Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,844 members, 7,810,255 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:50 AM

Chioma Ajunwa: I Built Three Rooms With Abiola’s Money - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Chioma Ajunwa: I Built Three Rooms With Abiola’s Money (57379 Views)

Chioma Ajunwa Decorated Deputy Commissioner Of Police / ‘I Promised Chioma Ajunwa Land, Not House’ - Olagunsoye Oyinlola / Photos Of The 3-Bedroom Apartment Chioma Ajunwa Got From Lagos Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chioma Ajunwa: I Built Three Rooms With Abiola’s Money by sweetsell: 12:31pm On Jun 18, 2020
Olympic gold medallist, Chioma Ajunwa, says she built a three-room apartment with a cash gift from late businessman and politician, Moshood Abiola, in 1991.

Speaking with our correspondent on her fond memories of the late philanthropist, police officer Ajunwa said the 24-karat gold the fallen Pillar of Sports in Africa also gave her after winning two gold medals at the 1991 African Games in Cairo, Egypt was stolen same year.

She hailed Abiola for his impact in sports and the encouragement given to sportsmen, many of who were from not well to do families.

“I don’t think there is anybody in Nigeria as far as sports is concerned that competed in the early 90s that wouldn’t have one thing or the other to say about Chief MKO Abiola. His memory still lingers in the mind of many.

“In 1991, I won two gold medals at the African Games, and when we came back, Chief Abiola did us proud. The first three rooms I built in my father’s house was from the money he gave to us. He gave me N370,000 and a 24-karat gold wristwatch, though somebody stole that wristwatch. The wristwatch was so fine and I kept it somewhere, with the case. I never wore it before it was stolen.

“I cannot forget him in a hurry; he was a man of peace and great understanding. He knew those of us in sports were from less-privileged homes and he took care of us,” Ajunwa told The PUNCH.

She also said in honouring him, an annual sporting competition should be organised.

“Chief Abiola deserved more than the renaming of the Abuja stadium. I was happy when I heard the president renamed the stadium after him because it was long overdue, I thought past administrations should have done that, kudos to the president for doing so.

“There should be a kind of competition that will always be running in his name annually, if that is done for him, it will be very good,” she added.

https://punchng.com/i-built-three-rooms-with-abiolas-money-ajunwa/

70 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Chioma Ajunwa: I Built Three Rooms With Abiola’s Money by Maxymilliano(m): 12:35pm On Jun 18, 2020
“I cannot forget him in a hurry; he was a man of peace and great understanding. He knew those of us in sports were from less-privileged homes and he took care of us,” Ajunwa told The PUNCH.

Abiola was not regarded and recognized as the “Pillar of Sports in Africa" for nothing ...

203 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Chioma Ajunwa: I Built Three Rooms With Abiola’s Money by Afolabimills(m): 12:45pm On Jun 18, 2020
Abiola is a great man a relief to many even after his death I wonder what buhari will be remembered of after his evil regime kiss d truth buhari is a bad luck

101 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Chioma Ajunwa: I Built Three Rooms With Abiola’s Money by SarkinYarki: 1:01pm On Jun 18, 2020
As if our sporting industry went away with Abiola

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chioma Ajunwa: I Built Three Rooms With Abiola’s Money by Afolabimills(m): 2:02pm On Jun 18, 2020
MASTERCHIEF0847:

He was also a coup financier and stole from ITT. Remember that too.
yes I agree but is he not far better than the crook in aso rock

80 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chioma Ajunwa: I Built Three Rooms With Abiola’s Money by BlackfireX: 2:38pm On Jun 18, 2020
He gave you a token of what he stole (lTT) from Nigeria.

He was a coup plotter financier

A religious bigot

He betrayed the great Awolowo, and there were rumors that he cursed Abiola .

30 Likes

Re: Chioma Ajunwa: I Built Three Rooms With Abiola’s Money by egalitarianism: 2:46pm On Jun 18, 2020
Everyone Knows Chief MKO Abiola was a philanthropist. Good one mama

71 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Chioma Ajunwa: I Built Three Rooms With Abiola’s Money by egalitarianism: 2:46pm On Jun 18, 2020
BlackfireX:
He gave you a token of what he stole (lTT) from Nigeria.

He was a coup plotter financier

A religious bigot

He betrayed the great Awolowo, and there were rumors that he cursed Abiola .
A f.ool is better than you

91 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Chioma Ajunwa: I Built Three Rooms With Abiola’s Money by BlackfireX: 2:49pm On Jun 18, 2020
egalitarianism:

A f.ool is better than you

Boko haram is more wise than you , oponu

15 Likes

Re: Chioma Ajunwa: I Built Three Rooms With Abiola’s Money by egalitarianism: 2:50pm On Jun 18, 2020
BlackfireX:

Boko haram is more wise than you , oponu
Awfa nigga, did I insulted you? Ori e buru lorun e

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chioma Ajunwa: I Built Three Rooms With Abiola’s Money by BlackfireX: 2:55pm On Jun 18, 2020
egalitarianism:

Awfa nigga, did I insulted you? Ori e buru lorun e

Oriki idile yin grin

13 Likes

Re: Chioma Ajunwa: I Built Three Rooms With Abiola’s Money by MASTERCHIEF0847(m): 3:06pm On Jun 18, 2020
Afolabimills:
yes I agree but is he not far better than the crook in aso rock
grin

1 Like

Re: Chioma Ajunwa: I Built Three Rooms With Abiola’s Money by JAMO84: 3:22pm On Jun 18, 2020
But your people refused to vote for him in 1993. They voted for their Fulani slave masters as usual.

Who on earth would vote for Bashir Tofa over MKO Abiola?

I AM DONE TALKING

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Chioma Ajunwa: I Built Three Rooms With Abiola’s Money by BlowYourMind: 3:39pm On Jun 18, 2020
Hear your enlighten ones

1 Like

Re: Chioma Ajunwa: I Built Three Rooms With Abiola’s Money by sageb: 4:06pm On Jun 18, 2020
MKO was a good philanthropist

7 Likes

Re: Chioma Ajunwa: I Built Three Rooms With Abiola’s Money by Newyear801: 4:24pm On Jun 18, 2020

1 Like

Re: Chioma Ajunwa: I Built Three Rooms With Abiola’s Money by Ojiofor: 4:54pm On Jun 18, 2020
Abiola was a big thief with a large heart no doubt.

5 Likes

Re: Chioma Ajunwa: I Built Three Rooms With Abiola’s Money by omooba969(m): 4:54pm On Jun 18, 2020
Please, what's the update on AJIMOBI's health - I received a WhatsApp message few minutes ago that he's dead.

I have checked News outlets but found nada.

1 Like

Re: Chioma Ajunwa: I Built Three Rooms With Abiola’s Money by MzMercie: 4:55pm On Jun 18, 2020
wink
Re: Chioma Ajunwa: I Built Three Rooms With Abiola’s Money by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jun 18, 2020
grin even devil know say abiola go thief pass Abacha....babangida avoided a calamity

1 Like

Re: Chioma Ajunwa: I Built Three Rooms With Abiola’s Money by Kendroid: 4:56pm On Jun 18, 2020
Re: Chioma Ajunwa: I Built Three Rooms With Abiola’s Money by enedoboy(f): 4:56pm On Jun 18, 2020
Hmmm
Re: Chioma Ajunwa: I Built Three Rooms With Abiola’s Money by Risingblue008(m): 4:56pm On Jun 18, 2020
And u r here with boldness saying it,,,dt u built 3room with sososo and so money,,,u must be stupid undecided

1 Like

Re: Chioma Ajunwa: I Built Three Rooms With Abiola’s Money by PericomaNwankwo: 4:56pm On Jun 18, 2020
Back then Cowbell was dubbed Abiola milk...do you know why??

But why are people faulting what she said?

2 Likes

Re: Chioma Ajunwa: I Built Three Rooms With Abiola’s Money by Hotzone(m): 4:57pm On Jun 18, 2020
Make buhari no hear this or else, magu will collect it from ur meager retirement benefits

On mini as my brothers dem dey, no cause for alarm...if u bam, u dey game!!!!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chioma Ajunwa: I Built Three Rooms With Abiola’s Money by Stewart883(m): 4:58pm On Jun 18, 2020
I heard he made his money from ITT Nigeria Limited

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Will Love To Marry Nigerian - Rhoda Jepkhorir Who Won Lagos Marathon 2017 / Benzema Sends Flowers To Girlfriend, 1st & 2nd Wives On Valentine's Day (Photos) / England Vs France: FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 (1 - 2) On 10th Dec 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.