Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,749 members, 7,824,156 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:02 AM

Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? (17041 Views)

Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe / How I Lost A Potential Job Because Of My Denomination / Have You Ever Lost A Job Or An Opportunity Because Of Your Personality?. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by LandMann: 11:46am On Jun 16, 2021
N2B2:

Ride on, brother. I second this.

I returned to the country in 2016 with high hopes after completing my Bsc abroad.

In 2017, I was jobless and broke.

In 2018, I was shuttling to Lekki from Amuwo everyday for a 45k salary.

In 2019, I worked close to home as an English teacher for 25k/month.

In 2020, I picked up a pen and an empty sheet of A4 paper with determination.

Last month, I earned $256.78 more than the current June earnings you posted, from freelancing, and there's much more room for growth.

Online jobs aren't the future. They're here now. I feel for the younglings currently in universities hoping to blow in oversaturated and unpaid industries like Accounting, Law, etc.

Congratulations sir... Please keep spreading the message so that our youths will hear instead of engaging in fraud for survival. Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by bet9ja(m): 11:51am On Jun 16, 2021
hybridblood07:
You could have accepted the 350k to pass time and look for a better offer elsewhere. Additional 100k will solve some kind of issues. My own opinion sha. Thanks
N350k does not worth the daily stress to work. I can not move an inch if my salary expectations is not above 600K (excluding tax ) monthly as a Software Engr. I will rather take a position as a consultant for 200k and work from home.

9 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by agabusta: 12:09pm On Jun 16, 2021
careytommy37:
Which type IT job be 55k?

Hope you are aware naira was not put in front of it?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by agabusta: 12:12pm On Jun 16, 2021
Plomo:

Same thing on my mind.

That’s the kind of company that the boss will call you to abuse you on Sunday because of a spill over

It may be in Dollars, Euros or pounds
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by hybridblood07(m): 12:26pm On Jun 16, 2021
Best reasons known to you sir.
bet9ja:
N350k does not worth the daily stress to work. I can not move an each if my salary expectations is not above 600K (excluding tax ) monthly as a Software Engr. I will rather take a position as a consultant for 200k and work from home.
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by DareyFortified: 12:32pm On Jun 16, 2021
N2B2:

I returned to the country in 2016 with high hopes after completing my Bsc abroad.

Last month, I earned $256.78 more than the current June earnings you posted, from freelancing, and there's much more room for growth.

Online jobs aren't the future. They're here now. I feel for the younglings currently in universities hoping to blow in oversaturated and unpaid industries like Accounting, Law, etc.

What I still don't understand is how are you people doing it. I've creative/graphic designer and my works are amazing. But can't seem to find the right client or customer. Yes I do work with some little brands in Nigeria... But the way you people call dollars is so amusing. What are you guys doing? How are you doing it? Is there anyway out?

4 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by odeyinugbolahan(m): 12:41pm On Jun 16, 2021
Yes... I had a virtual interview last year during covid 19 lockdown with an outsource coy recruiting for a telecom coy. They needed an experienced Front Office Engineer meanwhile am a Back Office Engr in my current coy.

After the first stage of the interview, they ask me to make myself available for a level 1 Back Office Engineer interview and after I passed again I was scheduled for a level 2 Transmission Engineer including datacom interview. After all the stress when I named my price, I was asked to send my 3months previous pay slips and they never get back to me after that.

I believe they couldn't afford to pay that amount as some employers will wanna pay you an entry level salary and assign a professional task to you

Slavery in disguise

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by odeyinugbolahan(m): 12:50pm On Jun 16, 2021
So disgusting...

Just 1k!!

is that for your data/airtime?

Robertkenny:
Okoye Vincent

Recently i got an interview in one of the leading IT Company. It is CMMI level company so i thought to try. I gave written test and technical round of interview, then again technical round with manager and he put me on hold.
After i asked the reason to HR, she told me manager put you on hold. Again after 3 months i got a call that now you have to give final round of interview.
I went there for another technical round and got selected. This time my appraisal is due in current company which is on next month so i can’t accept first offer which is 15% raise.
I have 50k salary so it’s obvious I will get 15% in current company so i asked for 30% raise and she offered me 54k on hand. My current on hand is around 45k so i told her that i won’t join at these much less and if she wants to renegotiate, i am open for that. She after offered me 55k. I was like shocked that is this called negotiation. She is asking me for 1k more. Am i at grocery store or what? I said no.
She said she is chasing me from few days to convince me but now she won’t. So i said, if your offer is convincing, no need to chase anyone. What does it make sense to give someone 1k more? She said, if you want to join at the offer, call me or reply me.
I never replied and called.

Thank you Bogger for sharing my story.

Like to share your job negotiation offer?
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by Gokoyer0(m): 12:58pm On Jun 16, 2021
Na wa o shocked. You undergone all these serial interviews because of 50k naira job. Hope you will get something better soon.
Robertkenny:
Okoye Vincent

Recently i got an interview in one of the leading IT Company. It is CMMI level company so i thought to try. I gave written test and technical round of interview, then again technical round with manager and he put me on hold.
After i asked the reason to HR, she told me manager put you on hold. Again after 3 months i got a call that now you have to give final round of interview.
I went there for another technical round and got selected. This time my appraisal is due in current company which is on next month so i can’t accept first offer which is 15% raise.
I have 50k salary so it’s obvious I will get 15% in current company so i asked for 30% raise and she offered me 54k on hand. My current on hand is around 45k so i told her that i won’t join at these much less and if she wants to renegotiate, i am open for that. She after offered me 55k. I was like shocked that is this called negotiation. She is asking me for 1k more. Am i at grocery store or what? I said no.
She said she is chasing me from few days to convince me but now she won’t. So i said, if your offer is convincing, no need to chase anyone. What does it make sense to give someone 1k more? She said, if you want to join at the offer, call me or reply me.

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by viqSmallz(m): 1:02pm On Jun 16, 2021
I have lost an opportunity because I negotiated too low. Just fresh outta NYSC, got an interview with a not so Multi-multi as an accountant.
Impressed my caucasian interviewer, solved bank reconciliation for them ...lol. then came the time for money - fresh out of collecting 19,800, I requested for 50K(big money to me then). Man looked at me like WTF You are too young for the role chap, I will refer your for internship. grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by Etinosa1234: 1:09pm On Jun 16, 2021
Obas101:

Please can I get your number... Will like to connect with you. I keyed into tech not long ago but I got my first job recently... I will like to get some tips on growth in this space

Bro what's ur niche..

I'm also looking for my first job
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by bet9ja(m): 1:16pm On Jun 16, 2021
hybridblood07:
Best reasons known to you sir.

Do the maths, you earn 350K monthly from a 8 to 5 job. Including the stress that comes with it, and your chances of earning extra income freelancing is very slim because you will be exhausted after work.

That's said, when you compare an alternative work route where you work from home and earn 200k as a freelancer/consultant monthly, you can maximize your earnings by working for more companies.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by WoundedLamb: 1:24pm On Jun 16, 2021
I wouldn't call it "lost" though. For me, that's a way of telling recruiters and HR officers I'm not really eager to leave my current job just yet.
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by Vasgas: 1:33pm On Jun 16, 2021
And inside interview self I de commot now...
interviwer: How much do you think we should pay you
Me: I believe your organization ( he cut me short)...
interviwer: Answer my question...
me: I give am range.....
interviwer: laugh.. we will get back to you...

He no easy ooo
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by hybridblood07(m): 1:38pm On Jun 16, 2021
You've a valid point bro. I agree with you
bet9ja:

Do the maths, you earn 350K monthly from a 8 to 5 job. Including the stress that comes with it, and your chances of earning extra income freelancing is very slim because you will be exhausted after work.

That's said, when you compare an alternative work route where you work from home and earn 200k as a freelancer/consultant monthly, you can maximize your earnings by working for more companies.
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by Jamoe: 2:18pm On Jun 16, 2021
AppHouse9:

Guys can you see why you should learn I.T. If this person travel abroad, he won't earn less than 30million naira annually with his skills
Land a lucrative I.T job in 2021. Grab this I.T Mega Bundle and Go from ZERO to HERO in just 6 months
Includes Coding package for kids + mentorship
WhatsApp Me if interested. Payment on delivery

Hi, can i get your WhatsApp digits
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by dustydee: 2:55pm On Jun 16, 2021
Robertkenny:
Okoye Vincent

Indian story. This was written by an Indian and modified to suit Nigerian audience.
If you know, you know. wink
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by talk2hb1(m): 3:41pm On Jun 16, 2021
hybridblood07:
You could have accepted the 350k to pass time and look for a better offer elsewhere. Additional 100k will solve some kind of issues. My own opinion sha. Thanks
Its not worth the trouble, I will be inquiring more than the 100k in cost going their, the 100k is not worth it.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by talk2hb1(m): 3:46pm On Jun 16, 2021
mokoh:

I will love to be a software developer pls what process should I follow
Stay with the necessary, then try the possible
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by Orire01(m): 3:56pm On Jun 16, 2021
PSVITA:
https:///c/2349016920129

https://wa. me/c/2349016920129
https://wa. me/c/2349016920129

Kindly remove the space before the me/c/ to see them
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by Gfskw: 4:56pm On Jun 16, 2021
No
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by Obas101(m): 7:16pm On Jun 16, 2021
Etinosa1234:

Bro what's ur niche..

I'm also looking for my first job
Web development. I'm focused on frontend for now... That's the role I got as well
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by Aurelius1(m): 11:07pm On Jun 16, 2021
talk2hb1:

Stay with the necessary, then try the possible
Which are the necessarys and which are the possibles?
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by Etinosa1234: 11:22pm On Jun 16, 2021
Obas101:

Web development. I'm focused on frontend for now... That's the role I got as well

Sorry.. Pls did u get the job on LinkedIn?
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by Happened: 11:23pm On Jun 16, 2021
Robertkenny:
Okoye Vincent

After i asked the reason to HR, she told me manager WhatsApp Group Links put you on hold. Again after 3 months i got a call that now you have to give final round of interview.

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by jeromeekugbere(m): 1:32am On Jun 17, 2021
talk2hb1:

I didn't lost their job, they actually lost what experience I am bringing to the table.
I am a software developer, employers never stopped knocking on our doors, but must we jump aboard every organization grin

I remember payqart recruiter interviewing me, he said they can only pay 350k, I told him 500k for the role I am applying for. I am making 250k working part time as a consultant, tell me why I will want to be coming to work everyday sitting in Lagos traffic, and also investing in clothing for just 100k. He said they will get back at me, which they never did.
Know your onions and you will never been for job/work again

Boss make dem show person the way Na,
Guy man Don dey tire to bomb o
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by Obas101(m): 7:48pm On Jun 17, 2021
Etinosa1234:

Sorry.. Pls did u get the job on LinkedIn?
Yes I did
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by LagbajaTheBEREAN: 7:40pm On Jun 18, 2021
Lawgod247:
I see. Let's wait for the experienced motivational speakers. Contact us for CAC Company registration, Business Name registration, NGO/Foundation/Club/Union/Church registration, Trademark, TIN, SCUML etc.Visit www. e nigeria .org or click HERE to chat with us. Thank you.
Awon know your value agent, food Don land o
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by classicTutor(m): 7:31pm On Jun 23, 2021
N2B2:

Good evening. Pls can u tell me what kind of freelance u r into.
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? by Nobody: 8:09am On Jun 24, 2021
N2B2:

Bro please can u put me through freelancing? I'll appreciate this, i've sent u an email, thanks for your time

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

British Council / Vacancies @ Federal Department Of Rural Development (FDRD) - Jan. 2014 / Kindly Advise Me From Your Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.