Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,932 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:27 PM

How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? (862 Views)

See Full List Of 1966 Coup Plotters And Their Tribe / Real List Of 1966 Coupist, The Casualties And Their Tribe / See Full List Of 1966 Coup Plotters And Their Tribe. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? by ICTWeb: 9:39am On Jun 18, 2021
How do one determined he or she is igbo? Is it by landmark or by mere similarity in language?
Or history which is the main thing.

The people surrounding the igbo tribe speak the igbo languages. But all of them have their own history and it's not by coincidence that all of them claims they are not igbo. Although they speak the igbo languages and igbo names.

Now the question is how do one determined what tribe they belong to? Definitely not by language because for centuries and history the dominate tribe language tend to superside the minorities language and before you knows it the minority tend to lose their own language for the more popular language in other to communicate with the rest of other people.

Example is that Nigeria is not british, but we speak english and have english names. And does that mean we are British?

Even in the North, the Fulani speak the hausa language. Even buhari cannot speak his own fulani language. And does that mean buhari is hausa?

Why are some igbo calling the neighboring tribe igbo because they speak igbo. But when it's time for igbo presidency they are not original igbo. Biafra as a country would be a mess of itself. The osu issue is still a case study.

Cc: Seun, lalasticlala
Re: How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? by Madmohamed1: 10:09am On Jun 18, 2021
ICTWeb:
How do one determined he or she is igbo? Is it by landmark or by mere similarity in language?

The people surrounding the igbo tribe speak a the igbo languages. But all of them have their own history and it's not by coincidence that all of them claims they are not igbo. Although they speak the igbo languages and igbo names.

Now the question is how do one determined what tribe they belong to? Definitely not by language because for centuries and history the dominate tribe language tend to superside the minorities language and before you knows it the minority tend to lose their own language for the more popular language in other to communicate with the rest of other people.

Example is that Nigeria is not british, but we speak english and have english names. And does that mean we are British?

Even in the North, the Fulani speak the hausa language. Even buhari cannot speak his own fulani language. And does that mean buhari is hausa?
language
Re: How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? by ICTWeb: 11:54am On Jun 18, 2021
Madmohamed1:
language
bout can't be language
Re: How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? by nlreserve: 12:00pm On Jun 18, 2021
ESNbrutality, this people mean business for this their new task of dividing the Igbos oo. IPOB is really giving them heart attacks to be recruiting guys to create these similar topics.

To answer the question, it is by CHOICE. That's why some Igbos who migrated to the north and are not in support of the Biafra agitation decided to choose Northern igbo, the latest tribe in town.

So, it is by choice. Question answered and case closed.
ICTWeb:

The people surrounding the igbo tribe speak a the igbo languages. But all of them have their own history and it's not by coincidence that all of them claims they are not igbo. Although they speak the igbo languages and igbo names.

Re: How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? by theTranslator: 12:03pm On Jun 18, 2021
History, culture and language and most importantly self association

You can't force a man to an ethnic group if he doesn't want to

T
esnbrutality:
Posts of drowning and inconsequential miscreants from the SW ....you should channel your energy towards having a place you can be

...............................................................Lord of the Manor...................................................................................

Is a Yoruba Republic not appealing to you??...

You guys are really shortsighted...

IGBO,IGBO,IGBO,IGBO...obsession is really a tasks that generates schizophrenic foolishness in zombies that are programmed to be beggars.

IGBOs are seriously woke now...and they know all the rubbish you guys throw out is bull.

I WILL RATHER BE A BIAFRAN than share a Geographical space with tribalistic miscreants like you.

Can you prove that he is Yoruba or you're just dumb?
Re: How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? by Monogamy: 12:07pm On Jun 18, 2021
Tribe, culture, language.

Landmark might not be necessary cos people migrated to some new area decades ago

IJOBA11
Re: How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? by esnbrutality: 12:09pm On Jun 18, 2021
Buhari said that Yoruba and Benin Republic are Cousins ...Is it true??

Answer me please...
angry angry angry angry angry

theTranslator:
History, culture and language and most importantly self association

You can't force a man to an ethnic group if he doesn't want to
Re: How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? by theTranslator: 12:14pm On Jun 18, 2021
esnbrutality:
Buhari said that Yoruba and Benin Republic are Cousins ...Is it true??

Answer me please...
angry angry angry angry angry

We are brothers
Benin republic south are mostly Yoruba and Find

Do your research
Re: How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? by esnbrutality: 12:16pm On Jun 18, 2021
Posts of drowning and inconsequential miscreants from the SW ....you should channel your energy towards having a place you can be

...............................................................Lord of the Manor...................................................................................

Is a Yoruba Republic not appealing to you??...

You guys are really shortsighted...

IGBO,IGBO,IGBO,IGBO...obsession is really a tasks that generates schizophrenic foolishness in zombies that are programmed to be beggars.

IGBOs are seriously woke now...and they know all the rubbish you guys throw out is bull.

I WILL RATHER BE A BIAFRAN than share a Geographical space with tribalistic miscreants like you.

ICTWeb:

1 Like

Re: How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? by esnbrutality: 12:18pm On Jun 18, 2021
Their Lamentations will soon reach Alausa...and from then it will germinate into full-blown MADNESS at Burdillion.

nlreserve:
ESNbrutality, this people mean business for this their new task of dividing the Igbos oo. IPOB is really giving them heart attacks to be recruiting guys to create these similar topics.

To answer the question, it is by CHOICE. That's why some Igbos who migrated to the north and are not in support of the Biafra agitation decided to choose Northern igbo, the latest tribe in town.

So, it is by choice. Question answered and case closed.

1 Like

Re: How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? by hakeem4(m): 12:18pm On Jun 18, 2021
I think it is by language. for example the gun people in Lagos state cannot claim Yoruba because they stay in Lagos.
Re: How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jun 18, 2021
It is by faith, if the people in a certain region believe they belong to a certain tribe then they belong to that tribe if they believe they don't, they don't.
Re: How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? by nlreserve: 12:36pm On Jun 18, 2021
grin grin No, it is by prayer
LordVoldermort:
It is by faith, if the people in a certain region believe they belong to a certain tribe then they belong to that tribe if they believe they don't, they don't.

2 Likes

Re: How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? by esnbrutality: 12:44pm On Jun 18, 2021
So why are you against IGBO and their brethren like us in Akwa ibom??

IS THERE SOMETHING ENTERNALLY WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE??

You can be brothers with Benin Republic but IGBOs cant with people in the ND Region??

Una never see anything ...just wait and watch.

theTranslator:

We are brothers
Benin republic south are mostly Yoruba and Find

Do your research
Re: How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? by theTranslator: 12:49pm On Jun 18, 2021
esnbrutality:
So why are you against IGBO and their brethren like us in Akwa ibom??

IS THERE SOMETHING ENTERNALLY WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE??

You can be brothers with Benin Republic but IGBOs cant with people in the ND Region??

Una never see anything ...just wait and watch.

I am not against anything like that

I am against coercion of "minorities" into your biafra

esnbrutality:
But on another thread you talked about itsekiri being a yoruboid (whatever that means) and as such they are Yoruba.

But if its IGBO it must undergo scrutiny?? angry angry angry angry angry angry

Let me tell you something you guys dont understand....the resentment people hold against you ..in the present region you love just because of "oyel" will baffle you.

Just understand that twisting narratives and vile propaganda wont help you this time...

ko le werk!!

grin
I never said that they are Yoruba
I said they are Yoruboid

The people say they are not Igbo
Let them be

Resentment. Against me? Oyel?
Why so cryptic?

I say the truth
The truth always prevails

I have no ill against you
In fact I love Igbo
My favourite aunt in law is Delta Igbo
Re: How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? by Ojiofor: 12:51pm On Jun 18, 2021
ICTWeb:

The people surrounding the igbo tribe speak the igbo languages. But all of them have their own history and it's not by coincidence that all of them claims they are not igbo. Although they speak the igbo languages and igbo names.

Why are some igbo calling the neighboring tribe igbo because they speak igbo. But when it's time for igbo presidency they are not original igbo. Biafra as a country would be a mess of itself. The osu issue is still a case study.

Cc: Seun, lalasticlala

If not NATIVE language tell us what it is.
What makes a Yorubaman a Yoruba not withstanding his geographical location and what makes a Hausa to be Hausa nor matter his nationality?
Use the same measure you use for other tribes whenever you are dealing with Igbo related issues.

1 Like

Re: How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? by esnbrutality: 1:02pm On Jun 18, 2021
But on another thread you talked about itsekiri being a yoruboid (whatever that means) and as such they are Yoruba.

Let me tell you something you guys dont understand....the resentment people hold against you ..in the present region you love just because of "oyel" will baffle you.

Just understand that twisting narratives and vile propaganda wont help you this time...

ko le werk!!

theTranslator:

1 Like

Re: How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? by survivor10(m): 1:08pm On Jun 18, 2021
Anywhere they speak Yoruba language or Yorubaoid languages even in far away Benin republic is Yoruba, same with Fulani, Hausa etc.

But when people speak Igbo or igboid language, they are not Igbo except they are in south east mapped out by one of the military dictators .

I tell you "One Nigeria" and Buharist, evil can't stand Light. Just a matter of time, Igbos will be free

2 Likes

Re: How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? by theTranslator: 1:09pm On Jun 18, 2021
esnbrutality:

ko le werk!!

grin
I said they are Yoruboid

Let them be

Why so cryptic?

I say the truth

In fact I love Igbo
Re: How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? by theTranslator: 1:11pm On Jun 18, 2021
survivor10:
Anywhere they speak Yoruba language or Yorubaoid languages even in far away Benin republic is Yoruba, same with Fulani, Hausa etc.

But when people speak Igbo or igboid language, they are not Igbo except they are in south east mapped out by one of the military dictators .

I tell you "One Nigeria" and Buharist, evil can't stand Light. Just a matter of time, Igbos will be free
It's all because majority of the people involved deny being Igbo
No conspiracy here
Re: How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? by 9japride(m): 1:16pm On Jun 18, 2021
theTranslator:

grin
I said they are Yoruboid

Let them be

Why so cryptic?

I say the truth

In fact I love Igbo
[color=#006600][/color]

If Biafra eventually become a nation and any Igbo speaking tribes that still remain in Nigeria have themselves to blame. Forget ignorant people who just talk rubbish online just to catch cruise in their hearts they know there are Igbo speaking tribes in other states but they choose to just play dirty politics and mischief. Its only the unwise ones that take boundary created by man as a reference point. Its just too lame.

1 Like

Re: How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? by Igboid: 1:34pm On Jun 18, 2021
Our OYEL decide ethnic group.

1 Like

Re: How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? by BKayy: 1:37pm On Jun 18, 2021
Tribes are determined by Cultural similarities.
Language is part of a culture. Tribes tend to share similar genetic, phenotype (body features) , linguistic and cultural composition

In modern days, it can be determined by simple DNA analysis
Re: How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? by Liebermantic: 1:39pm On Jun 18, 2021
Culture and Language..

1 Like

Re: How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? by ICTWeb: 2:10pm On Jun 18, 2021
Ojiofor:

If not NATIVE language tell us what it is.
What makes a Yorubaman a Yoruba not withstanding his geographical location and what makes a Hausa to be Hausa nor matter his nationality?
Use the same measure you use for other tribes whenever you are dealing with Igbo related issues.
I think is cultural and not language. The jews where tribe with one culture and history.

You cannot assume someone to be your tribe from other history and culture because of similar language
Re: How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? by Ojiofor: 2:34pm On Jun 18, 2021
ICTWeb:
I think is cultural and not language. The jews where tribe with one culture and history.

You cannot assume someone to be your tribe from other history and culture because of similar language

Is language not important part of culture?You can't have similar culture without similar language.
Those whose native language is Igbo in Rivers state and Delta state what makes their culture different from those in SE?
If language is not a binding force to determine tribe,then no clan is actually Igbo.What you will have is Ngwa,Owerre,Bende,Nsukka,Ukwuani people etc....Same thing with other tribes in Nigeria.Stop judging Igbo matter differently.
Re: How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? by ICTWeb: 2:43pm On Jun 18, 2021
Ojiofor:

Is language not important part of culture?You can't have similar culture without similar language.
Those whose native language is Igbo in Rivers state and Delta state what makes their culture different from those in SE?
If language is not a binding force to determine tribe,then no clan is actually Igbo.What you will have is Ngwa,Owerre,Bende,Nsukka,Ukwuani people etc....Same thing with other tribes in Nigeria.Stop judging Igbo matter differently.
how come all the igbos said they are not igbo. I was dated a dalta igbo girl. She said she is not igbo, and I should stop calling her igbo girl. I said why and if you are delta igbo then you are igbo. She said they are not igbo. But delta igbo which has it own history.

The question is why is every body outside the south east rejecting the igbo? It's something that need to be studied.
Re: How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? by Ojiofor: 2:54pm On Jun 18, 2021
ICTWeb:
how come all the igbos said they are not igbo. I was dated a dalta igbo girl. She said she is not igbo, and I should stop calling her igbo girl. I said why and if you are delta igbo then you are igbo. She said they are not igbo. But delta igbo which has it own history.

The question is why is every body outside the south east rejecting the igbo? It's something that need to be studied.

That is the price of losing a war and being subjected to marginalisation by the FG.It is politics of survival for Igbos outside SE region.
Can you answer the two questions below and forget about what your Delta Igbo girlfriend told you.

1.Is language not important part of culture?
2.Can you have similar culture without similar language.
Re: How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? by survivor10(m): 3:18pm On Jun 18, 2021
Typical Nigerians. The truth stares you in the face, but being tribal bigots and wicked people, you twist facts.

Igbos can't be subdued!

1 Like

Re: How Do One Determined their Tribe? Is It By Landmark Or By Language? by gidgiddy: 7:03pm On Jun 18, 2021
ICTWeb:

There is something called "ancestral language". Even if you lose your ancestral language due to the influence of another group of people, and you start speaking a different language, you never forget what your ancestral language was.

But you will see someone whose ancestral is Igbo, he knows no other language his ancestors spoke, but he will br yarning rubbish about not being Igbo

(1) (Reply)

Sunday Igboho Chickens Out Of Lagos Mega Rally, Goes Into Hiding / E.X.P.O.S.I.V.E! The Deceptive Camouflage Called UK Education Summit A Must Read / True Story: How A Project Of $22-33M Was Inflated To Over $100m In NNPC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.