Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,223 members, 7,860,424 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 10:53 AM

Business Advice - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Business Advice (179 Views)

#50,000,000 Business Advice / I Need Business Advice. I Have 400k / Pick My Brain- I'd Give You A Free Business Advice No Matter Your Budget. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Business Advice by Olamideh2(m): 11:51am On Jun 03, 2021
I am a young school leaver who just graduated few years ago. And after Nysc I started a business with the money I got from my Nysc

So I rented a new shop around a market side and I furnished it, even tiled it , even though the shop was costly. I rent it for 10000 naira per month and I started selling there for some few years. I am just spending 2 years in the shop. I am already getting few customers Bur sales is not improving as I want it

So my friend told me about a new shop in another place near a school gate, I went there cos I liked the location and borrowed money from my elder brother to rent it even though the rent is same as the former place

I then packed all my load from the former one to the new shop, later some people informed my former landlord that I have packed out and my former landlord was disturbing me about the former shop to know if I am still renting it or not

I intentionally kept the key so that I can study the new business in the new environment and know if I can proceed or return back to the former shop

Bur i am just confused

Since I came here to the new shop, sales has not been very okay. Attimes weeks no market unlike where I left cos there are competitors here. But my shop falls in a good location unlike others

Actually I am still holding on to the keys of the former shop
and the landlord in the former place is disturbing me

I don’t want to loose the two locations

I am even confused maybe to call my cousin to be helping me selling there as I study the market in the new shop

Bur I don’t want to loose the former shop if business does not improve in the new shop I just got

I am just confused. I don’t even know what to do ?

The landlord is worried that he wants his rent and he don’t like as his shop is locked

Or should I bring in my cousin to stay there for me for a while and I Stay in the other shop while I sort things and see how things goes for six month. Then I decide ?

I can’t divide myself in two and I know handing a business to another person on my behalf is not a best decision

Please send me your advice here ?
Re: Business Advice by SavageResponse(m): 12:46pm On Jun 03, 2021
Olamideh2:
I am a young school leaver who just graduated few years ago. And after Nysc I started a business with the money I got from my Nysc

So I rented a new shop around a market side and I furnished it, even tiled it , even though the shop was costly. I rent it for 10000 naira per month and I started selling there for some few years. I am just spending 2 years in the shop. I am already getting few customers Bur sales is not improving as I want it

So my friend told me about a new shop in another place near a school gate, I went there cos I liked the location and borrowed money from my elder brother to rent it even though the rent is same as the former place

I then packed all my load from the former one to the new shop, later some people informed my former landlord that I have packed out and my former landlord was disturbing me about the former shop to know if I am still renting it or not

I intentionally kept the key so that I can study the new business in the new environment and know if I can proceed or return back to the former shop

Bur i am just confused

Since I came here to the new shop, sales has not been very okay. Attimes weeks no market unlike where I left cos there are competitors here. But my shop falls in a good location unlike others

Actually I am still holding on to the keys of the former shop
and the landlord in the former place is disturbing me

I don’t want to loose the two locations

I am even confused maybe to call my cousin to be helping me selling there as I study the market in the new shop

Bur I don’t want to loose the former shop if business does not improve in the new shop I just got

I am just confused. I don’t even know what to do ?

The landlord is worried that he wants his rent and he don’t like as his shop is locked

Or should I bring in my cousin to stay there for me for a while and I Stay in the other shop while I sort things and see how things goes for six month. Then I decide ?

I can’t divide myself in two and I know handing a business to another person on my behalf is not a best decision

Please send me your advice here ?

First your landlord has no business disturbing you so long as your rent has not expired.

Second you need to make up your mind quickly and decide which of the shops you will keep so that you don't end up incurring rent for an empty shop for one full year. Apart from this I doubt if you can afford to pay the rents of the two shops when they become due.

This is my stake

If you go back to your original location there is a possibility you can make more profit since you do not have a lot of direct competitors but the downside is that you would need to have more patience and be ready to spend more money on marketing and advertisement.

Staying at the new place means your business will have exposure but your profit margin will not be much since there are more competitors around who are even willing to crash prices in order to get customers to come to their shop.

Another things you also need to bear in mind is that these guys have been there before you so they already have regular customers who will still patronise them; in oder for you to pull these customer away you may have to drop prices or give deep discounts.

I would noty advise you to ask your cousin to stay in one of the shops at this stage cos the business is still a new one and you're still learning the ropes.

What I would tell you is to do a re-assessment of the first location, if it has a lot of pedestrian traffic especially of people who need the type of services you provide that you may consider moving back there.

After all said an done growing a new business requires lots of patience but you also need to come up with other services you can render so you can increase your revenue base.

Good luck!

1 Like

Re: Business Advice by Olamideh2(m): 2:27pm On Jun 03, 2021
Thanks a lot. You get the whole picture perfectly

I really appreciate. I will think it and take a decision

Thanks for the contribution

SavageResponse:

First your landlord has no business disturbing you so long as your rent has not expired.

Second you need to make up your mind quickly and decide which of the shops you will keep so that you don't end up incurring rent for an empty shop for one full year. Apart from this I doubt if you can afford to pay the rents of the two shops when they become due.

This is my stake

If you go back to your original location there is a possibility you can make more profit since you do not have a lot of direct competitors but the downside is that you would need to have more patience and be ready to spend more money on marketing and advertisement.

Staying at the new place means your business will have exposure but your profit margin will not be much since there are more competitors around who are even willing to crash prices in order to get customers to come to their shop.

Another things you also need to bear in mind is that these guys have been there before you so they already have regular customers who will still patronise them; in oder for you to pull these customer away you may have to drop prices or give deep discounts.

I would noty advise you to ask your cousin to stay in one of the shops at this stage cos the business is still a new one and you're still learning the ropes.

What I would tell you is to do a re-assessment of the first location, if it has a lot of pedestrian traffic especially of people who need the type of services you provide that you may consider moving back there.

After all said an done growing a new business requires lots of patience but you also need to come up with other services you can render so you can increase your revenue base.

Good luck!

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Q1 2021: Out Of Recession Into Stagflation / How A Nigerian Built A Multi Million Dollar Gift Company In Nigeria / Advantages And Disadvantages Of Python For Product Development

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.