Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,987 members, 7,828,493 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:36 AM

Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? (20466 Views)

10 Professions In Nigeria You Can Still Practice Without Studying them / Requirement Needed For Studying Nursing @ USA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by snow123: 12:21am On Dec 20, 2009
kech:

grin Funny enough, when I was coming to the states to do my masters in Engineering, there was this girl that was SERIOUSLY trying to get me to change to nursing on the plane. She went on and on and on, When I arrived some of my relatives tried to "advice me" to change. I was like "see me see trouble oh! what has engineering got to do with nursing bikonu? Why did I fly all the way across the atlantic then?" They were like "Nooo, noo, what we're saying is that u can make real money quickly with nursing and its easy to find a job". And I said "Are u saying I cant get a job in engineering and get paid good money" They were like "Do u think its easy? Competition bla bla bla" Anyway to cut the long story short, I have a GOOD job in engineering paying me VERY GOOD money shocked shocked shocked shocked, Nursing is cool. I like it. Its just not for me. Its for those that have the passion to save lives OR those that want quick money OR more importantly for those that don't really have plans of returning to Naija to work in the near future. I do have plans of returning and I can't do anything back home with a nursing degree unfortunately. I'm not going to go thru the hassle over here only to go home and become an eliza nurse wearing white cap angry angry angry or worse, not even practice the nursing wey I read. Whats the use then?

Yes people have different destine in life.But i have seen some people with masters in engineering and they are now doing nursing .So it is too early to say that you have not made a mistake by not doing nursing.
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by slimes(m): 1:34pm On Dec 21, 2009
If you're in Rome, do like the Romans. Go with the trend

1 Like

Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by chiogo(f): 12:30am On Dec 27, 2009
I no dey do Nursing. Everybody cannot be a Nurse just because it's easier to get a job. tongue
Only in America have I ever seen a male Nurse. It's not that funny now though. grin

Medicine all the way. tongue
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by hermosa(f): 1:25pm On Dec 27, 2009
There is this funny stereotype going on that "all africans are Nurses" even bankers in Nigeria are into Nursing abroad, men sef are into Nursing, Almost every african chick you find, ask her what's she majoring in and she say Nursing, what's up with that? What if to make a living in yankee, you had to be a policeman, are you telling me that everyone would go into becoming a cops all in the name of survival for yankee

cos it free, the govt pays for you and you learn, in english. if i thot it was possible, i'd do it, but instead stupid me thot studyin chinese was way more challengin and cooler , i'm so bleeped
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by askshukrah: 7:11am On Nov 07, 2013
Lol!!! I studied chemistry in nija I'm in the state now and seriously I am about to find my career in nursing too. Medicine was my dream but seriously nursing na short court in America. In any case we all save life, earn cool cash and the prestige is still there.......!!!!! So major essence of living have been met.....waitin come remain?
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by santa007(m): 9:12pm On Dec 05, 2013
Hi everyone, My friend (a Nigerian) studied bsc nursing in ghana and want to get a masters degree in nursing or any medical related field and also work in the U.S. can any suggest any course that will be useful to her there? does she has to be a rn in ghana where she studied or in Nigeria before she can get admitted for masters there?

NB: those residing and in the nursing field in U.S wld be of great help. Thanks
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by askshukrah: 6:35am On Dec 06, 2013
@santos, all she need is for the US international exam body to evaluate her degree after which she can apply to any school of her choice for admission . Course of study depends on his/her choice! Follow this trend from the begining and you'l understand what I meant by the evaluation of her degree. Hope you find this helpful
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by santa007(m): 9:42pm On Dec 06, 2013
askshukrah: @santos, all she need is for the US international exam body to evaluate her degree after which she can apwhichevery school of her choice for admission . Course of study depends on his/her choice! Follow this trend from the begining and you'l understand what I meant by the evaluation of her degree. Hope you find this helpful

Thanks askshukrah
She has sent her transcript to WES already but noticed one of the requirements in all the schools is that she has to be licenced or rn (whichever its called) . She has applied to Nigerian nursing council but wouldnt want to wait another year for that.
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by momexcellency: 6:26pm On Dec 07, 2013
Helo, please my cousing wants to go for nursing in America, but please does anyone know the salary of a working Registered nurse in America. Your contribution is appreciated. Thanx.
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by dady2011(m): 5:40am On Jan 08, 2014
@ OP. Some people (especially women) tends to gravitate towards Nursing primarily because of the following:
> it is relatively easier to find a Job with less competition as a black person;
> Love taking care of the sick/love nursing as a profession (majority in this group are most likely trained nurses in Nigeria before coming to America)
> Some abandon their original occupation and switch to nursing because they are unable to overcome the road block and challenges required to get back to their original field of specialization (most men in nursing fall into this group - Unable to find employment in their primary occupation due to inadequate soft/hard skills, and knowledge of their chosen occupation required to get hired)

Generally, nursing is not only a good paying job, it is also a very stressful and dirty job that many Africans/black women default to in order to pay the bills and survive.

In today North America, anyone going into Engineering, and Medical/Health related occupation will certainly find a good paying job, unless the individual can not defend his/her degree/certificate or lack the desire experience/skill required to do the job.
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by nadialogy007(f): 9:18pm On Jan 16
hotangel2:
Hunnie.... i really really wish i had any other answer apart from this one im about to give.

Nursing is MONEY!.

Seriously, most nurses are doing it for the money, and america needs more nurses... There are few americans going into nursing.. they really cant take the heat in the nursing school/department. So yeah.. we africans are the sposed to be 'smart' ones that go into it. Most people say they are doing it because it's their passion, but the truth all ends up in the MONEY aspect.

Anyways.. Yeah.. im doing nusring too, and all the girls i know in my school (abt 35 girls and more)... are also doing nursing. Those that aren't doing nursing are pharmacists or doctors.

What can i say?? Im doing nursing because.. i really dunno. I like nursing.. i love people.. i feel happy when i help people and hunny... I LOVE MONEY!

You're right on the nose! My mom works as a nurse, and most, if not all, of her friends from high school work as nurses.

I remember going to my grandpa's house for Christmas, and he and our cousins, aunts, uncles, and other family members came together for dinner. At one point, he asked all the juniors and seniors to talk about our plans for college in front of everyone (i.e., majors, where we want to attend and why, etc.). I kid you not: I was the only person who did not want to work in the medical industry. I instead wanted to earn a degree in Theatre Arts and potentially work as an actress since I grew up watching musical theatre online and participated in a bunch of drama clubs since 4th grade, and I absolutely loved it. Of course, I got hit with a lot of backlash from my elder relatives, and they kept asking me how it would "help my future" or "how much wages I'll make" and yadda, yadda, bleh.

To be honest, I could care less about how much money I'll make because I plan on doing some side jobs and maybe taking a work-study job to support myself financially.

TL;DR: Wasn't interested in becoming a nurse, wanted to be an actress instead. Relatives didn't like it because you don't make a lot of money out of it compared to nursing.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Should I Bet On Myself?; I Need Your Advice. / Advice Me, I’m A Graduate, I’m Considering Learning An Handiwork / Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.