Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,344 members, 7,819,218 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:54 PM

Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft (23126 Views)

Francis Atuche: Court Freezes ₦19.1 Billion Belonging To Ex-bank PHB MD / FG Appoints Transaction Advisers For $6.2 Bilion Eurobond Issuance / Njideka Offor And Ugo Udu Wedding Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by Rodwave: 7:28am On Jun 17, 2021
rhektor:

You just proved him to be right about you and your likes
Where is this hediotic comment coming from?

Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by Issynoni: 7:33am On Jun 17, 2021
Oboi hubmart staff go hear am oooo

2 Likes

Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by RichBoy247: 7:36am On Jun 17, 2021
That useless Albino who ran down Volkswagen Nigeria and is currently running the fraudulent LBS was the Chairman of the Bank when all the looting and stealing was going on. Yet, the idiot will come to TV to say that he is the solution to Nigeria's problems. Thunder will Fire his generations. He should be jailed with his fellow thieves

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by rhektor(m): 7:38am On Jun 17, 2021
Rodwave:

Where is this hediotic comment coming from?

From a wise mind to a foolish rotten mind of yours
Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by VlamesIffect(f): 7:39am On Jun 17, 2021
He wan go buy land for moon grin
Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by Vaughanlanrewaj: 7:40am On Jun 17, 2021
Rodwave:

Shut up. It's illiterate sycophantic zombie miscreants like you that destroyed this forum with you hate and anti Igbo rhetorics. You think tribal politics will keep you hediots in power in perpetuity? You and your cow leaders will be disgraced.

Cc Seun Myndd44 Lalasticala
We will not allow you kill our nairaland with toxic comments , hatred and bigotry like you did with Twitter.
Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by Commentor: 7:42am On Jun 17, 2021
[s]
Rodwave:

Shut up. It's illiterate sycophantic zombie miscreants like you that destroyed this forum with you hate and anti Igbo rhetorics. You think tribal politics will keep you hediots in power in perpetuity? You and your cow leaders will be disgraced.
[/s]

Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by Bola146(f): 7:43am On Jun 17, 2021
caprini1:
Please has courts resumed sitting?

Yes since Monday
Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by RichBoy247: 7:44am On Jun 17, 2021
Vaughanlanrewaj:

Cc Seun Myndd44 Lalasticala
We will not allow you kill our nairaland with toxic comments , hatred and bigotry like you did with Twitter.

Vaughan, no let me beat you ooo. If a flat headed miscreant abuse you, you too abuse his mama nah. Stop crying to moderator.
Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by FiverrTutor(m): 7:47am On Jun 17, 2021
Vaughanlanrewaj:

https://www.nairaland.com/331313/atuche-refuses-resign-bankphb-ceo#4646631

This thread was in the twilight of the golden era of Nairaland. It is a decent thread with intelligent exchanges initiated by Suraj . By the time you go through the second link in 2015, you will clearly see how the standard had fallen. I still remember with nostalgia the time when you can have decent and intelligent exchanges here on Nairaland and not now where young folks who should be temperate and teachable make very toxic comments and haul insults at everyone including those old enough to be their grandparents. Thanks for sharing the historical background of the case. God bless you sir.visit www.freestuffsng.com to hunt for free stuff. May God bless Nigeria.

Yes that's true. I was part of that thread then although with a different moniker. I was a staff of Bank PHB between 2004 to 2006!

2 Likes

Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by Nobody: 7:47am On Jun 17, 2021
Bank PHB!
Pat Utomi's bank ba?
This man could not even run an ordinary bank, yet he has been in our media space for 20 years telling any government in power what to do.

Armchair leader!
If we had allowed him be president, this is how he would have allowed Nigeria to be plundered.

All these people that come on TV saying all sorts against the present day government, 99% of them cannot even lead their immediate families of less than 6 people successfully, yet they will come and be talking big big grammar on Channels television.

2 Likes

Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by Nobody: 7:51am On Jun 17, 2021
Hmm damn greedy bankers, see the other saying his children are not teenagers yet?
Na now you sabi?

Send dem to jail, they ruined people's lives.

What about the MBA forex crook? He needs judgment, he and his pastor.

1 Like

Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by Nobody: 7:53am On Jun 17, 2021
bunto:
Bank PHB!
Pat Utomi's bank ba?
This man could not even run an ordinary bank, yet he has been in our media space for 20 years telling any government in power what to do.

Armchair leader!
If we had allowed him be president, this is how he would have allowed Nigeria to be plundered.

All these people that come on TV saying all sorts against the present day government, 99% of them cannot even lead their immediate families of less than 6 people successfully, yet they will come and be talking big big grammar on Channels television.

No be delta man? All na packaging, dem are all crooks, forget his phd, sorting product.
Can you really trust your destiny to a stray eyed imp.

3 Likes

Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by Issynoni: 7:53am On Jun 17, 2021
azpekuliar:
I was at Hubmart in VI yesterday and I found it difficult to find a chilled can of Malt to buy as the shelves for beverages were scanty.
what a mess
Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by Issynoni: 7:57am On Jun 17, 2021
azpekuliar:
I was at Hubmart, VI yesterday and I did not find a can of chilled Malt to buy as the shelves for beverages were scanty.
hubmart Senior staff looting theirs too in any way possible that why its scanty
Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by Myself2(m): 8:15am On Jun 17, 2021
HonNL:
He refused to resign in October 2009, until the CBN stepped in.

A Lagos High Court sitting in Ikeja, erroneously freed him in June 2015
https://www.nairaland.com/2396850/n25.7bn-fraud-court-frees-francis#35025259

The Appeal Court insisted that Atuche, his wife and the ex-Chief Financial Officer Anyanwu had a case to answer then ordered for a retrial..in September 2016
https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/n25-7bn-theft-acourt-overrules-atuches-acquittal/%3famp

Chaiiii

You just go open Jenifa's diary on top Atuche matter. Are you a prosecution witness?

2 Likes

Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by Nobody: 8:15am On Jun 17, 2021
Wow!
SavageResponse:
That Atuche guy is a big crook. angry

in addition to the crime listed here this thief set up a personal company and put the staff of that company on the payroll of BankPHB so the bank would be paying their salaries!
Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by Dearpart1000: 8:20am On Jun 17, 2021
TimmyTen:
Bawa (EFCC chairman) is doing well and his life should be protected at all cost…. Corruption is deeply rooted in the fabrics of this nation…corruption will definitely fight back if u know, u know
with profound respect to you sir/ma. Please permit me to announce to you that Bawa has no power of his own over any high profile case unless the kings makers permit him. Who no go no know. If you know the level of rot in our institution then more elites would have been in jail than the yahoo boys they are packing like sardines. If you know how many contract awarded to none existing companies, if you know how many contractors have collected state funds and abandon contracts, if you know the level of mismanagement and impunity on the part of our leaders, then you will laugh when ever you hear the word EFCC. Until EFCC has autonomy their powers will begin and end with the common man and will remain nothing but a tool in the hand of the executive and some elites against their perceive political enemies.

3 Likes

Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by ThierryJay: 8:22am On Jun 17, 2021
FiverrTutor:

Yes that's true. I was part of that thread then although with a different moniker. I was a staff of Bank PHB between 2004 to 2006!

So you were the Delegiwa guy? I guess you switched banks when PHB's downfall became imminent.
Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by mayo47(m): 8:24am On Jun 17, 2021
Rodwave:

You should be the one to SHUT UP because you simply cannot comprehend......

2 Likes

Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by ThierryJay: 8:25am On Jun 17, 2021
Focusmind:
Prof. Pat Utomi and Kola are lucky. They were Board members of Bank PHB then. How did they escape being privy to what happened? Is it because they are influential or what?

Imagine the headlines if Pat Utomi was found guilty.

They were non executive directors and were not directly involved in the management of the bank but only there for corporate governance oversight. So they can only be accused of professional negligence but not criminal negligence.
Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by caprini1: 8:27am On Jun 17, 2021
Bola146:

Yes since Monday
Oh great ,thank you.
Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by TimmyTen(m): 8:32am On Jun 17, 2021
I totally agree with you Chief. We know efcc na political bull dog at least let them arraign the few better than nothing
Dearpart1000:
with profound respect to you sir/ma. Please permit me to announce to you that Bawa has no power of his own over any high profile case unless the kings makers permit him. Who no go no know. If you know the level of rot in our institution then more elites would have been in jail than the yahoo boys they are packing like sardines. If you know how many contract awarded to none existing companies, if you know how many contractors have collected state funds and abandon contracts, if you know the level of mismanagement and impunity on the part of our leaders, then you will laugh when ever you hear the word EFCC. Until EFCC has autonomy their powers will begin and end with the common man and will remain nothing but a tool in the hand of the executive and some elites against their perceive political enemies.
Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by jamace(m): 8:34am On Jun 17, 2021
mu2sa2:
"Francis Atuche is married to Elizabeth Atuche with children. He is a christian. He's from Delta state, not from the North. "
Shikena!

Gandollar fa?

1 Like

Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by Gamesmart: 8:39am On Jun 17, 2021
HonNL:
He refused to resign in October 2009, until the CBN stepped in.

A Lagos High Court sitting in Ikeja, erroneously freed him in June 2015
https://www.nairaland.com/2396850/n25.7bn-fraud-court-frees-francis#35025259

The Appeal Court insisted that Atuche, his wife and the ex-Chief Financial Officer Anyanwu had a case to answer then ordered for a retrial..in September 2016
https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/n25-7bn-theft-acourt-overrules-atuches-acquittal/%3famp

Good job, bruv.

Thieving bastards!

This is a man, Francis Atuche, that was making N100m per annum in 2009 when I was working at the bank.

That was about $660K, back then, that he was making in a year.

But was still looking to steal.

Pure greed!

2 Likes

Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by Geeman2006: 8:59am On Jun 17, 2021
Vaughanlanrewaj:

This thread was in the twilight of the golden era of Nairaland. It is a decent thread with intelligent exchanges initiated by Suraj . By the time you go through the second link in 2015, you will clearly see how the standard had fallen. I still remember with nostalgia the time when you can have decent and intelligent exchanges here on Nairaland and not now where young folks who should be temperate and teachable make very toxic comments and haul insults at everyone including those old enough to be their grandparents. Thanks for sharing the historical background of the case. God bless you sir.visit www.freestuffsng.com to hunt for free stuff. May God bless Nigeria.

Even Nairaland itself has failed to upgrade over the years. The site still looks like it was in 2007 when I 1st joined.. it has been ran over by ethnic and religious bigots and the Mods seem overwhelmed.. Imagine the site was owned by these current tech geeks, it would go places. Nairaland should be standing or approaching the likes of Twitter , Facebook by now in terms of revenue, users etc
Seun can & should do better.

2 Likes

Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by Nobody: 8:59am On Jun 17, 2021
Wow!
You are right! Awolowo's granddaughter did marry this thieving MD's son last year.

Excerpt from Ovation:
"Similarly well-educated and from a privileged background, Anthony Atuche schooled at the historic St Edmund’s College, England’s oldest Catholic school, before attending the prestigious Imperial College , London. Anthony also boasts an impressive and illustrious background; he is the first born of prominent businessman and erstwhile top banker, who is now a property magnate, Francis Atuche and wife, Elizabeth Atuche. The Atuches are also nobility and hail from the princely merchant town of Ibusa, Delta State, which is famed for the numerous entrepreneurs and icons of the Nigerian business and corporate world that it has spawned.

It was without any shadow of doubt the coming together of two illustrious families when the duo began their love-filled journey to marital bliss as friends and family convened to celebrate their traditional marriage at the prestigious and discreet The Bell Event Centre on Campbell Street, Lagos Island. The ceremony was an exhibition of culture and class."

Ndipe:
Read this

One of Atuche's sons got married to Awolowo's great grand daughter recently. The wedding was very lavish.

http://www.ovationinternational.com/the-regal-wedding-of-adesekemi-aderemi-and-anthony-atuche-in-lagos/

https://www.google.com/search?q=sekemi+aderemi+wedding&sxsrf=ALeKk00TpipI1WDTvL2S9pXR2n47cAB-tQ%3A1623913670681&source=hp&ei=xvTKYJX6Jvyi0PEPi9qHcA&oq=sekemi+aderemi+wedding&gs_lcp=ChFtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1ocBADOgQIIxAnOgcIABCxAxAKOgQIABAKOgcIABDJAxAKOgIIADoICAAQFhAKEB46BggAEBYQHjoFCCEQqwI6BQghEKABOgcIIRAKEKABUM4lWOJpYI5vaABwAHgAgAGODYgBvXWSAQs0LTEuMy4xLjcuMpgBAKABAbABAA&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-hp#imgrc=__0k--lBl_WksM

1 Like

Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by wink2015(m): 9:25am On Jun 17, 2021
A Lagos State High Court sitting in Ikeja on Wednesday sentenced the former Managing Director of defunct Bank PHB, Francis Atuche and a former Chief Financial Officer of the bank, Ugo Anyanwu to 126 years imprisonment for stealing a N25.7 billion theft belonging to the bank.

The 3rd defendant, Anyanwu was sentenced to eighty-four years of the twenty seven counts amendment with which he was charged with.

The former bank chiefs were convicted by the court on 21 of the 27-count amended charge of conspiracy to commit felony and stealing brought against them by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

The Presiding judge, Justice Lateefat Okunnu in a judgement that lasted over 12- hours held that the EFCC successful proved its case against the convicts beyond reasonable doubt.

The judge also held that the offences with which the convicts were charge can not be said to be mere professional negligence as claimed by them but criminal in nature.

The court further held that Atuche and Anyanwu abuse their powers, ignored established rules and regulations thereby putting the bank and depositors funds in danger.

The court also stated that the convicts corruptly took advantage of their positions to conferred on themselves undue financial benefits without regard to health of the bank.

The court, however, cleared Atuche’s wife of the charge of conspiracy and stealing.

Justices Okunnu held that the EFCC failed to linked her to the crime, stating that suspicion no matter how strong can not take the place of fact.

She held that it was not proven that she was aware of the source of the fund she received into her account from her husband and she had no powers to take any decision to influence the transaction.

The EFCC had alleged that between November 2007 and April 2008, the accused persons stole about N25.7bn belonging to the bank.

The anti-graft agency has claimed that out of the total N25.7bn allegedly stolen by the accused persons, EFCC claimed that they stole about N14.7bn by fraudulently describing it as a loan to some companies and subsequently converted the said sum to personal use.

The Commission had further told the court that the companies included Future View Securities, Extra Oil Limited, Resolution Trust and Investment Limited and Tradjek Nigeria Ltd.

The EFCC also alleged that about N11bn was stolen by the defendants and the said sum was used to purchase about 984,375,000 units of Bank PHB shares for themselves.

The said sum used for purchasing the shares, EFCC alleged, was described as loan to some companies including, Guesstrade Services, Sentron Trading, Montrax Investico, Claremount Management Ltd., Trenton Trade and others.

The anti-graft agency had closed its case against the defendants on March 4, 2013, after calling 12 witnesses, who gave oral evidence and issuing subpoenas to six other persons to present some documents which were admitted as exhibits by the court.

In his allocutus before the court, the convict, Atuche prayed the court temper justice with mercy.

“I asked for mercy from my lord, I am a professional banker and never thought I will end my career this way. Please, I don’t want to go to jail. I have been remorseful in the last 10 years that we have been on this matter. Today will definitely be a turning point in my life,” he said.

The second convict, Anyawu in his plea for mercy asked the judge to show him mercy.

“I am very sorry my lord, I asked that you have mercy on me. I am a father of young kids who are not even teenagers yet.

After listening to the convicts, Justice Okunnu held that she has considered the plea of the convict, there must be consequences for wrongdoing and sentences are not just for punishment but also for deterrent.

“The convict stole from the bank and depositors and because of their action, tax payers money was used to bail out the bank.

She also ruled that the defendant should restitute the amount stolen from the bank. They are to pay back the sum of N25.7billion to the Federal government to replace the fund taken from the public coffers to bail out the bank.

Such a young man destroying his banking career.

Let me not just talk on that as he is finish career wise.

He stole 25.7 billion naira which are money sourced through customer deposit.

How does he think the victim will cope with that kind of losses.

Does he not have conscience?

Bank does not have money of their own they depend largely on customer deposit.
Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by chrisvic007: 9:31am On Jun 17, 2021
Did you see their names? Na dem.

If dem no appoint dem, na marginalization. If dem give dem appointment, na to loot mindlessly.

Very sound judgement. Collect every kobo they stole and send them to jail to spend the rest of their lives there.

1 Like

Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by Focusmind: 9:36am On Jun 17, 2021
ThierryJay:

They were non executive directors and were not directly involved in the management of the bank but only there for corporate governance oversight. So they can only be accused of professional negligence but not criminal negligence.

well said! Bravo

Professional negligence as against criminal negligence. Good observation.
Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by torqque7(m): 9:55am On Jun 17, 2021
Please how do we get EFCC and CBN to go after the former board of directors of the defunct First inland bank as well?those people defrauded so many Nigerians of their hard earned money in the name of selling shares and immediately after selling those shares,they packed up without anything or explanation to people who bought these shares..abeg they need this type of Justice as well

1 Like

Re: Court Convicts Bank PHB's Francis Atuche, Ugo Anyanwu Of ₦25.7 Bilion Theft by TheMostComplex1: 9:58am On Jun 17, 2021
Within one year the siphoned people's monies wicked & heartless people

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Copyright Case: Davies Iyiegbu Secures Victory In Court Against Globacom / Naira Rises To ₦‎1,450/$ After CBN Hiked Interest Rate / A Blind Man In Jos Selling Phone Cords/Chargers (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.