Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,282 members, 7,836,256 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

Alex (manu) Could End Up Empty-handed - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Alex (manu) Could End Up Empty-handed (552 Views)

Alex Ferguson’s Last Chewed Gum For Sale On E-bay / Sir Alex Ferguson Blames Nani For MANU Defeat To Chelsea / Alex Song Vs John Mikel Obi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Alex (manu) Could End Up Empty-handed by Kennyblues(m): 10:23am On May 03, 2011
ALEX FERGUSON is on the verge of leading Manchester United to a brilliant domestic and European double.
Fergie will celebrate 25 years in charge at Old Trafford in November.

And it would be some effort if this legend of a manager is holding both the Premier League and Champions League crowns when he reaches that amazing landmark.

But I believe United could end the season with absolutely nothing.

That their season could end in tears.

They find themselves in a terrific position against Schalke for tomorrow's Champions League semi-final, second leg.

They are 2-0 up after the clash in Germany and I'm certain they will reach the final. United are also three points clear of their nearest challengers in the League which ordinarily, with just three games to go, would be an incredibly strong position.

But at the moment, I actually make Chelsea slight favourites to snatch the title. Amazing, when you think 15 points separated the two clubs on March 1.

I tipped Chelsea at the start of the season but thought I'd got it totally wrong when United hit cruise control and seemed to be moving clear.

But as we saw at the Emirates on Sunday, United are still unconvincing on the road and this is proved by the fact they have won just five times away from home.

Their record at Old Trafford is strong but on Sunday they face a Chelsea team who have won on two of their previous three visits, so it is going to be some match.

People talk about Carlo Ancelotti's ageing squad but I believe the experience of the group is giving them an edge at this crucial part of the season. They have been here before.

Ancelotti and his troops are also getting a bit of luck at this stage of the season, as we saw against Spurs on Saturday.

But Chelsea still have players who can cause real damage when they are on their A game.

That is why I think they will beat United on Sunday and, against all the odds, the west Londoners could edge the title.

It has been such an inconsistent season from all the big teams and it's almost seemed like no one wanted to win the title.

Obviously if you finish top, then you are the best team in that division. But there has not been an outstanding side. United have kept slipping up, there was the Chelsea blip and Arsenal have drawn too many games.

I certainly do not think we will see another campaign when the top sides make so many mistakes.

While there is not an absolutely amazing team in the Premier League, you have to remember that winning the championship is no mean feat. It is still a top achievement.

It would be remarkable for Fergie to guide the club to their record 19th championship, even though he has put together teams which have been more spectacular.

Equally, it would be some occasion to see United win Europe's top honour at Wembley.

But while they will clearly breeze past their German opposition in the last four, Barcelona are the likely opponents in the final.

Right now, I think United would struggle against the Spaniards.

United were disappointing at Arsenal and there is no doubt that my former team deserved to win.

It was a bit frustrating seeing the side put in a performance like that because I looked back at some of their slip-ups at home against Sunderland, Blackburn, Newcastle and West Brom, and asked myself why they could not win those matches.

I am sure Arsene Wenger will finally spend some money in the summer, although the same applies to Chelsea, Manchester City and United.

Players like Ashley Young and Gareth Bale will be in great demand and I'm sure records will be broken for the amount of cash being thrown about.

Because, at the moment, the chasing pack - including teams like City, Spurs and Liverpool - are not that far away.

And we should all be thankful that English football's top-flight is certainly not predictable.

Courtesy SEM Gr

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3559747/Ian-Wright-believes-Manchester-United-boss-Alex-Ferguson-could-end-up-empty-handed.html
Re: Alex (manu) Could End Up Empty-handed by Beaf: 3:37am On May 05, 2011
In what part of okija do they find bad winshes like Ian Wright? angry

(1) (Reply)

Ryan Giggs Bro Rhodri Dumps Wife Over Her Affair With Ryan / Chelsea 'could Have Signed Fernando Torres For £20m? / Nasri Mocks Arsenal For Finishing Third As Manchester City Celebrate Premier Lea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.