Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,320 members, 7,819,092 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:05 AM

Historical Photos and stories not in history books - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Historical Photos and stories not in history books (4518 Views)

10 Things The History Books Don’t Tell You About Pablo Escobar / Photos And Obituary Of Corps Member Who Was Killed By Gunmen In Bayelsa / Uniabuja Student Points Gun At Female Lecturer(see Photos And Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by TheSourcerer: 1:17pm On Jun 15, 2021
Iran in 1970's

This photograph is of a woman cutting her birthday cake in Tehran, Iran 1973.

This seemingly insignificant photograph demonstrates just how different Iran was in the 1970s. Now, wearing the hijab in compulsory and cutting a birthday cake in shorts like this woman would be illegal and would result in punishment.

In fact, if this woman was alive today, she would likely be arrested in put in prison for daring to take a photograph like this. It just goes to show how much things have changed in Iranian culture.

4 Likes

Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by Jeon(f): 1:18pm On Jun 15, 2021
SoBright101:
Your statement says it all

It can't change.. Nothing good can be found in Africa especially Nigeria.

Just stick to it cool

1 Like

Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by TheSourcerer: 1:19pm On Jun 15, 2021
Discovering Antinous

The Statue of Antinous was discovered in Delphi during an excavation in 1894.

The ancient statue is a young Greek beauty from Bithynia. He became the rumored lover of the Roman emperor Hadrian and died in Nile under suspicious circumstances.

Curiously, the statue was discovered standing upright on its pedestal alongside the holy Temple. It was found in relatively good condition and is known to be one of the most beautiful and impressive cult statues. It is likely to have been built following Antinous' death in 130 A.D.

2 Likes

Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by SoBright101: 1:20pm On Jun 15, 2021
You didn't take it all. Your eyes shall clear soon.

Jeon:

Just stick to it cool
Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by TheSourcerer: 1:20pm On Jun 15, 2021
Empire State 1941

Before New York City was a city of skyscrapers, the average building was no more than a few stories high. When the Empire State Building was erected, it consequently looked unbelievably huge in comparison to the rest of the city. It's no wonder that people came to the city just to see the enormous iconic landmark.

2 Likes

Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by Jeon(f): 1:22pm On Jun 15, 2021
SoBright101:
You didn't take it all. Your eyes shall clear soon.

Okay sad

1 Like

Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by TheSourcerer: 1:23pm On Jun 15, 2021
Late Night Phone calls

This is a photograph of a female dormitory late at night in the 1970s.

The image gives insight into what college life was like before the days of Facebook and mobile phones.

3 Likes

Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by TheSourcerer: 1:24pm On Jun 15, 2021
Nun and Fashionista

What is lovely about this picture is the nun's expression. Despite their white gowns and traditional, modest dress, they are looking upon the fashionista with an admiring smile rather than judgment. The woman on the right is a stark contrast to the nuns in her short dress, sunglasses and stylish shoes and handbag. She does not seemed phased by the presence of the nuns but the contrast makes for a fantastic image.

4 Likes

Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by TheSourcerer: 1:26pm On Jun 15, 2021
Pyramids in Cairo 1920's

Before the tourism

1 Like

Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by TheSourcerer: 1:28pm On Jun 15, 2021
Nicola Tesla in his lab 1890

Tesla was an electrical and mechanical engineer who is best known for his contributions to the modern electricity supply system. Tesla made dozens of scientific breakthroughs and was the former employee of Thomas Edison. Edison was his chief rival and rumor has it that it was actually Tesla who invented the lightbulb but Edison took the credit.

In this picture, Tesla seems unphased by the electric sparks shooting out from his lab and looks quite relaxed on a fold-out seat

NB . AC / DC

4 Likes

Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by TheSourcerer: 1:30pm On Jun 15, 2021
Yes this was a tic tok challenge of the 50's

Our grand parents goofing off as teens

Oh and there must be at least be 15 people in the call box

2 Likes

Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by TheSourcerer: 1:32pm On Jun 15, 2021
First Selfie

This particular selfie is special because it was not taken in 2019 Starbucks but was taken in the mirror in 1938. To make the photo even more special, it has been taken by the legendary Frank Sinatra when he was just 17 years old. We can't see what kind of camera he is holding but we're pretty certain it's no iPhone 6…

2 Likes

Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by TheSourcerer: 1:34pm On Jun 15, 2021
American Soldiers retuning home

3 Likes

Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by TheSourcerer: 1:36pm On Jun 15, 2021
Titanic Anchor chain

5 Likes

Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by TheSourcerer: 2:51pm On Jun 15, 2021
SoBright101:
A lot of foreigners on this platform. It's so glaring you are one of those western spy on every African platform. You are one of those who use the word like "African mentality" while the white want to be look down on their own history, culture and traditional. You twist African histories and make yours look superior.

I know you won't stop trying to keep enslaving Africans but one day all Africans will be free from mental slavery.

impressive what you can type from home with such conviction.
Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by TheSourcerer: 2:52pm On Jun 15, 2021
DaddyRochie1642:
TheSourcerer and his Fantastic Threads.
thank you DaddyRochie for awesome contributions made in the past , hope your day goes smoothly well

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by AceRoyal: 7:50pm On Jun 15, 2021
SoBright101:
You'll keep feeding us with foreign history while majority of Nigerians don't know a thing about his family talk more of his home town, tribe or race.
It won't be bad if you feed us with local history, would it? angry
Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by armadeo(m): 11:12am On Jun 16, 2021
SoBright101:
You'll keep feeding us with foreign history while majority of Nigerians don't know a thing about his family talk more of his home town, tribe or race.

You must be a clown.

How can you enter another person's thread and start dictating how he should direct his efforts.

What happened to your fingers. You may as well start your own threads and educate us.

The nerve of you guys.

@ op I prefer these lighter threads to your darker ones.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by JoyRosey3: 6:02pm On Jun 16, 2021
Nice pictures
Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by TheSourcerer: 9:46am On Jun 19, 2021
Jeon:

Just stick to it cool
oh no they are a lot of beautiful things people and ideas in Africa , to be honest 'Africa' is no diffrent from any other 'Continent' its all land
Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by SoBright101: 12:57pm On Jun 19, 2021
Your first statement says a lot about you.
I repeat, it's time to stop feeding Africans foreign history, it's time to retrace our history and build our future on our foundation if we have to progress like westerners.

armadeo:

You must be a clown.

How can you enter another person's thread and start dictating how he should direct his efforts.

What happened to your fingers. You may as well start your own threads and educate us.

The nerve of you guys.

@ op I prefer these lighter threads to your darker ones.
Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by Iykoto86(m): 2:41pm On Jun 19, 2021
SoBright101:
A lot of foreigners on this platform. It's so glaring you are one of those western spy on every African platform. You are one of those who use the word like "African mentality" while the white want to be look down on their own history, culture and tradition. You twist African histories and make yours look superior.

I know you won't stop trying to keep enslaving Africans but one day all Africans will be free from mental slavery.

Be calming dow small naa, everything no be quarrel ,enjoy the history lesson and move on.

1 Like

Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by SoBright101: 2:47pm On Jun 19, 2021
No qualms, i just think we should be proud and say more of our history so that our generations won't learn twisted history from foreigners in the future.

Iykoto86:
Be calming dow small naa, everything no be quarrel ,enjoy the history lesson and move on.

1 Like

Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by armadeo(m): 2:58pm On Jun 19, 2021
SoBright101:
Your first statement says a lot about you.
I repeat, it's time to stop feeding Africans foreign history, it's time to retrace our history and build our future on our foundation if we have to progress like westerners.

Says what?

As I said you have got some nerve imposing your opinion and expecting me to swallow it. I consider people in that category to be clowns.

Now at the bolded, as I said. You can lead the way. Stop shouting on the sidelines and open your own educative threads on African and Nigerian history. We will read and learn.

P.s despite all your talk, you dont have a single thread educating us on african history.

Walk the talk.

2 Likes

Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by Nedu05: 3:04pm On Jun 19, 2021
Mathoj
Mathoj
Mathoj
Mathoj
Mathoj
Mathoj
Mathoj
Juliusmalema
Imaxdocuments
MysteryShopper
Somalianprince
GitmoAuditors
M16Surveillance
MathojMathojMathojMathojMathojMathojMathojMathojMathojMathojMathojMathojMathojMathoj
.......All one person ! Some people really make SYCOPHANCY a full time job. When this youngman gets old, will he be happy or regret looking back at his deeds today?
The irony is that the pay masters of these types of persons do not have any iota of respect or trust for them. In the security world, they are killed off after their dirty sycophancy job because they are cretins not fit to be re used or too dangerous to pass on to another creepy person.
Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by SoBright101: 3:05pm On Jun 19, 2021
I don't know what you mean by "imposing opinion" but i've been educating people about African history, culture and traditions. May be i will start doing that on nairaland soon. Thanks for the advice.

armadeo:

Says what?

As I said you have got some nerve imposing your opinion and expecting me to swallow it. I consider people in that category to be clowns.

Now at the bolded, as I said. You can lead the way. Stop shouting on the sidelines and open your own educative threads on African and Nigerian history. We will read and learn.

P.s despite all your talk, you dont have a single thread educating us on african history.

Walk the talk.

Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by armadeo(m): 3:11pm On Jun 19, 2021
SoBright101:

This is your opinion. You were imposing it on another person's effort.

I'm awaiting your threads. I'll be an active participant.

1 Like

Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by Stellar360(m): 8:39pm On Jun 19, 2021
lol, this is beautiful grin
TheSourcerer:
Football Truce

During Christmas 1914, French, German and British soldiers called an unofficial ceasefire along the Western front.

In the spirit of Christmas, the soldiers ventured into no-man's land to chat, exchange gifts and swap prisoners. In some camps, they even partook in joint burial services for their lost soldiers and the meetings ended in carol singing

The event became known as the Christmas Truce and is best known by photos of men from both sides playing a friendly game of soccer together.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by Iykoto86(m): 12:07am On Jun 20, 2021
SoBright101:
No qualms, i just think we should be proud and say more of our history so that our generations won't learn twisted history from foreigners in the future.

you bam
Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by TheSourcerer: 8:31am On Jun 20, 2021
Stellar360:
lol, this is beautiful grin
it is , the game of football is a beautiful uniting powerful force.
Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by superCleanworks(m): 12:59pm On Jun 20, 2021
SoBright101:
A lot of foreigners on this platform. It's so glaring you are one of those western spy on every African platform. You are one of those who use the word like "African mentality" while the white want to be look down on their own history, culture and tradition. You twist African histories and make yours look superior.

so the creator of this thread is the one making Africans slaves? amazing
Re: Historical Photos and stories not in history books by superCleanworks(m): 1:36pm On Jun 20, 2021
TheSourcerer:
impressive what you can type from home with such conviction.

hahahahaha. this is a 16 hit combo all made of slaps.
mehn. we have lots of sickos on this nairaland so please ignore that guy and keep doing what you do.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lawyer Kidnapped, Murdered In Imo State / Nigerian Vampire Kills Mother / SARS Will Beg You If They Arrest You, And You Remind Them Of These New Rules

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.