Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,423 members, 7,819,520 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:31 PM

What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? (2074 Views)

What Happened When I Told My Class Mates That I'm On A 2:1 Not A 1:1 / Afe Babalola University Commissions Senate Building - The White Rock / When Your Village Witches Are Watching You On 120 Inch 3D Television (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by beauty7: 1:16pm On Jun 17, 2021
In my village, when the white man came.

People thought he was a mermaid.

So he was killed.

The place he was killed is called "Nna Inyang Orok", which means the "The sleeping place of the sea mermaid".

Because that is the place where his body lay after he was killed.

The place is in my village till today.

There was an instance where some white men came to a nearby village.

They saw one boy and held his hand to make an enquiry.

The boy out of fear shouted "Nyak" which means "Leave me"

That place is called Nyak till today, because the white men started calling the place Nyak.

Please share what happened in your village.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by beauty7: 1:16pm On Jun 17, 2021
There were situations where the white men would come and stayed in a particular Nigerian village.

They would start sleeping with the black women of that village.

Some female Europeans also got intimate with the black men.

That is why some people in the southern part of Nigeria look like Europeans.

Particularly some Igbo people who are as fair as the Europeans.

If you do a research on their family background, you will discover that their great grand parents slept with some Europeans and gave birth to White children.

That European gene is in their blood.

5 Likes

Re: What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by beauty7: 1:26pm On Jun 17, 2021
Also there was a time that the Europeans came and stayed in a particular area in Akwa Ibom state.

Some people were taught English language.

After sometime, the leader among those Europeans wanted to leave for his country.

So he called together the local people and gave a farewell speech which was being interpreted by one local man who had learnt English.

When the white man said "Thank you for your hospitality",

the local man interpreted in the local dialet a statement which in English means "Thank you for the hospital which you have built for me"

Everyone was surprised and started asking which hospital did they build for the white man.

The white man heard the murmuring, and said "Ikono what?"

You know this thing happened in Ikono local government.

He asked the people of Ikono what the matter was, since they were murmuring.

Because he said "Ikono what" and you know the way Europeans speak,as if they are speaking from the nose.

The people taught he said "Ikono wuok".

They taught that he was mocking them, because that "wuok" sounded like a mockery.

So they killed the European.

That is the story that is being told over and over.

6 Likes

Re: What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by hybrid11(m): 1:52pm On Jun 17, 2021
I wish I knew mine though was no moment to ask my grand parents about it
Re: What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by Kennyking1234: 1:59pm On Jun 17, 2021
Interesting
Re: What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by beauty7: 2:02pm On Jun 17, 2021
The coming of Europeans to Nigeria was nothing if not a great risk.

They would just enter a ship and came down here, where they knew no one and where they stood a risk of being killed.

I really admire them for such courage.

Europeans were far from alone in this show of courage.

Americans,Indians and Chinese also showed courage in going to remote areas, although they did not come to Africa.

4 Likes

Re: What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by beauty7: 2:02pm On Jun 17, 2021
hybrid11:
I wish I knew mine though was no moment to ask my grand parents about it

I used to ask my father questions.

I was really closed to him.

I used to hug him whenever I came home from school.

Then in the evening,he would be telling us stories.

It was fun in those days.

Shai, how time flies!

4 Likes

Re: What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by beauty7: 2:03pm On Jun 17, 2021
Kennyking1234:
Interesting
Re: What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by Nobody: 2:52pm On Jun 17, 2021
beauty7:

I used to ask my father questions.

I was really closed to him.

I used to hug him whenever I came home from school.

Then in the evening,he would be telling us stories.

It was fun in those days.

Shai, how time flies!

Your dad was in the 17th century?? undecided

5 Likes

Re: What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by beauty7: 3:27pm On Jun 17, 2021
SonOfAfonja:

Your dad was in the 17th century?? undecided

No.

Even my great grand dad was not yet born in the seventeenth century.

My father only told me what his grand father told his father.

The stories were handed down through the generations.

5 Likes

Re: What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by wiseone28: 4:26pm On Jun 17, 2021
beauty7:
Also there was a time that the Europeans came and stayed in a particular area in Akwa Ibom state.

After sometime, the leader among those Europeans wanted to leave for his country.

So he called together the local people and gave a farewell speech which was being interpreted by one local man who had learnt English.

the local man interpreted in the local dialet a statement which in English means "Thank you for the hospital which you have built for me"

Everyone was surprised and started asking which hospital did they build for the white man.

Because he said "Ikono what" and you know the way Europeans speak,as if they are speaking from the nose.

They taught that he was mocking them, because that "wuok" sounded like a mockery.

Dah kuyak owo ikono ayad esit o

Re: What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by beauty7: 5:53pm On Jun 17, 2021
wiseone28:
Dah kuyak owo ikono ayad esit o

Mbong akam mbo ke owo Ikono ikit se nwed emi.

Akpe nsue sueng ntom.
Re: What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by SaintBishop: 6:12pm On Jun 17, 2021
beauty7:
There were situations where the white men would come and stayed in a particular Nigerian village.

If you do a research on their family background, you will discover that their great grand parents slept with some Europeans and gave birth to White children.

Igbo people are fair because of bleaching cream,eg crusader and tura!

3 Likes

Re: What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by wiseone28: 6:45pm On Jun 17, 2021
beauty7:

Mbong akam mbo ke owo Ikono ikit se nwed emi.

Akpe nsue sueng ntom.
bong yak afon
Re: What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by beauty7: 7:18pm On Jun 17, 2021
wiseone28:
bong yak afon
Re: What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by beauty7: 7:24pm On Jun 17, 2021
SaintBishop:

There are so many who are fair without the use of cream.

There are some who are huge and fair naturally.

There are those who are fair with pointed noses and beautiful faces.

Etc.

If some of them stand side by side with Europeans, you cannot so much as differentiate them from the Europeans.

The only thing is that they also have an African gene in their blood.

That is why some of them are slightly different from the Europeans.

2 Likes

Re: What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by oglalasioux(m): 7:47pm On Jun 17, 2021
SaintBishop:

She is actually right. But such mixed people abound more among the Ibibio and Efik.
Re: What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by beauty7: 8:00pm On Jun 17, 2021
oglalasioux:

She is actually right. But such mixed people abound more among the Ibibio and Efik.

It is true Sir.

1 Like

Re: What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by Aderewah: 8:29pm On Jun 17, 2021
SaintBishop:

Very true. There are fair Ondo and fulani women too. Did they all sleep with oyinbo. European slave attache by forcr

4 Likes

Re: What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by Nobody: 11:58pm On Jun 17, 2021
if dis ur story nah true dat ur ikono village noh go exist again, dem go wipe ham clean pass Hiroshima sef for wwii.
beauty7:

Re: What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by 1Sharon(f): 1:59am On Jun 18, 2021
beauty7:

There are so many who are fair without the use of cream.

There are some who are huge and fair naturally.

There are those who are fair with pointed noses and beautiful faces.

Etc.

If some of them stand side by side with Europeans, you cannot so much as differentiate them from the Europeans.

The only thing is that they also have an African gene in their blood.

That is why some of them are slightly different from the Europeans.

You don't know what you're talking about.
Re: What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by 1Sharon(f): 2:00am On Jun 18, 2021
oglalasioux:

No she isn't. The reason why Igbos are light skinned is due to the high rate of albinism in that region.

By the logic, the Dan people of South Africa have east Asian due to to their yellow undertone and epicanthic folds.

1 Like

Re: What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by Obakashdee(m): 6:47am On Jun 18, 2021
beauty7:

This has to be the most useless take I’ve ever seen on nl, wth is this ? ��

1 Like

Re: What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by phemmyfour: 8:38am On Jun 18, 2021
beauty7:
The coming of Europeans to Nigeria was nothing if not a great risk.

They would just enter a ship and came down here, where they knew no one and where they stood a risk of being killed.

I really admire them for such courage.

Europeans were far from alone in this show of courage.

Americans,Indians and Chinese also showed courage in going to remote areas, although they did not come to Africa.

Which courage? They came here, stole our artefacts and precious natural resources and sold your great grandmothers/fathers as slaves to their colleagues
Re: What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by lapazi(m): 8:57am On Jun 18, 2021
I can’t believe what I’m reading…
Hahaha ridiculous
Re: What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by kaptaintintin: 9:57am On Jun 18, 2021
Portuguese came thru e sea, Arabs,Englishmen came thru the desert. Learn ur history.
Re: What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by beauty7: 10:06am On Jun 18, 2021
As for those people attacking me,I wish you go back to your village and ask questions and try to find out things.

You cannot stay in your house and conclude that what I am saying is not true.

It is a mark of arrogance and ignorance.

It is mostly in Africa that someone would just wake up and conclude that what he/she is hearing is false without trying to find out first.

Because a statement does not favor you or your tribe, does not make it false.

That a write-up does not favor your ego and belief system does not make it false.

Sometimes it baffles me that someone, out of pride, would just conclude a thing without finding it out.

At least what I have written,I have asked questions from elders, before writing this.

I wish those who are condemning me would do research first before coming here to condemn me.
Re: What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by beauty7: 10:12am On Jun 18, 2021
1Sharon:

You don't know what you're talking about.

And for your mind, you know so much?

If so, did you do research or did you go to your village to find out things?

Or you just stay in your house and conclude things without finding out?
Re: What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by beauty7: 10:13am On Jun 18, 2021
[s]
Obakashdee:

This has to be the most useless take I’ve ever seen on nl, wth is this ? ��
[/s]
Re: What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by beauty7: 10:21am On Jun 18, 2021
1Sharon:

No she isn't. The reason why Igbos are light skinned is due to the high rate of albinism in that region.

By the logic, the Dan people of South Africa have east Asian due to to their yellow undertone and epicanthic folds.

Which albinism?

A albino is totally different from a fair person.

You cannot say it is because of albinism.

Every tribe has albinos which is a medical defect.

But the fair people I am talking about have no medical defect.

They are naturally fair.

I know a fair man in my state whose genealogy was traced to a European who had something to do with his great grand mother in the seventeenth century.

There is nothing like albinism in him.

He is naturally fair
Re: What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by beauty7: 10:49am On Jun 18, 2021
AfricanGiant91:
if dis ur story nah true dat ur ikono village noh go exist again, dem go wipe ham clean pass Hiroshima sef for wwii.

It was not always that the white men would wipe out an entire area for killing their people.

It was not always that the white people retaliated.

There were many instances where a white person was killed in Africa and nothing happened.

I have some history books which include the coming of Europeans to Nigeria.

Although some of the books, I can no longer trace them.

My father studied English, Literature, French, Igbo and History in the University.

So history books were many in our house.

I wish you could buy one and read some of the things which took place when the white people came down here.
Re: What Happened When The White Men Came To Your Village In Seventeenth Century? by Ddone4: 12:57pm On Jun 18, 2021
Need Help With Your Project, Article Or You Want To Publish Check This Out

CARRY OUT ANY RESEARCH ALONE IS STRESSFUL

Check this out and let us discuss

https://www.nairaland.com/6601501/need-project-article-want-publish#102684836

(1) (2) (Reply)

Unibuja / Delsu Cut Off Mark For Economics / Please My Waec Results Displays This...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.