Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,357 members, 7,868,033 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 09:29 AM

Is This The Developed North That Everyone Is Yapping About? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is This The Developed North That Everyone Is Yapping About? (2019 Views)

Wondering Why The Developed World Calls Africa A Dark Continent? Have A Look / how jonathan a biafra built amalgamation tower of biafra/north that cause war / The North That Southerners Don’t Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is This The Developed North That Everyone Is Yapping About? by ayinba1(f): 11:27am On May 03, 2011
@Ileke- Idi,
This is a good thread. Hopefully, people will reason and understand that basic human needs are universal.

@Beaf,
Campaign is over. Your post is really in poortaste. GEJ is the President now, (actually has been for over a year), so what kind of message are you passing with your post?

I do not believe that the development of Northern Nigeria lies in the hands of FG just as I do not believe that of Oshun lies in the hands of FG. What are the Northern leaders doing with the resources allocated to each state?

Each group of people have been brainwashed to accept the status quo. For the northerners, they have been brain bleached. Even their educated class are just waiting per chance, they will become a member of the ruling elite. This is totally unsustainable. So what happens if the almajiris make the North unlivable for the non- northerners and they flee to the South? The masses of the North continue to kill each other, and then maybe, just maybe, there will be an awakening and they will turn on their elites. At the end of the day, it is still ugly because they have no structures to replace the ruling elite.

The educated middle class is absent, silent or also brain bleached.

The few exceptions are Colonel Umar, CBN governor/ Seriously, there has to be a few more activists in the North championing against gluttony and corruption of their leaders.

I lived in the North for many years and net very brilliant people but i tis almost as if they have been trained never to voice dissent against their leaders.

Really sad.
Re: Is This The Developed North That Everyone Is Yapping About? by ektbear: 11:38am On May 03, 2011
ayinba1:

I do not believe that the development of Northern Nigeria lies in the hands of FG just as I do not believe that of Oshun lies in the hands of FG. What are the Northern leaders doing with the resources allocated to each state?

This really is the heart of the matter. What ndu_chuks wants to dance around and avoid. Development of states is the responsibility of the leaders of those states. Guys who've pissed away the money they've gotten cannot then turn around and blame someone else for their state's misfortunes. Those northern states have received hefty allocations since 1999. What has happened to them? Where have they gone?

This lack of accountability is appalling.

Or will you claim that these governors were imposed on you by outsiders, ndu_chuks?
Re: Is This The Developed North That Everyone Is Yapping About? by Nobody: 4:44pm On May 03, 2011
revomind:

There's nothing new here, IDI

Maybe for folks who haven't really spent time in the country, but for peeps like me who have spent a considerable chunk of our lives up north, No.
I think you should follow Beaf's advice and maybe read up whatever u see in the link he provided. Its not the job of ordinary southerners to 'save' them, that's the government's job. I'm sure you know that merely sympathizing with them is a waste of time. There's poverty in all parts of Nigeria, best believe tha[b]t. Their conditions wouldn't change until their elites change and be a little more responsible.[/b] The Emir of Kano went to university in the UK and yet is sitting comfortably as the traditional and spiritual leader of a state with the most sickening number of almajiris. Hausa people , place so much premium on their leaders so by implication , they need to do much more than they have been doing over the years.

No one is saying it's up to the South to deliver the North.

But most Southerners live in a delusional grandeur believing the Northerners are more developed than the South or that most of Nigeria's money is used to develop the North.

Like I said, enforce education in this regions and all other things will follow. People will be more enlightened.
Re: Is This The Developed North That Everyone Is Yapping About? by Nobody: 4:47pm On May 03, 2011
ndu_chucks:

IlekeBebe idi, I"ve been telling you all that the most marginalized Nigerians are the ordinary folks of the ND area and their counterparts in the North. The plight of these people as shown by your posts here and evident by a short visit to the rural areas in the ND, is a complete disgrace to all Nigerians.

The so-called leaders who hail from North, South, East, and West are responsible for this disgrace. Additionally, elite Nigerians such as you, IlekeBebe idi, ekt_bear, and others, who sit idly bye and allow these attrocities to continue without vigorously protesting, while continuing to elect the same irresponsible leaders, are co-conspirators. For that, I say, shame on you too.

Ok shame on me for sitting by and allowing these atrocities to continue. What exactly have you done or what position are you in politics that makes you different from me. The most I can do, as of now, is to make the situation in the North an awareness.
Re: Is This The Developed North That Everyone Is Yapping About? by revomind(m): 4:54pm On May 03, 2011
On point.

The 'development' up north is merely cosmetic. Granted, they have stretches of good roads and all but how is the common man living? I think ,for this, the political class up north is more criminal than their southern counterparts. The educated ones save for a few of them like Sanusi and Col. Umar simply do not speak up loud enough. For instance, an Hausa friend of mine, a lawyer, once defended the almajiri system of education up north claiming its 'culture'. I believe people like this are only waiting for their turn to join the same group of people who have kept their home region in darkness.

Fair enough.

The vast majority of them are too uneducated to hold their leaders responsible. I remember the outgoing Governor of Borno remarking on how unlucky southern governors are with the level of criticism that comes their way due to the high level of enlightenment relative to what obtains in the North in their respective states.

It can be argued they all rallied round a man they perceived to be a symbol of truth and change but I feel raising Buhari to that profile is an insult to our collective history as a country. They should have done better than Buhari in my honest opinion.

Well what can one say, we are all part of an underdeveloped third world country.
Re: Is This The Developed North That Everyone Is Yapping About? by Nobody: 5:03pm On May 03, 2011
revomind:

On point.

The 'development' up north is merely cosmetic. Granted, they have stretches of good roads and all but how is the common man living? I think ,for this, the political class up north is more criminal than their southern counterparts. The educated ones save for a few of them like Sanusi and Col. Umar simply do not speak up loud enough. For instance, an Hausa friend of mine, a lawyer, once defended the almajiri system of education up north claiming its 'culture'. I believe people like this are only waiting for their turn to join the same group of people who have kept their home region in darkness.

Fair enough.

The vast majority of them are too uneducated to hold their leaders responsible. I remember the outgoing Governor of Borno remarking on how unlucky southern governors are with the level of criticism that comes their way due to the high level of enlightenment relative to what obtains in the North in their respective states.

It can be argued they all rallied round a man they perceived to be a symbol of truth and change but I feel raising Buhari to that profile is an insult to our collective history as a country. They should have done better than Buhari in my honest opinion.

Well what can one say, we are all part of an underdeveloped third world country.

I totally agree with this post.

Not sure what Buhari has to do with anything tho.

In a region where only a few is privilege to get education, the educated ones will make use of the privilege that comes out of that education for their personal gain.

You can develop the North up till forever and a day, without education and proper enlightenment, the development is a waste. It's not totally their fault for choosing the lifestyle they live in now, they've been deceived and left astray by vile politicians. These people are innocent and suffering with the rest of Nigeria.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Comrade Ovuzere Macaulay Appointed Delta State Ssg; Is It A Signal Of Hope? / Fatal Accident Involving An 18 Seater Commercial Bus(picture) / Angry Lagos Youths Beat House Of Reps Member

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.