Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,473 members, 7,836,870 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:51 PM

Why Do Nigerians Eat Suya At Nightfall? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Do Nigerians Eat Suya At Nightfall? (652 Views)

Pictorial Illustration Of How Nigerians Eat Rice / Why Do Nigerians Eat Suya At Nightfall? The REAL DEAL / 'You Will Think Twice About Eating Suya Meat After Seeing This'. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Eat Suya At Nightfall? by TigerFoods: 3:34pm On Jun 25, 2021
Suya is a friendly Northern Nigerian Street Barbecue. Yes, we call it friendly because of its affordability and acceptability across the nation. Nearly, every Nigerian have eaten this delicacy. Suya is basically spicy meat made with skewered beef, ram or chicken; kidney, liver and tripe are also used. This Northern Street food is widely enjoyed in every part of the country. It’s weird to note that Suya is prepared only in the evenings and by Northerners, we call ‘Mallams’. People believe that the best time to enjoy Suya is only at sundown. It’s like an unwritten culture. Even though you crave it now, you will have to wait till dusk to have a taste of its sumptuousness. Anyways whoever introduced the selling of this spicy meat only at nightfall deserves an accolade. We are sure you are wondering why Mallams wait till nightfall as the perfect time to sell this spicy street beef. The answer to your curiosity lies here.

Suya is more attractive at dusk
The sight of well-arranged glossy grilled meat can get anyone drooling. That sight is heavenly. Even if you didn’t think of buying suya after the hustle and bustle of the day, when you sight the glossy grilled meat, your taste bud goes agog. Then when you get close, it’s hard to resist the aroma, you may find yourself ordering for more than you planned to.

Evenings are Time for Hangout
Since Suya is a snack that pairs with just about anything, what better time to grab it than the evenings after the hustle and bustle of the day. Evening is a perfect time to relax after close of daily activities. People take advantage of this and hang out at their favourite fun spot where they gulp their drinks with suya. We also have bachelors buy suya, head home and add them to noodles for dinner. So, for the culture, Suya is best sold at nightfall. It’s like asking why the Champions League is played at night…lol

Preparation Takes Time
The procedure of making Suya is quite lengthy. The Mallam does everything himself; he shops the meat fresh daily, slices, skewers and spices the beef. He allows it to marinate for some hours. And when the marinade is ready, he begins to grill them. This process can take up the entire day. The longer the marinade, the spicer the beef.

The Daytime are for Other Hustle
The Mallam possibly has other businesses to attend to during the daytime, asides from selling Barbecue at nightfall. Whatever he makes as income, he reinvests in the Suya business. As time goes on, he may give all his attention to the hustle that profits him the most, then rest during the daytime.

It is a Norm
Nigerians are quick to accept a norm. They find it unusual for any Mallam to sell Suya during the daytime. Changing to what they accept as a norm may be a hard thing to do. They will hardly patronise any mallam that sells Suya in the afternoon.

Hot Stand/Weather
The Grilling spot is hot for any Mallam to stand there for such a long time. Though some of them may want to sell Suya during the day, the Nigerian weather is not conducive for them to do so. They rather do that at sunset for convenience.

Asides from Suya, are there any other street food that tastes better at night? Gist us here << https://www.tigerfoods.com/food-and-drinks/1-25/

Follow us on all social media platform @thetigerfoods

1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Suya At Nightfall? by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jun 25, 2021
I grew up in an area where time of day didn't really matter when it came to making suya; the suya grillers/makers/sellers were always out and about their businesses at almost any time of the day- whether morning, noon, evening or dead in the night. The patronage was insane.

That was somewhere in Lagos West by the way. I miss that part of town.

I never really liked the snack personally. All things meat... I detest.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Suya At Nightfall? by The5DME(m): 4:52pm On Jun 25, 2021
Na night Dem dey do am na!!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Suya At Nightfall? by TigerFoods: 5:20pm On Jun 25, 2021
Is there a reason you didn't like the meat?
mansakhalifa:
I grew up in an area where time of day didn't really matter when it came to making suya; the suya grillers/makers/sellers were always out and about their businesses at almost any time of the day- whether morning, noon, evening or dead in the night. The patronage was insane.

Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Suya At Nightfall? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jun 25, 2021
TigerFoods:
Is there a reason you didn't like the meat?

Two actually...

1. Blood

2. The odour
Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Suya At Nightfall? by mariahAngel(f): 5:23pm On Jun 25, 2021
mansakhalifa:

Are you a vegetarian?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Suya At Nightfall? by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jun 25, 2021
mariahAngel:

Are you a vegetarian?

Yes.

Ever since I was 3.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Suya At Nightfall? by TigerFoods: 9:33am On Jun 26, 2021
Wow that's nice.
mansakhalifa:

Yes.

Ever since I was 3.

Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Suya At Nightfall? by Nobody: 9:43am On Jun 26, 2021
TigerFoods:
Wow that's nice.

Not so nice when people tag you 'weird'.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Suya At Nightfall? by mariahAngel(f): 10:34am On Jun 26, 2021
mansakhalifa:

Not so nice when people tag you 'weird'.

grin

Me, I thought you were hemophobic. Are you?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Suya At Nightfall? by Elsueno: 12:44pm On Jun 26, 2021
mansakhalifa:

Yes.

Ever since I was 3.

So u only eat "vegetables" . U will see a well garnished baked turkey , well done staked or chicken pepper soup & go like "Nah. am a vegetarian, I don't eat meat"

Do u even eat egg & fish...... especially egg, cause it's technically meat

Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Suya At Nightfall? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jun 26, 2021
mariahAngel:

grin

Me, I thought you were hemophobic. Are you?

Not necessarily...

It's just that I will never eat whatever has blood in it.

But I am not afraid of the red liquid. Matter of fact, I do some blood sport myself- sometimes. But I won't eat whatever it is that I get to kill.

(1) (Reply)

Bun Machine | Commercial Stuffed Buns Making Machine / Should You Actually Put Garlic In Foods Or Not? This Will Shock You / How Can A Cup Of Of Rice Be Sold #200

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.