Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,768 members, 7,824,227 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:43 AM

Old Testament 10 Commandments Vs New Testament Commandments - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Old Testament 10 Commandments Vs New Testament Commandments (692 Views)

Which Of These 10 Commandments Do You Fault Always / Archaeologists Find Mt. Sinai Where God Handed Moses The 10 Commandments(Pics) / The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Old Testament 10 Commandments Vs New Testament Commandments by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jun 19, 2021
Old Testament 10 Commandments
1. I am the Lord your God: you shall have no other gods but me.
2. You shall not make for yourself any idol.
3. You shall not dishonour the name of the Lord your God.
4. Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.
5. Honour your father and mother.
6. You shall not commit murder.
7. You shall not commit adultery.
8. You shall not steal.
9. You shall not be a false witness.
10. You shall not covet anything which belongs to your neighbour.

Please list all the New Testament, Born Again and Spirit Filled Commandments as they are not laid out like in the Old Testament above.
Re: Old Testament 10 Commandments Vs New Testament Commandments by Kobojunkie: 8:18pm On Jun 19, 2021
ThePlainTruth:
8. You shall not steal.

Please list all the New Testament, Born Again and Spirit Filled Commandments as they are not laid out like in the Old Testament above.
You are 603 commandments short. There are about a total of 613 commandments/statues in the Old Covenant Law of Moses , of which all you listed are just the first 10. undecided

And no, you cannot just take the 10 and abandon the 603 other laws since God's Law is All or Nothing, the expectation is that they all be obeyed or you might as well not obey any of them at all. undecided
Re: Old Testament 10 Commandments Vs New Testament Commandments by Nobody: 8:22pm On Jun 19, 2021
Kobojunkie:
You are 603 commandments short. There are about a total of 613 commandments/statues in the Old Covenant Law of Moses , of which all you listed are just the first 10. undecided

But GOD only gave 10 Commandments to the people through Moses at Mount Sinai and not 613

1 Like

Re: Old Testament 10 Commandments Vs New Testament Commandments by Kobojunkie: 8:26pm On Jun 19, 2021
ThePlainTruth:

But GOD only gave 10 Commandments to the people through Moses at Mount Sinai and not 613
God gave them the first 10 there,does not mean the rest dont apply. There are total of 613 commandments God gave them as part of the Covenant which He then ratified in Deuteronomy 30 vs 15 - 20, just before they entered into the land of Canaan where the Law was to go into full effect. undecided
Re: Old Testament 10 Commandments Vs New Testament Commandments by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jun 19, 2021
Kobojunkie:
God gave them the first 10 there,does not mean the rest dont apply. There are total of 613 commandments God gave them as part of the Covenant which He then ratified in Deuteronomy 30 vs 15 - 20, just before they entered into the land of Canaan where the Law was to go into full effect. undecided

But you stated below that "Your bible is simply a book that contains writings that include the words of men, the words of demons and devils and also the written down Word of God Himself."
So how are you sure all 613 laws are from GOD

Kobojunkie:

Your bible is simply a book that contains writings that include the words of men, the words of demons and devils and also the written down Word of God Himself.

Kobojunkie:
Those who call the book, the Bible. a sword, are wrong! undecided

When Paul wrote what he did of the Word of God, he was in no way referring to you Bible which you have today ,nor was he asking people to carry around with them Bible parchments as if talisman against evil. He was instead referring to Jesus Christ, the one whose teachings and commandments are indeed the very Words out of God's own mouth - Matthew 4 vs 4- Just as the apostle John , in John 1, tried to explain to all those who remain ignorant of who exactly the Word of God really is. undecided

Your bible is simply a book that contains writings that include the words of men, the words of demons and devils and also the written down Word of God Himself. The book is not meant to be used as a Talisman. The Word of God - Words out of the Mouth of God Himself- written in it is meant to be read and stored up in your Heart where in the spirit it is meant to effect necessary changes depending on the state of the heart in question. undecided

Otherwise, the book itself is as useless as any other book out there except if you want to burn it for heat or something. undecided
Re: Old Testament 10 Commandments Vs New Testament Commandments by Kobojunkie: 8:45pm On Jun 19, 2021
ThePlainTruth:

But you stated below that "Your bible is simply a book that contains writings that include the words of men, the words of demons and devils and also the written down Word of God Himself."
So how are you sure all 613 laws are from GOD
The answer is simple! Because I trust God. If any of them is not of Him, God will let you know that and quite easily too. undecided
Re: Old Testament 10 Commandments Vs New Testament Commandments by Nobody: 9:02pm On Jun 19, 2021
Kobojunkie:
The answer is simple! Because I trust God. If any of them is not of Him, God will let you know that and quite easily too. undecided

Do you feel the GOD of love in the New Tastament would had commanded this:

Numbers 15: 32-36 Now while the sons of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering wood on the Sabbath day. Those who found him gathering wood brought him to Moses and Aaron and to all the congregation; and they put him in custody because it had not been declared what should be done to him. Then the Lord said to Moses, “The man shall surely be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp.” So all the congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him to death with stones, just as the Lord had commanded Moses.

But in the New Testament:

Mark 2:23-27 And it happened that He was passing through the grainfields on the Sabbath, and His disciples began to make their way along while picking the heads of grain. The Pharisees were saying to Him, “Look, why are they doing what is not lawful on the Sabbath?”
Jesus said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath. -
Re: Old Testament 10 Commandments Vs New Testament Commandments by Kobojunkie: 9:07pm On Jun 19, 2021
ThePlainTruth:

Do you feel the GOD of love in the New Tastament would had commanded this:

Numbers 15: 32-36 Now while the sons of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering wood on the Sabbath day. Those who found him gathering wood brought him to Moses and Aaron and to all the congregation; and they put him in custody because it had not been declared what should be done to him. Then the Lord said to Moses, “The man shall surely be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp.” So all the congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him to death with stones, just as the Lord had commanded Moses.

Mark 2:23-27 And it happened that He was passing through the grainfields on the Sabbath, and His disciples began to make their way along while picking the heads of grain. The Pharisees were saying to Him, “Look, why are they doing what is not lawful on the Sabbath?”
Jesus said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath. -
Yes, the very same God! undecided
Re: Old Testament 10 Commandments Vs New Testament Commandments by frank417: 9:19pm On Jun 19, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Wow so you know the book of Numbers in the bible and believe it writes the word of God that you said you do not believe it does right.
Guy I dey really surprise for u
Re: Old Testament 10 Commandments Vs New Testament Commandments by frank417: 9:23pm On Jun 19, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Wow wow still quoting this Deu verse from the bible.
Re: Old Testament 10 Commandments Vs New Testament Commandments by Kobojunkie: 9:24pm On Jun 19, 2021
frank417:

Wow so you know the book of Numbers in the bible and believe it writes the word of God that you said you do not believe it does right.
Guy I dey really surprise for u
You will keep surprising yourself until you finally realize you were not as intelligent as you thought yourself to be where my understanding of God and the things of God is concerned. undecided

1 Like

Re: Old Testament 10 Commandments Vs New Testament Commandments by frank417: 9:26pm On Jun 19, 2021
Kobojunkie:
You will keep surprising yourself until you finally realize you were not as intelligent as you thought yourself to be where my understanding of God and the things of God is concerned. undecided
Lol you already said that Bros. You said don't need to read the book of Romans written by Paul, an apostle that Jesus endorsed.
Re: Old Testament 10 Commandments Vs New Testament Commandments by Kobojunkie: 9:29pm On Jun 19, 2021
frank417:

Lol you already said that Bros. You said don't need to read the book of Romans written by Paul, an apostle that Jesus endorsed.
Now you resort to lying ? undecided

I asked you a very simple question in regards to who has authority when it comes to God's Law and you wriggled around like a worm refusing to provide direct answer to the question asked but you boldly accuse me of a lie here? undecided

Your kind never ceases to amuse me! undecided
Re: Old Testament 10 Commandments Vs New Testament Commandments by bobestman(m): 10:22pm On Jun 19, 2021
Your real bible is the Old Testament aka Torah.
The New Testament are just commentaries. They refer you to the Torah. This was why they always quote from it i.e "it's written", it's referring you to the OT. The main thing there are teachings of the Messiah which are also parts of the OT and the book of Revelations. Other books were written according to the knowledge of some of the Apostles and thus people who wrote the bible twisted many things there out of context.
The Messiah wrote no New Commandments. Many of his teachings ignorants folks had turned or summed up to commandments all have their root in the Torah. He only came to remove the burden in the Torah and tell the meaning of many of the teachings since He is WORD. Infact He came to simplify the Torah. Many things written about him in the Torah are still not fulfilled. He will fulfill all written about him when He comes

The Creator never change and can never get old.
His WORD can never change or become outdated that people call it Old testament or Covenant. A lot was done by thieves who translated the book to hide many things from you in the bible. So the book was sealed a long time ago (Daniel 12:4). Many things you people teach are not what happened. You can't even decode the lies, errors and contradictions visible there. The Messiah will come this endtime to UNSEAL the book. Many things you people teach here and quarrel about are not the truth. None of you, even your pastors understand the book. The truth when revealed will shock the world. Many who will remain then will sit down like a new born babe and learn. Stop teaching what you are not commissioned to teach. I tell you, their is a time for correction and restoration of the truth. Babes will humble you all!
Re: Old Testament 10 Commandments Vs New Testament Commandments by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jun 20, 2021
Kobojunkie:

But the same god that commanded someone to be stoned for picking sticks on a sabbath in the Old Testament cannot be the same God that sent Jesus to come and preach love in the New Testament. Don't you feel stoning someone for picking sticks on a sabbath came from the demons and devils like you have stated below.

Kobojunkie:

Your bible is simply a book that contains writings that include the words of men, the words of demons and devils and also the written down Word of God Himself.
Do you feel the GOD of love in the New Testament would had commanded this:

Jesus said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.
Re: Old Testament 10 Commandments Vs New Testament Commandments by Kobojunkie: 3:43pm On Jun 20, 2021
ThePlainTruth:

But the same god that commanded someone to be stoned for picking sticks on a sabbath in the Old Testament cannot be the same God that sent Jesus to come and preach love in the New Testament. Don't you feel stoning someone for picking sticks on a sabbath came from the demons and devils like you have stated below.

Do you feel the GOD of love in the New Testament would had commanded this:

Jesus said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.
Have you ever tried to read the Pentateuxh from beginning to end? Start from Genesis and begin reading through each book until the end. By the time you get to the end of Exodus, I bet you, that you will have a change of mind where God's love is concerned. undecided

We tend to try to bring God down to our level...which is a wrong way of dealing with Him. We are instead meant to rise above ourselves in order to understand who He is and what He is telling us. God's Love is the same way. We have our individual ideas of what love is, but God's kind of love is the absolute kind -always the same. undecided

Everything God does is love. When He drowned the whole world except Noah and His family. That was love in action. When God picked Abraham out from among his people and sent him to a distant land, that was also love. When God blessed Sarah with a child and when God asked Abraham to sacrifice that child, isaac, that was love in action. We may not understand it but that is who He is. undecided

1 Like

Re: Old Testament 10 Commandments Vs New Testament Commandments by petra1(m): 3:55pm On Jun 20, 2021
ThePlainTruth:

Love God And love people

maybe if i know your point i may be able to redpond more appropriately

1 Like

Re: Old Testament 10 Commandments Vs New Testament Commandments by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jun 20, 2021
petra1:

Love God And love people

In the Old Testament they are all listed from 1 to 10 in one place, so it will be nice to list all the commandments to follow in the New Testament
Re: Old Testament 10 Commandments Vs New Testament Commandments by petra1(m): 4:03pm On Jun 20, 2021
ThePlainTruth:

There princioles of God remsin thesame from old Testament time .New testament does not take away the moral principles of the law . the only issue is that you dont seek justification or righteousness by them but by faith. The Law still remains Gods law but its only for regerence purpose and for knowledge of right and wrong. because its only by the law we know whst sin is

Rom 7:6 — Rom 7:7(NKJV)
6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.
Sin’s Advantage in the Law
7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.”.

1 Like

Re: Old Testament 10 Commandments Vs New Testament Commandments by BassReeves: 6:29pm On Jun 20, 2021
ThePlainTruth:
8. You shall not steal.

petra1:
Love God And love people

Exactly brah, spot on and just as per Matthew 22:26-40 below

ThePlainTruth:
In the Old Testament they are all listed from 1 to 10 in one place, so it will be nice to list all the commandments to follow in the New Testament
Matthew 22:36-40
'36“Teacher, which is the most important commandment in the law of Moses?”
37Jesus replied,
“‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’
38This is the first and greatest commandment.
39A second is equally important:

‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’
40The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.”
'

Beloved ThePlainTruth, the common denominator and underscore, is love, in whatever law, whether the 10 Commandments to the people through Moses at Mount Sinai or the 613, just as petra1 and Kobojunkie, have correctly shared with you.

Now here's where I am complementing petra1's and certain part of Kobojunkie's comment. We are not bound by any of the laws, but are bound by, the underlining principles behind each one of them that still applies now, which are, to love God with all our heart, all our soul, and all our mind, as well as love our neighbor as ourself.

The appearance in a vision witnessed by Peter, John and James, of Moses and Elijah talking with Jesus, symbolised the Old Guard, exchange places with the New Guard, the process or a period of changing from one state or condition to another. Meaning, we have moved on from no longer have to live under the requirements of the law, for instead, live under the freedom of God’s grace.

Guess what more. Love, the greatest, conquers all. Hallelujah
Re: Old Testament 10 Commandments Vs New Testament Commandments by Kobojunkie: 7:30pm On Jun 20, 2021
ThePlainTruth:
8. You shall not steal.

Here are is a summary of sorts of some of the New Covenant teachings and commandments given by Jesus Christ where Prayer is concerned - please be sure to

New Covenant rules where Praying in concerned

* Ask, Seek and Knock, in order to receive, find and have the door opened to you- Matthew 7 vs 7
* Pray continously. I.e. don't stop asking, seeking, knocking until you have recieved, found and had the door opened to you - Matthew 21 vs 22 & Luke 18 vs 1- 8
* Avoid vain repetitions because God knows what you want even before you ask Him - Matthew 6 vs 7 - 8
* Always pray in secret and in hiding- Matthew 6 vs 6
* Pray the Lord's prayer- Matthew 6 vs 9- 13
* Forgive everyone who has hurt or offended you before you pray so your father in Heaven will forgive you your sins- Matthew 11 vs 25 & Matthew 6 vs 12
* Always approach God in Humility- Luke 18 vs 9 - 4
* Believe that you have received what you ask for and it shall be done for you - Matthew 21 vs 22 & Mark 11 vs 24
* Ask the Father in the name of Jesus Christ- John 15 vs 16
* If you abide in Him and He, Jesus, abides in you, then He, Jesus Christ , will do whatever you ask in His name - John 14 vs 13-14 & john 15 vs 7
* Pray for your enemies - Matthew 5 vs 44 & Luke 6 vs 27- 28
* Ask God for the Holy Spirit - Luke 11 vs 13 & Matthew 7 vs 11
Re: Old Testament 10 Commandments Vs New Testament Commandments by Kobojunkie: 5:18pm On Jun 26, 2021
ThePlainTruth:
8. You shall not steal.

Everyone of God's Laws are eternal and absolute, and Jesus Christ is God's Law in the Kingdom of God. Those who love Jesus Christ are those who carefully obey the details of the Law that is Jesus Christ, and no other Law.

Jesus Christ never asked His followers to obey the 10 commandments, nor the other 603 other laws that complete that set of Old. He gave to them a New Covenant complete a new set of laws to which He called them to submitting to and obeying.

1. Instead of “I am the Lord thy God, thou shalt not have any gods before Me.” , Jesus Christ declared that you cannot serve two masters - Matthew 6 vs 24. undecided

2. Instead “Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.”, Jesus declared that no harm will come to those who insult Him or God, but only to those who insult the Spirit of God, an act He deemed unforgivable - Mark 3 vs 28 - 30. undecided

3. Instead of "Remember to keep holy the Sabbath day", Jesus Christ declared “The Sabbath day was made to help people. People were not made to be ruled by the Sabbath. So the Son of Man is Lord of every day, even the Sabbath.” - Mark 2 vs 27 - 28, essentially doing away with the need for a holy day. undecided

4. Instead of "Honor your mother and Father that your days may be long in the land that He have their fathers...", Jesus Christ instead declared that only those who abandon their parents and families for His sake are worthy Him and eternity in His Heaven - Luke 14 vs 26. undecided

5. Instead of “Thou shalt not commit adultery.”, Jesus Christ declared that even by simply lusting in your heart, you are already guilty of adultery - Matthew 5 vs 27 - 30 undecided

6. Instead of “Thou shalt not steal. ” , Jesus Christ declared that if you have in your hand something that your neighbor has need of, don't tell him to come tomorrow, give him that which he asked for - Matthew 5 vs 42undecided

7. Instead of "Thou shall not Kill", Jesus instead declared that “You have heard that it was said to our people long ago, ‘You must not murder anyone.[a] Any person who commits murder will be judged.’ But I tell you, don’t be angry with anyone. If you are angry with others, you will be judged. And if you insult someone, you will be judged by the high court. And if you call someone a fool, you will be in danger of the fire of hell." - Matthew 5 vs 21 - 23

8. Instead of "Thou shall not bear false witness against thy neighbor", Jesus Christ declared, " But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned." - Matthew 12 vs 36 - 37 undecided

Jesus Christ said His friends are those who submit to and obey His teachings and His commandments. Are you a friend of Jesus Christ or are you a foe? undecided
Re: Old Testament 10 Commandments Vs New Testament Commandments by Bishopkingsley(m): 7:26pm On Jun 26, 2021
ThePlainTruth:
8. You shall not steal.

I can show it to you my next topic will be on this

(1) (Reply)

The Lord Is Not My Shepherd For I Am Not A Sheep / Popular Ebonyi Based Prophet O C Benjamin In Trouble Over Fake Miracles / Bishop Nwachukwu Convokes Interdenominational Convention To Clear Nigeria Of Ido

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.