Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,320 members, 7,815,616 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:20 PM

25 Years After, Chioma Ajunwa Yet To Receive House Promised For Olympic Gold Fea - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 25 Years After, Chioma Ajunwa Yet To Receive House Promised For Olympic Gold Fea (686 Views)

Chioma Ajunwa Decorated Deputy Commissioner Of Police / Photos Of The 3-Bedroom Apartment Chioma Ajunwa Got From Lagos Government / Chioma Ajunwa: I Built Three Rooms With Abiola’s Money (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

25 Years After, Chioma Ajunwa Yet To Receive House Promised For Olympic Gold Fea by Oliveloaded(m): 3:50am On Jun 07, 2021
Chioma Ajunwa, Atlanta 1996 Olympic gold medalist and first black woman to win a gold medal at the games in long jump, has revealed that she still hasn’t received the house she was promised by the then Lagos government of Olagunsoye Oyinlola.

Speaking on Sunday afternoon on ‘The Chat’, a Channels Television programme, Ajunwa also said how she had to retire early because Nigeria did not take care of her when she had injuries.

Ajunwa suffered an injury at the finals of the World Championship in Spain, but like many athletes who have injuries when representing the country, she was not taken care of.

“I thought that my country would have taken care of me, but they never did,” she said.

“When I came back I kept on going to the athletic federation, then the ministry; they never helped me. If my country had come to my aid, I wouldn’t have retired when I did.”

When she won the first gold medal for Nigeria, Ajunwa was given a national award, the Member of the Order of the Niger (MON), and was promoted from the rank of an Inspector to an Assistant Superintendent 1 (ASP1) by Gen. Sani Abacha, the then Head of State. She said she equally received N1 million.

Olagunsoye Oyinlola was the military administrator of Lagos State at the time and gave a three bed-room house for the gold medalists from the Olympics. However, Ajunwa said she was told she wouldn’t get it because she is not a Lagosian.

“I was not even given the house much less having it taken back,” she said in response to whether the house was taken back from her.

Ajunwa said she still felt bad about not being given the house and felt she was more of an object of ridicule compared to other colleagues who switched citizenship to other countries.

Ajunwa, an officer with the Nigeria Police Force which she joined before being an athlete, said that it was through the Police she made the national camp for the first time in her life.

In 1992 when she was banned from competing for failing a drug test, despite maintaining her innocence, it was the Police that paid for the drug tests she was to take to make her eligible to compete in the 1996 Atlanta Olympics.

She revealed that the Nigeria Police was the reason she ignored calls to compete for other countries and instead returned to Nigeria.

“I came back to Nigeria to do police work, to appreciate them, and to give back to the police that made me,” she said.

https://nnc.com.ng/25-years-after-chioma-ajunwa-yet-to-receive-house-promised-for-olympic-gold-feat/
Re: 25 Years After, Chioma Ajunwa Yet To Receive House Promised For Olympic Gold Fea by Freestainworld(m): 4:31am On Jun 07, 2021
She was not given the house because she wasn't a Lagosian, but during the promise, they didn't know that she wasn't a Lagosian, and someone will tell me we are practising one Nigeria, cohabite together as a country, the whole tribe will refuse, allow some people who are tired in the marriage to go, they will say no, what kind of country is this?.
Re: 25 Years After, Chioma Ajunwa Yet To Receive House Promised For Olympic Gold Fea by NwaAmaikpe: 4:37am On Jun 07, 2021
shocked

Quite a perfect example of useless patriotism.
Of all organizations she chose to be loyal to, it was the Police Force and of all countries' citizenship to hold on to, she chose Nigeria, even when she had life set out for her on a platter.

Will posterity forgive her?
Now she expects NwaAmaikpe to sympathize with her for her chosen misfortune.

If this mumu had any sense, she'd have been an American citizen by now with enough money to gift better houses to our good-for-nothing tribalistic Osun miscreant who chose to forget that Lagos State is no man's land.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 25 Years After, Chioma Ajunwa Yet To Receive House Promised For Olympic Gold Fea by Romanoff(f): 4:58am On Jun 07, 2021
And you wonder why Nigerian footballers in England choose England over Nigeria.
Re: 25 Years After, Chioma Ajunwa Yet To Receive House Promised For Olympic Gold Fea by Karlovych: 5:01am On Jun 07, 2021
embarassed embarassed No wonder the likes of Francis Obikwelu, Christine Ohuruogu and Philips Idowu rejected representing the shithole like a plague. Nowadays when Anthony Joshua or Israel Adesanya are victorious in their fights, the useless shithole govt are the first to tweet and claim them like they wouldn't have been frustrated had they been trying to actualize their dreams in the country.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 25 Years After, Chioma Ajunwa Yet To Receive House Promised For Olympic Gold Fea by OfficialGaGa(m): 5:04am On Jun 07, 2021
grin
Re: 25 Years After, Chioma Ajunwa Yet To Receive House Promised For Olympic Gold Fea by b3llo(m): 5:30am On Jun 07, 2021
She made her mark in sands of time. History will be fair to her whenever her name will be mentioned.

Why would Lagisians deny her the house? Nepotism stinks in this we country.
Re: 25 Years After, Chioma Ajunwa Yet To Receive House Promised For Olympic Gold Fea by donbachi(m): 5:59am On Jun 07, 2021
E get wetin dem done ever implement
Re: 25 Years After, Chioma Ajunwa Yet To Receive House Promised For Olympic Gold Fea by blazepascal(m): 6:00am On Jun 07, 2021
Our country has always been humiliating us.this country is a failed country.
Re: 25 Years After, Chioma Ajunwa Yet To Receive House Promised For Olympic Gold Fea by paulolee(m): 7:43am On Jun 07, 2021
just imagine...even after 27 years o...and some would keep blaming sportsmen for choosing other countries ahead of us..
I remember the ex john foshonu telling a brief story about why he choosed england ahead of us saying dt he is still earning grants like pension even after years of retirement just because he wore the English jersey unlike here..
also a journalist once said he asked a German dt once ended 3rd in an Olympic 200 meters race why he seems very happy than the first dt was an African..
the man replied dt ist because their sport fa promised huge cash n scholarships to thier children if any Olympian wins a medal n he cnt wait to see the smiles on the face of his wife n 3 kids....dts wat real countries do..

2 Likes

Re: 25 Years After, Chioma Ajunwa Yet To Receive House Promised For Olympic Gold Fea by paulolee(m): 7:47am On Jun 07, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

I'd call this useless patriotism. Of all organizations she chose to be loyal to, it was the Police Force.
Of all country's citizenship to hold on to, she chose Nigeria, even when she had life set out for her on a platter.

Will posterity forgive her?
Now she expects NwaAmaikpe to sympathize with her for her chosen misfortune.

If this mumu had any sense, she'd have been an American citizen by now with enough money to gift houses to that good-for-nothing tribalistic Osun miscreant and his descendants.
just imagine wat u typing...was going well till u ended by insulting a nigerian hero n also used tribalistic words because that topic n comments didn't need those insults..
BT its d legendary nwamaikpe n nairalaners would just like n move on bcoz he makes no wrongs..

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After, Chioma Ajunwa Yet To Receive House Promised For Olympic Gold Fea by paulolee(m): 7:55am On Jun 07, 2021
Romanoff:
And you wonder why Nigerian footballers in England choose England over Nigeria.
sure....not only choosing england BT even smaller European countries too because I do see nigerian names n players in smaller European countries n dey end up ignoring Nigeria saying they are only nigerian by d names their parents gave them n not by blood..
even my guy azeez wey dey amenia n still dey grind once told me dt he is looking forward to playing for amenia national team bcoz the country sports sector is on a right path.
gone are those days dt sportsmen do rush to play for Nigeria, now its only those dt have strong link in d sport sector dt keeps coming back..
Re: 25 Years After, Chioma Ajunwa Yet To Receive House Promised For Olympic Gold Fea by tillaman(m): 9:03am On Jun 07, 2021
shocked

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After, Chioma Ajunwa Yet To Receive House Promised For Olympic Gold Fea by dododawa1: 1:33pm On Jun 07, 2021
Inside life or this life

(1) (Reply)

Funny Reactions To Manchester City Loss To Tottenham (1-0) In Premier League Ope / Can Ronaldo Overtake Christine Sinclair In The All Time International Goal / Microsoft Excel Football Prediction: 8 Sure Bankers For February 5-7

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.