Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,616 members, 7,820,184 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:03 AM

Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? (17032 Views)

Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe / How I Lost A Potential Job Because Of My Denomination / Have You Ever Lost A Job Or An Opportunity Because Of Your Personality?. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by Robertkenny(m): 3:07am On Jun 15, 2021
Okoye Vincent

Recently i got an interview in one of the leading IT Company. It is CMMI level company so i thought to try. I gave written test and technical round of interview, then again technical round with manager and he put me on hold.
After i asked the reason to HR, she told me manager put you on hold. Again after 3 months i got a call that now you have to give final round of interview.
I went there for another technical round and got selected. This time my appraisal is due in current company which is on next month so i can’t accept first offer which is 15% raise.
I have 50k salary so it’s obvious I will get 15% in current company so i asked for 30% raise and she offered me 54k on hand. My current on hand is around 45k so i told her that i won’t join at these much less and if she wants to renegotiate, i am open for that. She after offered me 55k. I was like shocked that is this called negotiation. She is asking me for 1k more. Am i at grocery store or what? I said no.
She said she is chasing me from few days to convince me but now she won’t. So i said, if your offer is convincing, no need to chase anyone. What does it make sense to give someone 1k more? She said, if you want to join at the offer, call me or reply me.
I never replied and called.

Thank you Bogger for sharing my story.

Like to share your job negotiation offer?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by BigDawsNet: 6:30am On Jun 15, 2021
Robertkenny:
Okoye Vincent

Recently i got an interview in one of the leading IT Company. It is CMMI level company so i thought to try. I gave written test and technical round of interview, then again technical round with manager and he put me on hold.
After i asked the reason to HR, she told me manager put you on hold. Again after 3 months i got a call that now you have to give final round of interview.
I went there for another technical round and got selected. This time my appraisal is due in current company which is on next month so i can’t accept first offer which is 15% raise.
I have 50k salary so it’s obvious I will get 15% in current company so i asked for 30% raise and she offered me 54k on hand. My current on hand is around 45k so i told her that i won’t join at these much less and if she wants to renegotiate, i am open for that. She after offered me 55k. I was like shocked that is this called negotiation. She is asking me for 1k more. Am i at grocery store or what? I said no.
She said she is chasing me from few days to convince me but now she won’t. So i said, if your offer is convincing, no need to chase anyone. What does it make sense to give someone 1k more? She said, if you want to join at the offer, call me or reply me.

Yes as an IT expert

I was offered 30% of what I normally deserved

I left because I can't agree and sign that

5 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by talk2hb1(m): 7:11am On Jun 15, 2021
Robertkenny:
Okoye Vincent

I didn't lost their job, they actually lost what experience I am bringing to the table.
I am a software developer, employers never stopped knocking on our doors, but must we jump aboard every organization grin

I remember payqart recruiter interviewing me, he said they can only pay 350k, I told him 500k for the role I am applying for. I am making 250k working part time as a consultant, tell me why I will want to be coming to work everyday sitting in Lagos traffic, and also investing in clothing for just 100k. He said they will get back at me, which they never did.
Know your onions and you will never been for job/work again

124 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by AAbuja: 7:43am On Jun 15, 2021
You can't lose a job because of that. The coy just purposely didn't want to recruit you.
They can tell you what they'll like to pay you if they really wanted you

7 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by Orire01(m): 8:51am On Jun 15, 2021
Just say they coy can't afford you.

I still sell affordable laptops with free delivery and pay on delivery.
Details on my signature
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by lordparcel: 9:28am On Jun 16, 2021
No just your favorite Bomber cool

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by blazepascal(m): 9:28am On Jun 16, 2021
It normally happen
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by Seniorwriter(m): 9:29am On Jun 16, 2021
Robertkenny:
Okoye Vincent

Lolz
To hell with offline jobs but as per how I operate and mentor prodigies as regards ONLINE JOBS negotiation power the best way to get an impressive pay is to have a fee benchmark alongside your work testimonials in your portfolio.
That way anyone approaching you is preview to your charges and won't bore you for negotiations or you can outrightly turn down or refer those that can't afford your fee charge.

In another news if you an entrepreneur or have a venture you need to activate and boost your product or services online my sales boost locomotive that will guarantee you of @least 100 active clients in 50days goes for $100. For more details or deal reach out via the facebook ID on my profile.

@Seniorwriter

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by fergie001: 9:29am On Jun 16, 2021
Ya.....no regrets.
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by Emeskhalifa(m): 9:30am On Jun 16, 2021
grin
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by gbolswag(m): 9:31am On Jun 16, 2021
Its not just a job sef....I was broke at one point...so I called my friend to borrow me 100k....he said he has just 20k to borrow me or even dash me....he brought it to my house cash I told him to put something on top....then he collected his money back and left..so sad

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by Obas101(m): 9:32am On Jun 16, 2021
talk2hb1:

I didn't lost their job, they actually lost what experience I am bringing to the table.
I am a software developer, employers never stopped knocking on our doors, but must we jump aboard every organization grin

I remember payqart recruiter interviewing me, he said they can only pay 350k, I told him 500k for the role I am applying for. I am making 250k working part time as a consultant, tell me why I will want to be coming to work everyday sitting in Lagos traffic, and also investing in clothing for just 100k. He said they will get back at me, which they never did.
Please can I get your number... Will like to connect with you. I keyed into tech not long ago but I got my first job recently... I will like to get some tips on growth in this space

4 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by coalcoal1(m): 9:32am On Jun 16, 2021
G
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by homealone00: 9:33am On Jun 16, 2021
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by careytommy37(m): 9:33am On Jun 16, 2021
Which type IT job be 55k?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by tojahh(m): 9:33am On Jun 16, 2021
Yes

I negotiated because I know I bring more that what was offered.

They renegotiated and it was still not up to desired. I told them I couldn't sign the deal. 2 years later they contacted if I am still interested for proposed amount. I told them no, as I just added another certification to what I had.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by Hezmatosky: 9:34am On Jun 16, 2021
Nor be when you see one cry

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by babyfaceafrica: 9:34am On Jun 16, 2021
Lolz.. While it is good to haggle for the best deal, don't overdo it especially if you don't have a back up plan

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by Livesimple: 9:35am On Jun 16, 2021
angry
gbolswag:
Its not just a job sef....I was broke at one point...so I called my friend to borrow me 100k....he said he has just 20k to borrow me or even dash me....he brought it to my house cash I told him to put something on top....then he collected his money back and left..so sad

grin grin grin grin grin grin

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by mokoh(m): 9:36am On Jun 16, 2021
talk2hb1:

I will love to be a software developer pls what process should I follow
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by Goalnaldo(m): 9:40am On Jun 16, 2021
gbolswag:
You bleeped up Sha. For your friend to bring the money to your house sef shows he's a good fellow. He knew the principle of lending. He was willing to Lend an amount he can afford to forfeit.

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by BTGbenga: 9:40am On Jun 16, 2021
Just the best platform to provide the best work opportunity for everyone.
You can display(FREE) your skills profile for people to request your service, or you can display(FREE) any work/task you needed done.
It operates like fiverr or up work.
This is better because:
It operate in Naira.
Its operate on bidding system.
Its protect both GIG Seeker and Giver with escrow system.
Its also support offline works/tasks at locations.
It gives daily login bonus that can be converted to cash overtime.
It has a DIY training of empowerment skills, e.t.c
Mobile friendly.

Perfect for anyone to get engaged and earn wages online/offline within Nigeria.

w ww. worksmi. com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by GalaticHorde: 9:41am On Jun 16, 2021
Yes and I won't call it a loss, I was only considering it then because the employer and I had a mutual friend. Truth is you are worth what you say you're worth and unless you demand it you won't get it. Besides working for yourself should be everybody's aim

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by GalaticHorde: 9:43am On Jun 16, 2021
gbolswag:
you be clown wallahi! grin cheesy

9 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by Tookool(m): 9:44am On Jun 16, 2021
Yeah and I don’t regret it
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by PSVITA(m): 9:46am On Jun 16, 2021
Orire01:
Just say they coy can't afford you.

Hello, I need a laptop of 80k-100k range

Send Pic to my WhatsApp line in my signature

I still sell affordable laptops with free delivery and pay on delivery.
Details on my signature
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by fatymore(f): 9:47am On Jun 16, 2021
Who is looking for a job?

Please check below

Even me dey find job, let's search for it together

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Job Interveiw From Zis / Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience / Vacancies @ Federal Department Of Rural Development (FDRD) - Jan. 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.