Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,497 members, 7,954,907 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:11 PM

How Common Is Skin Cancer In Black People? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Common Is Skin Cancer In Black People? (261 Views)

Nosy Ude: How I Beat Cancer In 8 Months / Aondofa Akure, Man With Eye Cancer In Benue (Graphic Photos) / Man Hit By Severe Form Of Mouth Cancer In North (Disturbing Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Common Is Skin Cancer In Black People? by Chin168: 8:16am On Jun 06, 2021

Have you checked your sunscreen expiration date recently? Do you need to replace your old sun protection clothing or that worn-out sun hat? Among other things, May was Skin Cancer Awareness Month, which reminds us to prepare for the sunny days ahead, especially as summer approaches. The sun may be a great source for vitamin D but to much of it can cause damage to your skin. Even though it is said that Black don’t crack, contrary to popular belief, Black people can have skin cancer. That is why, it is important to frequently examine your skin and also schedule a routine visit with your dermatologist / doctor for a complete skin exam.

Skin cancer is generally not common among Black people or people with darker skin. This has led to the belief that dark and black skin tones are immune to the ravages of the sun. However, while the prevalence of melanoma––the most serious type of skin cancer––is lower on dark skin, its prognosis is even less favorable. The rampancy of melanoma has increased considerably in recent decades, in particular, because of our overexposure to the sun. So what exactly is melanoma? Melanoma is a malignant tumor of melanocytes, the cells that make melanin. However, significant exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun or tanning machines promotes the deregulation of these cells.
[urlhttps://retroworldnews.com/how-common-is-skin-cancer-in-black-people/][/url]

(1) (Reply)

Is My Contraceptives Causing High Blood Pressure? / "My Mum Has Bone Cancer, Please Help Me" / I Want To Donate My Organs To Anyone In Need Assistance Of It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.