Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,606 members, 7,823,638 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:46 PM

Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield (6085 Views)

Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties / Power Up Your Agriculture Business And Yield More Profits / Early Fruiting Dwarf Cashew Varieties (CCP76) Seedling For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by Attit: 9:40am On Jun 08, 2021
Tomato brown rugose fruit virus
In 2015, this deadly virus was detected, and it spreads fast in Israel and Jordan.

The abbreviation ToBRFV is used for it.

Transmistion

Mechanically - Spread between plants on contaminated tools, clothes or hands.

Trade - Seeds you buy are deliberately or unintentionally coated with it. Buy seeds from verified sellers. That I talked about importation of seeds doesnt mean you buy from quacks. Get license to import. Dont smuggle in seeds. I always get this. When people ask me for the prices, they run away. And I do not care. It is why I do not sell seeds. Cos I know majority are looking for quality and cheap. If smuggling will make it cheap they will go for it. But everyone who knows me know I dont do such rubbish.

Propagation - Seeds treatment can be infected. Or via cross pollination either by hand or by bees for pollination.

Management
No treatment for now. No prevention too. Research is going on, and I am involved in it too.

Virus is the new bioweapon. This is going to spread, and new chemicals will be send to you.

My Precaution
I am an advocate of building strong immume system. This is the clue. This is a principle which works. HIV (it's a virus too) is managed based on this concept.

The way antibiotics kill immunity is the way chemicals do. These chemicals are like antibiotics too...and even dangerous. You keep killing immunity using them wrongly. I used to use chemicals wrongly too. Of course, not saying you shouldn't use it at all. But depending on what you do, you use it so you dont kill the immunity of the plant. I cannot teach you. I can only prescribe based on your case the way you visit doctors. Doctors cannot teach you.

Goodluck to farmers.

1 Share

Re: Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by Attit: 10:24am On Oct 02, 2021
It has been long I updated this, and honestly, I have forgotten about it until the friend who opened it contacted me yesterday again to kindly update. To those who habe been looking forward to my posts, here I am again. But I will not be around forever.

The Tomato game is changing, and I have seen tremendous changes. I am happy many have realised the importance of mulch. You can see the difference yourselves. Whether you like me or hate me, I told you the truth a long time ago. And what I have realised is that black men only change when they have been defeated multiple times. Those who were shouotng mulch is expensive in those days, where are they? Those telling you to irrigate with hose, where are they? Lol. Now, take a proper analysis of those who changed and those who didnt, what can you say? How can you call yourself a farmer and you are on the same spot struggling? For me, my days of going to farm is over. I think I have made that clear to many. That's it. And I tell people, what you learned from my post, I am way 15 to 20 steps ahead. What makes me release anything to you free of charge without collecting anything is a big test. I told many, I dont run after people for money. We may still be throwing stones of words, but the day you close the door, you have shut yourself out. And if you think you are smart to outsmart me, hahahha. You will soon learn. Many have done it, and the result, we know.

Anyway, here we are again with tomatoes. More diseases are coming out. Seeds we are using today will mostly be wiped of, and new sets will come up which are going to be more expensive. Let me tell you a prophesy which will come to pass in 2 to 3 years, the vegetable game will change dramatically. I know what I am saying. Sellers and manufacturers will keep playing famers around like chess.

Let me give you all max of 5 years, most soil diseases will be a thing of the past for disease tolerance. As in, they will be there, but you will not really get soil diseases tolerance varieties again. Why? The game is changing. I work with seed manufacturers and I know the trend.

Make haste while the sun shines and get profit now cos when it starts, big boys will be the early adopters.

I wish you all happy farming. Enjoy the tomato fruitful harvest while it lasts. I am happy many people are getting it more. However, do not sleep. Some people got it right some 10 to 15 years ago with Riogranade and Roma. And boom! They became rubbish. Where did B, V, and F wilts come from? Who can tell me? And now the mass destruction and money spinning bio weapon or tool is virus. Oh yeah! More are coming out..it is not a false prophesy. Get ready!

By the way, some tomato seeds manufacturers have created varieties which have resistance to the disease I mentioned. They do not have time for Africa cos we do not buy large volume of seeds. However, when they have conquered Europe, Asia, and middle east, I'm sure that is when Africa will start getting hit.

Get ready.

I'm confident you can make 80 to 100 crates of tomato on a plot of land. However, take the pain to make minimum if 15 plots. Set up rightly. Move your products out at the right them, and hit N13.5million sales.
Re: Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by Attit: 11:35am On Oct 21, 2021
So far, we have been able to achieve changes in vegetable production practice. Drip has been well accepted. Oh! Thank God cans, kegs and hose carriers have seen it clearly they are not wise. Also, thank God the attackers who said mulch is too expensivethive seen the benefits. I have even heard they have started promoting quality mulch. I pulled such quality into Nigeria in 2016 and those I spoke to all shouted they cannot use it. I smiled and left. Most of them rush to my posts everytime. I dont mind. Let them continue learning. And the few who felt they are smart will meet it there. I always smile. Even those selling ebooks are copying my concepts. Such have been reported to me, but I dont even bother myself.

I will not tell you what does not work. Why? We need more producers of food. Do it right. Spend well. You will reap the benefits.

Now, it is about seeds and diseases. And this is what this thread is about.

There are good seeds available, no doubt, but I will open your eyes.

Disease
Diseases in your soil are the main reasons farmers fail. There are many soil diseases, but there are tough ones there is presently no chemicals can kill. You either fight it naturally or use disease resistant seeds.

On a scale of 100, disease resistance can be 10. Lol. And producers will just say it can resist the disease. Hahaha. You must know what to choose. I have written in the past how to choose, and I will not repeat it again here.

The other kind - environmental, where diseases penetrate into the plants through wind. These are diseases you cant easily tackle esp during rainy season. But chemicals can do wonders if you know the right ingredients to use.

The normal yield you should have on a plot is 266 crates per plot, but I know farmers have just upgraded to 50 to 110 crates from 0 per plot. Still very low. At 50 crates per plot, its 18.8tons per ha. Very low. While at 110 crates, its 41.3 tons per ha. Still very low. But I have heard of 66 tons per ha which I cannot confirm.

Examples 1
For example: cobra. They always say they give 100,000 tons per ha. Lol. Recommended population is 25,000 to 30,000 plants per ha. At 30,000 plants, you have around 3.33kg fruits per plant. And this is exactly what most famers get. Let's reason together more: 3.33kg gives around 42 fruits per plant which is exactly what good local farmers get. Of course, they can claim to get 70 or more, but out of 30,000 plants do you expect all will survive? Do you expect to get all at 80gram fruits or more. So, it is very reasonable to use this. And even some get lower. Now, the question is that can you manage 30,000 easily on 1 ha in rainy season? grin You are a farmer, do the calculation.

Example 2
Padma/Platimum: I have heard so much about them. They are exactly like cobra above in terms of yield, and I think the highest someone posted was 59tons per ha. Not so sure.

The drip most farmers use are 30cm emitters. And most are using single row per bed which I also recommend to achieve free air flow. With this, the highest population any farmer can get is 33,333. I can manage it if you put me on the farm. I do not know about you, but I know many cannot. Therefore the recommended population you can get to be successful during rainy season is around 16,600 - 25,000. Even 25,000 is at the very upper limit. Let me say 20,000 if you go with a reasonable inter row spacing.

The truth is that you will achieve 40 tons if you are a good farmer if you use any of the seeds above. If you are extremely good, you can get more than 40 - 60 tons, or a little above.

But the truth is that if you get 50 tons per acre with any of the seeds above which is around 133 crates per plot, you are a master taking into consideration the kind of condition we produce vegetables in this country.

Many are satisfied with the above, which is ok. But the truth is that both are made for mechanised farming. Where you can load even 40,000 plants per ha. I encourage mechanised farming, but these kinds are not in your best interest if you want to earn more and work less without machines.

Count me out of 30,000 plants per ha if I have to stake. I don't want to die young. To side dress 30,000 plants per ha. Do you think it is easy? To prune them if necessary? To stake them? Come on. And I want to hit 100 to 120 tons per ha.

Prices
Cobra - N2500 for 5g, N24000 for 50g
Padma/Platinum - Not so sure but I think around N8k to N12k for 10 grams

More robust varieties
They are expensive per seed count, but you use lesser seeds, lesser fertilizer, lesser energy. The standard for me which is available in Nigeria is from Hazera. 15,000 plants per ha. And you will get 5.3kg - 8kg per plant. Please take note that I am not talking about pilot of 100 plants you can give excellent care and achieve 10kg and above.

Another set of varieties in this category are from RZ (Jarrah and Gammar), one from Syngenta, and which other one? I think none I am aware of. The only difference is their diseases resistance. You may have to check their disease resistance, but I prefer the one from Hazera.

The quality of these seeds is high. They sell per count.

1,000 seeds of Hazera - above N30,000 (not sure now)
1,000 seeds of RZ - N8,000 - N12,000

But all of them cannot resist one bad and terrible disease. Boom! They almost fail during rainy season where the infection is dominant. If you do not know about soil treatment, please do not near most of them except the one from Hazera. I am telling you the truth. If you use them and your soil is infected, forget it. But I assure you that the ones I listed as 30,000 plants per ha all can handle this condition to a certain level.

With the knowledge above, 6 years ago, I dived into looking abroad for what suits me. And I have used many good qualities.

Anyway, put this post into consideration before you farm. Do not get me wrong, the 30,000 population per ha seeds are still ok, but not for me as a person.

Start getting ready for the next dry-wet season tomato money harvest.

Goodluck to tomato farmers out there.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by Attit: 12:51am On Oct 23, 2021
Roma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f93kvkFE2U
Roma and its upgrades are made to be cultivated like the above. Actually, I made serious research on Open Pollinated Varieties cos I was tired of the Roma hybrids. Padma, Cobra and the rest are exactly in this category in my opinion. It's just that these new ones are so improved. But they arent going to make OPV again. Do not get me wrong, these varieties are not bad. Cobra is the standard producers want to beat.

30,000 crops on an acre is a lot of work. While they are OK, but trust me, I always look for very easy way to get my job job. And managing 30 000 crops is not one.

Why would you spend 30 days on nursery, 75 to 80 days before your first harvest. That's 105 to 115 days. And you habe for just 21 to 30 days and that's it. Yield will not be so much.

The truth is that tomatoes are meant to be harvested for long. The first sets of tomatoes can be harvested for more than 10 months. So, you can imagine. And why would you stake when you arr harvesting for just 21 to 30 days. It doesn't just make sense to me. But producers must sell..

30 000 plants take twice fertilizer of what 15,000 take. Twice water for irrigation, twice fuel, twice energy for transplanting, twice time for transplanting, twice time and energy for fertilizer application, twice energy for staking, Twice everything.

Yet, they have short term harvest. Wow! Meanwhile there are ones which are 30 days nursery, 65 to 70 days before harvesting, and then you can harvest on open field for up to 5 months. What will make it last long is infection.

I'm going to be honest with you. 35C temp and having 30 000 crops on ha cannot get you 100,000 kg yield. Of course ifs logical the way the manufactuer explained it, but ig is not possible. I just need to be honest with you. 50 tons is great.

Make research along this line. It is worth it.

2 Likes

Re: Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by ndbros4justice: 7:14am On Oct 23, 2021
All I had to do was read the epistles to know this was Pistotita.
Mehnnnn!
I love everything about you Sir. I must I am addicted to your write up. I buy your passion for healthy, easy and effective farming and wish to replicate your ideas. Quality farming is the concept and I love it.
I am a baby farmer or better still baby gardner let me put it at that.
I just started a crop farm of about 2plots in Umuahia, set irrigation all by myself (it is my first time doing it) I just like doing things myself because just as you have always preached workers who don't buy your vision will frustrate you and I hate people taking advantage of me besides I don't know how to impose myself on people so I do my things myself. I am still testing waters and the farm is still at setup stage.
I see myself getting a mulch later and setting up greenhouse before the end of next year. I see myself importing an electric tractor either Solatrak or Monarch or the one being said to be produced in Turkey. I don't know how long but I'll get there.
I have learnt from you that if farming must be business then the business must be well done. I believe one should invest in their business more so that their businesses can pay them not them toiling from year to year on one spot doing same thing and expecting massive output..... that's madness at it's peak even peak milk no reach that peak� grin
It is nice to read from you again Sir. I am proud of you Sir. I don't care what people say or think I know the quality of information you're dropping here. Sir you are a legend. Those who complain about your style should dish out same information let's see after spending time and money on research and pilot programs...no be beans abeg. These articles are facts! This knowledge is a rare privilege.
I'll continue to follow your write ups as long as I can find them even if you change 200 monikers grin grin
Your epistles na my second Bible. I am impressed having read threads: 40 cucumbers per plant...to the end, finding meaning to life....to the end, Twenty thousand and twenty one to the end, still hungry for more....lol.
I don turn disciple grin grin grin
God over bless you for me. Thanks a lot Sir. Can't thank you enough.

2 Likes

Re: Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by Attit: 11:21am On Oct 23, 2021
ndbros4justice:
Mehnnnn!
I love everything about you Sir. I must I am addicted to your write up. I buy your passion for healthy, easy and effective farming and wish to replicate your ideas. Quality farming is the concept and I love it.
I just started a crop farm of about 2plots in Umuahia, set irrigation all by myself (it is my first time doing it) I just like doing things myself because just as you have always preached workers who don't buy your vision will frustrate you and I hate people taking advantage of me besides I don't know how to impose myself on people so I do my things myself. I am still testing waters and the farm is still at setup stage.
I see myself getting a mulch later and setting up greenhouse before the end of next year. I see myself importing an electric tractor either Solatrak or Monarch or the one being said to be produced in Turkey. I don't know how long but I'll get there.
I have learnt from you that if farming must be business then the business must be well done. I believe one should invest in their business more so that their businesses can pay them not them toiling from year to year on one spot doing same thing and expecting massive output..... that's madness at it's peak even peak milk no reach that peak� grin
It is nice to read from you again Sir. I am proud of you Sir. I don't care what people say or think I know the quality of information you're dropping here. Sir you are a legend. Those who complain about your style should dish out same information let's see after spending time and money on research and pilot programs...no be beans abeg. These articles are facts! This knowledge is a rare privilege.
I'll continue to follow your write ups as long as I can find them even if you change 200 monikers grin grin
Your epistles na my second Bible. I am impressed having read threads: 40 cucumbers per plant...to the end, finding meaning to life....to the end, Twenty thousand and twenty one to the end, still hungry for more....lol.

Actually, I do not hide.

I have people I listen to. So, they usually talk to me. Also, there is something about a corrupt and poor nation. Poor people destroy themselves.

I have realised that the same platforms evil dorminate is the same platform righteousness should. Let me share briefly with you. I met a big politician who talked to me. I was shocked, but she told me that she reads articles here also. In short, I set up a pilot of my recent research and I shared it with her. She was impressed. She then sat me down and showed me why good people must go into PDP and APC and also set up other political platforms. And that no matter how good a platform is, you cannot stop bad people from going in. So, why should good people not go in to tackle bad people in bad parties? She said, tackle them more on any platform. Guy, you know me instantly. I opened the email for this account yesterday and I saw mails. I was even overwhelmed. All of them know it's me. I dont hide. However, the kind of harassment from consultants and your mods here. Hmmm. And from extreme poor farmers....anyway, they will carry their loads of jealousy themselves. I choose to listen to words of wisdom. I pray we get a replacement soon.

See, you cannot hide talent and gift. You can only kill it yourself.

Some think they are "beefing" me, not knowing they are killing themselves. Sir, let's leave story. In 5 years, all these techniques people are just adopting will be obsolete again. When cobra came on board, people refused to port. It was Jaguar then. When Roma came on board, they refused to port too. Thank God people like you are saying the truth. Imagine how they said mulch is waste of money. Lol. Some people needs to be locked up in Psychiatric homes to help them remove selfishness (the consultants), and the followers need to be helped to overcome stupidity. Everything cheap is what they think is good for them.

There is this guy who inread some of his posts, he has one on cucumber and tomato. The guy pulled some things out, and I just smiled. I do not know why you want to make N2million sales and to buy N300k drip is a problem. I mean, I do not understand it. And you will use it again since it is not like you use it once. I dont know why anyone will choose to use a drip which breaks in 3 months to another which lasts 5 years. I dont get it. I bought a mulch and I gave it our 5 years later after using it all through the 5 years. The person I gave it to is still usng it. While someone told me he loaded a container of mulch for himself and the mulch will collapse in 3 to 6 months. After assisting the person, he still behaved over smart. I just smiled. Some people are just funny. And they think they are smart.

This is the era of bio-tech. I have seen so many varieties in Nigerian the rate at which diseases will flood our soil. And they will be mostly viral. Everything we do now will change. A total (100%) change is about to happen.

If you are into vegetable, I am going to suggest you do not go the tractor route. It is going to be obsolete in the next 20 to 30 years. I do not even think about it again. Though, it is still very relevant now, but this is an era of smart farming. Recent researches arent tractor related for vegetables.

Stay with your two plots and maximize it to learn. My present design is outdoor hydroponics. Actually, I had another plan to move into classroom, but I have suspended it to do 10 acres hydroponics open field tomato. Let me see how it goes. But funny, I have no share in it as I am not sponsoring it myself. It is for raising fund for an international humanitarianism organisation.

Do your 2 plots very well. You can improvise mulch if you are smart without breaking your neck financially. Just go for very good seeds. Do not say they are expensive as long as you know they are good. Just go for them. Yes, you should not rely on workers again except you are in the north.

By the way, I saw your thread on learning piano. Could you kindly recommend a piano good for a learner? I stopped playing around 15 years old, but I want to get back to it. I hope old man like me can still learn it well.

2 Likes

Re: Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by ndbros4justice: 12:51pm On Oct 23, 2021
Boss the joy of seeing your reply overwhelmes me grin grin
Attit:

Some think they are "beefing" me, not knowing they are killing themselves. Sir, let's leave story. In 5 years, all these techniques people are just adopting will be obsolete again. When cobra came on board, people refused to port. It was Jaguar then. When Roma came on board, they refused to port too. Thank God people like you are saying the truth. Imagine how they said mulch is waste of money. Lol. Some people needs to be locked up in Psychiatric homes to help them remove selfishness (the consultants), and the followers need to be helped to overcome stupidity. Everything cheap is what they think is good for them.

Thank you very much for your persistence in the good work.

Attit:

This is the era of bio-tech. I have seen so many varieties in Nigerian the rate at which diseases will flood our soil. And they will be mostly viral. Everything we do now will change. A total (100%) change is about to happen.

If you are into vegetable, I am going to suggest you do not go the tractor route. It is going to be obsolete in the next 20 to 30 years. I do not even think about it again. Though, it is still very relevant now, but this is an era of smart farming. Recent researches arent tractor related for vegetables.

Stay with your two plots and maximize it to learn. My present design is outdoor hydroponics. Actually, I had another plan to move into classroom, but I have suspended it to do 10 acres hydroponics open field tomato. Let me see how it goes. But funny, I have no share in it as I am not sponsoring it myself. It is for raising fund for an international humanitarianism organisation.

Do your 2 plots very well. You can improvise mulch if you are smart without breaking your neck financially. Just go for very good seeds. Do not say they are expensive as long as you know they are good. Just go for them. Yes, you should not rely on workers again except you are in the north.

Wow! You're right sir. With the covid-19 trend there's more to come from various angles for biotech companies to sell vaccines and drugs.
I am actually going into vegetable farming. I want to start with the seeds I have, use it to study the plants then I'll go for better seeds later. I don't have much funds those now but I'll progress as I go. I don't believe in jumping the learning process just like in piano. No matter how good the tool a dummy is a dummy.
Hydroponics is something I appreciate but I believe I will grow into it. Actually when stumbled upon hydroponics I stopped seeing soil as an entity to a plant life but a growth medium which can be sterile yet loaded with the nutrients plants need to survive. I started seeing people who talk about the soil funa and whatever as obsolete. I might be wrong but it changed my thought pattern.
I personally like paying attention to details. I started with chili peppers in sacks as someone with no previous experience in vegetables and with much trouble I scaled through spotting my mistakes and errors. I tried cucumbers 3 times and was unsuccessful. I am going the 4th and as many more till I get it. I planted carrots by the side it was fun to harvest though not too impressive. My minute experience and study taught me much about plant macro and micronutrients. I have been ravaging the internet for info which I believe makes me bolder now.
Food security is a big issue in the East and I want to take advantage of it. The farm efficiency you teach applies so much to the East with lesser land mass, unwilling farm workers yet no serious efforts are made in farming but consumption is high. Our farmer's in my local know nothing more than maize and cassava. The maize are even miserable compared to what I see online.
From what I learnt from you about plant enzymes and hormones I did a little research as I had never heard of such before now I know better but I want to keep it simple for now.
Very soon cucumber will disappear as watermelon has taken the lead. Carrots are also a rare commodity.
I did a little check up on the seeds you spoke about I am programming myself for tomatoes next year rainy season grin grin
Forget about people. If had met your kind of person when I was younger I would have been a Billonaire by now. Why? I did everything possible to learn how to make money legit for myself yet I kept meeting consultants selling me ebooks and all. It's been a long walk truly. Agriculture caught my attention last year and I have been working on it trying poultry now crop. I have lost money and I have learnt a lot too. I know I will get there.
These informations I have read from you has given me a definite direction not just farming for farming sake. Now I know why Nigerian farmers are poor "Ignorance". We don't research.
I might be the only person in Umuahia that has a drip tape farm because even the seed vendor didn't understand me when I was seeking to order drip kit. Battery powered knapsack is high-end tech you can't find it. What of walking tractor? That one is SpaceX project. Bro we are in stone age here yet we have Umudike research institute and a University of agriculture in the same Umuahia.
These agricultural institutes are suppose to be an enlightenment point for us but no we are in deep agricultural darkness. The best we get from them are some hybrid seedlings which some people buy and protect them as if that's the only replica one earth. grin grin grin
When poultry feed scarcity hit us last year was when I knew Umudike was just a waste to us. They are not solving anything just collecting salaries and project funds for researches that never enter the market. It is horrible.
No vex Sir. I am epistolic like you so you know where the love is coming from hehehe. grin grin
I am proud of you Sir.

Attit:

By the way, I saw your thread on learning piano. Could you kindly recommend a piano good for a learner? I stopped playing around 15 years old, but I want to get back to it. I hope old man like me can still learn it well.

As for pianos it depends on your funds and how far you want to go with it. Well Yamaha has good products I love their piano tone. Dgx series has weighted (heavy) keys and other series are there to chose from it is broad. Go for a PSR series. You'll get something good too
Re: Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by Attit: 2:35pm On Oct 23, 2021
ndbros4justice:
Boss the joy of seeing your reply overwhelmes me grin grin

Thank you very much for your persistence in the good work.

Wow! You're right sir. With the covid-19 trend there's more to come from various angles for biotech companies to sell vaccines and drugs.

America's biggest owner of farmland is now Bill Gates
https://www.forbes.com/sites/arielshapiro/2021/01/14/americas-biggest-owner-of-farmland-is-now-bill-gates-bezos-turner/amp/

His largest holdings are in Louisiana (69,071 acres), Arkansas (47,927 acres) and Nebraska (20,588 acres). Additionally, he has a stake in 25,750 acres of transitional land on the west side of Phoenix, Arizona, which is being developed as a new suburb.

In 2008, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation announced $306 million in grants to promote high-yield, sustainable agriculture among smallholder farmers in sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia. The foundation has further invested in the development and proliferation of “super crops” resistant to climate change and higher-yield dairy cows. Last year, the organization announced Gates Ag One, a nonprofit to advance those efforts.

The Land Report gives the top spot to Liberty Media Chair John Malone, who owns 2.2 million acres of ranches and forests. CNN founder Ted Turner ranked number three with 2 million acres of ranch land across eight states. Even Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos is investing in land on a large scale, landing the 25th spot with his ownership of 420,000 acres, mainly in west Texas.

From above:
John Malone - 2.2 million acres
Ted Turner - 2 million acres
Jeff Bezos - 420,000 acres

What are the figures telling you?

Organic farming will be finally crushed. Grow organic for yourself alone.

I will discuss microbes briefly. This is something people cannot get. It still works, but I see it crushed too. For now, while soil farming is still on, it is the thing. But many will fall sick due to careless usage.

I am actually going into vegetable farming. I want to start with the seeds I have, use it to study the plants then I'll go for better seeds later. I don't have much funds those now but I'll progress as I go. I don't believe in jumping the learning process just like in piano. No matter how good the tool a dummy is a dummy.
It is good. Please, do everything possible to learn, and avoid taking the job of a manager.

Hydroponics is something I appreciate but I believe I will grow into it. Actually when stumbled upon hydroponics I stopped seeing soil as an entity to a plant life but a growth medium which can be sterile yet loaded with the nutrients plants need to survive. I started seeing people who talk about the soil funa and whatever as obsolete. I might be wrong but it changed my thought pattern.
The future is hydroponics. Diseases coming out are ways to frustrate farmers. Those people who are still stubborn to accept Covid-19 vaccineswill bend at last. But there is now a twist which I predicted some months ago that covid 19 will be like malaria. And recently a drug has been released for treating it.

They will launch out their own soil media very soon made from plastic. Coir and other organic media will be crushed. Almost everything will be plastic.

I personally like paying attention to details. I started with chili peppers in sacks as someone with no previous experience in vegetables and with much trouble I scaled through spotting my mistakes and errors. I tried cucumbers 3 times and was unsuccessful. I am going the 4th and as many more till I get it. I planted carrots by the side it was fun to harvest though not too impressive. My minute experience and study taught me much about plant macro and micronutrients. I have been ravaging the internet for info which I believe makes me bolder now.
Food security is a big issue in the East and I want to take advantage of it. The farm efficiency you teach applies so much to the East with lesser land mass, unwilling farm workers yet no serious efforts are made in farming but consumption is high. Our farmer's in my local know nothing more than maize and cassava. The maize are even miserable compared to what I see online.
From what I learnt from you about plant enzymes and hormones I did a little research as I had never heard of such before now I know better but I want to keep it simple for now.
Very soon cucumber will disappear as watermelon has taken the lead. Carrots are also a rare commodity.
I did a little check up on the seeds you spoke about I am programming myself for tomatoes next year rainy season grin grin
Focus on a crop. I suggest tomato or any kind of pepper since you want to go solo. You may not want to go into ball pepper now cos it's a big tricky. Cucumber is a bit hard except you buy net for stalking. You will struggle with prunning, but you can still scale through. If you dont have mulch and net with drip, dont do cucumber. It will drain you. Nigerians rush in to new things. They are rushing into tomatoes now cos they think they are getting it right. Trust me, they will still rush out.

It takes a new disease to crush all of them. Just like that. And they will be crushed.

But instead of them to listen to someone who has seen the future, they are busy investing heavily on what is going to crush soon.

Forget about people. If had met your kind of person when I was younger I would have been a Billonaire by now. Why? I did everything possible to learn how to make money legit for myself yet I kept meeting consultants selling me ebooks and all. It's been a long walk truly. Agriculture caught my attention last year and I have been working on it trying poultry now crop. I have lost money and I have learnt a lot too. I know I will get there.
These informations I have read from you has given me a definite direction not just farming for farming sake. Now I know why Nigerian farmers are poor "Ignorance". We don't research.
I might be the only person in Umuahia that has a drip tape farm because even the seed vendor didn't understand me when I was seeking to order drip kit. Battery powered knapsack is high-end tech you can't find it. What of walking tractor? That one is SpaceX project. Bro we are in stone age here yet we have Umudike research institute and a University of agriculture in the same Umuahia.
These agricultural institutes are suppose to be an enlightenment point for us but no we are in deep agricultural darkness. The best we get from them are some hybrid seedlings which some people buy and protect them as if that's the only replica one earth. grin grin grin
When poultry feed scarcity hit us last year was when I knew Umudike was just a waste to us. They are not solving anything just collecting salaries and project funds for researches that never enter the market. It is horrible.
No vex Sir. I am epistolic like you so you know where the love is coming from hehehe. grin grin
I am proud of you Sir.
You may not have accepted my words if you had met me earlier. People find it hard to accept. New things are expensive. Very few people, less than 0.1% accept new things cos they are expensive. Most people accept it when many have gone into it. Probably after the govt has invested and they see.

Do not worry about your losses as long as you can cover them. I have lost millions too. 3 years ago, I started putting my time in the search for local partners. I decided to work with people who had contacted me, but thank God, at least, I have some loyal people now. I am sure some are happy with this post, while those I dropped or parted ways with might be angry. And again those who felt they outsmarted me might be smiling. Lol. The future will tell. You just keep doing your thing and be focused. The future will tell.

The average Nigerian doesnt want to use his/her brain. They want to grab everything from one who has done it. Research is an initial loss. They want to do it and get it right with huge profit the first time. Yet, when you tell them this is what they should, they argue and want to force you to improvise. Lol. Yet, they want the best. It is why I choose carefully who I work with. I test people before working with them.

Umudike is not ready. Lol. Such is life. I wonder how those people in the research institutes manage to get jobs there cos I dont just understand. Anyway, it is well.

People are the reason Agric is hard in the south. And if you can take the pain to learn it by yourself, and do it without workers, but only use casual workers, you are good to go.

Get rid of weeding, side dressing or you do it just once or twice...and use fertigation for the rest, get staking done before sowing seeds like I always say (most people dont listen, they will always force it and will always argue they can meet up after sowing seeds), battery powered spray (please avoid using high pressure spray powered by gasoline...I dont know the kind of confidence in people to carry gasoline at their back).

As for pianos it depends on your funds and how far you want to go with it. Well Yamaha has good products I love their piano tone. Dgx series has weighted (heavy) keys and other series are there to chose from it is broad. Go for a PSR series. You'll get something good too
I will ask you more questions about this later. Thanks. I actually used to play bass guitar, but I gat no time again. I have more free time these days since I have fully stopped going to farm. So, I just thought about it recently, why not? I gat to start playing piano again. Thanks once again.

Suggestion
If during rainy season tomato is expensive in your city, go for it. No matter where you are in Nigeria, you will sell for at least N14,000 for a medium size hausa basket during this high priced period. If you learn it well, you will make at least 70 baskets per plot. On your two plots, you can make 140 baskets if you do it excellently. And only you without any help from outside is able to. Except when you want to clear land and install stakes. Then, during harvest you need help. You can easily make N1.9million sales if there is no commission for the sales agents. The wahala starts if you do not go about it well, or if there is a disease in the soil or in the wind and you do not know how to tackle it.
Re: Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by ndbros4justice: 7:10pm On Oct 24, 2021
Thanks a lot Sir. I will be follow your instructions.
Tomatoes will be worked on. Let me learn the much I can for now. I will upgrade equipment wise and all gradually. Haven't got a mulch yet or staking net. I'll work on it.

Nice to know you're a Bass player. Bass guitar is my major instrument. That's lovely cheesy

Thanks a lot for the info sir. I will follow continuously and research as much as I can
Re: Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by zigzagluv: 2:47am On Oct 26, 2021
hey Attit , This is the first time opening the agriculture tend on Nairaland and im glad i did, We are planing a Massive project in Nigeria very soon by ending of 2022, We are planing to open the biggest tomatoes processing plant in Nigeria to process about 7 million MT annually,this will depend on our sale of cotton bale to raise the capital because we are not depending on any government or anything.

You will ask yourself , how will they planing to achieve 7 million mt annually is not even possible ,where will they get the tomatoes ..
Well let me give you a peak of it , We will own our farm of 250,000 hectare or 200,000 acre depends where we are able to get lease. We own our nursing facility, the nursing green house facility , from there to the land ,after harvest to the processing plant. For quality assurance purpose .

You can view this website for https://www.masterplant.cl/ similar plan...

Why im writing you , i see you have good knowledge about the project , When we are ready middle of next year , i will like to invite you on board and see how we could do this...We want do the wheat , rice and tomatoes plant,....

I will glad to get a reply from you

Attit:
Roma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f93kvkFE2U
Roma and its upgrades are made to be cultivated like the above. Actually, I made serious research on Open Pollinated Varieties cos I was tired of the Roma hybrids. Padma, Cobra and the rest are exactly in this category in my opinion. It's just that these new ones are so improved. But they arent going to make OPV again. Do not get me wrong, these varieties are not bad. Cobra is the standard producers want to beat.

30,000 crops on an acre is a lot of work. While they are OK, but trust me, I always look for very easy way to get my job job. And managing 30 000 crops is not one.

Why would you spend 30 days on nursery, 75 to 80 days before your first harvest. That's 105 to 115 days. And you habe for just 21 to 30 days and that's it. Yield will not be so much.

The truth is that tomatoes are meant to be harvested for long. The first sets of tomatoes can be harvested for more than 10 months. So, you can imagine. And why would you stake when you arr harvesting for just 21 to 30 days. It doesn't just make sense to me. But producers must sell..

30 000 plants take twice fertilizer of what 15,000 take. Twice water for irrigation, twice fuel, twice energy for transplanting, twice time for transplanting, twice time and energy for fertilizer application, twice energy for staking, Twice everything.

Yet, they have short term harvest. Wow! Meanwhile there are ones which are 30 days nursery, 65 to 70 days before harvesting, and then you can harvest on open field for up to 5 months. What will make it last long is infection.

I'm going to be honest with you. 35C temp and having 30 000 crops on ha cannot get you 100,000 kg yield. Of course ifs logical the way the manufactuer explained it, but ig is not possible. I just need to be honest with you. 50 tons is great.

Make research along this line. It is worth it.

Re: Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by Attit: 6:03am On Oct 26, 2021
zigzagluv:
hey Attit , This is the first time opening the agriculture tend on Nairaland and im glad i did, We are planing a Massive project in Nigeria very soon by ending of 2022, We are planing to open the biggest tomatoes processing plant in Nigeria to process about 7 million MT annually,this will depend on our sale of cotton bale to raise the capital because we are not depending on any government or anything.
About 19 to 20 tons daily production. Quite big. It is massive like you said.

Sale of cotton bale to raise capital? Ok.

You will ask yourself , how will they planing to achieve 7 million mt annually is not even possible ,where will they get the tomatoes ..
Well let me give you a peak of it , We will own our farm of 250,000 hectare or 200,000 acre depends where we are able to get lease. We own our nursing facility, the nursing green house facility , from there to the land ,after harvest to the processing plant. For quality assurance purpose .
Some figures arent adding up here. 250,000 hectares is 90% of the land area of Lagos. That is "over huge". Anyway, you will have to go round states to get this. Maybe possible, I do not know your strategy to achieve this. But it is not adding up.

For 7 million MT annually, if you have an efficient farm, you need 2304 - 4608 hectares (5760 - 11,520 acres). And you must get 20 - 40 tons yield per acre.

Most seeds are 40 tons potential yield as claimed by producers, but you can hardly get it. Though, it is very possible if you do it right. Presently, Nigerian best farmers get about max of 24 tons like I have written earlier. Most still get around 5 to 10 in SS and SW, while 2 tons per acre is common in the north because they dont know how to do it.

You can view this website for https://www.masterplant.cl/ similar plan...
It is good, but you can still get something a cheaper option which will last you longer. Just get tropical design and not temperate kf you dont want to run into trouble.

Why im writing you , i see you have good knowledge about the project , When we are ready middle of next year , i will like to invite you on board and see how we could do this...We want do the wheat , rice and tomatoes plant,....

I will glad to get a reply from you

Do pilot. At least 1 year pilot. You may want to move start up to 2023. Or do a pilot now, and start 2022 ending. Cover both dry and wet season. You have a lot to learn.

If you intend setting up what you claim above, I think you should have no stress financiallly in setting up 10 to 20 acres pilot. That's 0.0017 land area of your total production from my estimation. And this is not cheap. Even it is just 1 ha, start the pilot asap.

If you ask me, I know you do not know what it entails, and it is why your figures and expectations are high. Of course, you can achieve the expectation, but you wont with your method.

You are talking about a multi billion naira project. Dangote spent 3 billion only on his massive tomato nursery greenhouse when dollar was around N300 plus or less. Now, its around N600. And you are setting up tomato farm and paste. Really I do not think you know the kind of investment needed. We are talking of bi-bi-bi-llions. Salary you will pay per month....maybe will be close to N3million or even over if you pay well for a start while you are expected to pay more. I dont know if you own the project, but experience lately shows there is no money again. One guy was doing 5 plots pilot and was telling me lies he was doing 20 acres. Lol. I knew from start, I was just looking at the guy. And many other lies. People do like big men in Nigeria. I deliberately threw questions along, and he kept telling lies on lies. Honestly, how such person will be successful, I dont know. So, look at yourself well. What you are calling here is massive. And the present economy does not allow it except you are extremely rich. And very rich people dont really go into farming. And if you arent the owner, you cannot make decision. I work with decision makers (the owners). This has been my principle for a long time.

So, start with a pilot. 1 plot pilot is a NO for you. Even 2 acres plot is nothing much. You need to start with something reasonable which can measure your toughness and tolerance. Learn the curve well. Push yield to 30 tons at least per acre. Very few can do this.

Sell tomatoes also and add money to what you get in your cotton farm. On that 20 acres, if you get 20 tons per acre, sales can run to 170million naira for a 6-months project if you do it well. Even it is just 2 acres you decide to do, at least, do it well now. You dont want to rely on figures from consultants. This is how they finished Dangote.

If you know you can influence establishment of a pilot of 20 acres knowing well it will cost some millions running over even 20 depending where you source your materials cos I dont always get involved in such, I can give you overview of what you need to do so you can digest it well and see of ypu are ready or not. Maybe you will need time to do tomato farming for good 5 years before you attempt to move into paste production. Maybe you can do it in 2022.

I am not asking you to pay me a kobo for it. It is a deep analysis you wont get elsewhere. I do it for almost everyone and 1 out of 5 drops the idea of doing tomato paste. The last guy was so funny. Lies over lies. And I kept wondering how such will survive. Someone who hasn't crossed stage 1. Tomato paste production? A project I decided to abandon myself. You will surround yourself with good people. Make your security tight also. Just know that several people will be millionaires through the project. But if you listen to me, you will cut off wastes and tackle them. Or maybe you are one of the people who wants to get rich via it, and you want to take idea. Sir, I dont work for/with consultants/managers/directors ooooo. This project is massive. Please, forgive me for my doubts. I work with decision makers. Those who has the final say. Not that my say will pass through some red tapes. My say goes straight to the one person who makes decisions. That's it. I have rejected numerous offers cos of this reason. Please, forgive me for my doubts. The project is technical and massive. Its cos of dishonest people I am saying this.

Finally, farming is dynamic. What works today may stop working next year. Obviously climate change and introduction of viral diseases by business men are two major factors. Dangote brought seeds when he started, he has changed to other varieties. He wanted to use farmers, he has started his farm. If you ask him today, he will tell you he made a blunder building a plant without knowing farming. He felt tomato is like sugarcane. Lol. Sugarcane that you leave and just walk away. See eh! Tomato farmers and workers will play azonto music and you see then dancing Makosa. Dem don confuse you. Na you go tell them say na that Azonto make dem dance to that Azonto Music. If dem wan change am, you know. That's what it takes to be successful. Else, they will build mansions for their girlfriends via your project. grin

Please, if you own the project, or you are a decision maker, feel free to send me email.

I pray success comes your way.

2 Likes

Re: Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by zigzagluv: 2:18pm On Oct 26, 2021
thanks for your reply
I will answer your concern
About 19 to 20 tons daily production. Quite big. It is massive like you said.Is not 19 tons daily but about 20,000 to 25,000 ton daily

Some figures arent adding up here. 250,000 hectares is 90% of the land area of Lagos. That is "over huge". Anyway, you will have to go round states to get this. Maybe possible, I do not know your strategy to achieve this. But it is not adding up.

For 7 million MT annually, if you have an efficient farm, you need 2304 - 4608 hectares (5760 - 11,520 acres). And you must get 20 - 40 tons yield per acre.

Most seeds are 40 tons potential yield as claimed by producers, but you can hardly get it. Though, it is very possible if you do it right. Presently, Nigerian best farmers get about max of 24 tons like I have written earlier. Most still get around 5 to 10 in SS and SW, while 2 tons per acre is common in the north because they dont know how to do it.

Yes i will go like 4 state but i could use about 250,000 acre but im not opening the company in lagos but in edo state , Im thinking farming in edo state, kogi, oyo, and any where we could lease land, we are going lease land from state government , like a 15 years land lease ,
Going by your calculation 40 tons yield per acre multiply it by 11520 arces will give you about 480000 mt ton annually. the tomatoes processing plant will be 7 million mt annually.

It is good, but you can still get something a cheaper option which will last you longer. Just get tropical design and not temperate kf you dont want to run into trouble.

the link i sent to you in a nursery plant for a company called morning star in California

I totally understand this is not a small project but required huge capital in terms of salary and everything , im totally aware of the dollar rate in the market , Im not starting a pilot or anything like that.

i'M on the owner and decision maker , The finance come by that time will not be a problem
This is the plan:
1. Get a land lease hand agreement in different part of the state, country.

2. Have a nursery warehouse , move from nursery to transplant in different farm land,
Note this part of the company and everybody working there will be paid.The nursery warehouse will be built before the tomatoes progressing plant.
3. Grow tomatoes ,Harvest and send to the plant for progressing.

This is why i was contacting you , i need guys that really know what they are doing not bunch of consultant that will be paid , then go hire people to work with.
On the part of Dangote investing 3 billion on Nursery , leave those guy they like hyping figure to get more CBN loan...
"You dont want to rely on figures from consultants. This is how they finished Dangote." i don't want to rely on any figure but i just want to export tomatoes paste to other African countries.

"If you know you can influence establishment of a pilot of 20 acres" i can influence a project of 250,000 arce of tomatoes farming
I know tomatoes farming is hard , this is why i will like to hire the right people not consultants , they people will be in-charge of the farm, this is why i contact you ,I will like to build team with guyS that know what they do and how to archive success.

Attit:

About 19 to 20 tons daily production. Quite big. It is massive like you said.

Sale of cotton bale to raise capital? Ok.

Do pilot. At least 1 year pilot. You may want to move start up to 2023. Or do a pilot now, and start 2022 ending. Cover both dry and wet season. You have a lot to learn.

If you intend setting up what you claim above, I think you should have no stress financiallly in setting up 10 to 20 acres pilot. That's 0.0017 land area of your total production from my estimation. And this is not cheap. Even it is just 1 ha, start the pilot asap.

If you ask me, I know you do not know what it entails, and it is why your figures and expectations are high. Of course, you can achieve the expectation, but you wont with your method.

You are talking about a multi billion naira project. Dangote spent 3 billion only on his massive tomato nursery greenhouse when dollar was around N300 plus or less. Now, its around N600. And you are setting up tomato farm and paste. Really I do not think you know the kind of investment needed. We are talking of bi-bi-bi-llions. Salary you will pay per month....maybe will be close to N3million or even over if you pay well for a start while you are expected to pay more. I dont know if you own the project, but experience lately shows there is no money again. One guy was doing 5 plots pilot and was telling me lies he was doing 20 acres. Lol. I knew from start, I was just looking at the guy. And many other lies. People do like big men in Nigeria. I deliberately threw questions along, and he kept telling lies on lies. Honestly, how such person will be successful, I dont know. So, look at yourself well. What you are calling here is massive. And the present economy does not allow it except you are extremely rich. And very rich people dont really go into farming. And if you arent the owner, you cannot make decision. I work with decision makers (the owners). This has been my principle for a long time.

So, start with a pilot. 1 plot pilot is a NO for you. Even 2 acres plot is nothing much. You need to start with something reasonable which can measure your toughness and tolerance. Learn the curve well. Push yield to 30 tons at least per acre. Very few can do this.

Sell tomatoes also and add money to what you get in your cotton farm. On that 20 acres, if you get 20 tons per acre, sales can run to 170million naira for a 6-months project if you do it well. Even it is just 2 acres you decide to do, at least, do it well now. You dont want to rely on figures from consultants. This is how they finished Dangote.

If you know you can influence establishment of a pilot of 20 acres knowing well it will cost some millions running over even 20 depending where you source your materials cos I dont always get involved in such, I can give you overview of what you need to do so you can digest it well and see of ypu are ready or not. Maybe you will need time to do tomato farming for good 5 years before you attempt to move into paste production. Maybe you can do it in 2022.

I am not asking you to pay me a kobo for it. It is a deep analysis you wont get elsewhere. I do it for almost everyone and 1 out of 5 drops the idea of doing tomato paste. The last guy was so funny. Lies over lies. And I kept wondering how such will survive. Someone who hasn't crossed stage 1. Tomato paste production? A project I decided to abandon myself. You will surround yourself with good people. Make your security tight also. Just know that several people will be millionaires through the project. But if you listen to me, you will cut off wastes and tackle them. Or maybe you are one of the people who wants to get rich via it, and you want to take idea. Sir, I dont work for/with consultants/managers/directors ooooo. This project is massive. Please, forgive me for my doubts. I work with decision makers. Those who has the final say. Not that my say will pass through some red tapes. My say goes straight to the one person who makes decisions. That's it. I have rejected numerous offers cos of this reason. Please, forgive me for my doubts. The project is technical and massive. Its cos of dishonest people I am saying this.

Finally, farming is dynamic. What works today may stop working next year. Obviously climate change and introduction of viral diseases by business men are two major factors. Dangote brought seeds when he started, he has changed to other varieties. He wanted to use farmers, he has started his farm. If you ask him today, he will tell you he made a blunder building a plant without knowing farming. He felt tomato is like sugarcane. Lol. Sugarcane that you leave and just walk away. See eh! Tomato farmers and workers will play azonto music and you see then dancing Makosa. Dem don confuse you. Na you go tell them say na that Azonto make dem dance to that Azonto Music. If dem wan change am, you know. That's what it takes to be successful. Else, they will build mansions for their girlfriends via your project. grin

Please, if you own the project, or you are a decision maker, feel free to send me email.

I pray success comes your way.
Re: Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by Attit: 5:53pm On Oct 26, 2021
zigzagluv:
thanks for your reply
I will answer your concern
About 19 to 20 tons daily production. Quite big. It is massive like you said.Is not 19 tons daily but about 20,000 to 25,000 ton daily
365 days a year. 25k tons is 9.125 million tons.
If you remove Sundays, then, you arrive at 7.7 million tons. And if you decide to remove Saturday, you get 6.425 million tons.
Kindly do your calculation well.

However, it depends on your tomato paste processor. It may then be 25k tons maximum. As I do not expect it to operate at maximum all days long. So, it is possible to use 25k tons and float btw 19k to 25k tons. That's 76% efficiency. But I will rather work towards minimum of 95% which is 22.5k tons. You should float between 22.5k and 25k tons daily production. This is massive. Of course Saturdays must be included. Maybe you want to use Sundays as the rest days.

Plus Sundays - 8.213 million to 9.125million tons
Minus Sundays - 6.998 million to 7.778million tons

Yeah...the kilo '000 ...I missed.

Your response
Yes i will go like 4 state but i could use about 250,000 acre but im not opening the company in lagos but in edo state , Im thinking farming in edo state, kogi, oyo, and any where we could lease land, we are going lease land from state government , like a 15 years land lease ,
Going by your calculation 40 tons yield per acre multiply it by 11520 arces will give you about 480000 mt ton annually. the tomatoes processing plant will be 7 million mt annually.
I used Lagos as an example to show how massive it is. I do not expect you to set up in Lagos. Yes, you got me right. Using Lagos as an example, you can see that you need to establish in various places. Getting a farm as big as your proposal is hard. And it is not just getting land, you need water. This is important.

So, think deeply. Do you want to be moving your tomatoes over long distances? Hmmm! This is not good. Rather, you arrange your farms well and set up plants which can manage each farms in the same area. Why do you want to include additional costs of transportable over which is interstate? Not a wise option.

Put into consideration of the possiblity of paying VAT to states which will change many things. These are issues which destroy projects. Why do you want to go all out at once? This is what I am trying to tell you all along.

Even dealing with just one state is dying inside. Tomato Jos dealing with just Kaduna is still starting. Not to talk of you wanting to combine 3 states. Political issues will frustrate you. But its doable.

Yes, you are right. If you can acquire such massive land, hmmm. My point is that you cannot finish the land.

Your comment
the link i sent to you in a nursery plant for a company called morning star in California

I totally understand this is not a small project but required huge capital in terms of salary and everything , im totally aware of the dollar rate in the market , Im not starting a pilot or anything like that.

i'M on the owner and decision maker , The finance come by that time will not be a problem
I am making comment here concerning your last sentence here that the finance will be no problem. Why dont you start farming first instead of starting your plant? Tomato Jos spent almost 10 years doing farming before migrating to paste. You do not need to do it that long. You just need a good pilot to see your efficiency. This will determine how to set up your plant. This is the mistake Dangote made. He assumed he could get from farmers and make them rich and busy. But those farmers are cursed. I know it cos I have worked with farmers. And he has decided to send them all away. Supply him tomato is additional for him as he will not beg anyone again. Even one governor wanted to force him again ask farmers supply him raw materials after his experience with the plant. Dangote just declined respectfully.

This is the plan:
1. Get a land lease hand agreement in different part of the state, country.

2. Have a nursery warehouse , move from nursery to transplant in different farm land,
Note this part of the company and everybody working there will be paid.The nursery warehouse will be built before the tomatoes progressing plant.
3. Grow tomatoes ,Harvest and send to the plant for progressing.
Revise your plan sir. These steps above will kill your business.

Your number one is getting a pilot done. You can do 20 acres pilot now. Do not worry about the tomato paste processor now. Sell the tomatoes after harvest. Just do this. Leave a full year for this. Forget about massive land lease for now. Land is not running anywhere. You want to use 1 year cash from cotton to do it. See, you may not use it to do the plant, but use it to set even a bigger farm.

Step 1: Get 20 acres now. And do it. If you cannot finance 20 acres, do what you can finance now. If you cannot do anything now, then still do that pilot after your cotton harvest and keep the remaining cash.

Step 2: after six months pilot, you will them have idea of what you want to do. If you are satisfied with it, go and gt massive land and start. If you arent satisfied, go for another round of pilot. Go steadily is my point.

Step 3: After pilot, you know what to do. And you know the exact land area you need. That's when you lease land. You may even start leasing before the end cos by the time you do first harvest, the whole picture will be getting clearer.

And you can move on. Massive greenhouses and bla bla bla should not even come in now. You can even do very cheap local greenhouse with wood at first or import a cheaper option for now. Why go for the huge greenhouses at the start. It doesnt make sense.

Even you have cash to start up now, do not. Start with your farm pilot. Go steadily. If its 50 acres pilot you want to sgsrt with....fine. I do not expect you to sgsrg with 1 acre pilot. It doesnt make sense.

Do not worry, you can sell your tomatoes without the processor. So, why establish the processor when you habe ready market which can absorb your tomatoes. If you were doing cassava, that's another case. But this is tomatoes. Please, leave the tomato processor for now and face farming first.

Bro, after your 20 acres pilot, and you see the amount you can raise just selling tomatoes, no one will tell you that you should farm more before setting up the plant. I am telling you. Though, after setting up your processor, you start wondering why you waited too long selling raw tomatoes.. grin

This is why i was contacting you , i need guys that really know what they are doing not bunch of consultant that will be paid , then go hire people to work with.
On the part of Dangote investing 3 billion on Nursery , leave those guy they like hyping figure to get more CBN loan...
I agree. You are right here. They inflate figures crazily. The honesty of tomato Jos is the reason Mallam ElRufai supported the later. And with the US embassy backing,....hmmm.

"You dont want to rely on figures from consultants. This is how they finished Dangote." i don't want to rely on any figure but i just want to export tomatoes paste to other African countries.

Your comment
"If you know you can influence establishment of a pilot of 20 acres" i can influence a project of 250,000 arce of tomatoes farming
I know tomatoes farming is hard , this is why i will like to hire the right people not consultants , they people will be in-charge of the farm, this is why i contact you ,I will like to build team with guyS that know what they do and how to archive success.
It is hard and not hard. It is not about being able to influence 250,000 acres. Dangote can influence even 1 million ha if the land is there. It is deeper than what you are seeing. You are the project owner....fine. Start first with 10 - 50 acres pilot. Do not rush it. You do not know the details. If I want to dupe you, I will push you to sgsrt that 250,000 acres, but I know you will fight me at the end. What do I stand to gain?

The hardest part is the farming part. If you get the farming part, you may not even need to ask for additional fund to set up the plant. 40 tons per hectare is for the masters. I think you should be talking of 20 tons for now. Or even less.

I will tell you what to do. Guide you. That's mine. If you read all we habe spoken here, you will understand me well.

I am not permanently based in Nigeria, so I cannot promise anything. But I promise to guide you if you will follow my lead.
Re: Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by Attit: 7:11pm On Oct 26, 2021
How many acres do I need for my tomato processor?

7,000,000 million tons annual capacity.

How many tons can I achieve per acre?

If you do not set stakes (a process of raising plants so they do not crawl on ground) you may achieve 10 tons per acre or even less, it means you need 700,000 acres. Also, you must consider weather. You can work well during dry season if you have enough water. If not, you cannot. Do not just lease land now. Tomatoes which need irrigation and not a tough crop which can do well on only rain.

If you get max, you have 40 tons. And if average, it is 20 tons.

The choice to invest in staking the farm or not. Can you stake the whole farm?
The convenience and capability of maintaining stakeed farm.

What kind of irrigation? You do not know now. I do not know too. It is when you get your land we can know. This is why you need to get right farming first.

To get 20 tons while your plants crawl during dry season is getting to perfection. And to mulch and stake 100,000 acres is not a joke. Not to talk of mulching 700,000 acres.

Tomato Jos started with drip and then mulch, today, the lady has moved to sprinkler. Lol. She has her reason. When I reached a point, I sat down and said it seems I have to look into rain fed again. And I went in. I can boldly move into rain fed. I know how to study rain. I know when to dive in and when not to again. But is it sustainable for a continuous farming process like yours? No. These skills are acquired based on necessity. But it doesnt work for everyone.

Ok. Let's just say the average is 20 tons per acre, and you certainly want to achieve 7,000,000 tons annually. It means you need 350,000 acres. And I am sure you will have lesser production at some period. You may even need to quit a section of your farm for some reasons. So, Getting 450,000 acres is ideal. Then, you can try achieve 30 tons if you see that the cost is not too much. So, to give you a specific land area requirement is like messing up with you. So, you may end up sourcing for tomatoes outside also to cover the ones you cannot achieve. Things just happen. Or you should be ready to have some days production will be low which is not that good.

You need different pilots. You need different styles of farming. Cos there are days you will need to swap. If I need to go without mulch, I know what to do. Imagine you know about mulching alone, that's how you miss it. It is a continous process.

I remember a lady who came to me about 4 years ago and learned just a style, she took off. The remaining part of the money she was to pay, she ran away with it. I just smiled. It was just last week I heard she has relocated finally to the UK with a failed farm she wants to sell. I smiled. The person who felt she was smart. Lol.

Sir, when God blesses you with good people, listen to them, and treat them well. I am saying this cos you need continuous discussion. It doesnt have to be me. In fact, I do not have enough time. But when I decide to work with anyone, the person will be the one who will be tired cos I go deep.

450,000 acres is 1821 sqkm. Sure, it is achievable.
Edo is 17,802 sqkm
Kogi is 29,833 sqkm
Oyo is 28,454 sqkm

But you need land close to water. Or you spend massively on drilling industrial boreholes. Even at that, you want to get land with good underground water. There are places in Oyo that I cannot try. Never. One will drill and drill. Ire is a terrible place. Lol..Then, to power the submersible pump, hmmm...you start buying diesel anyhow. Meanwhile, if you have good water, you are good to go.

Ogun Osun River basin had to create an artificial river. There was a close by huge river and they channel it to nearby the location they wanted to use. Gradually, they introduced different fish species. But I heard the water produces iron and some other elements which affect the central Pivot there. Maybe I am wrong, I dont know (I heard it on grapevine). And farmers always say the water there is part of the trouble they are facing, but I think they are ignorant and they do not know how to get the job done.

You cannot just get any land if you do not want to run into trouble, or your cost of production will go up.

But at the same time, you must consider security. It's a choice. If I have to drill powerful irrigation where security is tight, so be it. So, there are many issues you need to consider. You cannot just rush it. You need someone to continuously guide you from the start to the end. To help you make better decisions also.

Please, note that this figure is still exactly what I said about being almost the whole Lagos land area cos 22% of Lagos is water, and the total of Lagos is 3,345. I do not understand how I made the mistake of giving you the acres i wrote. It was a mistake. It is still the same estimation i talked about.

Out of 450,000 acres, 20 acres are tiny. Lol. Maybe you need to do 20 acres first, then upgrade to 50, and then to see how you can do continuous production. You need to do it step by step. Do not rush into paste. Along the line you may change your plan. And if you can start with 100 acres, fine. It's good. But it's not a joke.

Also, you may need risk management. Again, you need crop rotation. You wont be doing only tomato. So, you need equipment for the other crops also. You must so you make your land healthy.

In some cases you will even divert into something else. It all depends on what you meet there.

What I need you to do now
Find out how many acres you can start this month so you can start your pilot. You need information.

Get a team who will take care of the acres for you. You do not need to go huge.

If it is 2 acres, you can do, start now. It is for the purpose of collecting information. If you can do 20 acres, start now. And if 50 acres, starf now. Do not wait till when you have huge money to lease massive land. Nope, start now and learn what it takes to do. This will help you make better decision. It will help you when you want to choose land you are leasing. I do not know how to explain as you will never get it. And at the end, you may get a location which will give you trouble. So, get on board and sgsrg learning. You have 1 good year till the end of 2022 to learn. Start now with what you can afford.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by zigzagluv: 2:53am On Oct 27, 2021
thanks for the reply my friend but i think you are just trying to see fault in what im writing as i dont know what im saying, First no company works 365 days , There will be Holiday , The Muslim holiday , christian holiday, Public holiday e.t.c .so i did my calculation very well and i know what im saying the company that was to design the plant have started work in Italy. Why im talking about Benin edo state because my brother is building has industry park on a 500 hectare of land, There will be 24 hours power supply , because of the Gas turbine Generator
On this calculation you are right "However, it depends on your tomato paste processor. It may then be 25k tons maximum. As I do not expect it to operate at maximum all days long. So, it is possible to use 25k tons and float btw 19k to 25k tons. That's 76% efficiency. But I will rather work towards minimum of 95% which is 22.5k tons. You should float between 22.5k and 25k tons daily production. This is massive. Of course Saturdays must be included. Maybe you want to use Sundays as the rest days.

Yeah...the kilo '000 ...I missed."
But Saturday will an half day job , from 8am to 1pm , I know is a massive job...

You know where i have used to get land for family has water , I dont know if you have been to edo state, what part of the country are you from? All location the farms will be located there will be water , im aware of it , I will not be moving tomatoes for a long distance , im not farming in the north , we have alot of farming land in edo state, Kogi... Like tomatoes Jos, She placed her progressing plant KD but the plant in JOS..
First the vat law has not take effect , lastly the VAT or TAX are not paid on agricultural produce.
"Yes, you are right. If you can acquire such massive land, hmmm. My point is that you cannot finish the land." what do you mean i cant finish the land, im not going to buy them but lease them for 5 years or properly 10 years ....
Tomato Jos spent 10 years farming tomatoes because she doesn't have a working capital,No bank would have given her loans or supported her , Many still believe she didnt own the progressing plant by herself ,there politicians investing on the plant, that's why an APC handle tweet about the plant before...
Dangote mistake was not the farm , but rely on sat from the the Nigerian government and to many consultant in the progress. You are not just assume does farmer are cursed bro , thats a wrong thing for you to say. We are Dangote is planing two different thing, We are building our farm and our plant according to the capacity the farm, We are not rely on any farmers. We have study the Dangote farm issue carefully and see his mistake, we never repeat them.

"You want to use 1 year cash from cotton to do it. See, you may not use it to do the plant, but use it to set even a bigger farm." dont assume on this issue because you dont know the amount , The company for plant has started work , is the farm and nursery side we are planing , this is why i said ending of next year.. You should know on the first year of manufacturing the plant cant run a fully capacity , it can start by 1.4 million mt progressing .
The Massive greenhouses is form nursery...

On the first start could be 100,000 acre, we know we can archive it.we do both dry and wet season... Dangote try to follow same way by owning his farm

Attit:

If you remove Sundays, then, you arrive at 7.7 million tons. And if you decide to remove Saturday, you get 6.425 million tons.

However, it depends on your tomato paste processor. It may then be 25k tons maximum. As I do not expect it to operate at maximum all days long. So, it is possible to use 25k tons and float btw 19k to 25k tons. That's 76% efficiency. But I will rather work towards minimum of 95% which is 22.5k tons. You should float between 22.5k and 25k tons daily production. This is massive. Of course Saturdays must be included. Maybe you want to use Sundays as the rest days.

I used Lagos as an example to show how massive it is. I do not expect you to set up in Lagos. Yes, you got me right. Using Lagos as an example, you can see that you need to establish in various places. Getting a farm as big as your proposal is hard. And it is not just getting land, you need water. This is important.

So, think deeply. Do you want to be moving your tomatoes over long distances? Hmmm! This is not good. Rather, you arrange your farms well and set up plants which can manage each farms in the same area. Why do you want to include additional costs of transportable over which is interstate? Not a wise option.

Put into consideration of the possiblity of paying VAT to states which will change many things. These are issues which destroy projects. Why do you want to go all out at once? This is what I am trying to tell you all along.

Even dealing with just one state is dying inside. Tomato Jos dealing with just Kaduna is still starting. Not to talk of you wanting to combine 3 states. Political issues will frustrate you. But its doable.

Yes, you are right. If you can acquire such massive land, hmmm. My point is that you cannot finish the land.

I am making comment here concerning your last sentence here that the finance will be no problem. Why dont you start farming first instead of starting your plant? Tomato Jos spent almost 10 years doing farming before migrating to paste. You do not need to do it that long. You just need a good pilot to see your efficiency. This will determine how to set up your plant. This is the mistake Dangote made. He assumed he could get from farmers and make them rich and busy. But those farmers are cursed. I know it cos I have worked with farmers. And he has decided to send them all away. Supply him tomato is additional for him as he will not beg anyone again. Even one governor wanted to force him again ask farmers supply him raw materials after his experience with the plant. Dangote just declined respectfully.

Your number one is getting a pilot done. You can do 20 acres pilot now. Do not worry about the tomato paste processor now. Sell the tomatoes after harvest. Just do this. Leave a full year for this. Forget about massive land lease for now. Land is not running anywhere. You want to use 1 year cash from cotton to do it. See, you may not use it to do the plant, but use it to set even a bigger farm.

Step 1: Get 20 acres now. And do it. If you cannot finance 20 acres, do what you can finance now. If you cannot do anything now, then still do that pilot after your cotton harvest and keep the remaining cash.

Step 2: after six months pilot, you will them have idea of what you want to do. If you are satisfied with it, go and gt massive land and start. If you arent satisfied, go for another round of pilot. Go steadily is my point.

Step 3: After pilot, you know what to do. And you know the exact land area you need. That's when you lease land. You may even start leasing before the end cos by the time you do first harvest, the whole picture will be getting clearer.

And you can move on. Massive greenhouses and bla bla bla should not even come in now. You can even do very cheap local greenhouse with wood at first or import a cheaper option for now. Why go for the huge greenhouses at the start. It doesnt make sense.

Even you have cash to start up now, do not. Start with your farm pilot. Go steadily. If its 50 acres pilot you want to sgsrt with....fine. I do not expect you to sgsrg with 1 acre pilot. It doesnt make sense.

Do not worry, you can sell your tomatoes without the processor. So, why establish the processor when you habe ready market which can absorb your tomatoes. If you were doing cassava, that's another case. But this is tomatoes. Please, leave the tomato processor for now and face farming first.

Bro, after your 20 acres pilot, and you see the amount you can raise just selling tomatoes, no one will tell you that you should farm more before setting up the plant. I am telling you. Though, after setting up your processor, you start wondering why you waited too long selling raw tomatoes.. grin

I agree. You are right here. They inflate figures crazily. The honesty of tomato Jos is the reason Mallam ElRufai supported the later. And with the US embassy backing,....hmmm.

It is hard and not hard. It is not about being able to influence 250,000 acres. Dangote can influence even 1 million ha if the land is there. It is deeper than what you are seeing. You are the project owner....fine. Start first with 10 - 50 acres pilot. Do not rush it. You do not know the details. If I want to dupe you, I will push you to sgsrt that 250,000 acres, but I know you will fight me at the end. What do I stand to gain?

The hardest part is the farming part. If you get the farming part, you may not even need to ask for additional fund to set up the plant. 40 tons per hectare is for the masters. I think you should be talking of 20 tons for now. Or even less.

I will tell you what to do. Guide you. That's mine. If you read all we habe spoken here, you will understand me well.

I am not permanently based in Nigeria, so I cannot promise anything. But I promise to guide you if you will follow my lead.
Re: Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by zigzagluv: 3:13am On Oct 27, 2021
Why are planing the tomato Nursery is to increase the yield per hectare
Attit:

Re: Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by Attit: 5:12am On Oct 27, 2021
zigzagluv:
thanks for the reply my friend but i think you are just trying to see fault in what im writing as i dont know what im saying, First no company works 365 days , There will be Holiday , The Muslim holiday , christian holiday, Public holiday e.t.c .so i did my calculation very well and i know what im saying the company that was to design the plant have started work in Italy. Why im talking about Benin edo state because my brother is building has industry park on a 500 hectare of land, There will be 24 hours power supply , because of the Gas turbine Generator
It will be hard for me to advise you if you see it as finding faults. You didnt give me details, but the questions and observations from my experience made you to start saying more technical stuff. Then, you should know I understand what I am saying very well. As regards your calculation, you cannot do it well (not an insult) as I cannot dive in too myself despite I know most of the issues on ground. I can guess, but I still rely on scientific tests and I know I can do it when I already acquired the land; so, why would I want to make the estimation for my farm without having the farm on ground. No farm but you have started working on the processor. Quite strange. Stop deceiving yourself. It is from experience. Anyone who does it for you is just wasting is time or making you to spend more, and you will run into trouble if you continue like this. Tomato yield is technical to predict.

You did not mention any gas turbine initially, but my words made you say it.

You know where i have used to get land for family has water , I dont know if you have been to edo state, what part of the country are you from? All location the farms will be located there will be water , im aware of it , I will not be moving tomatoes for a long distance , im not farming in the north , we have alot of farming land in edo state, Kogi... Like tomatoes Jos, She placed her progressing plant KD but the plant in JOS.
First the vat law has not take effect , lastly the VAT or TAX are not paid on agricultural produce.
Anyway, no need to argue with you here, but Tomato Jos has nothing to do with Jos. Are you sure tye processor is in Jos? I dont want to say much any as regards other matters here since you have well arranged all the way you want. I do not think my own view matters here.

Tomato Jos spent 10 years farming tomatoes because she doesn't have a working capital,No bank would have given her loans or supported her , Many still believe she didnt own the progressing plant by herself ,there politicians investing on the plant, that's why an APC handle tweet about the plant before...
And Dangote who has the working capital still cannot find enough tomato for his 1,300 tons per day (less than 6% of the capacity you want to do). After how many years? A whole Dangote. As at this present time, he is operating at 30% efficiency. That's Dangote who is building a massive refinery. Dangote is in Kano, the land of tomatoes ooo.

The exact problem with all owners is exactly what I am seeing here. See, I can borrow money too personally, but I know it is a suicide to borrow for running a farm so high like this without starting gradually. Enough politicians are ready to tap into me, and then take shares. But they all want to be on the board and control it as they want. So, I closed my eyes to it. The issue of VAT above, I know exactly what I was saying. Maybe you wont be paying VAT for your paste we will see. Maybe I am wrong and manufacturers dont even pay at all. Maybe, but I know the situation of each states arent same. I decided not to pursue the case further. Let me just be silent. And what you will meet in different states...you will see soon.

I know Edo very well. I know the amount of rain there is reasonable, but I know what I am still saying.

Dangote mistake was not the farm , but rely on sat from the the Nigerian government and to many consultant in the progress. You are not just assume does farmer are cursed bro , thats a wrong thing for you to say. We are Dangote is planing two different thing, We are building our farm and our plant according to the capacity the farm, We are not rely on any farmers. We have study the Dangote farm issue carefully and see his mistake, we never repeat them.
I am just smiling here.So, you think Dangote started his farm last year? Ok ooo. Do you know when he commissioned his plant? A plant that he even closed for many months. Alright. A don hear. A man who is building the biggest oil refinery in Africa (or maybe in the world) is having problem with less than 7% capacity of what you want to do, and you said his problem is relying on the Nigerian government. Do you think Dangote cannot build times 10 of the capacity you want to if possible? And he situated it in Kano, the land of tomatoes, yet closed the factory for many months. Farmers prefers to allow their tomatoes rot instead of selling to him despite his effort to assist them, and you said they arent wicked. It was when he started they hyped the price of tomatoes in Lagos and they moved more to Lagos instead of selling to him, and so much wasted doing so. They were having massive rotten tomatoes, but were still making money cos they hyped the price in Lagos. Do you know what they did to the small farmers he invested in that year? Was that year not the time they had "Tomato Ebola" crisis and the whole Nigeria suffered it? Yet, you are saying he didnt have farming challenges. See eh. A dey hear ooo. Since he decided to start his tomato farm, how far has he gone? It has just helped him stabilize the situation and he has been able to send signal to the tomato cabals. I that is telling you to start with tomato sales during your pilot know exactly why. See, you know nothing about the battles Dangote has conquered in tomato production. And you do not know 0.001% of what Tomato Jos has passed through. Please, kindly check if the processor is in Jos like you wrote. If not, then, you should not trust all the infornation your people gave you. This is just my comment here.

You said farmers are not cursed. Dont worry, you have started. Right? Please, do us a favor and update us here. You think its cotton we are talking about here? Anything Lagos has influence on has cabals who are ready to sabotage any effort even you arent disturbing them. Tomato plant that I had to push aside and faced some other projects is what you want to just rush into. Ok ooo.

You have studied Dangote issue, right? Then you know exactly what to do. So, no wahala.

dont assume on this issue because you dont know the amount , The company for plant has started work , is the farm and nursery side we are planing , this is why i said ending of next year.. You should know on the first year of manufacturing the plant cant run a fully capacity , it can start by 1.4 million mt progressing .
The Massive greenhouses is form nursery...
Why would I have a 7million tons plant and waste diesel or gas and other input to start with 1.4million mt? This is African style. Wow!. This is 20% efficiency. Not acceptable. For what na? This is exactly my point. This is how Africans fail. What is wrong in first building 1.5mt if you know it is your immediate capability and then build another one later, or upgrade later. Why must you rush into the full capacity at once. For what? Have you asked the processor if it is possible to upgrade And they tell you no? But you told them to build full capacity knowing fully well you cannot achieve it immediately. It's wrong. And this is why we have many failed projects. Later when you start having crisis on your farm, you may even drop lower and you have invested in big power plants and other huge machines. Anyway it's fine. This is why I do not touch projects. I am not criticizing you, but telling you what I know always happen in Nigeria.

So, you think I dont have an idea of the cost of what you will spend? I know. And I know you will definitely pay even too much. I choose not to say much cos my experience has shown me to not argue. I always keep silent after I see the decision maker has made up his mind.

You have started your processor without sorting your farm first, and I'm telling you it is the wrong way, but you are insisting you want to go ahead. Maybe that company making the processor will set up and manage your farm, we will see later. Ok oooo. No wahala.

And you dived into massive nursery. No wahala. Nursery should be your least worry. For what? For what exactly? Nursery that if your manager knows what he's doing, boys will improvise and produce massively. That's what you worry about most now when your seedlings are still going to the open field. Despite Tomajos is a beautiful oyinbo, go and see her greenhouses for nursery. Why hurry to invest in sophisticated greenhouses for nursery when there are ways fo do it very well. China greenhouses are more than perfect to do it. For what na do you need huge greenhouses for nursery when you arent doing it all through. Las las, seedlings are still going into open field to suffer. Why pamper them in the greenhouse? Wrong strategy.

On the first start could be 100,000 acre, we know we can archive it.we do both dry and wet season... Dangote try to follow same way by owning his farm
I said start gradually, you want to dive into 100,000 acres immediately without any experience relying on what a company in Italy is telling you. No wahala. Even you have excellent farmers, you have mind ooo. You need to sit TomatoJos and Dangote down and ask them again the main challenges they face. You said you have studied Dangote...right? I do not want to find faults, but I know what I am writing here. And you think you can easily set up irrigation on 100,000 acres without going into it gradually? It is like some people really want to use you to make money. It's like saying you want to set up 3,600 units of central Pivot systems if you decide to use this. Do you know the cost of just one? What's stops you from installing just one and test to see if you arent missing anything. Why are you rushing to set up half now? Do you know the cost of half of 3,600 units?

I think you really do not know the cost you will spend on open field. You think it is the cheapest part and that's why you are investing so high in the processor and the nursery. Cos if you know, you will know that nursery is your least worry and no need to even talk about it now. And to talk about the processor now is the worst decision to make. Ha ba! Go into 50 acres and see the issues there first. Which style do you want to use? How do you go in? Dangote is in Kano where there is less rain. You are in Kogi and Benin where rain is high. Don't you realise that rain is a blessing and a curse to tomatoes? Why do you think tomato is scarce when rain starts when other crops are in abundance? Oga, you have not made a clean research at all. If you have, you will never dive into 100,000 acres without prior experience. A season of tomato is 6 months. So, you want to use that first 6 months to do 100,000 straight up? For what? It is not about money. I can do it, but I know you will not accept my recommendations except you see issues from a pilot. And I cannot waste my time arguing and then we part ways. There are those who want to chop from your stuff, and I dont have time for that. A project I know i want to do myself soon is what I will start arguing with someone who I know doesnt understand the deep issues in it. For what?

zigzagluv:
Why are planing the tomato Nursery is to increase the yield per hectare
Nursery should be your least worry, and this is where you want to invest massively first. Ok ooo. I always see those massive nurseries people make, and at the end it is zero. For what? Seedlings that are still going outside in the harsh weather. I don't get it.

Let me tell you exactly what you want to do. Nigeria consumes about 6 to 8 million tons yearly. And only you want to take the whole share. Anyway, you said you want to export to other African nations. Dangote, the man building the biggest refinery is having problem with less than 400,000 T annual production. But you are rushing into 7,000,000 Mtons. Ok ooooo.

Do you even know what you are saying at all? 100,000 acres of tomatoes and you want to just start like this. Do you understand the implication?

What do you know about varieties? Things that we know people get wrong everytime. Have you tested your varieties, you want to just rush in? Someone like me willl not even use the seeds you bring until after testing it. This is what the pilot is about. We are saying go on your pilot, you want to rush in. Do you know what I want to test? So, you have mind, you will just buy tomato seeds of 100,000 acres and sow. And get farming inputs to just do 100,000 acres like that? Without even testing it to see how far you can go? And boom. Start..expect to get super high yield and move straight to your processor.

Oga, i think we should stop here. If you are ready for a pilot now, and you can test as many seeds as possible to convince you, cos I see that your people have already made arrangement. You have 12 solid months before 2022 when you want to install your processor and start. Use this time to do pilot of a farm to test your hypothesis. Let me see what your advisers are giving you.

See I cant step my feet on your farm with what I know now. I can just give you suggestions from far. I have seen that you have perfected your farm even before starting. You are only impressed with what I have here, and you plan to add me to one of your people which I do not do. I lead projects. I have the last say before the decision maker. If the decision maker does not agree to this, I do not work in such. And this is why I dont always be on farm. I may not even set my feet there during the pilot. I will just give strategy. That's all. I know you have a team on ground already.

I dont understand where one sets up processor before starting a farm. You have already commissioned a multi billion processor (told the producer it is full capacity to work on) before setting up your farm and you are saying I am just finding faults in you. Exactly what Dangote did. The pilot is not for me, but for you. What is wrong in testing the hypothesis you have now for 12 months before you start? But you dont want to do it at all but start with 100,000 just like that? If I am doing it, I can start 100,000 acres straight, but i know you cannot see what influence my decision. So, I always make people I advise to go for pilots so they start seeing what I have seen. This will save us from having frictions. But those asking and pushing you to dive into 100,000 acres have successfully convinced you. So, what do you want from me? To get there and be arguing with what you have made up your mind to do? So that you can say I am finding more faults?

If you are ready to do 5 to 20 acres pilot, free feel to send me a mail, and I will guide you while you use your team you have now. You have 12 good months to kick off. Use it to do a good pilot. A year year pilot is recommended so you can cover the whole year and test all your hypothesis. You will send me the procedure and all you know and the process you want go take, and I will make comments and recommendations. Then, you do it with your team. 50 acres is huge. It is a serious project. No be small thing. 20 acres also is not easy. But if 100,000acres is what you want to do after setting up your factory, I wish you goodluck in the project. I have rejected even bigger proposals without looking back. I do what i know works.
Re: Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by Attit: 5:52am On Oct 27, 2021
Dangote
Who is Aliko Dangote? No need to introduce him. He is building a huge oil refinery. So, I am sure he can build anything. He has been working with govt on projects, and has been successful so far. What is in tomato paste processor that he cannot build?

Dangote Tomato Plan
He wants produce 8million metric tons annually. Just 1million higher than what my fellow NL-der wants to do.

What does he have presently?
He built a processor in Kano which can do just 1,200 tons daily (Just 1,200 tons daily production is massive that is above the reach of wealthy men oooo). That's around 350,000 - 400,000 mtons annually. But he has the plan of setting up 8 million tons. Cant Dangote start the 8milliin at once? Lol. That's the richest man in Africa. Yes or No.

How far?
He cannot even operate at full capacity after 6 years. Lol. As at this year, he operates at 300tons daily. This is around 94,000 MT annually. Mind you, tomatojos who is going about the whole Nigeria having interviews here and there is not even setting up to half of what Dangpte has presently.

Dangote presently operates at less than 30% of his full capacity even at 6 years after. Now tell me, what if Dangote had installed 8 million MT 6 years ago? Think of the huge expenses he would have incurred running the factory. It means that over 90% of the processor will be down right now. Such a waste.

How many MT tomato paste do we consume in Nigeria?
Max of 2.5 MT tomato paste. That's all. For Dangote to plan for 8 MT, he has the plan also to export to other Africsn nations. And listen, the moment you get it right even before him, he will crush you with his connection. Take it or leave it. I am not discouraging anyone, I am just telling you the reality on ground. It is very easy for Dangote to take over the brains behind an successful business in Nigeria. And he has the money and the connection to overtake and frustrate any business.

And having said the above, if Dangote cannot maintain 1,200 MT daily, who are you to start with 25,000 MT daily? Maybe Mike Adenuga, Femi Otedola, and the rest who has good relationship with the govt. And I am sure, they will have to relate with Dangote also to know the market share of Nogeria and other Sfrican nations they should enter. These people operate like cabals.

Na laugh a dey laugh here. And you commissioned a producer far away in Italy who worked more with temperate weather to start designing this huge plant for a farm in tropics facing different climatic, political, and social challenges. Is this not a suicide mission?

A whole Dangote is struggling to produce 300 MT daily with 1,200 MT daily capacity on ground , but you want to start with over 10,000MT daily having 25 000MT on ground. This is a suicide mission.

What do you guys think? Let us be frank with ourselves here. Anyone who knows about tomato production should kindly help me out here if I am over reacting. Please! Help out here.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by Attit: 6:23pm On Oct 27, 2021
We are so behind in Agriculture. By the way who first called us the giant of Africa?

What exactly are we using our brains for? To innovate looting tricks. Wow!

Have you ever checked seeds producers who target Europe and N.America. Have you noticed they really don't concentrate on soil diseases these days? Have you ever thought why this is so? Lol. I do not need to start mentioning the diseases, but try to take note. There is a reason for it, and our eyes will clear very soon. I was in Nairobi for 3 days recently where I took a robot to do a specific job in nursery. I was the same person who showed this group how to use razor blade manually to get it done. The reception was super. But in my own country, there are many ma.d people already standing on the door to not show farmers new tricks cos they do not want to learn new things, and they want farmers consulting them on the same obsolete techniques. And the farmers one is assisting are terrible beings who should not be pitied by the way. It is funny. Lol.

In fact, I thought deeply about the issue of sophisticated greenhouses for tomato nursery, and I do not understand the necessity for a sophisticated greenhouses for nursery. Have you watched the template that the Harvard graduate lady uses on her farm? In all the videos she shares, have you ever seen any sophisticated greenhouse? There was a video the greenhouses were not even covered. Lol. When boys can easily do wonders improving it. Of course you can argue with me that it allows you have numerous seedlings and bla bla bla. Come on! Seeds are seeds. You are moving to a harsh weather and you decide to pamper it with a sophisticated greenhouse at the start. Come on!

I even read that some guys said they placed trays directly on the floor to allow the roots go inside ground. What? Why then are they using trays when they always eventually destroy part of the roots? I dont get it how people think. You used trays, then allowed the roots go inside the soil, and force the roots in the process damaging them when removing the trays. Why did you buy trays in the first place? Lol.

If I had told you trays are wastes, you would be crying that I said rubbish. But you are seeing it gradually. There is a way to still use trays and use them well. But the issue is that you all want 200 cells trays and let the seedlings stay there for 30 days. How will your seedlings do well. Definitely, your roots will want to move beyond the space you compacted inside. And then, they attach themselves to the ground, and you are proud of writing that rubbish on NL. Even one man was arguing with me. I just kept silent. If the man was my worker, it's either I sack him or tell him he is without his brain. Come on! It happened to my workers around 2016, and that same night, i packed all my trays inside. They were shocked. I told them to make beds and they put seeds right inside ground like local workers. Of course the project was successful. Once you find yourself allowing roots go inside the soil, get rid of the trays. They are bad for your system. It is better the boys plant directly in the soil like the local farmers do it. You want 300 cells per tray, right. Dont worry, you will see the result.

We have been taught wrongly, and people are making more mistakes. But western farmers are moving forward.

I am not sure if I have written before that you should use coir/cocopeat. To me now, it is a waste of money. Believe me. Except you want to do hydroponics, why should you use cocopeat? For what exactly? Ok. You will use it and your seedlings do well for 30 days, after, are you not moving them inside the soil outside? So, why use cocopeat? For what exactly? If you are going to use chemicals on field, why dont you use chemicals for your seedlings also? All you need to know is what to protect. Ok, some even mix manure with coco peat, is that ok to you? Reason with me well and look into it. You want to avoid diseases by using coco peat, and you decide to mix manure; yet, your seedlings survive. Then, dont you think that you need to tweak your soil and manure for your seedlings to survive? If you can make your seedlings survive your soil in nursery, the chances are high they will make it after transplanting. These are rubbish methods I erased. If I am doing hydroponics, let me know I am using sterilized media. But I am going to still transplant them to the open field, and you want me to spend crazy costs on cocopeats and small cell trays. For what exactly? We like copying others without thinking deep. For what exactly? I repeat, if your seedlings can survive in your soil and manure for nursery, the chances are high they will survive after transplanting. I had used peat in the past too, but to me, it is a waste.

If you are doing organic, fine, I understand, but if using chemical, go back to the drawing board and find a way to make your soil accept your seedlings.

Though, I did habanero one time and the nursery was good in the nursery, and they were infected after moving to the field. I was confused. It was after 5 years I called my head worker who did the nursery and asked him the procedure he took when setting the ground for nursery, and he said he first put dried leaves on the beds and burnt the soil very well. I said "that is it". He kinda sterilized the soil. And I know the man could set the whole of Abuja on fire if he was giving the contract. He is perfect when it comes to burning forest. He knows how to even turn trees to charcoal with gradual burning method. What can he not turn to charcoal or ashes, I don't know. Just tell him you want charcoal, he will bring clean charcoal out. Tell him to bring out fine ashes with minimal charcoal, he will.

This is not an issue where I should use science to convince you. Use your common sense to review what I have written here. If you want to use trays, invest in the right size of trays. Do not be stingy and use 300 cells per tray. Those things are too small. Even 50 cells are too small for tomatoes. Uproot a tomato plant in the soil after 30 days and see how deep the roots has gone. When the roots are restricted to a tiny space, they wont do well.
Re: Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by barnabas6: 3:28am On Oct 28, 2021
Thank you sir, i'm following you.
Re: Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by HornyTave: 7:38am On Oct 28, 2021
Fluentinfor is back.
Re: Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by Efele12345: 12:42pm On Oct 28, 2021
Please I need snail farmers asap u can dm me on 08160883233
Re: Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by Attit: 4:36pm On Oct 28, 2021
My unbiased view on varieties in Nigeria. I have decided to make this review based on numerous requests. Usually, I do not want to promote any brand, but I have decided to do it this time to remove misconceptions among farmers.

Cobra F1 (Technisem)
Whether you like it or not, cobra has stayed as a champ for some years. It is the present standard of varieties to combat bacterial wilt, tmv and tyclv. All other determinates have not been able to achieve the popularity of this variety. To me, it is the BEST low cost seeds available. For goodness sake, to get an average of 15,000 seeds (50g) for just N23,000 is amazing. Though, I do not use it, and I have previously criticized it cos of some reasons, but looking back, I think it is worth praising. Let me be honest with myself too.

When I started working on seeds, and I started meeting professional all over the world, if you know what these people always say. Cobra this, cobra that. I was shocked. Then, I looked back, and checked very well. The brain behind cobra f1 actually used the right seeds from the gene bank specially prepared for Africa. I realised that Technisem actually put West African and Carribean Islands into consideration while developing this variety. And they target poor farmers.

Of course, it comes with it's own trouble. And I really blame the technisem technical crew for allowing other brands take the spot. If you know how to handle cobra, I swear you will not try any other ones in its category. This is my view. How exactly has the other ones defeated this particular variety which came on board like 2015 or so (not sure).

I have heard of some promising varieties which I am yet to observe well. If I am to port to another variety, it will surely be for higher percentage of the diseases cos no one has been able to add more diseases cobra tolerates. What most are doing is to make the variety produce higher yield either via bigger fruits, or via more flowers, but then, they compensate for this by dropping the tolerance percentage of some of the diseases esp bacterial wilt.

Technisem's 50g can comes with the idea that you need double rows per bed, and 30cm emitters. This was the main reason, I dropped the variety. If you follow this rule, and you make your beds 1m width, with walking path of 0.4m which is the usual style old skool farmers (who call themselves modern) use, you will get around 19,000 plants per acre. At this rate, I expect the farmer to prune mercilessly. But they wont prune too. Disaster over disaster. And they manage fertilizer that they get 40g to 70g max fruits. But when you feed it well, it should produce bigger fruits and deep red. And I think they have corrected the issue of over population on farms too. If you oever populate your farm, you will pay the price. You cannot escape it.

I think they need to do more of 10grams and stop 5g in my opinion. This will likely push up sales more. They will still compete well with their low cost strategy. The 50g can should stay cos that way, they can get big farms. I will look into it first before I do anything with those packing 1,000 seeds per pack. Lol. Of course, 10grams packs are still ok in my opinion. Once you open the seeds, that's it, esp the cans. That's it. Viability drops if you dont close it air tight back.

The question you really need to ask is that is this variety really suitable for you? Have you observed that most people cannot make it red in those days? It used to be like orange tomatoes. Lol. Why? And the fruits are usually not that attractive to some varieties in those days. Why? If you know how to handle it, your fruits will be amazing. The importer returned to the drawing and learned how to grow it well. I have seen them doing fine presently. East West woke them up. Lol. Generally, more farmers have started growing tomatoes successfully and I am happy for this.

Every day we learn new styles. Everyday, we learn better. And everyday we should improve. Will I use this variety? Maybe...maybe not. But it is one you cannot leave behind. It is a force to reckon with. It is still the standard of determinates less than 90g fruits. It is very affordable, also in 5 grams pack. It think it may take a disease to come remove it from the market as it has really come a long way. Jaguar which was meant for dry season in those days did not stay long like cobra. Maybe Technisem will release an advance cobra soon, perhaps. Who knows?

But one thing is sure, if I am doing 10 acres and less, I may not consider it first cos I know more about seeds. You may not be able to go to the extent I can to order seeds. So, maybe you should consider it. Why not?

Watch out! Technisem is releasing something soon. If not, someone is going to beat them to the game. What are the features you should expect?
Re: Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by Attit: 12:12am On Oct 29, 2021
Platinum, Diva, Padma
In the category of Cobra. I like their 10grams pack. It makes more sense than 5g. And it makes more sense too than 1,000 packs. Anyway, there is actually nothing bad with 1,000 counts, but Africa will always be africa.

I do not have much to say other than to congratulate the team of East West in Nigeria for a well done job in waking up the Technisem importer. But in a sense, they have better budget than any other seed makers. They are the only brand that came down to Nigeria to set up here. Others have Nigerian main distributors.

10g at around N8,500 to N9,500 is not bad, but cannot compete with the low cost Technisem. This is the advantage Cobra has over it. The low cost competitive advantage of Cobra is just fantastic. I do not see any of these varieties really taking over from Cobra. So, if you can choose cobra, these are choices you can choose also. If you still buy two packs of 5g of Cobra, they are still cheaper than any of these three. Maybe a bit closer to padma.

If you have a variety in this category and you can Oct compete with cobra in terms of its price, forget it. You stand no chance. You will not break into the market. Technisem in Nogeria dulled itself by allowing East West took a greater number of its market share because they had almost zero capable technical crew. The way East West built its team is commendable, and the customer service and social media presence is really commendable. If I was not a grounded person in veggie, believe me, the customer service and technical support of East West is enough for me to cut off Technisem. I have had so much complain that people keep asking me how to cultivate cobra in those days, and I got tired that the people who should teach buyers felt too big to do it. That was how East West took over. Kudos to the East West team.

If East West can get into more robust features with longer term harvest attribute, they are likely to win me over cos I believe this is Tues small farmers should do and leave these tiny plants for big farms. Small farms should be able to do strong stakes instead of those tiny stakes. Put plants on ground and harvest for 4 mi this minimum. Yeah. You are in business. Which one is harves for 4 weeks and they are dead. For what na? Anyway, as long as it serves those who use them, why not?
Re: Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by Attit: 12:30am On Oct 29, 2021
Commando
Continental in Kenya decided to enter the game and put forward some seeds. I have been to the site their seeds are produced and I must give it to the owner. The guy really tried being an indigenous Kenyan firm. This I put ahead of the previous ones above just for having bigger fruits, but it doesnt produce as many fruits as cobra. However, you have better price for your tomatoes.

The main con is the price. Continental used to have two brands of Capsicum which was sent to Nigeria. As at 5 years ago they were selling just 5g for N17,000 and that thing stayed in their store and wasted there. Lol. Personally, I wont even touch it cos of the ridiculous high price compared to what I expect it do.

Anyway, I have a friend who loves it till date, and he is cashing out serious. It is a good one to be honest with you if you want to try it.

I am aware a company in Ghana served as a major importer of a brand to West Africa and it claims their variety is better than cobra. Cobra is the bench mark for all these ones in its category..That low price strategy is a weapon of "dont come close to me" which Technisem has used to kill many brands in its category. Also, for the fact that they came out first with it is a huge advantage. Therefore, as good as this variety is in that category, it has been unable to penetrate the market. Also, the importer has done less in promoting continental seeds. Though, they had the opportunity in 2018 as many farmers were trying to patronize them, but their high pricing pushed away many farmers. If you are a serious farmer, and you.do not mind the price, you can try it.
Re: Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by Attit: 1:42am On Oct 29, 2021
Vigorous Varieties
As a small farmer, I expect you to go for a variety which is robust and you need a huge strong stake to pin down. This is what I think you should go for. Why would you want to kill yourself managing many plants. For what? Why? Yes, they may be expensive, but you use 1/4 to 1/2 of what you would use for the above. OK. Maybe cos I do not like having many workers on my farm I talk like this. If you have access to cheap labor, then, you may not see reason why to go for this robust option. But I noticed that even small plants are using same spacing as this kind. Lol. It is not easy to pack many plants together in the rainy seasons and not run into trouble.

However, there is one major disadvantage. They are mostly without bacterial wilt resistance. When I was studying seeds production, I realised that the patent of bacterial wilt is easier to lease for smaller plants. The person who developed bacterial wilt and lafer put forward the solution targeted commercial producers and made heck of money. It was completely out of reach of small farmers. Small farmers had to go the ancient style of solving the problem which is out of the scope of this thread. Guess what? It was a blessing which someone like me is using. And then recently, most seeds producers follow this route, and this is the future. I dont expect small plants to even penetrate market in Africa at all cos we have more small farmers. But trust Africa, low price can change everything about us. Low price can even change the deity we worship easily. If Shango or Amadioha can provide extremely cheap food for Nigerians, I bet you that churches will be empty almost immediately. If you are a seed seller and you cannot compete well using low cost, you are on your own. You better find a way to compete with cobra in terms of low cost if tou want to survive. In terms of technical support to push up your price, you have no chance as East West has captured this nicely. Forget it, these two leaders have come to stay in africa and they will dominate for long.

Continental - Maxim (recommended, but least promoted. The importer is redundant
)
RZ- Gammar, Jarrah (impressive. The importer is trying its best)

Syngenta- Newton (very good too. They focus more on their chemicals in Africa. They dont send you)

Hazera - Galilea, Shanty (my favorite. They work with only professionals who know their worth. They care less about you)

Hazera brought out two varieties in 2019 but arent in Nigeria, and these are so good, but terribly expensive. However, as a small farmers you shouldn't look at the price. Look at the value. But if you cannot manage bacterial wilt, dont near these ones. They dont do well in rainy season if you have bacterial wilt in your soil. You are on your own. The way to prevent bacterial wilt with these varieties is out of your reach. Please, do not near them if you dont want to cry.

I am not sure Jarrah and Gammar were really tested during rainy season. If you notice, Technisem and East West did many programs during rainy season and attracted many farmers who have been working towards becoming tomato farmers. Those videos of 5kg, 8kg fruits on Jarrah and Gammar, are they from rainy season? I even saw a demonstration video under greenhouse and the guy was counting 50, 60 fruits..I laughed. No na. Try it in open field and invite us to your farm in May, June, July, Sept and Oct to show us you know your onions na. I need them to show face when East West is doing theirs in the southern part of Nigeria and let's see if truly they can last. I assure you that if you have bacterial wilt, you are in soup. And the procedure to tackle it is out of reach of many. Just forget it. But it is widely used in advance countries.

If you are well travelled, it is worth looking into these two American producers: BHN and Heinz especially if you are going into paste, ketchup, and sauce production. You may need help in this regard.

Note:
The following are highly recommended for paste, ketchup, sauce producers:

1. Invest in robot for seedlings production instead of investing in high costs of greenhouses..though, you may eventually get sophisticated greenhouse, but if you know what you are doing, you can cut off prices. The kind of robot you use depends on the outcome of your pilot. It will save you so much money in the future.

2. You may likely need to start your own hybrid reproduction if you dont want to go bankrupt. You may either choose to produce seeds or seedlings. You need a good pilot. I repeat, do pilots ooo. Dont rush into it. Go systematically with someone who knows it well. Dont rely on abroad consultants. They dont know much about the system here.

Many people think it is about just producing tomatoes on the farm. No, being successful in this is more than just what you read on NL. You want to do paste, and you jumped into it with NL knowledge. Is all right ooo. We are together in this world na.

You may not even be able to produce all your fruits for paste production. You arent in the western nation for crying out loud. You need farmers to still work for/with you. You are dead if you dont have them. Trust me on this. Someone contacted me recently, and I laid emphasis on it, the person thought it was unnecessary. Honestly, I pray for the guy as he is going into it. May the person not kill himself with too much work. The kind of profit I will make and end up using it to treat an ailment, I dont want. TomatoJos expats do not joke with their vacations to the US. They dont even want to hear about it that they should stay. Even I too. You will just break down. In this Nigeria that there is no structure, you have to create your structure yourself. Mehn!

Then, you have a pilot and bear in mind that the farmers working for you may not be able to afford the seeds you use on your farm. Will you give them free seeds? Or will you ask them to buy locally and sell? Will their produce be compatible with yours? Despite TomatoJos is huge, she started her program for farmers at an earlier stage. You are afraid of organising farmers to start selling to you. See eh! You will die young. I'm telling you. Cariac arrest is nearby to do its job. And once is enough to send you away form this world. Let's not even talk about high blood pressure and stroke. I hope the concerned person or people is/are reading this. Of course this is not for my friend who contacted me recently on this thread, but those who are concerned and have interacted with me know themselves. See eh! Your staff will eat fried bean cake at your funeral and they will not feel anything. Take it from me. Life goes on..

Knowing fully well that I need a robust variety, but the cost is high and I can't really sow them in rainy season. I always want to produce my tomatoes so I dont meet the gorillas of productions (gringories from the north). What did I resolve to? What should you try? What should you look out for? I will discuss these issues in my next post.
Re: Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by fiddzy(m): 6:30am On Oct 29, 2021
ndbros4justice:
Mehnnnn!
oga how did u know grin i was skipping the thread like 3 -4 times I just said let me check it, gbam from the writeuo I know say na one vegetable expert, I have learnt a lot from his thread too, the 40 cucumbers and 12kg... its nice.
Re: Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by fiddzy(m): 7:02am On Oct 29, 2021
Attit:
Vigorous Varieties
As a small farmer, I expect you to go for a variety which is robust and you need a huge strong stake to pin down. This is what I think you should go for. Why would you want to kill yourself managing many plants. For what? Why? Yes, they may be expensive, but you use 1/4 to 1/2 of what you would use for the above. OK. Maybe cos I do not like having many workers on my farm I talk like this. If you have access to cheap labor, then, you may not see reason why to go for this robust option. But I noticed that even small plants are using same spacing as this kind. Lol. It is not easy to pack many plants together in the rainy seasons and not run into trouble.

However, there is one major disadvantage. They are mostly without bacterial wilt resistance. When I was studying seeds production, I realised that the patent of bacterial wilt is easier to lease for smaller plants. The person who developed bacterial wilt and lafer put forward the solution targeted commercial producers and made heck of money. It was completely out of reach of small farmers. Small farmers had to go the ancient style of solving the problem which is out of the scope of this thread. Guess what? It was a blessing which someone like me is using. And then recently, most seeds producers follow this route, and this is the future. I dont expect small plants to even penetrate market in Africa at all cos we have more small farmers. But trust Africa, low price can change everything about us. Low price can even change the deity we worship easily. If Shango or Amadioha can provide extremely cheap food for Nigerians, I bet you that churches will be empty almost immediately. If you are a seed seller and you cannot compete well using low cost, you are on your own. You better find a way to compete with cobra in terms of low cost if tou want to survive. In terms of technical support to push up your price, you have no chance as East West has captured this nicely. Forget it, these two leaders have come to stay in africa and they will dominate for long.

)

Syngenta- Newton (very good too. They focus more on their chemicals in Africa. They dont send you)

Hazera - Galilea, Shanty (my favorite. They work with only professionals who know their worth. They care less about you)

Hazera brought out two varieties in 2019 but arent in Nigeria, and these are so good, but terribly expensive. However, as a small farmers you shouldn't look at the price. Look at the value. But if you cannot manage bacterial wilt, dont near these ones. They dont do well in rainy season if you have bacterial wilt in your soil. You are on your own. The way to prevent bacterial wilt with these varieties is out of your reach. Please, do not near them if you dont want to cry.

I am not sure Jarrah and Gammar were really tested during rainy season. If you notice, Technisem and East West did many programs during rainy season and attracted many farmers who have been working towards becoming tomato farmers. Those videos of 5kg, 8kg fruits on Jarrah and Gammar, are they from rainy season? I even saw a demonstration video under greenhouse and the guy was counting 50, 60 fruits..I laughed. No na. Try it in open field and invite us to your farm in May, June, July, Sept and Oct to show us you know your onions na. I need them to show face when East West is doing theirs in the southern part of Nigeria and let's see if truly they can last. I assure you that if you have bacterial wilt, you are in soup. And the procedure to tackle it is out of reach of many. Just forget it. But it is widely used in advance countries.

If you are well travelled, it is worth looking into these two American producers: BHN and Heinz especially if you are going into paste, ketchup, and sauce production. You may need help in this regard.

Note:

1. Invest in robot for seedlings production instead of investing in high costs of greenhouses..though, you may eventually get sophisticated greenhouse, but if you know what you are doing, you can cut off prices. The kind of robot you use depends on the outcome of your pilot. It will save you so much money in the future.

2. You may likely need to start your own hybrid reproduction if you dont want to go bankrupt. You may either choose to produce seeds or seedlings. You need a good pilot. I repeat, do pilots ooo. Dont rush into it. Go systematically with someone who knows it well. Dont rely on abroad consultants. They dont know much about the system here.

Many people think it is about just producing tomatoes on the farm. No, being successful in this is more than just what you read on NL. You want to do paste, and you jumped into it with NL knowledge. Is all right ooo. We are together in this world na.

You may not even be able to produce all your fruits for paste production. You arent in the western nation for crying out loud. You need farmers to still work for/with you. You are dead if you dont have them. Trust me on this. Someone contacted me recently, and I laid emphasis on it, the person thought it was unnecessary. Honestly, I pray for the guy as he is going into it. May the person not kill himself with too much work. The kind of profit I will make and end up using it to treat an ailment, I dont want. TomatoJos expats do not joke with their vacations to the US. They dont even want to hear about it that they should stay. Even I too. You will just break down. In this Nigeria that there is no structure, you have to create your structure yourself. Mehn!

Then, you have a pilot and bear in mind that the farmers working for you may not be able to afford the seeds you use on your farm. Will you give them free seeds? Or will you ask them to buy locally and sell? Will their produce be compatible with yours? Despite TomatoJos is huge, she started her program for farmers at an earlier stage. You are afraid of organising farmers to start selling to you. See eh! You will die young. I'm telling you. Cariac arrest is nearby to do its job. And once is enough to send you away form this world. Let's not even talk about high blood pressure and stroke. I hope the concerned person or people is/are reading this. Of course this is not for my friend who contacted me recently on this thread, but those who are concerned and have interacted with me know themselves. See eh! Your staff will eat fried bean cake at your funeral and they will not feel anything. Take it from me. Life goes on..

Knowing fully well that I need a robust variety, but the cost is high and I can't really sow them in rainy season. I always want to produce my tomatoes so I dont meet the gorillas of productions (gringories from the north). What did I resolve to? What should you try? What should you look out for? I will discuss these issues in my next post.
Good day sir, please your advice is needed on this jarrah variety , I watched a video on an IITA farmers field day it was on an open field the yield was about 2.4 kg or so the fruits were still green, they were not matured yet I intend using it during the dry season sir. Thanks sir.

Re: Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by fiddzy(m): 7:02am On Oct 29, 2021
[quote author=Attit post=107151779]Vigorous Varieties

)

Note:

Good day sir, please your advice is needed on this jarrah variety , I watched a video on an IITA farmers field day it was on an open field the yield was about 2.4 kg or so the fruits were still green, they were not matured yet I intend using it during the dry season sir. Thanks sir.
Re: Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by fiddzy(m): 7:08am On Oct 29, 2021
Attit:
Vigorous Varieties

)

Note:

Re: Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by fiddzy(m): 7:09am On Oct 29, 2021
Attit:
[b]Vigorous Varieties[/b]Good day sir, please your advice is needed on this jarrah variety , I watched a video on an IITA farmers field day it was on an open field the yield was about 2.4 kg or so the fruits were still green, they were not matured yet I intend using it during the dry season sir. Thanks sir.

)

Note:

Re: Tomato Seeds Varieties - TBRFV, Fruiting style, and Yield by Attit: 11:15am On Oct 29, 2021
I kindly plead with those interrupting with unrelated comments to let this thread flow. Ask your questions if you want to. I always try my best to attend to questions. I want to push more contents out before Jan when we all start hustling in the jungle to grow round/oblong reds and turn them to naira.

15 months ago, I was working with a professor and he noticed I stopped using fancy nursery media and pampering. He kept observing me, and one day rang me up. He wanted to know why I refused to use optimum condition for the nursery. In fact, we had a long discussion.

Why should I want to optimize it when it will still suffer in the field? Yeah, get all the best and nice seedlings from your sophisticated greenhouse nursery, na wash. They get to the field and start messing up. It is like a sudden change for a Victoria Island butter kid in an air conditioned classroom with British or American teachers. Suddenly his dad was arrested recently for fraud, and everything was seized, plus the man is presently in the jail. Meanwhile his mom was just a spender who had insulted everyone. She had to move to Mainland and then started normal private school. The kid started messing up. Now imagine things were bad and it was down inside Ajegunle primary school the kid sundenly found himself where his mates were already piping down "fish" down their throats with voice of 35 years of men. The smell of Colorado was the odor in their school. Early morn, his teacher stepped down with those yellow slim nylon liquors. When back hands started landing on his face, the kid tore down completely. Exactly, the same with your seedlings. You pamper them, and then move them to the field. Wow. You start calculating some N15million naira profit. Fine ooo. You even converted it to pounds and wow. You are dreaming of having around £20,000 in your account. So, you are sure that the consular is in trouble. Scotland is in your eyes sharply. Bye bye to Naija permanent. All you need is come back next year to hustle and get out again. Fine oooo. Your life has nothing to do with NL snakes and reptiles front page stories in the ext 6 months. Wow!

Suddenly, your crops start dying in your presence. And hopes went down again. Maybe you need to appeal to Angel Gabriel to intercede for you.

In fact, there is no way you pamper seedlings and get 30 tons per acre. Not possible. There are methods I have deviced which I use. To cut the story short, the professor told me that he wanted me to have a video conference with his colleague in Saudi Arabia. Hey! 40C temperature. Temp climb to 45C at there. Saudi has used oil exploration destroy their whether too. No gain, no pain. When the man started dazzling me the techniques he invented and how they survive in Saudi, my brain opened and started working exponentially. He threw at me 25 good research papers he has done with some of his students and other professors. I studied everything very well. I still talk to the Arab brain till date. After my Salam Maleku, the brain starts downloading. Respect to the man. One of the people who contacted me recently about tomato paste gave me a university in Israel and truly there was something special I got. I went for another thing, I got something else. See, this life is simple and straight. There are reasons you meet some people. God has always been faithful to me.

To conclude my story, the idea is that if you are able to nurture your seedlings under the condition it will eventually stay, they stand a good chance of having higher yield because they are about to tolerate the environment better. So, why do you need a sophisticated greenhouse to pamper it? Spend money to make your job easier, faster, and more efficient, rather than pampering seedlings. Get it? Do not let anyone belittle your small bamboo nursery. As long as you find a way not to disturb the roots while transplanting and the roots are robust, you are good to go.

But them, you need sophisticated equipment and stages of shading. Well, I do not want to write details here cos it will be like jargons. But if you are serious and you are ready to listen, not trying to be smart, believe me, you will get suggestions from me, and you can choose what may work for you. The money you want to use to buy greenhouses from Canada or Spain, go to Chinko and get something there. Or, enter bush and cut iron wood, if you know how to. LOL. And treat them well if the option is cheap for you. I am not concerned about how expensive your structure is, but how efficient it is. Air flow, stages of shading, how you can toughen your seedlings, how you can make your seedlings roots grow massively before you transfer to field is my target. Could you believe the professor usually sacrifice 50% of his seedlings? I asked him how he is able to cope with high cost of seedlings, and he also said who wants to continue making sellers rich? I laughed. Obviously, his team produces seeds. But wait! In Nigeria, you want to get people to pollinate manually for you? grin

How can you use 300 cells per tray and get good roots? Dont you know that your roots are the first area you should grow well? There are many organic aids and sprays introduced which I used to condemn cos there was no reason to even think about them. But when I changed my style again, they started making sense to me. Amino acids and some other acids are so powerful. A colleague of mine confirmed me to a kind of acid which helps roots 3 week, and I used it for a nursery test and boom. I got something. Two days ago, I showed him the one I used, and he confirmed it that was it. I smiled. There are special microbes you need for your nursery also. This is a very wide topic.

What I find funny is how snail farmers have accepted high cost of greenhouses for snail. The same people come to vegetable and they start scratching their palms trying to cut costs down drastically. Mehn! We spend money on what people say we should spend on. And it is sad. If the successful East West team decides tomorrow to promote something else, every famer will dance to their tune without using his number 6. Just look at how Covid-19 changed the way people live. The funny issue is that those shouting the vaccine is 666 took the vaccine when a human pastor told them to. This is to tell you that human beings want to be controlled. Humans are funny. Just imagine the number of Christians vaccinated because FG moved vaccines to churches. Lol... the same people who said they would rather die than receive the vaccine took the shot cos a man amounted the pulpit and told them to take it. Na waooo! And I can control you too. Lol.

Anyway, I try to say the truth. And I always lay emphasis on it everytime so it will stick in your head that consultants do not "send" you. If you need to learn, guy, leave aside your ego and learn. That person fighting me seriously is angry cos you are not paying him more anymore.

If you are getting into paste making, I congratulate you. Your pilot should be standard. There are parameters you need to check. It's not just about producing tomatoes for fresh market. You do not want to produce the quality we import from China. Do you? You will be sent away soon. See, Nigerian products are with quality or strong. Go and ask Elwctrical Engineers about cables made in Nigeria compared to the ones imported. We have that culture cos we love holding to properties. Go to Ebute Meta in Lagos and see the houses built by the British for railway workers in the 60s. Also, check out the fly overs built at herbert Marcauly and the road network. Again, move to Ikoyi and see the structures build by the British there. We are made to build strong things. But we suddenly changed cos of the economy and cos of some greedy people. The narrative will change the moment we start manufacturing again. My thoughts have changed. Listen, if you build a "yeye" paste processor, you will suffer it cos your competitors will crush you. Then, consumers will start comparing tastes. If you like, go and add artificial sweetener to compete, you are doing yourself. Heinz will forever be one of the best. And them, there is a reason BHN is only about tomatoes, nothing else.

Do not just build any rubbish plant. Varieties of paste, ketchup with natural taste make a huge difference. Wow! Different labels that each family will buy all brands of ketchup forcing them to buy 5 bottles instead of one. Today, they eat a particular taste, tomorrow its another. Instead of those useless pastes and ketchups from China..lol.. You will be crushed if you dont plan well. And you need to start now. Why do you think Heinz develops his own seeds and even contracts some to BHN? TomatoJos is not a joke oooo. Do not think it is in the league of Nigerian companies. I laughed at my friend above that said lack of money was the reason it took her time. Lol. Anyway, it took her time because of the long duration in mastering the principles of farming technique. She made sure she got it right and refused the urge to dive in earlier. That is someone who always give account of the investments she has, and not these "wayo" Nigerians who manipulate the system.

By the way, what is your comment about Heinz 57 varieties? grin Siddon there and dey dream of super gigantic tomato processor, and dont get into serious research. You better invest in it, and get varieties and start testing. You think say na "moi moi" or "poreiroo" or na "beans"? E no easy. Na yam?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yam Setts/seed Yam Available. / Go Local; Affordable Fish Feed Pelleting Machine / Macropropagated Plantain Suckers, The Elite Planting Materials (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 616
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.