Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,939 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:13 AM

Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy (1607 Views)

I Gave Up On Programming. I'm Tired Of Programming. I Need To Rest. / Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming / Why Most Beginners Quit Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jun 03, 2021
I was admitted to study Anatomy in the university, but I feel this course will lead me nowhere so I rejected it to focus on programming hopefully I would progress with education in the near future

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by Jashub: 6:53pm On Jun 03, 2021
Skyvexkent:
I was admitted to study Anatomy in the university, but I feel this course will lead me nowhere so I rejected it to focus on programming hopefully I would progress with education in the near future
Nice. Just make sure you stick to your plans
Re: Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jun 03, 2021
Jashub:
Nice. Just make sure you stick to your plans

I LL think about it
Re: Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jun 03, 2021
gringrin highway to hell, you will certainly regret it. Those who drop out have a soft landing you apparently have none since you did not even start. he's on a highway to hell..
Re: Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jun 03, 2021
SegFault:
gringrin highway to hell, you will certainly regret it. Those who drop out have a soft landing you apparently have none since you did not even start. he's on a highway to hell..

Fear dey catch me, that's why I posted here, quitting school for programming, don't know how I got the ginger but I refuse to be defeated yet.
Learning already from afresh on pluralsight

2 Likes

Re: Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:14pm On Jun 03, 2021
Na wa o. I don't even know what to tell you. I just read an article of a UI UX designer that dropped out a Nigerian he works at Facebook now. Men I feel you should have stayed. Done the bare minimum even if it's third class or pass degree absolutely no problem. Just give your all to programming in the university.

6 Likes

Re: Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jun 03, 2021
Skyvexkent:

Fear dey catch me, that's why I posted here, quitting school for programming, don't know how I got the ginger but I refuse to be defeated yet.
Learning already from afresh on pluralsight
Bruhhh. Why not do both. If you give in 3 hours daily for the UX/UI when you are graduating in your final year, you should be able to do basics. I wouldn't suggest that you drop out because one day, if not for the financial aspect you will have cause to show case your result one way or the other. I'm like you too but I've gone past the middle of my bachelor's degree. And I even started learning programming few months ago and I can even create basic landing page site. My point is don't dump one for the other please!!

1 Like

Re: Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by spartan117(m): 1:35am On Jun 04, 2021
Skyvexkent:
Oga go school ooo!
Re: Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by Abcruz(m): 1:57am On Jun 04, 2021
Skyvexkent:

It would've been better to have a certificate you don't need than to latter need a certificate you don't have. You can learn programming alongside your schooling that's what I'm currently doing.

4 Likes

Re: Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by ebixy(m): 2:04am On Jun 04, 2021
It is not the best decision to quit school to exclusively face programming. It is also true that anatomy as a course has little to no job prospects in Nigeria.

I strongly urge you to apply for admission next year for a STEM-based course. It will build your IQ and make you an even better programmer.
And mind you most companies still require a degree for employment.
Re: Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by Karleb(m): 6:20am On Jun 04, 2021
I'm guessing you are still below 30. Write the next jamb. Process your admission. You can put in for less demanding courses like all those core educational courses, they are less demanding. You can start reading a month to exam and still have A all through.

You are Nigerian o. Get your B. Sc or HND.

We don't have the privileges the whites have and things are even getting worse.

Also, if you can still accept this current admission. Do and change the course to something like Guidance and Counseling. You'd have your decent 2.1 and at the end of the 4 years be an employable programmer.

1 Like

Re: Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by Karleb(m): 6:25am On Jun 04, 2021
ebixy:
It is not the best decision to quit school to exclusively face programming. It is also true that anatomy as a course has little to no job prospects in Nigeria.

I strongly urge you to apply for admission next year for a STEM-based course. It will build your IQ and make you an even better programmer.
And mind you most companies still
require a degree for employment.

Wrong!
Re: Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:05am On Jun 04, 2021
Karleb:
I'm guessing you are still below 30. Write the next jamb. Process your admission. You can put in for less demanding courses like all those core educational courses, they are less demanding. You can start reading a month to exam and still have A all through.

You are Nigerian o. Get your B. Sc or HND.

We don't have the privileges the whites have and things are even getting worse.

Also, if you can still accept this current admission. Do and change the course to something like Guidance and Counseling. You'd have your decent 2.1 and at the end of the 4 years be an employable programmer.
Op take this advice. Put in for a less demanding course that it's easy to get good grades or if you want a good course do the absolute bare minimum to get out even if it's a third class grade or pass. I have never seen a programming job asking for grades ever. Nobody fucking cares. The best senior developer I have ever worked with has a music degree and that guy is a fucking genius men. University is even the best place to learn programming. You will have loads of peers with the same passions as you. Loads of networking events. Chances to build and fail. You can build a startup at the university. It's better to do all these when you are young with no risks and responsibilities. Please go to school.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by ebixy(m): 4:03pm On Jun 04, 2021
Karleb:

Wrong!

Show me one company that doesn't require a degree for employment and I'd show you ten that require a degree.

Some companies go as far as requiring a STEM or numerate degree.

1 Like

Re: Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by Karleb(m): 4:14pm On Jun 04, 2021
ebixy:

Show me one company that doesn't require a degree for employment and I'd show you ten that require a degree.

I've interviewed with 4 companies since last week and none has required a degree. One of these companies is on Lagos Island.

If you have degree, fine. If you don't, no problem.

STEM kwa? How would knowledge of STEM allow you center a div?

You people need to be calming down.

1 Like

Re: Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by Etinosa1234: 4:49pm On Jun 04, 2021
Skyvexkent:

Ahh... U get mind ooo

1 Like

Re: Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by ebixy(m): 7:14pm On Jun 04, 2021
Karleb:

I've interviewed with 4 companies since last week and none has required a degree. One of these companies is on Lagos Island.

If you have degree, fine. If you don't, no problem.

STEM kwa? How would knowledge of STEM allow you center a div?

You people need to be calming down.

We are talking about programming in general not just web development or UI/UX.

Data Science, Machine Learning, Artificial intelligence, game development etc.

I'm not sure you can get a job in a serious company in those field above without a degree. In those fields, some even require an advanced degree (Msc, PhD). I can show you numerous samples.

Remember I said MANY, I didn't say ALL companies.

1 Like

Re: Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by Karleb(m): 8:44pm On Jun 04, 2021
ebixy:

We are talking about programming in general not just web development or UI/UX.

Data Science, Machine Learning, Artificial intelligence, game development etc.

I'm not sure you can get a job in a serious company in those field above without a degree. In those fields, some even require an advanced degree (Msc, PhD). I can show you numerous samples.

Remember I said MANY, I didn't say ALL companies.

How did you know this? How many interviews have you attended as HR, Candidate or just an audience?

Bro, I'm talking real life here not some text book, movie or lecture scenario. All you need is to be good and have experience to work with any tech company in this world.

Even FAANG companies recruit college dropouts en mass every year.

2 Likes

Re: Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by ebixy(m): 9:02pm On Jun 04, 2021
Karleb:

How did you know this? How many interviews have you attended as HR, Candidate or just an audience?

Bro, I'm talking real life here not some text book, movie or lecture scenario. All you need is to be good and have experience to work with any tech company in this world.

Real life as a candidate. The degree is like the first thing in the list of requirements. We are talking ratio here, don't cite a few examples here and use it to draw a conclusion.

Don't mislead upcoming programmers. The ratio of tech companies that require a degree for a job far outnumber the ones that don't care about your degree.

3 Likes

Re: Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by Karleb(m): 9:08pm On Jun 04, 2021
ebixy:

Real life as a candidate. The degree is like the first thing in the list of requirements. We are talking ratio here, don't cite a few examples here and use it to draw a conclusion.

Don't mislead upcoming programmers. The ratio of tech companies that require a degree for a job far outnumber the ones that don't care about your degree.

Toor!

1 Like

Re: Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by Millz404(m): 9:27pm On Jun 04, 2021
ebixy:

Google

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/16/15-companies-that-no-longer-require-employees-to-have-a-college-degree.html

1 Like

Re: Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jun 04, 2021
Thanks everyone for your inputs, reading through this have helped me reconsider my stance, I can still go for Anatomy ( all I LL have to do is pay the school acceptance fee).

Mehn I left home to work so as not to be pressured by parents

I LL have to sit back think about this and know if I can pull this through with programming ( spoiler alert) I love tech computer and money.
But school ( not too motivated shaa)

I LL reason about this again.
Re: Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by Codedboy95(m): 2:48pm On Jun 05, 2021
If you are goal-oriented and really serious, please don't waste your time going to school, atleast not in Nigeria. I wasted almost 6 years in school studying an agric course and i regret it. now, I am doing pretty fine as a backend engineer and for all the jobs I have worked, I have never for once had to provide my degree. If you become very good and land a good job, you can study abroad and get a degree in two years.

1 Like

Re: Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by Etinosa1234: 7:51pm On Jun 06, 2021
Codedboy95:
If you are goal-oriented and really serious, please don't waste your time going to school, atleast not in Nigeria. I wasted almost 6 years in school studying an agric course and i regret it. now, I am doing pretty fine as a backend engineer and for all the jobs I have worked, I have never for once had to provide my degree. If you become very good and land a good job, you can study abroad and get a degree in two years.

Did u start coding and freelance while in school?
Re: Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by escapefromusa(f): 8:29pm On Jun 06, 2021
Skyvexkent:

Two paths.
Software developer, Software engineer.

Software engineer has comp.sci qualified or knowledgeable in fundamental comp.sci

Software dev. Framework and all that crap that makes you expendable.

Take a diploma in comp.sci atleast. Or switch to maths or math education.
Re: Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by Codedboy95(m): 11:20pm On Jun 06, 2021
Etinosa1234:

Did u start coding and freelance while in school?
yes I did. I started with fiverr then moved to upwork
Re: Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jun 07, 2021
Karleb:

There are many non-degree positions.

There are more degree positions.

In some cases your schooling is waved for experience.

Most of the advertised positions require a degree. You can easily confirm that your self online.

If one has the opportunity for higher education fine and if not fine. Just brace yourself to prove competency.

However it's misleading to say that "FAANG companies recruit college dropouts en mass every year"

1 Like

Re: Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by trytillmake(m): 10:21pm On Jun 07, 2021
Basically u can do both, i wont advice u quit bro, the university system is a school in itself also u can do both wella, what do u do with yr free time, u learn all the programming u want with it. Guy do not quit except also u really have a profitable end.

1 Like

Re: Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jun 19, 2022
Been trying to do both, yeth both my academic and programming life(I can only boast of the basis in python with only two scripts on my GitHub profile no more no less) is going through alot.
Financial life go soon join Dem.
Multi tasking is a heinous crime
Re: Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by Dannydrums889: 11:08am On Apr 10, 2023
Been trying to do both, yeth both my academic and programming life(I can only boast of the basis in python with only two scripts on my GitHub profile no more no less) is going through alot.
Financial life go soon join Dem.
Multi tasking is a heinous crime
Hello bro
How have you been coping with the two (academic and programming)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:17am On Apr 10, 2023
I hope the op of this thread didn't quit his degree o. Tech isn't what it used to be in 2021 and with a drug baron as president, remote jobs will become harder due to Nigerias reputation.

4 Likes

Re: Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy by JoyousFurnitire(m): 11:56am On Apr 10, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
I hope the op of this thread didn't quit his degree o. Tech isn't what it used to be in 2021 and with a drug baron as president, remote jobs will become harder due to Nigerias reputation.

Lol. I remember this thread just like yesterday.

Fact is he'll be fine, worst he'll have gotten an intern role or be ready for entry level.

(1) (Reply)

Who Writes In Basic? / Is There Any Free Online Course I Can Take On Sofware Programming? / My 4 New Android Apps Coming Out Soon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.