Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,663 members, 7,820,331 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:14 PM

Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen (2756 Views)

Lawyers Drag INEC, AGF To Court, Seek Disqualification Of Atiku, Tinubu, Obi / Nigerians React As Emefiele Drags INEC, APC, AGF To Court Over 2023 / Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by 2mercy: 1:43pm On Jun 10, 2021
The President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), has given approval to the return of the open grazing practised during the 1st Republic where herdsmen used designated grazing routes to move their cattle to several parts of the country.

To this end, the President said he had asked the Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, to begin the process of recovering land from persons who have converted cattle grazing routes for their personal use.

Buhari said this during an interview with Arise Television which was aired on Thursday.

The President said the grazing routes were designated in the 1st Republic when “Nigerians use to obey laws” but those routes had been converted.

Buhari was reacting to a question on the decision by 17 southern governors to ban open grazing.

The AGF had kicked against the declaration by the governors, adding that it was like northern governors banning spare part trading, a job that is synonymous with southerners.

When asked if he agreed with the AGF’s position, Buhari laughingly responded, “You want me to contradict my attorney-general?”

Explaining further, he said, “What I did was ask him to go and dig the gazette of the 1st Republic when people were obeying laws. There were cattle routes and grazing areas. Cattle routes were for when they (herdsmen) are moving up country, north to south or east to west, they had to go through there.

“If you allow your cattle to stray into any farm, you are arrested. The farmer is invited to submit his claims. The khadi or the judge will say pay this amount and if you can’t the cattle is sold. And if there is any benefit, you are given and people were behaving themselves and in the grazing areas, they built dams, put windmills in some places there were even veterinary departments so that the herders are limited. Their route is known, their grazing area is known.

“But I am telling you, this rushing to the centre (sic) so I asked for the gazette to make sure that those who encroached on these cattle routes and grazing areas will be dispossessed in law and try to bring some order back into the cattle grazing.”

He also lamented the style and utterances of Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom, who had not only implemented an aggressive anti-open grazing law but had accused Buhari of failing to take actions against herdsmen because he is also a member of the Fulani herders.

Buhari said indeed, he is a Fulani man but Ortom was being unfair to him. He said he had told Ortom that the herdsmen perpetrating the attacks are not the Nigerian ones.

The President further explained that the Tivs, which form the majority in Benue, and the Fulanis had been engaged in cultural conflicts for a long time.

He added, “The problem is trying to understand the culture of the cattle rearers. There is a cultural difference between the Tivs and the Fulanis. So, the governor of Benue said I am not disciplining the cattle rearers because I am one of them.

“I cannot say I am not one of them but he is being very unfair to me and I told him that the Nigerian cattle rearer was not carrying anything more than a stick sometime with a machete to cut some trees and feed his cattle but those sophisticated ones move with AK 47.

“So, from other areas, people rush to Nigeria you know and Fulanis from Mauritania and Central Africa look the same so they feel they are the Nigerian ones and I assure you that we are trying to resuscitate these cattle routes, grazing areas and make them accountable.”

https://punchng.com/buhari-backs-open-grazing-asks-agf-to-recover-land-for-herdsmen/

Lalasticlala
Re: Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by PrinceOfLagos: 1:44pm On Jun 10, 2021
This man is calling for war

And war they will get .

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by Bola146(f): 1:44pm On Jun 10, 2021
cry Hummm...
Re: Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by Siwisheswereesh: 1:45pm On Jun 10, 2021
For real

Explaining further, he said, “What I did was ask him to go and dig the gazette of the 1st Republic when people were obeying laws. There were cattle routes and grazing areas. Cattle routes were for when they (herdsmen) are moving up country, north to south or east to west, they had to go through there.

Is Buhari a looonatic

How can you be referring to a 1st republic gazette when we are a running on the 1999 constitution in the current 4th republic

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by rottennaija(m): 1:45pm On Jun 10, 2021
This is bad and poor. We should be moving forward not backwards. This is 2021, open grazing should not be the practice anymore. He should not be supporting open grazing.

6 Likes

Re: Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by Obamaofusa: 1:47pm On Jun 10, 2021
No.Open grazing in the South is permanently banned.There is no going back.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by goatandyam: 1:48pm On Jun 10, 2021
Cattle routes again? This terrorist bastard president no go hear word.

What the ffucck is this animal for God's sake?

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by IJOBA11: 1:50pm On Jun 10, 2021
HE IS A MAD MAN

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by IJOBA11: 1:52pm On Jun 10, 2021
Obamaofusa:
No.Open grazing in the South is permanently banned.There is no going back.
MAKE WE HEAR FROM YOUR VAUGHANLANREWAJ SEUNMSG THATFAIRGUY1 LEGENDHERO ONIONBANDIT OJIOFOR MEKABOY OKOROAWUSA AND JULIUSMALEMA FIRST

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by Goke7: 1:52pm On Jun 10, 2021
Mr President, who created the cattle routes?
Re: Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by KAHBOOM: 1:57pm On Jun 10, 2021
They can graze in the west and Niger delta but they shouldn't dare cross the east.

Crazy old man

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by Ojiofor: 1:57pm On Jun 10, 2021
IJOBA11:
MAKE WE HEAR FROM YOUR VAUGHANLANREWAJ SEUNMSG THATFAIRGUY1 LEGENDHERO ONIONBANDIT OJIOFOR MEKABOY OKOROAWUSA AND JULIUSMALEMA FIRST

One name is missing it seems she have dealt with you squarley grin.
I will soon deal with you too.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by LibertyRep: 1:58pm On Jun 10, 2021
If there's anything that threatens the cooperate existence of Nigeria at this moment, it's open grazing.

One would have expected a president suspends a mere app for allegedly being used by agent of destabilisation to support the Southern Governors in banning the open grazing practice.

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by Mysticwebb: 1:58pm On Jun 10, 2021
Taking people's land has been the main target of this government. To collect our land and hand it over to the Fulanis is the only thing that matters to Buhari.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by Tinubuadvocate: 2:00pm On Jun 10, 2021
That's not going to be possible I can't give my land to herdsmen.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by InaNla(f): 2:01pm On Jun 10, 2021
We are waiting for you, Patami & Gunmi to come claim our land in Abeokuta.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by slivertongue: 2:02pm On Jun 10, 2021
dead on arrival. take us back to first republic not to borrow the laws but also borrow their vision and fairness

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by Nobody: 2:03pm On Jun 10, 2021
Buhari just indirectly declared war on the south......... because all I know is that not one single inch of yoruba land or my state Oyo will go to any cattle herder.....the baboon and dog will finally bath in their blood.

You want to pick parts of the old that suit you but don't want to go back the 1963 constitution........ buhari just put a death warrant on the heads of his brothers but doesn't even realize it. By Allah these herdsmen will meet their end.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by Kdon2: 2:04pm On Jun 10, 2021
goatandyam:
Cattle routes again? This terrorist bastard president no go hear word.

What the ffucck is this animal for God's sake?

He get hearing problem na. grin
Re: Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by TOPCRUISE(m): 2:05pm On Jun 10, 2021
They have swore for this man. With everything he said he should have concluded by approving State police since it is now clear to him that there is an invasion by the Fulani men
that are from other countries. He did not even blame security operatives for being handicapped in dealing with the fulanis that he said are not from Nigeria. That means he is in tacit support for them

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by Agbegbaorogboye: 2:10pm On Jun 10, 2021
2mercy:

https://punchng.com/buhari-backs-open-grazing-asks-agf-to-recover-land-for-herdsmen/

Lalasticlala

Someone should pls whisper to the man in his working ear. "Not an inch of land will be ceded for grazing in the South"~ In Akeredolu's voice.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by Onepeople: 2:18pm On Jun 10, 2021
This man and those supporting him will soon get what they are looking for, every region cannot be like the so called Niger delta people, who are ready to stay wherever they are pushed to.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by PrinceOfLagos: 2:21pm On Jun 10, 2021
Tinubuadvocate:
Your wailing has just started.

Shebi you've been going about this forum asslicking this useless man because of the crumbs he throws at you at the end of the month

His brothers from funta Jalon will be the new owners of the lands your great grand parents left for you and your other siblings .

Wait for it .

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by Grace001: 2:35pm On Jun 10, 2021
Mmmmm
Re: Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by Grace001: 2:37pm On Jun 10, 2021
Tinubuadvocate:

See who is talking ? They will collect your land, father’s land and even your great grand father’s land.

Nothing will happen. Fulani and yoruba are one according to your lord Tinubu.

So avoid trying to be stubborn or else na die go end am

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by kponkedenge(m): 2:37pm On Jun 10, 2021
Why is this man so hell bent on giving people's ancestral lands to foreigners for grazing..... What's wrong with this man?
What value does grazing add to the Nigerian economy?

1 Like

Re: Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by sagitariusbaby(m): 2:38pm On Jun 10, 2021
This man is actually saying that we should surrender our lands to foreigners to they can breed their cattle or else get ready for war.

Na wao! Which keke carry us reach here?

1 Like

Re: Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by Jostoman: 2:43pm On Jun 10, 2021
Tinubuadvocate:
oga let's know where you belong o because you are confusing thunder.
Re: Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by Fweshest3: 2:59pm On Jun 10, 2021
Are u guys sure Malami is not the defacto president controlling things in aso rock on behalf of the late Buhari? What sort of idiocrazy is This?Smh! Ndi one Nigeria, see una life oo

1 Like

Re: Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jun 10, 2021
Fweshest3:
Are u guys sure Malami is not the defacto president controlling things in aso rock on behalf of the late Buhari? What sort of idiocrazy is This?Smh! Ndi one Nigeria, see una life oo

Malami took over from the guy that died of covid

1 Like

Re: Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jun 10, 2021
Tinubuadvocate:

It's good that you're gradually seeing the light......cus even tinubu has spoken against open grazing. You have the right to support tinubu especially if you're yoruba, but supporting buhari is outright foolishness. There's nothing like party politics in nigeria......All politics is tribal.
Re: Buhari Backs Open Grazing, Asks AGF To Recover Land For Herdsmen by DiagnoPolitics: 3:06pm On Jun 10, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:
This man is calling for war

Because he confidently believes that f00lani terrorists will win the next war. May the devil that leads him continue to guide him into the certain annihilation of his f00lani race. grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Taiwan's Deaths From Covid-19 Vaccines Exceeds Deaths From Covid-19 / Simon Ekpa Threatens To Extend Sit-At-Home Protest To Rivers State / Are There More People In The North Than In The South?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.