Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

What Is Afrocentrism? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is Afrocentrism? (193 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Is Afrocentrism? by Onionpurple: 8:20pm On Jun 25, 2021
I'm not asking this question in bad faith. I'm genuinely curious as to what Afrocentrism entails. What got me curious, was the claim that Black people are part of the indigenous population of every continet in the world. Is there some truth to this? I have heard critics debunk the the whole movement and give evidence that the pictures used to support Afrocentrism are photoshopped. I even saw a post on quora who called the movement a gross rewriting of history. Is Afrocentrism just another black supremacist agenda?

I personally think the whole focus on black people being indigenous to white countries, instead of appreciating Ancient black civilizations of Africa a bit sus. Nonetheles, If you're a Afrocentrist, I'll honestly like to know your thoughts on Afrocentrism.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Afrocentrism? by Jake420: 11:47pm On Jun 25, 2021
I know the first human life seen outside of Africa was in Georgia, Europe. By the way do you a Nigerian consider yourself black or African? Just a question been on my mind on whether people of African heritage without any white population should accept the term black if was used by a foreigner
Re: What Is Afrocentrism? by Onionpurple: 8:37am On Jun 26, 2021
Jake420:
I know the first human life seen outside of Africa was in Georgia, Europe. By the way do you a Nigerian consider yourself black or African? Just a question been on my mind on whether people of African heritage without any white population should accept the term black if was used by a foreigner
I consider myself as both. On international social media platforms, I see myself as black and I will follow pages or accounts focused on black skin or black hair. Though it's just a skin colour to me, the term African describes me better. Especially, since black often means African American and is sometimes not inclusive of Africans. I believe Africans can't reject the term black anymore, that ship has sailed. Africa is synonymous to black now. A foreigner calling me black here in Nigeria will sound weird, but being African and black has become so intertwined, that Africans of middle Eastern decent are not really seen as Africans (case study Moroccans and Algerians). People can hardly have a conversation about black history without bringing up Africa.
This is why I'm so bothered about Afrocentrism . As an African and Nigerian, I'm very content with my heritage. I may be wrong but the movement seems to me, like people rejecting African heritage to focus on other continents because they feel African heritage isn't good enough.
Back to your question, even though I consider myself as both, being “black” isn't a huge part of my identity, Being African on the other hand is . This is a tricky question honestly. I've seen people on social media posit that Africans shouldn't be called black. I think that's odd, we are black, our blackness is just devoid of some of the problematic connotations that come with bearing the tag. E.g Racism

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians Discuss Naija: PMB Medical Travel Again, Tinubu For President? / Osinbajo’s Integrity And The Rest Of Them / My Sincere Advice To My Fellow Southerners.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.