Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,552 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:08 AM

At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? (11873 Views)

3 Important Things To Do Before Accepting A Job Offer / Important Things You Need To Know Before Accepting A Job Offer In Nigeria / 5 Things To Consider Before Accepting A Job Offer In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by Robertkenny(m): 1:00am On Jun 22, 2021
Adepetun Robert Kehinde

Technically speaking, you are free to back out at any point right up until the job is expected to begin. But the more important questions are how they will react to your backing out and the impression you’ll be sending.
If you were to back out earlier, it would give the company enough time to extend an offer to their second or third choice. So they will have time to run with an alternate to substitute for your dropping out. But if you hit them at the last minute, now you’re leaving them in a tough position because it’s too late to have a substitute come in. And that will make them pretty upset and angry at you! So you would have burned a bridge with them by not giving them time to deal with the situation. And the message is you “played games” with them.
The exception to backing out at the last minute would be a perfectly acceptable “emergency.” For example, you were involved in a terrible accident and are hospitalized or laid-up and unable to start work. While the company won’t be pleased, they will also be understanding that you don’t have a choice here. So it’s not your fault you’re incapacitated.
Thus, backing out of a job offer is something you need to consider very carefully!

Shared from Bogger.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by BuyAndSellStuff: 8:23am On Jun 22, 2021
Back out anytime.
Nigerian employers are heartless whether one man biz or multinationals.

They use you and dump you without warning so I have no qualms paying them back in their own coin.

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by Afonjashapmouth: 9:11am On Jun 22, 2021
As far as this clime is concerned, you can back out at any point. Nigerian employers can be very manipulative with the recruitment process in some cases and not until resumption you might not get to discover some misery about your new position. I remember getting a job offer to discover its a work from the CEO's apartment thing, also discovered after a month of resumption that he was in a serious financial debt. Walked his ass out of the crisis with my sales team and next boss relieved us of our jobs after some hide and seek of 8 months no salary to me the manager and 4 months of half salary to my team. ( We were making enough to float the coy) He sneaked to a new Lekki office after we were gone but back to his house now.

10 Likes

Re: At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by jojofola: 9:12am On Jun 22, 2021
It's never too late abeg.

Make sure you are not somewhere slaving away in this Godforsaken country.

3 Likes

Re: At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by Yankee101: 9:12am On Jun 22, 2021
None
Re: At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by kingemaker(m): 9:12am On Jun 22, 2021
Provided that there are no legal implications, you can back out anytime.

6 Likes

Re: At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by blazepascal(m): 9:12am On Jun 22, 2021
cry sadPlease can some one tell me a good gospel song the one that will touch my soul probably an emotional one .it might not be gospel though.
Re: At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by blinking001(m): 9:12am On Jun 22, 2021
Its never too late.

1 Like

Re: At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by doctor306(m): 9:12am On Jun 22, 2021
its never too late .... they dont give yoiu time to find a new job b4 sacking so why give them time to find secon choice they all heartles maan no reason them ...

12 Likes

Re: At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by Abilistic(m): 9:12am On Jun 22, 2021
Oh
Re: At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by FalseProphet1(m): 9:12am On Jun 22, 2021
When you realize that 85% of the staffs there are being owed salaries from 3 months and above...my brother japa.

When you discover that even though they pay well all the staffs are living in abject poverty...it means that the MD is using their glories to prosper. My brother run for your life.

When you discover that after removing transportation and feeding from the salary you agreed upon, the left over in your account will be looking like betting odds. embarassed my brother escape before you starve to death.

When you notice so many beautiful girls there upon your first visit, and you know deep down that your flesh is as weaker than "madam sorry" nylon bag, my brother, listen to the voice of your spirit and reject the offer or else it will be a case of money de work and baboon de chop.

This I have seen.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by slawormiir: 9:12am On Jun 22, 2021
Damnnn niggarrrr
You can get the fuckkk out at anytime

Why should you care if your backing out will put them in tight corner

Especially government jobs that owe all sorts of allowance without paying ....hazard allowance....even minimum wage arrears
Just take your annual leave of one month.....and when it is time to resume after the annual.....don't resume.....just from there jakpa

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by TokyoM(f): 9:13am On Jun 22, 2021
I do not think there is ever a late period to back out of an offer after accepting unless accepting such offer is hinged on a couple of binding terms like the Access Bank's 2 years bond where you cannot leave before 2 years going against which attracts I think a N2m reimbursement or something.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by Offpoint1: 9:13am On Jun 22, 2021
First day or week of resumption...When you figure out the working environment will drive you mad in less than a month... Just close on Friday and never turn back cheesy

Employers can fire you at any time, but they expect you give them a month or 3 months notice if you want to resign... what nonsense

11 Likes

Re: At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by elmessiahs(m): 9:13am On Jun 22, 2021
Anytime
Re: At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by MosayA: 9:14am On Jun 22, 2021
Nothing is never too late
Re: At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by iambabaG: 9:14am On Jun 22, 2021
If it doesn’t favour you.. You japa!
It’s called an “offer” for a reason.
You can choose to accept or otherwise.
Their opinion holds no water.
All this English language ko necessary at all.

2 Likes

Re: At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by Toscarel: 9:14am On Jun 22, 2021
Simply stop going to work
Re: At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by Regardless: 9:14am On Jun 22, 2021
Stay until you collect your 1 month salary at least and run. But my last boss employed a tactic, he payed on the 7th and delayed and paid those he loved. Me I just left my two months salaries and left.

They transferred my salary short of 20k, I left with my peace of mind - very important.

1 Like

Re: At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by Jeromejnr(m): 9:14am On Jun 22, 2021
blazepascal:
cry sadPlease can some one tell me a good gospel song the one that will touch my soul probably an emotional one .it might not be gospel though.

Another in the fire - Hillsong
Re: At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by cletz991(m): 9:14am On Jun 22, 2021
grin grin it can be so sweet ehnn
doctor306:
after first salary grin
Re: At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by Moscodee1990(m): 9:14am On Jun 22, 2021
At your convenience.
Re: At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by ProfAmaben(m): 9:14am On Jun 22, 2021
BuyAndSellStuff:
Back out anytime.
Nigerian employers are heartless whether one man biz or multinationals.

They use you and dump you without warning so I have no qualms paying them back in their own coin.

Not all. I've worked with some extremely nice Nigerian employers, the fact is that if your skill is easily replaceable, you'll be treated like trash which is normal.

Imagine a Full stack engineer in let's say Access bank that handles payment request being treated like trash grin, no employer can try that. Also imagine a receptionist that only uses Ms word and answer phone calls all day, you get the gist.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by Nobody: 9:14am On Jun 22, 2021
grin... At the point of collecting the First 28 working days allowance grin grin grin

Happy Father's Day grin grin grin

Re: At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by BigSarah(f): 9:15am On Jun 22, 2021
It's never late, just stop going or rather don't resume

1 Like

Re: At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by Yello1(m): 9:15am On Jun 22, 2021
blazepascal:
"Who am i that the highest king would welcome me" by Hillsong.
That isnt d title but if u put dt online sure it will bring it out. May God be with u
Re: At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by blazepascal(m): 9:15am On Jun 22, 2021
Jeromejnr:

hmm you again hope this one too. Will change my mood
Re: At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by blazepascal(m): 9:15am On Jun 22, 2021
Jeromejnr:

hmm you again hope this one too Will change me
Re: At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by blazepascal(m): 9:16am On Jun 22, 2021
Jeromejnr:

hmm you again hope this one too Will touch me...
Re: At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by pickatyouu: 9:16am On Jun 22, 2021
That same instinct that tells you to back out from a toxic relationship.

1 Like

Re: At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by Jeromejnr(m): 9:16am On Jun 22, 2021
blazepascal:
hmm you again hope this one too Will change me

Hopefully
Re: At What Point Is It Too Late To Back Out After Accepting A Job Offer? by Aderewah: 9:17am On Jun 22, 2021
Evrytime job, job, job. h best economies in the world are made of SMEs

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Stanbic IBTC Assessment Ikorodu / Prison Service To Employ 6,545 Personnel – CG / Nafdac Employment Scheme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.