Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:43 PM

Nigeria : The Land Of Promised Electricity. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria : The Land Of Promised Electricity. (1345 Views)

Beneficiaries Of Promised N5000 Stipends Will Be Selective- PMB / Akpabio: I Returned From The Land Of The Dead, PMB Called Me While In Hospital / Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria : The Land Of Promised Electricity. by Jakumo(m): 2:47pm On Jul 15, 2007
If the measure of a Nigerian government's competence can be distilled down to the lowest common denominator of whether or not that government can provide usable electrical power to the country, how would you rate the performance of Nigeria's new Yar Adua presidency so far ?
Re: Nigeria : The Land Of Promised Electricity. by Colonia(m): 3:46pm On Jul 15, 2007
I have no idea what they are doing so far. It is a shame that up till now we do not have stable electricity , no good roads and we have terrible infrastructures.But we should also be careful and remember corruption is now part of our culture. It will take some time to have credible government and not to forget the populace mindset which is full of corrupt practices. But i have hope that things will turn around if we all join together to bring back our country.
Re: Nigeria : The Land Of Promised Electricity. by Mamajama(m): 4:00pm On Jul 15, 2007
The reason why we still don't have electricity in Nigeria is because all the EX corrupt leaders like IBB, ABACHA ABiola and CO all had no idea what its like to sleep without aircondition or electricity. None of all this senseless politicians had the interest of the poor man at heart. Yar Adua should make electricity generation and stability the numberone priority of his administration as this will foster hope for the general populace.
Re: Nigeria : The Land Of Promised Electricity. by Colonia(m): 4:22pm On Jul 15, 2007
I am sure they do , but oops they forgot!!! because its been a while since they experienced it. Any leader that can lead by example will see quick turn around of things. If you sit in Abuja eating money, contracts etc what do you think common Nepa man will do? This leader need to know that they are not fooling anybody. example, you get into a position all of a sudden you have more cars, marry more wives, send all you kids abroad. Do they think commom market woman needs a recommended glasses to know whats up. Please gimme a break.
Re: Nigeria : The Land Of Promised Electricity. by BigB11(m): 4:24pm On Jul 15, 2007
MAMAJAMA: what's going on with ehindero, has he stated to chop beans yet?
Re: Nigeria : The Land Of Promised Electricity. by Bankole01(m): 7:13pm On Jul 15, 2007
Mamajama:

The reason why we still don't have electricity in Nigeria is because all the EX corrupt leaders like IBB, ABACHA ABiola and CO all had no idea what its like to sleep without aircondition or electricity. None of all this senseless politicians had the interest of the poor man at heart. Yar Adua should make electricity generation and stability the numberone priority of his administration as this will foster hope for the general populace.

I hope its not selective amnesia, but you left out Obasanjo from your list. He managed to spend 85bilion on electricity with nothing to show for it.
Opps my bad, he has a new airplane to show for it. (Excuse my amanesia) I must be getting to be like you!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Nigeria : The Land Of Promised Electricity. by Jakumo(m): 7:17pm On Jul 15, 2007
Here's hoping Yar Adua does the impossible and finds that elusive ON switch to get Nigeria electrically powered up for once.

He'll have my lifetime vote if he can pull it off.
Re: Nigeria : The Land Of Promised Electricity. by denex: 7:53pm On Jul 15, 2007
I'm sure electricity problems will be eased when those crazy terrorists in the Niger-Delta stop bursting pipelines supplying gas to our Gas Powered Thermal Electricity Plants.

By now, I woul expect that with the amount of money those terrorists have made, they should be able to buy detection devices that would help them detect if a pipeline is carrying oil for them to bunker.
Re: Nigeria : The Land Of Promised Electricity. by BigB11(m): 8:04pm On Jul 15, 2007
Posted by Colonial
I am sure they do , but oops they forgot!!! because its been a while since they experienced it. Any leader that can lead by example will see quick turn around of things. If you sit in Abuja eating money, contracts etc what do you think common Nepa man will do? This leader need to know that they are not fooling anybody. example, you get into a position all of a sudden you have more cars, marry more wives, send all you kids abroad. Do they think commom market woman needs a recommended glasses to know whats up. Please gimme a break.

Preach  on brother; That is what I say, GIMME A BREAK!

We are all busy chasing the governors; who is going to chase an ordinary NEPA technician. Believe me, those are the invisible corrupt to the teeth individuals, that no one is paying any attention to. Chasing only the big fish will not solve the problems, there are some little rats in our society that are capitalized in stealing little money here and there for many many years to come. Who is going to go after these parasites. (e.g airport associates, port authority associates, passport office associates, license office associates, transportation authority associates, Universities officials, police officers, NAFDA associates and so on). Believe it or not these invisible folks are also responsible for the disfunctional state in Nigeria today.

Let us all stop fooling one another, we are all responsible for one or two things that are currently degenerating the nation today.
It is sad that the corrupt leaders have set a solid foundation for all; even most of us would do the same as soon as we become leaders one of these days.
It is not the country, it is the people; old school and the new generation. We need to get hold of ourselves and find a better way to become better citizens.

My point, the system is corrupt and the culture is very dirty. We must clean up these 2 factors before we can go anywhere.

Yes, electricity in Nigeria is a major problem, a major failure of many and a major set back; My questions:

1. What does it take to implement a stable electricity in a country like Nigeria?
2. How much money do we need to complete this project?
3. Who can we count on to start and complete this project without taking us for another long ride?
4. At this point in time in Nigeria, what kind of strategy could be effective and efficient to successfully implement this project?
5. Will it be smart for us to subcontract this project to an established foreign organization?
6. How long will it take to complete this project?
Re: Nigeria : The Land Of Promised Electricity. by denex: 8:17pm On Jul 15, 2007
Do you know that as the new card meters are being fixed right now, some Nigerians are bribing PHCN contractors to manipulate the wiring connection in order to bypass all heavy electricity consumption appliances such as Air conditioners, water heaters and fridges.

So when the IPPs become fully functional, the records of the electricity consumed will be at par with what is produced, but real consumption will be 2 times more than that so the system will still fail.
Re: Nigeria : The Land Of Promised Electricity. by BigB11(m): 8:30pm On Jul 15, 2007
posted by Denex
Do you know that as the new card meters are being fixed right now, some Nigerians are bribing PHCN contractors to manipulate the wiring connection in order to bypass all heavy electricity consumption appliances such as Air conditioners, water heaters and fridges.

So when the IPPs become fully functional, the records of the electricity consumed will be at par with what is produced, but real consumption will be 2 times more than that so the system will still fail

Exactly, and these are the same folks that we cry and cry that the leaders are destroying the country. It is sad and a shame that we find it very difficult to see part of the problems inside our homes or back yard.

Yes, the leaders are bastards, but we also need to get it together as the citizens of Nigeria.

Country like United States maintains a great status (better standard of living) mostly because of the citizens' commitment and dedication to doing what is right.
Re: Nigeria : The Land Of Promised Electricity. by vigasimple(m): 8:46pm On Jul 15, 2007
I DON'T KNOW HOW ABOUT YOU GUYS.

MY OPINION IS THAT ELECTRICITY RUNNING SMOOTHLY IS NOT THAT DIFFICULT.

What is difficult are some few difficult decision to be made.

For instance, we need a leader with vision to address the Nigerian state of POVERTY.

Unless you deal with the root cause(s) of problems, I am afraid this problems are not going to go away.

So even if you manage to fix electricity, you have to maintain and manage it and secure the supply and stop the abuse of staff and consumers alike. For instance you may have to employ a digital approach to payment for consumption like GSM phones.

It is what it is generally called troubleshooting of all imaginable scenario to defeat the cheats.

Nobody build a house without a plan, without masterplan the whole thing will be a joke. We should be planning to build a world class electricity system that will last at least 100years  and more ,plus also leave room for expansion.

There are some silent conspiracy to stand up to some unpalatable truth. If the present system has failed maybe we should pull all of it down and build a viable and futuristic system. Maybe patch patch no go work, why pretending and deciving ourselves. Pull down and rebuild.

Just if anybody see what happens when Abuja was built from a msterplan, the place looks beautiful and if maintain then we all know we have something to showcase.

I have said it before, I will say it again, If you give me 24 months may be 30 months so that I will use the first 3 months to compile the problem and profer a solution and use the following 18 months to 24 months to build.

If things are much tougher than we anticipate get a lot of foreign companies especially the chinesse to do it and deal with the major capitals and cities and then expand, maximum by the end of this goverment 1st term electricity problem will be a thing of the past.

God please help us, we need your blessing and touching and give us a vision and a new sense of diretions.
Re: Nigeria : The Land Of Promised Electricity. by Colonia(m): 4:59am On Jul 16, 2007
Big B1:

posted by Denex
Exactly, and these are the same folks that we cry and cry that the leaders are destroying the country. It is sad and a shame that we find it very difficult to see part of the problems inside our homes or back yard.

Yes, the leaders are bastards, but we also need to get it together as the citizens of Nigeria.

Country like United States maintains a great status (better standard of living) mostly because of the citizens' commitment and dedication to doing what is right.

Right on, here goes another man made problem. The solution is not yet here we already planning the problem.
Re: Nigeria : The Land Of Promised Electricity. by desgiezd(m): 11:37am On Jul 16, 2007
If only promises can produce electricity, Nigeria would generate 1m Mega Watts.
Re: Nigeria : The Land Of Promised Electricity. by angel101(f): 12:09pm On Jul 16, 2007
denex:

So when the IPPs become fully functional, the records of the electricity consumed will be at par with what is produced, but real consumption will be 2 times more than that so the system will still fail.

I think we need to address the disease rather than the symptoms. The major reason for people behaving in the manner which u have highlighted is poverty plain and simple!
Re: Nigeria : The Land Of Promised Electricity. by denex: 12:20pm On Jul 16, 2007
Poverty that is now enabling average nigerians overload their apartments with split airconditioners?
Re: Nigeria : The Land Of Promised Electricity. by angel101(f): 12:21pm On Jul 16, 2007
Poverty does not begin and end with cash my brother.
Re: Nigeria : The Land Of Promised Electricity. by initiator(m): 1:47pm On Jul 16, 2007
@ Big B1, if u dont hound the corrupt leaders then you lack the moral authority to question NEPA technicians.

@denex when the standard of living is below the law, breaking the law becomes imperative.

The solution to nepa is quite simple: unbundle nepa, sell the components off to technically sound coys, then create a strong regulatory organ that'll set targets for operators, buy up emergency energy from home and abroad, build generating capacity and local technology and expertise for sustainability.
Re: Nigeria : The Land Of Promised Electricity. by Mariory(m): 1:54pm On Jul 16, 2007
initiator:

@denex when the standard of living is below the law, breaking the law becomes imperative.

How can the standard of living be below the law? Sounds like an excuse to me.
Re: Nigeria : The Land Of Promised Electricity. by laudate: 5:42pm On Jul 16, 2007
P.H.C.N - Power (with) holding Company of Nigeria

P.H.C.N - Please Hold Candles, Now.

P.H.C.N - Problem Has Changed Name.

To be frank & sincere, anyone who can solve all the wahala of electricity generation in Naija, should win the award of Man (or Woman) of The Year!! Can you imagine, even the GSM networks are begginning to blame NEPA oh sorry, PHCN, for the congestion of their networks, and the rate of dropped calls! angry
Re: Nigeria : The Land Of Promised Electricity. by denex: 5:49pm On Jul 16, 2007
@initiator

it is good that you're suggesting this now, 3 years after it came into implementation.

The standard of living is below the law? Please it's not every human being that has the gift of wordplay. You'd rather the standard of living went above the law?

(1) (Reply)

United States Governor Admits Extramarital Affair After Going Awol / Breaking! Horror In Nigeria As Oil Tanker Explodes: Death Toll 80 And Rising / The Fulani Aristocracy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.