Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,096 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:41 AM

Nigeria Not Under Any Debt Stress, DMO Insists - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Not Under Any Debt Stress, DMO Insists (5555 Views)

13 New Governors Borrowed ₦‎226.8 Billion In Six Months – DMO / DMO Releases List Of Indebted States And How Much They Owe / Lagos State Has Highest Foreign Debt In The Country- DMO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Not Under Any Debt Stress, DMO Insists by adenigga(m): 5:32am On May 31, 2021
Despite the negative toll the debt profile is having on the Nigerian economy, the Debt Management Office (DMO) has insisted that the nation’s debt is still sustainable as it is yet to reach the threshold set by the International Monetary Fund ((IMF) and the World Bank.

According to it, the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) has set maximum debt limit for West African countries at 70 per cent of the nation’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) and Nigeria is still currently at 21 per cent while for external debt, DMO has set 40 per cent benchmark, but the country is still at eight per cent, adding: “Currently, Nigeria’s total external debt as at December 2020 is $33.8 billion ((N12.7 trillion) of which the Federal Government owes $28.5 billion while the states owe $4.7 billion. The domestic debt is $53.04 billion, while the Federal Government’s debt was put at $42.1 billion, the states owed $10.9 billion, putting the total debt at $86 billion (N32. 9 trillion).

The representative of the DMO Director-General, Monday Usiade, disclosed this during a presentation on Nigeria’s local and foreign debt management at the West African Region – Debt Advocacy and Training Sessions in Abuja, organised by the African Network on Environment and Economic Justice (ANEEJ) in partnership with African Forum and Network on Debt and Development (AFRODAD).

He said they had provided the debt sustainability analysis using the World Bank/IMF template which they use to analyse the nation’s debt yearly and advise the government on borrowing, saying looking at Nigeria’s size of economy which is relatively large compared to other smaller countries, its debt to GDP ratio as at 2019 stood at 19 per cent and this is relatively small.

The debt only increased by 1.6 per cent in 2020, he said, adding that if benchmarked with the size of Nigeria’s economy, the country could still generate the needed revenue to service the debt.

Usiade said the DMO office had set a debt specific limit of 40 per cent even though the World Bank and the IMF are advising that we can go up to 55 per cent.

“We have said we will always ensure responsible borrowing, even at the 40 per cent threshold, Nigeria is still at 21 per cent, which is relatively low.

“Looking at all the indicators, Nigeria is not under any debt distress,” he said.

Executive Director of ANEEJ, David Ugolor, in his remarks, said if the debt issue by African countries were not properly managed, it has the potential of quietly sending thousands to early graves and throwing millions of Africans into poverty as economies of some West African countries are already showing early signs.

He pointed out that while IMF debt sustainability analysis as of February 2021 shows that the majority of countries in West Africa have remained in moderate debt distress, further analysis indicates that debt accumulation prior to the outbreak of COVID-19 outpaces the ability of growth performance to support debt servicing.

He lamented that of the 15-member states of ECOWAS, five are already faced with the heavy debt burden.
Source: https://guardian.ng/Nigeria-not-under-any-debt-stress-DMO-insists

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Not Under Any Debt Stress, DMO Insists by helinues: 5:34am On May 31, 2021
Despite the negative toll the debt profile is having on the Nigerian economy

That's the starting of this article yet the DMO are claiming otherwise.

You people can only deceive the gullible ones

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Not Under Any Debt Stress, DMO Insists by bigFOOTcaveMAN(m): 5:36am On May 31, 2021
Yes it's true. Na people dey owe us. Everywhere don turn stew. Infact we are in paradise now.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Not Under Any Debt Stress, DMO Insists by Racoon(m): 5:39am On May 31, 2021
Just as the present illiterate finance minister told us that Nigeria cant stop borrowing.Nigeria government under Buhari is always living in a delusional/gangster paradise

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Not Under Any Debt Stress, DMO Insists by Racoon(m): 5:40am On May 31, 2021
helinues:
That's the starting of this article yet the DMO are claiming otherwise.You people can only receive the gullible ones
Same government you have been doing the yoman job for? You can only "receive" deceive yourself bro but they will continue to "receive" you because they owe you. See who is talking. You cant hoodwink sane people cheesy

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Not Under Any Debt Stress, DMO Insists by lawalosky(m): 5:44am On May 31, 2021
OK. Not bad
Re: Nigeria Not Under Any Debt Stress, DMO Insists by helinues: 5:44am On May 31, 2021
Racoon:
Same government you have been doing the yoman job for? You can only "receive" deceive yourself bro. See who is talking. cheesy

Racoon can only deceive uninformed NL'S..

Except if not on this NL I have been condemning this same government whenever they do wrong..

Reflex dey that means I can support and oppose anytime..

Can same be said about your opposition that never see anything good at all from this government?

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Not Under Any Debt Stress, DMO Insists by Tomide007: 5:45am On May 31, 2021
At all, we're just using 70% of our revenue to service debt abi?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Not Under Any Debt Stress, DMO Insists by Fahdiga1: 5:45am On May 31, 2021
Regime of liars

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Not Under Any Debt Stress, DMO Insists by Kondomatic(m): 5:47am On May 31, 2021
helinues:

Racoon can only deceive uninformed NL'S..

Except if not on this NL I have been condemning this same government whenever they do wrong..

Reflex dey that means I can support and oppose anytime..

Can same be said about your opposition that never see anything good at all from this government?
Show us where this government saw anything good in the past administration.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Not Under Any Debt Stress, DMO Insists by Racoon(m): 5:48am On May 31, 2021
helinues:
Racoon can only deceive uninformed NL'S.. lExcept if not on this NL I have been condemning this same government whenever they do wrong..

Reflex dey that means I can support and oppose anytime.Can same be said about your opposition that never see anything good at all from this government?
There is nothing good about a satanic government bro.Just as a bad product will always remain a bad product.Yours is an enigma.You even often rationalize pure evil and wickedness of a well known wicked government. Ok Nairalanders let vote.Who have been deceiving NLrs here on this forum? .

Like - Helinues
Share - Racoon

19 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Nigeria Not Under Any Debt Stress, DMO Insists by Racoon(m): 5:49am On May 31, 2021
Kondomatic:
Show us where this government saw anything good in the past administration.
Helinue case no be here.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Not Under Any Debt Stress, DMO Insists by helinues: 5:57am On May 31, 2021
Racoon:
There is nothing good about a satanic government bro.Just as a bad product will always remain a bad product.Yours is an enigma.You even often rationalize pure evil and wickedness of a well known wicked government. Ok Nairalanders let vote.Who have been deceiving NLrs here on this forum? .

Like - Helinues
Share - Racoon

You see, I gave you the first share cos na competition wey I no fit win for NL..

Stones vs Buhari's poll on NL still fresh in our memories.

Na for you and your likes to switch on as many as possible monikers to do the justification... How i wish I could give you more than 1 share self

You won already before the poll even started...

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Not Under Any Debt Stress, DMO Insists by bcomputer101: 6:33am On May 31, 2021
The DG is protecting his job.

Money wey we con borrow from China and World Bank nko?

Stop lying, we are servicing debt with almost 63% of our revenue.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Not Under Any Debt Stress, DMO Insists by Koryc: 6:46am On May 31, 2021
Stop borrowing and save us all this narrative.
Re: Nigeria Not Under Any Debt Stress, DMO Insists by InaNla(f): 6:50am On May 31, 2021
JOKERS!
Re: Nigeria Not Under Any Debt Stress, DMO Insists by cbrezy(m): 6:50am On May 31, 2021

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Not Under Any Debt Stress, DMO Insists by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:51am On May 31, 2021
A better Nigeria all around is all we want.
We are not asking for much.

God bless Nigeria.

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria Not Under Any Debt Stress, DMO Insists by Zico5(m): 6:51am On May 31, 2021
You are not under any debt stress and you keep on borrowing. You are not under any debt stress and inflation keep on rising. Buhari and his cohorts are the most useless people on earth. I don't know what they intend to do with this news. Maybe they want the masses to start rejoicing that we can accumulate more debt or probably we can withstand the stress of more borrowing. Let's wait and see how they will solve the issue of lingering petrol subsidy. We are waiting.
Re: Nigeria Not Under Any Debt Stress, DMO Insists by JooEeL(m): 6:51am On May 31, 2021
Nigeria is known for lies, deceit and gaslighting.

The more you follow them, the deeper you dig your pit.

They have their foolish e-diots and cursed vultures everywhere always trying to massage your false hope, like a shepherd fattening his sheep for slaughter.

If you like keep being foolish.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Not Under Any Debt Stress, DMO Insists by InaNla(f): 6:51am On May 31, 2021
[s]
helinues:

You see, I gave you the first share cos na competition wey I no fit win for NL..

Stones vs Buhari's poll on NL still fresh in our memories.

Na for you and your likes to switch on as many as possible monikers to do the justification... How i wish I could give you more than 1 share self

You won already before the poll even started...
[/s]

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Not Under Any Debt Stress, DMO Insists by KingBelieve: 6:52am On May 31, 2021
Wahala dey for this country honestly

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Not Under Any Debt Stress, DMO Insists by 4tomandchi: 6:53am On May 31, 2021
Bunch of hypocrites una go soon cast.

A loaf of bread go soon be 1,000
Pure water 50
Egg 200

5, 10 and 20 will go in extinction like the 50kobo =N=1 and =N=2 coins that we see no more.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Not Under Any Debt Stress, DMO Insists by babyfaceafrica: 6:54am On May 31, 2021
Usiade said the DMO office had set a debt specific limit of 40 per cent even though the World Bank and the IMF are advising that we can go up to 55 per cent.

I am concerned about the above? Western institutions are mean!!! They are advising we can go up to 55%? Like really? I have never really trusted them though.. Very sly people

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Not Under Any Debt Stress, DMO Insists by Globad(f): 6:56am On May 31, 2021
Wrong argument.

Is it GDP that pays your debts?
Re: Nigeria Not Under Any Debt Stress, DMO Insists by mrkings84(m): 6:57am On May 31, 2021
Good
Re: Nigeria Not Under Any Debt Stress, DMO Insists by Vaughanlanrewaj: 7:02am On May 31, 2021

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Not Under Any Debt Stress, DMO Insists by Ezedon(m): 7:02am On May 31, 2021
Too much Alcoholic intake is too bad

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sambisa Forest: Obi Was Right (sreenshots) / E-11 And The Lessons Of History IN Ekiti. / Yoruba Elders Rise From A Meeting, Declare Buhari Persona Non Grata

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.