Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,956 members, 7,825,000 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

Jimoh Ibrahim Acquires Newswatch ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jimoh Ibrahim Acquires Newswatch ! (1558 Views)

Newswatch Magazine Headline About Buhari And PTF: Throwback / Jimoh Ibrahim Sacks Newswatch MD, DMD On Live TV / Metuh Bows To EFCC, Cooperates With Investigators-newswatch Times (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jimoh Ibrahim Acquires Newswatch ! by wales(m): 6:05am On May 06, 2011
Billionaire businessman, Mr. Jimoh Ibrahim, on Thursday concluded arrangements for the acquisition of Newswatch magazine with the signing of the Memorandum of Understanding between the former owner of the magazine and the new management.

Under the new arrangement, the backlog of seven months staff salary owed by the old outgoing management will be paid by the new management while all debts being owed by the old management will also be paid by the new owner.

Addressing members of staff of the magazine on Thursday, Ibrahim, who introduced the principal members of his turn-around team, explained that his mission in Newswatch magazine would not tamper with the editorial build up of the magazine.

He added that the new team would concentrate on the managerial aspect of the company to ensure that the vision of the founding fathers of the magazine did not “go under, but survive.”

Ibrahim expressed confidence in the ability of the editorial department of the publication to deliver, stating that though he had not done a proper diagnosis of the paper, he was relying on the reports submitted by members of his acquisition team who stated that the principal problem of the magazine was that of finance and not incompetence.

He assured the workers that none of them would be sacked, except those whose appointments did not follow due process; those who had been “fraudulently promoted, and those who were indebted to the company.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201105062333492
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim Acquires Newswatch ! by desgiezd(m): 6:17am On May 06, 2011
And there goes the legacies of Dele Giwa.

That magazine died with him in 1986
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim Acquires Newswatch ! by oderemo(m): 6:24am On May 06, 2011
Addressing members of staff of the magazine on Thursday, Ibrahim, who introduced the principal members of his turn-around team, explained that his mission in Newswatch magazine would not tamper with the editorial build up of the magazine.
believe that u will believe anything. he will tamper with the editorial build up, the news make up, the front page and all editorial views will be his.
the man is buying into newswatch to build his political ambition and advertise his various buss. ventures.
i just cant blame the geezer.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim Acquires Newswatch ! by Jarus(m): 6:37am On May 06, 2011
Socially responsibly, I will ok the acquisition, to save a dying legacy, and people. But knowing Jimoh Ibrahim, I will say this is the end of Newswatch's objective, investigative, critical journalism.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim Acquires Newswatch ! by oderemo(m): 6:47am On May 06, 2011
@jairu, dony make me laugh this early morning, social what?
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim Acquires Newswatch ! by slap1(m): 7:03am On May 06, 2011
Jarus:

Socially responsibly, I will ok the acquisition, to save a dying legacy, and people. But knowing Jimoh Ibrahim, I will say this is the end of Newswatch's objective, investigative, critical journalism.

Same thing I thought. This is the first sad news of the day for me. It's a pity that Newswatch, my best news mag, is winding up like this.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim Acquires Newswatch ! by slap1(m): 7:08am On May 06, 2011
ode remo:

@jairu, dony make me laugh this early morning, social what?
Haha, you too. Jai what?
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim Acquires Newswatch ! by oderemo(m): 7:18am On May 06, 2011
jokes apart, that newspaper lost me completely when dele died and we were fed all sort of lies whereas the truth was buried by those respected jono.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim Acquires Newswatch ! by slap1(m): 7:54am On May 06, 2011
ode remo:

jokes apart, that newspaper lost me completely when dele died and we were fed all sort of lies whereas the truth was buried by those respected jono.
Which truth might you be talking about? Educate me, please.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim Acquires Newswatch ! by Jarus(m): 8:45am On May 06, 2011
Newsmagazining died in Nigeria long time ago. I hardly even read newsmagazines in Nigeria again.
In the early to mid 90's, as a primary and later Junior SS student, I remember how glued I used to be to old man's Tell and Newswatch.
Scoops, interesting revelations, great analyses etc. Those guys fought military to standstill. Dele Omotunde, Ralph Ekpu, Dan Agbese, Yakubu Mohammed, Soji Omotunde, etc.

Every week, you got new things about the political intrigues, and terms like Kaduna mafia, were coined and popularized by this magazines. Oh, good old days of journalism in Nigeria.

Is Tell still publishing?
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim Acquires Newswatch ! by Odunnu: 8:49am On May 06, 2011
I seriously dont know what to make out of this.
This Jimoh Ibrahim. . .
I reserve my comment
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim Acquires Newswatch ! by enyojo(f): 9:14am On May 06, 2011
When a Newsmagazine begins to owe staff of more than 7 months salary, then what legacy are we talking about?
In as much as many people do not like jimoh's face and how he goes about his Ondo Guber ambition, the fact remains that he knows his onions as regards 'TAKE-OVERs'.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim Acquires Newswatch ! by Godalone(m): 9:17am On May 06, 2011
End of Newswatch magazine
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim Acquires Newswatch ! by semid4lyfe(m): 9:23am On May 06, 2011

Under the new arrangement, the backlog of seven months staff salary owed by the old outgoing management will be paid by the new management while all debts being owed by the old management will also be paid by the new owner.

I thought Jimoh Ibrahim was a business man shey? Are there any financial benefits that will accrue to him as a result of his acquisition of Newswatch? None! Except he gets a mouthpiece and a platform to vent and attack his political & business enemies.

Kai! More trouble for Mimiko
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim Acquires Newswatch ! by Ndipe(m): 10:25pm On May 06, 2011
Surprised though not totally shocking. As one of Nigeria's most popular magazine in the 80's, some people complained that it went downhill after the assasination of Dele Giwa. Have seen the magazine recently and was disappointed by the quality of production of the magazine compared with Tell magazine. My aunt used to admire their style of writing.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim Acquires Newswatch ! by OAM4J: 11:46pm On May 06, 2011
I thought this Jimoh Ibrahim has more than enough in his hands already?

He is fast becoming the Buyer-General of Nigeria, from 1006 estates, to Nicon, to Virgin Nigeria and now Newswatch.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim Acquires Newswatch ! by enyojo(f): 11:49pm On May 06, 2011
OAM4J:

I thought this Jimoh Ibrahim has more than enough in his hands already?

He is fast becoming the Buyer-General of Nigeria, from 1006 estates, to Nicon, to Virgin Nigeria and now Newswatch.

You didnt add: 'Corporate Affairs Chairman!'
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim Acquires Newswatch ! by lolatom: 11:51pm On May 06, 2011
Every single investment Jimoh Ibrahim acquired has failed, Ranging from VGC hotel,Nicon insurance,EAS airways,Virgin Nigeria and now to Newswatch. He's a good example of a bad investor. He has an aura of failure around him.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim Acquires Newswatch ! by Mynd44: 8:30am On May 07, 2011
I guess he was influenced by Dora Akunyili, rebranding as that is what he intends to do to himself
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim Acquires Newswatch ! by mbulela: 9:13pm On May 11, 2011
I hope this man does not use monopoly money?
His acquisitions do not make sense.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim Acquires Newswatch ! by tpia5: 10:54am On May 12, 2011
Sounds like he's buying up distressed businesses.

(1) (Reply)

Fg To Stop Rice, Fertiliser, Sugar Importation By 2015 / List Of Parastatals / Why Is There A Lack In Philosophical Thoughts In Nigeria And Africa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.