Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,959 members, 7,828,394 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:08 AM

Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? (20465 Views)

10 Professions In Nigeria You Can Still Practice Without Studying them / Requirement Needed For Studying Nursing @ USA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by vikki(f): 12:48am On Feb 12, 2006
Hahah thats funny... grin
Well my mom majored in Psychotherapy and my dad in Petroleum Engineering when they came over here... I'm a Business Admin major.
Breakin dat sterotype!
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by nellygurl(f): 2:12am On Feb 12, 2006
lol i also want to be a nurse i cant wait to start university and train to be a nurse then i might go to the states or stay in canada which ever has more money
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by seeni4ever(m): 2:56am On Feb 12, 2006
can someone tell me how much they get paid an hour. i know many nigerian that are nurses and they always complain. when i first came to the state, people are telling me to study nursing but i refused because i hate anything related to medical stuff. i am studying computer information management now and i am working at pepsi distribution center. no nurse (except the one that goes to four year college) can tell me that he/she is getting paid more than i do. right now i am still using my high school diploma to work. so look at what the different will be when i finish college(2 year),
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by hotangel2(f): 3:02am On Feb 12, 2006
Of course you wont get paid right if you don't have the required papers. Like going to college for two years? Wtf?? cheesy.

After you become an RN(registered nurse), you can go further to get a BSN, then you'll get paid real good. Just get to the top of nursing!

You'll get like $35 per hour. smiley
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by seeni4ever(m): 3:12am On Feb 12, 2006
but majority of nigerians here doesnt go to 4 year college. which means they get paid between $12-$18. am i right?
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by disney(f): 2:39pm On Feb 12, 2006
Its the LPN that gets $ 18.oo an hour and not to talk of the CNA those that wash people's yansh, lol, they get paid $7.00 to $12.00 an hour.

An RN gets paid $25 .oo an hour

A BSN Nurse get paid $35.00 and above depending on ur level of experience.

So those are the levels in nursing and their pay rise but its so sad that many AFrico's implying Africans settle for teh LPN and CNA just to get a living. sad angry
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by Free(f): 12:28am On Feb 13, 2006
pharmacy is in the business toooo

is either nursin or pharmacy 4 da african over herrrr
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by chrisd(m): 5:20pm On Feb 15, 2006
Because they are too dumb to become doctors grin
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by Eastcoast(f): 5:35pm On Feb 15, 2006
WHat angry angry angry
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by chrisd(m): 6:39pm On Feb 15, 2006
Yep, it's true
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by Outkast(f): 6:40pm On Feb 15, 2006
you don't take everyone seriously eastcoast
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by virozuru(f): 4:43pm On Feb 17, 2006
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by chrisd(m): 4:48pm On Feb 17, 2006
Was just a bit of humour on my part. cheesy cheesy cheesy wink
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by Outkast(f): 4:51pm On Feb 17, 2006
not very funny dear
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by chrisd(m): 5:11pm On Feb 17, 2006
I know you got offended. It's not my problem though.
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by Outkast(f): 5:12pm On Feb 17, 2006
if it's not your problem then don't reply me or comment
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by chrisd(m): 5:21pm On Feb 17, 2006
You a nurse too? grin
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by Rhodalyn(f): 8:56pm On Feb 22, 2006
nursing in america is very good
u get paid very well
dats why
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by Rhodalyn(f): 3:34pm On Mar 02, 2006
chrisd:

Because they are too dumb to become doctors grin
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
chrisd:

You a nurse too? grin
stop bothering outkast
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by chinani(f): 9:57pm On Mar 04, 2006
lots of NAIJAS go into medicine & engineering b/c of their parents encouragement (and threats). most (99.5%) were raised to believe that being an M.D. or engineer is the only way they can secure their future. believe me, i know HUNDREDS who from 5-15 swear they're gonna be an M.D. so DONT HATE! ppl are jsut trying to do their best

and nurses DONT NECESSARILY get PAID. theyre overworked (there's a nursing shortage etc) and some are underpaid for what theyre worth.
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by Dewalex(m): 3:57am On Mar 10, 2006
Well, I agreed with you guyss that people are into Nursing because of the pay. An average African  need money and kudos to the RN, etc They work for it and they deserve the pay how i wish they can go back home and our Government give them the respect they deserve
Am currently on Holiday in the US a friend of mine who is a chartered accountant in Nigeria is a RN and people always respect him.
So give them a credit and shame on the so called Politicians that turn our talented professionals to something else.
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by Ndipe(m): 9:13am On May 03, 2007
Chinani, maybe, nurses are underpaid in Houston, but in California, they were well compensated. LVN's usually average a little over 20 dollars, excluding overtime, while RN's can command upto fifty dollars an hour. Infact, there is a girl who told me that there is a hospital in the East Bay of California who is recruiting RN's, with a starting salary of 50 dollars an hour. I dont blame people who delve into nursing when they arrive here. You have to survive, and the course requirements for an LVN is less than 3 years.

1 Like

Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:04am On Sep 12, 2007
If you can tell me why everyone in Nigeria is reading "Business Admin" then I'll answer your question.
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by maryray(f): 7:51pm On Feb 09, 2008
@@@@@@ Wills, Hello. U said u want to help ur girl. Well America might be good, but schools there are too expensive. Canada might be good, but the tax we pay in this country is too much. Added to the fact that she is international. I heard University of Manitoba is relatively cheap, not sure how much, also heard university of Lethbridge is like $6 k for fees, ie comparing to others who pay between 10 and 17k.

Conversely, while i dont know much about this stuff, a lot of people are going to sweden, norway, and other scandinavian countries, becos SCHOOL IS FREE. All u need to worry about is convincing d embassy that u can take care of urself, and probably show a little money. If it works out for u, tell me becos i am thinking of leaving canada to maybe sweden, holland or norway. My friends friend is in Finland, and his tuition is of course free, but according to him, through her, the only problem in finland is that u have to learn their language. Good luck sha. If u need more info,(dont need info too many times abeg, cos b/w my cousin in malaysia who wants to come here, and my work and mid term exam in school this week, I aint got too much time) u can reach me at LadyYesu_beauty@yahoo.com.au. Good luck.
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by Ndipe(m): 6:51am On Jun 05, 2008
there is money to be made in nursing and the length of study even for the CNA classes can be over in at least six gruelling weeks. I understand their pay ranges from 15-18. Now, if you are an LPN, you can command upto 25 dollars upwards. In California, there are some people who work 3 and 4 days on a twelve hour shift. And then, the remaining days, put their services 'on call'. Now, when you are 'on call', you get paid double (I think throughout that week) even if your services are not needed that week.

One of the local papers in my area featured an RN who makes about 60 dollars an hour. Has a big house in Nevada, but commutes out here, because of the pay. She expressed her desire to work here because of the double pay she accumulates from being 'on call' which is 120 dollars an hour. In her residential city in Nevada, "on call nurses" dont get paid double.

So, that should explain why some Africans get into nursing. Another beauty of it is the relative job security in the field.
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by Morenisexy(f): 9:46pm On Jul 03, 2008
Not all Africans. . none of the family members in my generation are studying nursing. .going for sth higher. .
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by TOH(f): 9:53pm On Jul 03, 2008
Everyone in the states is a nurse same way everyone in Nigeria is in "business admin"
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by kech(f): 1:27am On Jul 04, 2008
grin Funny enough, when I was coming to the states to do my masters in Engineering, there was this girl that was SERIOUSLY trying to get me to change to nursing on the plane. She went on and on and on, When I arrived some of my relatives tried to "advice me" to change. I was like "see me see trouble oh! what has engineering got to do with nursing bikonu? Why did I fly all the way across the atlantic then?" They were like "Nooo, noo, what we're saying is that u can make real money quickly with nursing and its easy to find a job". And I said "Are u saying I cant get a job in engineering and get paid good money" They were like "Do u think its easy? Competition bla bla bla" Anyway to cut the long story short, I have a GOOD job in engineering paying me VERY GOOD money shocked shocked shocked shocked, Nursing is cool. I like it. Its just not for me. Its for those that have the passion to save lives OR those that want quick money OR more importantly for those that don't really have plans of returning to Naija to work in the near future. I do have plans of returning and I can't do anything back home with a nursing degree unfortunately. I'm not going to go thru the hassle over here only to go home and become an eliza nurse wearing white cap angry angry angry or worse, not even practice the nursing wey I read. Whats the use then?

1 Like

Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by kech(f): 1:30am On Jul 04, 2008
Meanwhile, if everybody become nurse who go be patient grin grin
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by davidif: 8:37am On Jul 17, 2008
I thought all male Nigerians study Engineering!
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by davidif: 8:43am On Jul 17, 2008
the reason why nurses are well paid in California is the relative high cost of living.
Re: Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? by faze1: 2:17am On Nov 03, 2009
Oh well, I was majoring in nursing (LVN/LPN) until I was thrown out of nursing school in my last semester for failing grades in one of the classes. I am so scared of waiting till next year to start applying to other nursing programs afresh and waiting for admission letter. Then, studying the same things over and repeating the same classes at my school or another school. Does anyone know of any online correspondence LPN school or even any school at all that can help me finish my last semester and write the nursing board licensure exam, PLEASE??

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. / Should I Bet On Myself?; I Need Your Advice. / Advice Me, I’m A Graduate, I’m Considering Learning An Handiwork

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.