanna Get Dread Locs, Whats The Big Deal Against It In Naija? by InkedNerd(f): 10:01pm On Apr 30, 2011
There's nothing is wrong with being born in the US lol. The reason I said I had a feeling you were born in the US is because it seemed like you weren't aware of the things that are associated with having loced hair which I suppose is ok since some people who weren't born in Naija are unaware of certain things about what is perceived is Nigeria. Honestly, I have nothing against you being born in the US. Sometimes I get a bit heat from some Nigerians because I was raised in the US so I wouldn't even wanna step out of line and do the same to you. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. I meant no harm with my comment.

Ok back to your locs, it all depends on how often you feel the need to re-twist them. Some people re-twist them every three weeks and other wait a bit longer. It totally up to you. I guess you could go with every three weeks if you like. Just make sure you have the proper tools if you're gonna do this while in Naija. Remember, some products here in the states may not be available in Nigeria,
Re: I Wanna Get Dread Locs, Whats The Big Deal Against It In Naija? by Ify27(m): 10:22pm On Apr 30, 2011
oh ok lol you dont owe me an explanation but thanks, and yeah ill retwist the new growth every 3 weeks, i jus dont know what kind of locking gel are available in the port harcourt area, i just want them to be very neat so they can grow long fast
Re: I Wanna Get Dread Locs, Whats The Big Deal Against It In Naija? by InkedNerd(f): 10:37pm On Apr 30, 2011
Why don't you just stock up on locing gel before you go to Naija? Go to a couple of locticians in your area and ask they how much is 5 months worth of locing gel.
Re: I Wanna Get Dread Locs, Whats The Big Deal Against It In Naija? by Ify27(m): 10:52pm On Apr 30, 2011
hen i dont know if they will let me fly international with it, the airports in America a crazy these days
and thier banning everything
Re: I Wanna Get Dread Locs, Whats The Big Deal Against It In Naija? by InkedNerd(f): 11:05pm On Apr 30, 2011
I didn't mean for you to take them as carry on's. You can pack them in your regular suitcase. I stock up on stuff when I travel and I've never had any problems. I'm pretty sure you can still take them on as long as they're not carry on's.
Re: I Wanna Get Dread Locs, Whats The Big Deal Against It In Naija? by Ify27(m): 11:21pm On Apr 30, 2011
oh ok thanks for all the info
Greatly appreciated
Re: I Wanna Get Dread Locs, Whats The Big Deal Against It In Naija? by InkedNerd(f): 11:23pm On Apr 30, 2011
No problem, take care and good luck. Have a safe trip as well.
Re: I Wanna Get Dread Locs, Whats The Big Deal Against It In Naija? by Ify27(m): 11:25pm On Apr 30, 2011
thanks

(1) (Reply)

See The Perfect Christmas Gift For Mumsy, Wifey Or Girlfriend!!! / Hair Wonder. / Help!!! Please How Do I Get Small Square Stones For Clothes?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.