Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,588 members, 7,955,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:36 PM

Is This True About Abuja? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is This True About Abuja? (5592 Views)

Is This True About Our Minister Of Finance, Kemi Adeosun? / Buhari Distressed About Abuja Blasts / 20 Things We Love About Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This True About Abuja? by Adejoro74: 8:35pm On May 06, 2011
Igbo are developing Abuja
The facts are there. For instance, 70 percentage and hotels, are owned by the Ibo. These hotels were not officially allocated to them, but were bought from the original allottees. They invested here because they believe in one Nigeria. Top Rank Hotels, Agura Hotel, New Chelsea Hotel, Bolingo Hotel, Harmonia Hotel, Petrus Hotel, Crystal Palace Hotel, Onyx Hotel, Protea Hotels and lots more, are all owned by the Igbo. We have substantial investments.

Source http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/abujareports/2011/may/02/abujareports-02-05-2011-001.html
Re: Is This True About Abuja? by sulad82i(m): 8:47pm On May 06, 2011
Are you talking about a street or a whole surbub?
Re: Is This True About Abuja? by Rhino5dm: 9:21pm On May 06, 2011
Slaves would never own anything. They are just preserving it for the RIGHTFUL owners. When it happens? Hmm. I can always trust aboki man in roasting SUYA.
Re: Is This True About Abuja? by Nobody: 9:44am On May 07, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

Slaves would never own anything. They are just preserving it for the RIGHTFUL owners. When it happens? Hmm. I can always trust aboki man in roasting SUYA.

@Rhino.5dm its time you re-access your hatred of the igbos you are seriously beginning to sound like an outdated broken recorder.

Hatred makes you die unnatural and untimely death - Think positively, it will greatly improve your life.

1 Like

Re: Is This True About Abuja? by Rhino5dm: 9:50am On May 07, 2011
Thanx bruv! With luv from lagos cheesy cheesy cheesy

greateros:

@Rhino.5dm its time you re-access your hatred of the igbos you are seriously beginning to sound like an outdated broken recorder.

Hatred makes you die unnatural and untimely death - Think positively, it will greatly improve your life.

Re: Is This True About Abuja? by Nobody: 11:34am On May 07, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

Thanx bruv! With luv from lagos cheesy cheesy cheesy

You are welcome with luv from abuja grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Is This True About Abuja? by Adejoro74: 12:57am On May 08, 2011
No one has yet answered my question. Is that true of Abuja or some omo Ibos are hyping?
Re: Is This True About Abuja? by Nobody: 12:54pm On May 08, 2011
Yes its very true.

90% of all the hotels in abuja are owned by igbos including the prestigious rockview hotels. Not hotels alone, they also own 95% of the shopping plazas, 65% of the housing estates and numerous indigenous construction and electrical companies for instance NEWS Electrical is the biggest indigenous electrical company in Abuja and west Africa.

Its estimated that the population of igbos in abuja is close to 41% of the total resident population followed by hausas with 32%, yorubas 15% and other minority tribes 12% (source grapevine)

1 Like

Re: Is This True About Abuja? by zstranger: 1:53pm On May 08, 2011
^^^

You also failed to add that they make up 90% of lagos population and own 85% of Lagos real estates. What about their exploits in Isreal? Isnt it worth mentioning?

I heard they own 50% of the properties in Gaza and 60 % of real estates in Baghdad. Igbos are doing great things I tell ya.
Re: Is This True About Abuja? by dplordx(m): 6:39pm On May 08, 2011
Useless people. Developing another man's region. Shameless lots grin cool angry
Re: Is This True About Abuja? by Rhino5dm: 6:56pm On May 08, 2011
And none of them was able to make forbes list. Hmm these igbo sef grin grin
Re: Is This True About Abuja? by udezue(m): 7:08pm On May 08, 2011
When shyt hits the fan I hope those Igbos busy developing Abuja will be able to defend their turf and own it. If they aren't ready for that then they should quit the BS.
Re: Is This True About Abuja? by jason123: 7:10pm On May 08, 2011
Adejoro74 is probably another Igbo man pretending to be a Yoruba man. Do not be deceived!!!SMH!!!
Re: Is This True About Abuja? by Nobody: 7:24pm On May 08, 2011
Adejoro74:

No one has yet answered my question. Is that true of Abuja or some omo Ibos are hyping?

what exactly do they own ? Houses or hotels ? Cuz i can remember okadigbo bought some houses in Gwarinpa estate before his death with Nigeria money.So what exactly do ibos own in Abuja ? Land,hotels or houses ?
Re: Is This True About Abuja? by macjive01: 10:12pm On May 08, 2011
zstranger:

^^^

You also failed to add that they make up 90% of lagos population and own 85% of Lagos real estates. What about their exploits in Isreal? Isnt it worth mentioning?

I heard they own 50% of the properties in Gaza and 60 % of real estates in Baghdad. Igbos are doing great things I tell ya.

stop spewing shiit igbo aren't 90% of Lagos only a mere 43% , dont own 85% of any property but a marginal 45% of real estate ( excluding native/ indigenous traditional housing) , Israel ? Gaza ? and Baghdad ? i dont know that one but one might believe that there wud b a sizable indigenous igbo in Israel- those that didnt migrate to Africa.

1 Like

Re: Is This True About Abuja? by Nobody: 10:22pm On May 08, 2011
macjive01:

stop spewing shiit igbo aren't 90% of Lagos only a mere 43% , dont own 85% of any property but a marginal 45% of real estate ( excluding native/ indigenous traditional housing) , Israel ? Gaza ? and Baghdad ? i dont know that one but one might believe that there wud b a sizable indigenous igbo in Israel- those that didnt migrate to Africa.

I learnt some indigenious ibos also stay in garden of Eden flexing with Chineke.Funny people.
Re: Is This True About Abuja? by zstranger: 10:23pm On May 08, 2011
~Bluetooth:

I learnt some indigenious ibos also stay in garden of Eden flexing with Chineke.Funny people.

I heard the real name of Adam was Adamuchukwu and Eve's real name was Eveioma

Am I missing something?
Re: Is This True About Abuja? by Nobody: 8:30am On May 09, 2011
zstranger:

I heard the real name of Adam was Adamuchukwu and Eve's real name was Eveioma

Am I missing something?

You guys are sick! grin grin

I cant comprehend why u na hate us like this. We are not as violent as the hausa, neither are we as tribalistic as the yorubas yet Nigerians hate us so much without any tangible reason except that we are business oriented and have a natural flare for progressing were ever we are. its not like we prevent other tribes from doing what we do best and yet una no wan allow is drink water keep cup! Na waoo!!

1 Like

Re: Is This True About Abuja? by Xfactoria: 9:25am On May 09, 2011
@OP:

Well, it is very true. In fact, I will go further to say 80% of shopping complexes in Abuja are owned by Igbos, even properties as well. About same 80% of the entire business in Abuja is controlled by Igbos. I am Yoruba, but on this one, I salute the courage and undaunting spirit of the Igbos.

However, they have an ugly side in the way they frustrate businesses for other non-Igbos in Abuja. They are incredibly pathetic in the way they collectively kill other people's business. They are damn too aggressive and would stop at nothing to take anybody out.

1 Like

Re: Is This True About Abuja? by ektbear: 9:29am On May 09, 2011
X-factoria:

However, they have an ugly side in the way they frustrate businesses for other non-Igbos in Abuja. They are incredibly pathetic in the way they collectively kill other people's business. They are damn too aggressive and would stop at nothing to take anybody out.

Elaborate?
Re: Is This True About Abuja? by Xfactoria: 9:42am On May 09, 2011
ekt_bear:

Elaborate?

I will give an example of the way they frustrated Yoruba folks out of the Dei-Dei building materials market. Dei-Dei is a village on the expressway to Zuba after the bye-pass to Kubwa.

It happened that when the shops were to be re-alocated sometime in 2004 by the authorities in charge, the Igbo traders solicited help from some rich folks in Abuja and influenced the sale of about 90-95% of the shops to them. Those rich folks who of course were Igbos were now selling the shop to traders. But you know what, they refused to sell to any non-Igbo existing traders in that market. That way they altered the ethnic composition of shop owners in that market. Almost all the Yorubas and traders from other ethnic group were forced out of the market. I visited the market sometime in 2006 and was shocked to see that most of my non-igbo customers were not their again. I called them and they narrated the story to me. It was really pathetic. I also heard of similar tales in other markets in Abuja. Igbo traders are mean when it comes to competition!

1 Like

Re: Is This True About Abuja? by ektbear: 9:49am On May 09, 2011
^-- No one else had a contact in government to help influence the sales?

It is a bit dirty, but then two should be able to play at that game.

Certainly no one should expect them to be kind to competition.

1 Like

Re: Is This True About Abuja? by agabaI23(m): 11:03am On May 09, 2011
ekt_bear:

An Igbo man is not kind to his brother in times of competition. They say, 'there is no brother in business'.

If you looked well, you would also have noticed that some other Igbo traders were schemed out and they too will be crying foul like some people from other ethnic groups.

1 Like

Re: Is This True About Abuja? by macjive01: 12:15pm On May 09, 2011
Ekt-bear u re damn smart, Luv the way u reason man. Agbaba u are spot-on as well.
Re: Is This True About Abuja? by Xfactoria: 12:18pm On May 09, 2011
ekt_bear:

Yes, but not with ethnic bias. Those guys only sold shops to Igbo traders. That is the point I was making.

1 Like

Re: Is This True About Abuja? by macjive01: 12:34pm On May 09, 2011
^^^ sincerely, an average Igbo man is not tribalist. I can't imagine an Igbo man preferring to sell to his brother when a non-Igbo is available. Why?

Igbos has got this mentality that Yorubas n Hausa are more laid back in pursue of money, now who wudnt want his Market neighbours to be laid-back folks? People who wudnt open their shop till 9.00 am, close at 4 pm.
Why wud he want an Igbo that wud compete with him?

U see it doesn't mk sense.

The only reason more Igbos could hav gotten more the shops wud hv been that they were willing to pay far more for the shop.

1 Like

Re: Is This True About Abuja? by Adejoro74: 3:19pm On May 09, 2011
X-factoria:

@OP:

Well, it is very true. In fact, I will go further to say 80% of shopping complexes in Abuja are owned by Igbos, even properties as well. About same 80% of the entire business in Abuja is controlled by Igbos. I am Yoruba, but on this one, I salute the courage and undaunting spirit of the Igbos.

Thanks for the insightful contribution; the only useful one so far. That said, I would like to ask more questions: If you read the initial post (post #1) of this thread, you will notice the statement in quote
These hotels were not officially allocated to them, but were bought from the original allottees.
I know you may not be involved in the process, but do you have any idea who makes the allocation and to whom were the hotels (or the land) allocated to initially that these Ibos then bought from? Do you know if an Ibo man is the one allocating the land in Abuja?

Also, in view of the above, I can deduce from your response that there are possibly as many Yorubas and other Nigerians as there are Ibo traders looking for shops in Abuja? If so, how were the Ibo ones able to scheme the rest out (that is, if an Ibo is not the one in govt responsible for land allocation)?

1 Like

Re: Is This True About Abuja? by dustydee: 3:23pm On May 09, 2011
could that be why properties in Abuja are very expensive? grin
Re: Is This True About Abuja? by agabaI23(m): 3:28pm On May 09, 2011
@Adejoro74
You  quoted
These hotels were not officially allocated to them, but were bought from the original allottees

and you are still asking who allotted them? Does it matter any more? If an Igbo man was in charge of allocation and Igbo people were not the the original 'allottees ' it tells you that the Igbo man was even against his people.

Anyway, most of the lands in Abuja were bought form Hausas who got the initial allocations and had no ideas what to do with them. That is what I heard, no documented source fyi.

1 Like

Re: Is This True About Abuja? by EzeUche2(m): 3:32pm On May 09, 2011
This is how the business world works. I do not understand why people cry unfair treatment. Create your own cartels, and battle the Ndigbo in the field of business. You never know, you may win. That is why I love my people's business acumen. Igbos not only compete with other groups in business, we also compete amongst ourselves. Many of the Igbos that you see in other parts of Nigeria and Africa, are the ones who could not compete with their brothers in Alaigbo. But the skills that they gained from their competitions with their brothers in the South-East has allowed them to perfect their skills against the businessmen of other groups. I love the entrepreneurial spirit of the Ndigbo.

1 Like

Re: Is This True About Abuja? by macjive01: 3:43pm On May 09, 2011
Fredick Forsyth once asked: "why is it that around the world chinese, Indians/pakistanis and Lebanese dominates every country's SMB - small n medium scale business except in Nigeria, Nigeria being the 2 biggest Market in sub-sahara Africa with lots of potentials to best the number one ?"

Ans: IGBOs

1 Like

Re: Is This True About Abuja? by ektbear: 10:11pm On May 09, 2011
I wonder if we just need more business training in Nigeria or something.

There is no where in the US where Igbos are dominant. . . they are largely like everyone else here.

So it isn't so much that Igbos are amazing so much as, if what X-Factoria is saying is true, the competition in Nigeria is lacking.

I dunno. Anyway, competition is good. Don't give up. Learn from what they are doing and feed them their own medicine.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Will Not Abandon Abdulmutallab - Gbenga Ashiru / Igbo In Jos Declare Seven-day Mourning For Ojukwu! / How To Differeciate Between A Muslim And Terrorists (picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.