Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,703 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:53 PM

How Small Businesses Are Taking The Hit On Twitter Ban - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Small Businesses Are Taking The Hit On Twitter Ban (13226 Views)

Kenyan Professor XN Iraki: Nigerians Are Taking Over Our Economy / How Businesses Are Going Mobile With Their Outlets (see PHOTOS) / Affiliate Marketing: They Are Taking Advantage Of Multi-billion Dollar Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Small Businesses Are Taking The Hit On Twitter Ban by calyto: 2:33pm On Jun 22, 2021
Yes. with that, a Nigerian-owned platform will make more money.

Ask yourself why you are here and how the platform owner makes money
Theunbothered:

Would you like the first three pages of every nairaland post filled with adverts about shoes, intimacy gadgets and perfume?
Re: How Small Businesses Are Taking The Hit On Twitter Ban by neyyoh: 2:33pm On Jun 22, 2021
Theunbothered:

You're the foolish one here.

If most of the customers were on twitter how will they find them?

Try to think for once, it's not hard.

Think my foot... I investigated the je store before making d comment.

An online shop with no online platform, apart from twitter is a disgrace, there are factor's why people patronise a store, twitter is just for marketing and marketing can be done in various ways.

If there business suffers due to twitter, it's all on them, no one gives a hoot about their short sightedness.

1 Like

Re: How Small Businesses Are Taking The Hit On Twitter Ban by nijabazaar: 2:38pm On Jun 22, 2021
uuzba:

Do you do motion capture, to make the VFX move realistically?

I belong to this school of thought that thinks motion capture is cheating tongue
Re: How Small Businesses Are Taking The Hit On Twitter Ban by nijabazaar: 2:39pm On Jun 22, 2021
Teeboy15:

This is awesome. How long have you been doing this?

I am 6 years into the field now
Re: How Small Businesses Are Taking The Hit On Twitter Ban by Odunolumide(m): 2:44pm On Jun 22, 2021
ba7man:
Online buying and selling doesn't start and end on Twitter....... same with Freedom of speech.

Facebook, Instagram etc are still available.

If you use Twitter,you would understand why Twitter platform is different from other social media.
You don't even have to pay for ads unlike Facebook and the app doesn't use much data unlike Instagram. Instagram restricts pictures circulation ,that is why a non celeb cannot have up to a thousand like on IG,even if you do,limited people around the globe can view them.
Twitter is a worldwide audience platform and news there travels like wildfire to all ends of the world,you can get up thousands of like and once you do,your account becomes a platform for advertising and you don't even have to pay a dime to Twitter -except if you need to.
Did you know that Twitter has a feature where people can subscribe to your tweets and pay you? Twitter is an app for the masses if you know your way around it unlike that stingy Facebook.

Facebook has the largest amount of fake news, government critics and online scammers ,please can you explain why it is not banned?
This Twitter ban has a lot of personal vandetta written all around it .

2 Likes

Re: How Small Businesses Are Taking The Hit On Twitter Ban by Teeboy15(m): 2:50pm On Jun 22, 2021
nijabazaar:

I am 6 years into the field now

How long do you think it'll take to learn this as skill?
Re: How Small Businesses Are Taking The Hit On Twitter Ban by Odunolumide(m): 2:57pm On Jun 22, 2021
initiate:

thank you o. who dey buy from twitter self? most nigerians use instagram for business.
twitter is just a platform for venting anger and abusing people stealing money

You know this is fake news Sha.
I personally have made a little change on Twitter just by downloading an app .
Business isn't limited to buying of goods only ,there are lots of services people render via Twitter and they make money from them.
I follow a particular lady who has a passion for culinary and catering stuff,she keeps posting several kitchen hints and people just followed her for her ingenuity, without her having to advertise anything ,I am sure people who needs a caterer do call her ,others requests for ideas on how to improve their kitchen and food,she says so. It didn't take long for her to make that into a business idea,she even wrote a book on recipe because she knows she has a brand already. People like her will definitely not be happy about this scenario because although she must be making money but it definitely wouldn't be as much as before.
Point is ,there are thousands of them like that.
Twitter isn't just for ranting like you suggested,there are a lots of other meaningful stuffs on it which I swear you won't understand.

Another one is this,have you tried streaming any sports on Facebook ?
If you have before ,you will attest to how difficult is it.
But these days,I don't even go out to watch any football that is past 9pm because I can stream it comfortably in my room without wasting much data.
When the season returns, thousands like me will probably have to go out to viewing centres at night despite the worsening security everywhere because people like you think "Twitter is useless".

2 Likes

Re: How Small Businesses Are Taking The Hit On Twitter Ban by Theunbothered: 3:53pm On Jun 22, 2021
neyyoh:

Think my foot... I investigated the je store before making d comment.

An online shop with no online platform, apart from twitter is a disgrace, there are factor's why people patronise a store, twitter is just for marketing and marketing can be done in various ways.

If there business suffers due to twitter, it's all on them, no one gives a hoot about their short sightedness.

It is difficult to explain to someone who clearly has never tried to run an online business before. This is like banning Wizkid from Nigeria and telling him to start writing French songs in Niger Republic.

So when the government makes regulations out of the blue with no constitutional backing or consideration for the effects on the citizens, the citizens should just go and die?

How does that encourage job creation, business and investment in Nigeria?

THINK!

1 Like

Re: How Small Businesses Are Taking The Hit On Twitter Ban by Theunbothered: 3:58pm On Jun 22, 2021
calyto:
Yes. with that, a Nigerian-owned platform will make more money.

Ask yourself why you are here and how the platform owner makes money

It seems you don't understand why I said this.

Many twitter vendors spam trending topics with their products to get more users.
This can be managed on twitter because there's options to block and mute users.

On Nairaland we don't have that option unless we message the mods.So every post will be littered with people advertising and spamming, even worse than it is now, and eventually people will leave because the experience has been ruined.

I am here because there has to be a voice of sanity against the many BMC goons and thugs spreading lies and keeping Nigeria in the gutter.
Re: How Small Businesses Are Taking The Hit On Twitter Ban by uuzba(m): 4:01pm On Jun 22, 2021
nijabazaar:

I belong to this school of thought that thinks motion capture is cheating tongue

It will be very hard to make things look and feel realistic without motion capture.
Characters will be flying around the place without any momentum(weight) like some 1990's kids animation.
Re: How Small Businesses Are Taking The Hit On Twitter Ban by neyyoh: 4:07pm On Jun 22, 2021
Theunbothered:

It is difficult to explain to someone who clearly has never tried to run an online business before. This is like banning Wizkid from Nigeria and telling him to start writing French songs in Niger Republic.

So when the government makes regulations out of the blue with no constitutional backing or consideration for the effects on the citizens, the citizens should just go and die?

How does that encourage job creation, business and investment in Nigeria?

THINK!

There nothing to think about as you ignored what was pointed out and jumped into the usual long epistles.

Yes, I have people selling online and they don't depend solely on twitter, they utilise every arsenal available.

I guess you guy's don't want to grow , you enjoy your ngba*ti ngb*ati low ambition businesses.
Re: How Small Businesses Are Taking The Hit On Twitter Ban by TheFalcons: 4:16pm On Jun 22, 2021
MansoryMX:

Sense is far from this one! I don’t get you. Kindly repeat it again!

[img]https:///media/5-26-2021/z0t41w.gif[/img]

Is that gif real. grin please share a link to the interview.
Re: How Small Businesses Are Taking The Hit On Twitter Ban by AlphaJazz: 4:18pm On Jun 22, 2021
maximunimpact:
Some small businesses that rely on Twitter for survival are finding it tough to cope as a result of the indefinite suspension imposed on the operation of the micro blogging site by the Federal Government.

Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of JE Stores, Jadesola Praise, said her sales had dipped since the ban was imposed because she depends on the platform to reach her customers.

According to her, JE Stores is a virtual shop that deals in unisex wears, sneakers, bags, slides, writs watches and others with nationwide delivery.

“My sales have been affected. I am hopeful that the government and Twitter will reach an agreement soon so that the nightmare will come to and end,” she said.

Also, a Lagos-based entrepreneur, Ogechi Egemonu, said she was selling more than N500,000 worth of watches, shoes and handbags on Twitter weekly.

Now, with the site suspended by the government, Egemonu does not know how she will cope.

“Social media is where I eat. I depend on social media for my livelihood,” she told Reuters.

Praise and Egemonu are few of the several small, medium enterpriseses (SMEs) in the country that have been affected by the indefinite suspension of the micro-blogging platform.

The Federal Government had on June 4, announced the “indefinite” suspension of Twitter over “the persistent use of the platform for activities that are capable of undermining Nigeria’s corporate existence”. It came days after the platform President Muhammadu Buhari’s post threatening to punish secessionist agitators.

He said that a “sizeable number of citizens” use Twitter to make a living.

Parliament’s minority caucus warned the suspension was costing Nigerians “billions of naira on a daily basis.”

Dumebi Iyeke, a research analyst with the Financial Derivatives Company, said it would hit young Nigerians – among whom there is a 45 per cent unemployment rate – the hardest.

“We are looking at a potential loss in their revenue,” Iyeke said, adding that it could further lower living standards amid high inflation.

Information Minister Lai Mohammed last week said that all social media sites must register a local entity and get a license to operate. He cited complaints over lost money as proof that the ban was effective, but said other sites are still available.

“Section 2(1) r of the NBC Act entrusts the Commission with responsibility to ensure strict adherence to the national laws, rules and regulations,” the DG said.

“Section 3.11.2 of the Nigeria Broadcasting Code provides that ‘the broadcaster shall ensure that law enforcement is upheld at all times in a matter depicting that law and order are socially superior to or more desirable than Crime and Anarchy.”

“Attention is also drawn to section 5.6.3 of The Code which requires Broadcasters to be mindful of materials that may cause disaffection, incite to panic or rift in the society in the use of a user generated Content (UGC).

“Note that it will be unpatriotic for any broadcaster in Nigeria to continue to patronise the suspended Twitter as a source of its information therefore strict compliance is enjoined.”

https://www.financialwatchngr.com/2021/06/22/how-small-businesses-are-taking-the-hit-on-twitter-ban/

Twitter'll get more popular
after this. grin
Re: How Small Businesses Are Taking The Hit On Twitter Ban by Theunbothered: 4:23pm On Jun 22, 2021
neyyoh:

There nothing to think about as you ignored what was pointed out and jumped into the usual long epistles.

Yes, I have people selling online and they don't depend solely on twitter, they utilise every arsenal available.

I guess you guy's don't want to grow , you enjoy your ngba*ti ngb*ati low ambition businesses.

"I have people"

So you don't sell.

Ask the people who sell how the ban has affected them.

The government should ban the Internet so your people can start selling on the streets, after all they are utilising every arsenal.

How will people grow when the government is banning every avenue for youths from cryptocurrency to twitter

Una mumu never do.

1 Like

Re: How Small Businesses Are Taking The Hit On Twitter Ban by Eriggs: 4:39pm On Jun 22, 2021
toxtimmy:
People like you are the ones that will butcher another human being and eat them while drinking your piss as water.

Damn Nigeria is finished with carnibals like you... What did your parents do to you to turn you into a zombie? Is it your tribe or religion that's made you mad?

Agbegbaorogboye, see as ur foolish attention seeking comment take finish your life for Nairaland. All because you want to troll some people that do not know if you even exist in this life grin grin.

You take ur hand go buy abuse, curses, insults and death wish for market, and the people you are even trying to get their attention never come online for almost 2 days now.
This is what d bible means by, they will dig a grave for u, but na dem and dem family go enter inside d grave las las.
Live with all the curses your mumu post don bring u.
It will last u a lifetime.
No sorry for you, attention seeking brainwashed boy tongue
Re: How Small Businesses Are Taking The Hit On Twitter Ban by meobizy(f): 4:44pm On Jun 22, 2021
Necessity is the mother of invention. The lazy companies should harness alternate means if this report is true to begin with.
Re: How Small Businesses Are Taking The Hit On Twitter Ban by neyyoh: 4:48pm On Jun 22, 2021
Theunbothered:

"I have people"

Soyou don't sell.

Ask the people who sell how the ban has affected them.

The government should ban the Internet so your people can start selling on the streets, after all they are utilising every arsenal.

How will people grow when the government is banning every avenue for youths from cryptocurrency to twitter

Una mumu never do.

Unwarranted emotion laced exaggerations.

It's all propaganda and nobody is banning the internet, nor would they have banned twitter if only that snake of a man called Jack minded his own business.

I see through all the bs and can't be convinced otherwise.
Re: How Small Businesses Are Taking The Hit On Twitter Ban by Classickj(m): 4:49pm On Jun 22, 2021
[quote author=maximunimpact post=102968037

[b][b][quote author=maximunimpact post=102968037

Also, a Lagos-based entrepreneur, Ogechi Egemonu, said she was selling more than N500,000 worth of watches, shoes and handbags on Twitter weekly.

[b][quote author=maximunimpact post=102968037

What the hell
500K every week
Re: How Small Businesses Are Taking The Hit On Twitter Ban by Gfskw: 5:02pm On Jun 22, 2021
Twitter doesn’t really convert for me I don’t know about others
Re: How Small Businesses Are Taking The Hit On Twitter Ban by sevynolu: 5:16pm On Jun 22, 2021
This is sad. Well, you can order this service below:
Re: How Small Businesses Are Taking The Hit On Twitter Ban by nijabazaar: 5:19pm On Jun 22, 2021
Teeboy15:

How long do you think it'll take to learn this as skill?

Persistence is key.
Let's say within a year and half.

Further practice makes u perfect
Re: How Small Businesses Are Taking The Hit On Twitter Ban by AmeLonRo(m): 5:19pm On Jun 22, 2021
Many hustlers in Nigeria have suffered from this Twitter ban. though some use other means to get access to Twitter, it does not flow like when no ban was placed.
Nigerians internet usage has not reached what it ought to reach before the ban.
Anything gets twitted in advanced countries.
We are backward in Nigeria when it comes to internet penetration.
The FG has promised to lift the ban at their own time sha.
see why Nigerians may be left behind on the benefit of the internet >>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P2riHt-0Mo
Re: How Small Businesses Are Taking The Hit On Twitter Ban by Teeboy15(m): 5:29pm On Jun 22, 2021
nijabazaar:

Persistence is key.
Let's say within a year and half.

Further practice makes u perfect

I'm interested
Re: How Small Businesses Are Taking The Hit On Twitter Ban by toxtimmy: 5:43pm On Jun 22, 2021

Eriggs:

Agbegbaorogboye, see as ur foolish attention seeking comment take finish your life for Nairaland. All because you want to troll some people that do not know if you even exist in this life grin grin.

You take ur hand go buy abuse, curses, insults and death wish for market, and the people you are even trying to get their attention never come online for almost 2 days now.
This is what d bible means by, they will dig a grave for u, but na dem and dem family go enter inside d grave las las.
Re: How Small Businesses Are Taking The Hit On Twitter Ban by Theunbothered: 6:17pm On Jun 22, 2021
neyyoh:

Unwarranted emotion laced exaggerations.

It's all propaganda and nobody is banning the internet, nor would they have banned twitter if only that snake of a man called Jack minded his own business.

I see through all the bs and can't be convinced otherwise.

Nigerian leaders will go on a popular platform with its own rules.

Nigerian leaders will misbehave and break the rules.

Nigerian leaders will ban the thing and ruin the plans of many Nigerians because of their own ego and lawlessness.

Nigerian zombies who refuse to think for themselves will praise the stupidity of their leaders while suffering.

This is the Nigerian condition.

2 Likes

Re: How Small Businesses Are Taking The Hit On Twitter Ban by Govocrete: 6:24pm On Jun 22, 2021
My twitter have been work for 24hrs now without vpn
Re: How Small Businesses Are Taking The Hit On Twitter Ban by Nobody: 12:36am On Jun 23, 2021
If your business depends on a platform you have no control you don’t have a business. This is why Aunty should’ve been collecting phone numbers and emails by now na to market directly to her customers or go on a different social media and invite the old customers there while advertising for new ones.
Re: How Small Businesses Are Taking The Hit On Twitter Ban by Agbegbaorogboye: 12:37am On Jun 23, 2021
Eriggs:

The thing tire me o bros. I just say make I stand for zombie shoe small make I see wetin una dey gain for the zombiesm. Omo una life no easy at all o. How you people sleep at night without nightmares amaze me. As in with all the curses and abuses you guys carry around, five Adeboyes may not be able to wash it all off.
Zombie way no be easy way at all o

1 Like

Re: How Small Businesses Are Taking The Hit On Twitter Ban by Frenzy01(m): 10:28am On Jun 23, 2021
Everybody is affected.. Even those that are not selling anything there, Twitter is the best place to catch cruise and be happy whenever you're sad or bored.

Meanwhile, make una Patronize my small business pls. I sell and I buy any breed of dogs swiftly at a very reasonable price. I also offer Boarding and pet care services

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Wema Bank Plc Launches Phygital, Its New In-branch Self Service Offering / 4 Tips To Use When A Customer Is Wrong / N25.7bn Fraud: Court Frees Francis Atuche

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.