Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,496 members, 7,812,534 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:55 PM

Jonathan Reassures Women On 35% Representation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Reassures Women On 35% Representation (736 Views)

Women Representation Under Buhari Poorer Than Past Administrations – UN / Economic Growth Falls To 2.35% - National Bureau Of Statistics / FG Reassures Nigerians Of 20,000MW Of Electricity By 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Reassures Women On 35% Representation by Beaf: 7:14am On May 03, 2011
[size=14pt]Jonathan reassures women on 35% representation [/size]
Tuesday, 03 May 2011

President Goodluck Jonathan has again stated that his promise made on the 35 per cent representation of women in governance will be fulfilled.

Jonathan gave the re-assurance, on Monday in Abuja, at the 2011 Partnership-Funded Mentorship Summit for African Women, organised by the African Women Leaders’ Think Tank (AWLTT).

“In Nigeria, today, we have many competent and credible women who have built capacities in thousands of lives, contributed immensely to building the civil, public, and private service sectors.

“Women have championed debt relief, grew the stock exchange, waged war against fake drugs, ensured justice and human rights and so on.

“These facts made me to promise during my campaigns that the 35 per cent representation of women in governance will be fulfilled,” he said.

The president explained that the Nigerian society had been making progress because women were involved in top leadership positions in the executive, legislative and judiciary arms of government.

He noted that Africa’s population has a 50-50 value of both male and female gender, adding that to have a balanced society, the two halves must have equal access to opportunities to leadership and participation.

According to the president, when one half is disempowered or excluded, there cannot be a balanced growth and development, hence the need for inclusion of all in governance.

Jonathan, who was represented by the Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Hajiya Salamatu Suleiman, said that the female leadership development had to be a critical part in ensuring development in the country.

Speaking at the event, The AWLTT Chairperson for Africa, Dr Remi Aribisala, said that the aim of the summit was to create an avenue whereby the best of African womanhood and the future women leaders discuss comprehensively on the impact of mentoring.

“It is aimed at mentoring women on personal career and ethical lifestyles towards a better African society.

“We need to help women take advantage of best practices of women leaders and thereafter become a better agent of change in the African society,” she said.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/21337-jonathan-reassures-women-on-35-representation
Re: Jonathan Reassures Women On 35% Representation by PhysicsMHD(m): 11:25pm On May 03, 2011
I'm skeptical.

Too many power hungry men for this to be realized, but if they make some progress, it'll probably improve Nigeria's politics.
Re: Jonathan Reassures Women On 35% Representation by zstranger: 11:30pm On May 03, 2011
^^^

How?
Re: Jonathan Reassures Women On 35% Representation by EkoIle1: 11:35pm On May 03, 2011
There are many Bianca and madam re branding out there to fill the slots, nothing but incompetency Part 2 from top to bottom.
Re: Jonathan Reassures Women On 35% Representation by PhysicsMHD(m): 11:57pm On May 03, 2011
zstranger:

^^^

How?

It could reduce some of the do or die politics (violence, thuggery, intimidation), and it could bring attention to previously ignored areas that women might tend to focus more on (female mutilation in some parts of the country, HIV, child labor, etc.). I just think it would change the "atmosphere" of Nigeria's politics. Sorry if that's vague, but I just have a hunch that things would be a bit different.
Re: Jonathan Reassures Women On 35% Representation by jensinmi(m): 12:03am On May 04, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

It could reduce some of the do or die politics (violence, thuggery, intimidation), and it could bring attention to previously ignored areas that women might tend to focus more on (female mutilation in some parts of the country, HIV, child labor, etc.). I just think it would change the "atmosphere" of Nigeria's politics. Sorry if that's vague, but I just have a hunch that things would be a bit different.

Tales by moonlight.
Re: Jonathan Reassures Women On 35% Representation by PhysicsMHD(m): 12:03am On May 04, 2011
jensinmi:

Tales by moonlight.

I take it you have a contrary view. Care to elaborate?
Re: Jonathan Reassures Women On 35% Representation by zstranger: 12:11am On May 04, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

I guess GEJ should make it 85%, instead of 35%, since, according to you, WOMEN have qualities inherent in them that make them more suitable for politics and good governance than men.

Am I missing something? Is that what you are trying to say? That WOMEN, just by being WOMEN, are better than men and less prone to corruption, violence and bad administration?
Re: Jonathan Reassures Women On 35% Representation by PhysicsMHD(m): 12:20am On May 04, 2011
zstranger:

I guess GEJ should make it 85%, instead of 35%, since, according to you, WOMEN have qualities inherent in them that make them more suitable for politics and good governance than men.

Am I missing something? Is that what you are trying to say? That WOMEN, just by being WOMEN, are better than men and less prone to corruption, violence and bad administration?

I mean they would be less prone to

* political violence (there's almost certainly a reason that most violent crimes are committed, planned, or carried out by men)
* excessive arrogance (see Ikedi Ohakim, the governor that invited a man to the governor's house to personally flog the man, over some silly offense)

I didn't say anything about corruption. Anyone can love money too much. Gender doesn't enter into it.

But there are other aspects of the political atmosphere that I think would change with greater female political participation. Would the violence that erupted in Akwa Ibom, for example, really have been just as likely to happen between two female political opponents of different parties? Maybe I'm stereotyping, but I think my hunch is probably right.
Re: Jonathan Reassures Women On 35% Representation by Nobody: 12:24am On May 04, 2011
jensinmi:

Tales by moonlight.

Why is it tales my moonlight. I agree, not because I'm a woman, but because he's correct. But why do you disagree?
Re: Jonathan Reassures Women On 35% Representation by ektbear: 12:46am On May 04, 2011
I like the idea of additional women's representation, and think it'd help. There is no way that men alone have a monopoly on talent on this planet.

There are probably some studies that have been done on the relationship between women's participation in democracy and good governance. . . wouldn't be surprised if it helps a lot.
Re: Jonathan Reassures Women On 35% Representation by OAM4J: 12:52am On May 04, 2011
I really dont support the 35% women representation. Let the office be occupied by the most capable (male or female)

And about time women stick to  their gender equality principle, they should win and get political offices by merit and not just because they are women.
Re: Jonathan Reassures Women On 35% Representation by ektbear: 12:55am On May 04, 2011
OAM4J:

I really dont support the 35% women representation. Let the office be occupied by the most capable (male or female)

And about time women stick to  their gender equality principle, they should win and get political offices by merit and not just because they are women.

If it were merit alone, then women would probably be close to 50% (unless we believe that women are less talented at leadership than guys.) Yet for some reason, they are not anywhere near this #.

That should tell you that more than merit goes into this stuff.

Anyway, let's do the 35% for 20-30 years, then hopefully at some point after that it won't be necessary.
Re: Jonathan Reassures Women On 35% Representation by Nobody: 1:06am On May 04, 2011
OAM4J:

I agree with you. Let women win because they're quipped with the required credentials, not because they're women.

But you also forgot to take into account that Nigerian politics is made extra hard for women.
Re: Jonathan Reassures Women On 35% Representation by EzeUche3(m): 1:06am On May 04, 2011
Maybe Nigeria should look to Rwanda for inspiration. The Rwandan constitution makes it mandatory that at least 30% of the seats in Parliament should be designated for women.

Nigeria can only succeed if we include women in governance.  cool

Re: Jonathan Reassures Women On 35% Representation by OAM4J: 1:18am On May 04, 2011
ekt_bear:

If it were merit alone, then women would probably be close to 50% (unless we believe that women are less talented at leadership than guys.) Yet for some reason, they are not anywhere near this #.

That should tell you that more than merit goes into this stuff.

Anyway, let's do the 35% for 20-30 years, then hopefully at some point after that it won't be necessary.

The problem is that many Nigerian/African women are to scared to contest election. they need to be brave and courageous. No one will notice how good/brilliant they are if they do not come out of their quiet corners.

They cannot continue to rely on the president giving them appointments just cos there is a 35% representation that should be met. A right that is a gift is no right, you must earn and enforce your right.

Ileke-IdI:

I agree with you. Let women win because they're quipped with the required credentials, not because they're women.

But you also forgot to take into account that Nigerian politics is made extra hard for women.

I do not see Nigeria political terrain becoming easier for women any time soon. Women like you just need to take the bull by the horn.

Take a sample of this political section of NL for instance, how many females come here to discuss politics like they discuss romance?
Re: Jonathan Reassures Women On 35% Representation by Nobody: 1:32am On May 04, 2011
OAM4J:

The problem is that many Nigerian/African women are to scared to contest election. they need to be brave and courageous. No one will notice how good/brilliant they are if they do not come out of their quiet corners.

They cannot continue to rely on the president giving them appointments just cos there is a 35% representation that should be met. A right that is a gift is no right, you must earn and enforce your right.

I do not see Nigeria political terrain becoming easier for women any time soon. Women like you just need to take the bull by the horn.

Take a sample of this political section of NL for instance, how many females come here to discuss politics like they discuss romance?

LOL If you say so.

But I still support GEJ sha. This new move will attract politics to women, because they're assured a space. This is better than nothing, dont you agree?

We're not relying on GEJ, I believe Nigerian men are the ones relying on "people they know". Can you imagine the likes of Bankola and Iyabo getting spaces fair and square? Most of these politicians are political who res going from one political pim p daddy to the next.
Re: Jonathan Reassures Women On 35% Representation by zstranger: 1:37am On May 04, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

LOL If you say so.

But I still support GEJ sha. This new move will attract politics to women, because they're assured a space. This is better than nothing, dont you agree?

We're not relying on GEJ, I believe Nigerian men are the ones relying on "people they know". Can you imagine the likes of Bankola and Iyabo getting spaces fair and square? Most of these politicians are political who res going from one political pim p daddy to the next.

[size=18pt]ROFLMAO[/size]

Ileke-leke-leke-leke-leke.

Women ko, ashawo ni
Re: Jonathan Reassures Women On 35% Representation by jensinmi(m): 1:37am On May 04, 2011
With this single declaration, Iyabo Obasanjo has been guaranteed a ministerial position.

I doubt there are many women in politics who can be allowed to chance Baba's daughter.
Re: Jonathan Reassures Women On 35% Representation by Beaf: 8:06am On May 04, 2011
jensinmi:

Tales by moonlight.

We need to get over this fear of equality for our women folk. Its even worse when it is realised that the unfortunate attitude Nigerian males have toward women came with the missioneries on their boats and trans-Saharan caravans.
Before these foreigners came, society was much more balanced. Our history is sprinkled with very powerful women like Queen Idia of Benin, Queen Amina of Zauzau; in my own neck of the woods, Uroho.

Women form a full half of society and are every bit as capable as men, to ignore them is to enslave half our population. Aside from the backwardness and wickedness on the part of the perpetrators, the negative effects on society and general development are exponential. We need to go back to our roots and recognise the strength of our women, they are our nuturers and the mothers of the country. Give a woman a chance and you have given a breadth of life to many.
Re: Jonathan Reassures Women On 35% Representation by akpos4uall(m): 8:43am On Jul 11, 2014
Despite the fact that not up to 35% female participation has been achieved as promised, the few ones have been heavily criticized especially by the opposition.

(1) (Reply)

Pdp Must Go. / Governor Akpabio’s Militia Go After Journalist Anyalewechi / Nigeria Hunters & Farmers Union To Gej : Zone Agric Minister To South!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.