Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,441 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:56 PM

Learn To Critize Your Leaders, Is Not Everytime You Praise Them -Richard Akinola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Learn To Critize Your Leaders, Is Not Everytime You Praise Them -Richard Akinola (318 Views)

Which Of These Two Leaders Is A Real Motivation For Success? (pics) / Time To Do Away With Analog Leaders Is Now ― Sowore / 2019 Election: The Time To Do Away With Old Leaders Is Now ― Sowore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Learn To Critize Your Leaders, Is Not Everytime You Praise Them -Richard Akinola by SexyBabe001: 5:11pm On Jun 06, 2021
We are all wired differently and l don’t begrudge anyone from taking to his or her path of public engagement. After all, that’s what choices are all about. Mind you, I’m not always right.

There are those, due to various reasons, would defend the government, no matter how ridiculous the action of the government is. And there are those who do not see anything good in a particular government. It’s their prerogative. Some of us praise when necessary and lampoon when it is essential.

But I’m of the strong view that for you to help a leader that you claim you love, you don’t have to show loyalty by supporting everything he does, except you believe such a person is infallible. I was close to Fashola as a governor but l never shied from criticizing him, even publicly, over certain policy actions.

Let me explain what l mean as l stated on pages 90 and 91 of my recent book -FLASHBACK.

“THE “BEENI SIR” SYNDROME

In February 1995, l told Chief Gani Fawehinmi that I wanted to have a private meeting with him. I had noticed certain things around him which l didn’t like and because of our close relationship, l felt l needed to discuss with him one-on-one.
He fixed the date and at the beginning of the meeting, I instructed his office assistant that she shouldn’t allow any visitor or staff members to come in.
I spoke with Chief candidly, shooting from the hips. “I need to save you from yourself”, l told him. He was nodding intermittently. In the course of our meeting, the intercom buzzed and he attempted to pick it up but l “ordered” him not to pick. “Sorry Chief, you can’t pick that call until I’m through with you”. And he complied. At the end of the meeting, he thanked me profusely and promised to make amends.
He was not bound by my suggestions but because he respected me and he knew I did that out of genuine love and he appreciated my intervention.

Few days after, we were in his office and a close associate, instead of disagreeing with Chief over an issue, rather prodded him on by saying “beeni sir” (True sir). I got angry and told the person “stop deceiving this man by telling him ‘beeni sir’. Chief is wrong.
Then, Gani said:”Richard is a man who is so scrupulously honest that his word is his bond, anytime, any day.”

Why am l saying this? The greatest problem of leaders is their diehard, blind supporters. To them, it is “see no evil, talk no evil”.
Criticism is an anathema. But you see, praise singing would send a leader into perdition. Let your leader feel the heat so that things can improve. It is in his own interest. “Beeni sir” syndrome would not help him, if you really claim to Iove him.”

Perhaps, my upbringing had a part to play in my attitude to public engagements. I grew up in a rather liberal environment where our father allowed us to express ourselves. I could look at my dad and disagree with him or even fight on behalf of other siblings if l felt they were unfairly treated. So, that upbringing might have shaped my worldview.

Therefore, criticizing a leader does not mean you meant evil but it’s to his own good.
Conversely, when you don’t see anything wrong by the president, his ministers or institutions, no matter how ridiculous, l shudder.

Buhari cannot do wrong;
Malami cannot do wrong;
Lai Mohammed cannot do wrong;
Garba Shehu cannot do wrong;
Pantami cannot do wrong;
Keyamo cannot do wrong;
Amaechi cannot do wrong;
C’mon, give me a break!
The last time l checked, we didn’t elect Jesus Christ as president.

Source:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2000725020104136&id=100004999711703

Lalasticlala
Seun

1 Like

Re: Learn To Critize Your Leaders, Is Not Everytime You Praise Them -Richard Akinola by SexyBabe001: 5:12pm On Jun 06, 2021
This is a good read and very very thought provoking

(1) (Reply)

Oh U All Thought Pure water Becoming 10naira Was D End? / Tension, Anger In Police Academy As Nigerian Police Refuses To Pass Out Cadets / What Are The Duties Of A Vice President?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.