Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,396 members, 7,830,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:58 PM

Southern Govs Acting Like Separatists- Sen Abdullahi Adamu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Southern Govs Acting Like Separatists- Sen Abdullahi Adamu (1227 Views)

I Am Not Aware That The APC Lost In Osun - Sen. Abdullahi Adamu / Miyetti Allah To Southern Govs: Let’s Reach A Compromise On Open Grazing / Sen. Abdullahi Adamu Removed His Face Mask, Sneezes Into The Air (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Southern Govs Acting Like Separatists- Sen Abdullahi Adamu by November1857(m): 9:28am On Jun 28, 2021
Southern govs acting like separatists- Sen Abdullahi Adamu

Says Secessionists’ agitators free to go

Southern governors at their recent meeting in Asaba, the Delta State capital, as part of measures to address insecurity in the region had banned open grazing and also called on the President Muhammadu Buhari to restructure the country.

Responding to the communiqué of the Southern governors the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, SAN, described the ban as unconstitutional. He said, “It is as good as saying, perhaps, maybe, the northern governors coming together to say they prohibit spare parts trading in the North.”
In an interview with journalists in Abuja over the weekend, former governor of Nasarawa state and now Senator representing Nasarawa west took a swipe at southern governors describing yheir ban on open grazing as actions of separatists.
See excerpt of interview below:

Opposition of southern governors to open grazing
The southern governors are sounding like a broken record. You know what a broken record does? It cracks. I expected them to be more educated people with the responsibility of governance. Each of those governors is under an oath of loyalty, and of preservation of the sovereignty of this country. That means that each of them is duty-bound to stay away from any act, or word that has the tendency to be perceived as being separatists.

I was a governor for eight years, and I know what The Governors’ Forum is because I headed it for five of my eight years in office. Before that, I was chairman of the Northern Governors’ Forum. So, the secretariat that you see, and the bureaucracy were set up during my time.

But those that took over from us began to have a situation because we are in a democracy, and people will give to the president, shopping lists from their different zones. There are people in the cabinet, the National Economic Council, and the National Council of States, who once they get themselves out there, begin to talk for their states or their zones only.

Before the Asaba Accord, there was a meeting of all the state governors, and about 36 of them were there. And less than a week after that meeting, some people came out and claim to be members of the Southern Governors Forum. Really, there is nothing wrong with regional bodies, but these governors know the constitution, and they know that every Nigerian has the right of movement, association, and the right to pursue legitimate goals. However, if these governors are saying no to cattle routes and open grazing, what are the alternatives that they have provided? If northern governors come together and take a position, what will happen? What right have you to tell Nigerians not to move freely? If northern groups also say no to southern businesses in their domain, how will that end up?
There are killings of northerners going on in the South, but if the North decides to retaliate, we will call it genocide. What is happening to us? We only know about problems, but not solutions. People are openly calling for a break up of the country.

Buhari should not take all the blame
It is my first time since coming of age that somebody will just get up and say anything about the government and go scot-free. A lot of people are daily sabotaging this government, including those who are under oath. There are also those who are willing and lurking by the corner to do bad things, who now have got the leverage since they now have people that are even in government, but are not showing satisfaction, loyalty, patriotism. So, what do you expect?

These are some of the issues that have joined forces to place us where we are today, and nobody can single-handedly, no matter what power you give him, get us out of this mess. All Nigerians must be ready to get the country back on track. This is not to say that Buhari’s government is blameless. I am not suggesting that at all. What I am saying is that we are contributing more to creating problems for the government than what we are doing to solve the problems created by the government. This government is our government; it was elected. No matter what we say. The National Assembly has members from the PDP, APGA, YPP, and the APC. So, everybody is there. Indeed, there are people from every part of this country in the National Assembly and in the Federal Executive Council (FEC). Buhari cannot take all the blame. The idea behind every state having a member in the FEC is for them to bring value and add to Buhari’s capacity. But where are they, and what are they saying today? Is there anything in this country that says that a minister cannot talk? If a governor can talk, can’t ministers also talk? But everybody is just folding his/her hands, and unfortunately for us, Buhari is not the talking type. If he were to open up, you would wish you were down the drain. But God has given him the capacity to absorb. It is part of the characteristics of a leader. Yes, there are certain things that have happened that he was supposed to react and respond to, but we have people who are not patient. You see a problem today and you want a solution today. I don’t want to sound like I am justifying what you may see as a failure, but I am giving my thoughts as to why I think we are where we are, and why I think most Nigerians who have the responsibility are not living up to expectations.
If I am in government, you expect something from me. I am also part of the government and cannot exonerate myself. Most of us that are educated, even if we went to missionary schools, benefitted in one way or the other from the government’s contribution to our education. So, there is a contribution that the government has made in preparing us to be where we are today. And as patriotic citizens, one would expect some level of concern, and the concern would not be genuine if we become critics. Even a critic can be positively critical, but where it is just a matter of picking whatever you want to pick and then throw it out without caring about the implications, it is not good. It is just bad.

Nigeria’s problems didn’t start Buhari
When you’re talking of somebody’s leadership qualities, you don’t just pass judgment. We have the misfortune of battling Boko Haram insurgency alongside other forms of security challenges. It is unfortunate. We must get one fact very clear. This thing didn’t start with Buhari. I cannot deny that there are a few cases, and in fact, an increase in general insecurity. That will be unfair. But the major problem is the failure of state administrations to take up the issue of security seriously. Just like Buhari, every governor has taken an oath to protect the lives and property of the citizens. They get money from the Federation Account and also generate revenues from their states. These are the facts. We agree that the central government needs to handle the issue, but states have to play complementary roles in tackling the issues too. Go and take an inventory of the number of states that are paying salaries today. This is not just about Buhari. States are not paying salaries even with the Paris Club refunds and others that they got. If you have small problems from the various states over time, they aggregate and become big problems. Suddenly, they refer to the problems as Buhari’s problems. Every state government has a responsibility to provide for its people. Nobody said that Buhari is an angel; nobody also said because Buhari is now president, every state governor should abandon his responsibilities.

There is nothing new about restructuring
A few years ago, people were not talking about the breakup of the country, Why now? Political leaders are in support of what their people are doing. They cannot speak up and challenge them. They just lament; they want the president to handle it. They are talking about restructuring. What is new there? When you and I know that we passed a law in the National Assembly trying to free states’ assemblies and judiciaries. Is Buhari responsible for that?
Were efforts made by the National Assembly to free local government councils, states’ assemblies, and state judiciaries part of moves to restructure the polity? That was part of a restructuring. What is even this restructuring? Those saying it wants us to take a look at the exclusive legislative list. We don’t have to fight over restructuring. We have two chambers that can handle that. Both were elected, and this is our job. If you’re dissatisfied with the issues in Nigeria, you can bring these issues to the National Assembly. They don’t want that, they want to blame the president. There is nowhere that the president can alter the constitution. He can’t even give an order for that to be done. And these agitators are educated, people. Take the issues to us and Buhari will assent to it. We keep saying that Nigerians didn’t write the constitution. Was it Buhari that wrote it? Why is everybody calling Buhari? It’s sickening. There is a limit. Not that we can’t talk. We have the capacity to do more. But what we won’t take lightly, is for any part of this country to think that they have a louder voice. That is not true. When the North starts talking, maybe there will be sense. If we want this country to stay on, we will. I speak as a Nigerian of northern extraction. I will defend that as long as I live. Those who want to leave can go. We will continue to exist as one Nigeria. Let’s see where they will go. Separatists are taking laws into their hands and we are tolerating them. The next thing they would shout about human rights. We need to stop. It won’t do us any good. No country has survived two civil wars. Army generals have told me that. We must watch out and guide against another war. We should be careful about what we say. These agitators can go. But we will remain.

https://daybreak.ng/2021/06/27/southern-govs-acting-like-separatists-sen-abdullahi-adamu/

Re: Southern Govs Acting Like Separatists- Sen Abdullahi Adamu by Fahdiga1: 9:29am On Jun 28, 2021
Imagine this elderly Almajiri who was fortunate to have found himself on the rich side of life simply because of massive looting of Niger delta oil money by his fellow oblong headed terrorists up north in the name of 'one Nigeriya'. Would northern Nigeria have tolerated if for instance Igbos living in the north starts killing and destroying properties of their host in the name of rearing cattle? Would northerners have tolerated a Nigerian president of Yoruba extraction threatening northerners to cede their land to the Yorubas for cattle ranching which is a private business or else they loose their lives? So this demented man of Abdullahi Adamu wants southern governors to fold their hands and watch as terrorist Fulanis are massacring their people and do nothing about it. I blame the southerners who have been timid all this while thereby making the terrorist infested north to see them as conquered people. Enough of this cowardice from the south

6 Likes

Re: Southern Govs Acting Like Separatists- Sen Abdullahi Adamu by Gondonu: 9:33am On Jun 28, 2021
While all their northern colleagues are bandits and BH sponsors.Even the north was on a separatist mission in the post July 1966 era but revert to default mode when the dangers of doing that was explained to them by the American and British.
Re: Southern Govs Acting Like Separatists- Sen Abdullahi Adamu by System202: 9:34am On Jun 28, 2021
Hmm
Re: Southern Govs Acting Like Separatists- Sen Abdullahi Adamu by mrvitalis(m): 9:40am On Jun 28, 2021
Every Nigeria has right to do legitimate business anywhere but I can't sale pork n beer in most northern states ?

Bros if u want to do cow business buy land n do it simple ....

I blame southern governors ...if I was a governor simple

Give one week or 2 weeks notice ...after that give youth the mandate to kill every cow roaming in their community ...simple

1 Like

Re: Southern Govs Acting Like Separatists- Sen Abdullahi Adamu by donbachi(m): 9:41am On Jun 28, 2021
All dis plenty talks..for Just "no open grazing in the south" as agreed by southern governors.
Re: Southern Govs Acting Like Separatists- Sen Abdullahi Adamu by Nobody: 9:42am On Jun 28, 2021
Islamic Terrorists Iswap have now officially joined forces with Allah apostles Boko Haram

This joint Islamic Jihad force is now massively recruiting bandits into the Islamic Terrorists fold

When Terrorist Gumi said Bandits would soon be Boko Haram the gullible joked with it

When Boko Haram was already having caliphate in far Niger state which only bandit controlled the gullible laughed it off

Keep laughing it off and saying jihad is only a Northern problem, in the south today people can't go to farm, people can't travel because of satanic fulani herdsmen

We are already under seige, Fulani terrorists are the next to be incorporated in the jihad fold

Do you still think this is a joke, or you rely on the state security already complicit with fulani Terrorists

1 Like

Re: Southern Govs Acting Like Separatists- Sen Abdullahi Adamu by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 9:43am On Jun 28, 2021
Senator

So boko and their sister asap terrorists are what? Kindergarten pupils with lunchbox and feeding bottle abi?
Re: Southern Govs Acting Like Separatists- Sen Abdullahi Adamu by Nobody: 9:44am On Jun 28, 2021
It is my first time since coming of age that somebody will just get up and say anything about the government and go scot-free.

See why I don't like these old fools, how can you say this in 2021.We are not just compatible.
Help me tell this dolt that it is notcompulsory that we stay together as one nation.
Na by force...

1 Like

Re: Southern Govs Acting Like Separatists- Sen Abdullahi Adamu by ceejay10(m): 9:53am On Jun 28, 2021
While Northern Govs are acting like terrorists and bandits. Ode.

1 Like

Re: Southern Govs Acting Like Separatists- Sen Abdullahi Adamu by FakeUnity: 10:02am On Jun 28, 2021
Abokey na Abokey no matter their level of exposure. He is enjoying the democracy fought for largely by southerners, some of whom were even killed in the course of activism but wondering why people shouldn't be arrested and killed for freely airing their opinions about the terrorist government of the buhari and his abokey lackeys.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southern Govs Acting Like Separatists- Sen Abdullahi Adamu by Hundredfold4lif(m): 11:01am On Jun 28, 2021
Always talks like a Blood Sucker!

1 Like

Re: Southern Govs Acting Like Separatists- Sen Abdullahi Adamu by gratefulheart(m): 11:32am On Jun 28, 2021
November1857:

Southern governors at their recent meeting in Asaba, the Delta State capital, as part of measures to address insecurity in the region had banned open grazing and also called on the President Muhammadu Buhari to restructure the country.

Responding to the communiqué of the Southern governors the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, SAN, described the ban as unconstitutional. He said, “It is as good as saying, perhaps, maybe, the northern governors coming together to say they prohibit spare parts trading in the North.”
In an interview with journalists in Abuja over the weekend, former governor of Nasarawa state and now Senator representing Nasarawa west took a swipe at southern governors describing yheir ban on open grazing as actions of separatists.

The southern governors are sounding like a broken record. You know what a broken record does? It cracks. I expected them to be more educated people with the responsibility of governance. Each of those governors is under an oath of loyalty, and of preservation of the sovereignty of this country. That means that each of them is duty-bound to stay away from any act, or word that has the tendency to be perceived as being separatists.

I was a governor for eight years, and I know what The Governors’ Forum is because I headed it for five of my eight years in office. Before that, I was chairman of the Northern Governors’ Forum. So, the secretariat that you see, and the bureaucracy were set up during my time.

But those that took over from us began to have a situation because we are in a democracy, and people will give to the president, shopping lists from their different zones. There are people in the cabinet, the National Economic Council, and the National Council of States, who once they get themselves out there, begin to talk for their states or their zones only.

Before the Asaba Accord, there was a meeting of all the state governors, and about 36 of them were there. And less than a week after that meeting, some people came out and claim to be members of the Southern Governors Forum. Really, there is nothing wrong with regional bodies, but these governors know the constitution, and they know that every Nigerian has the right of movement, association, and the right to pursue legitimate goals. However, if these governors are saying no to cattle routes and open grazing, what are the alternatives that they have provided? If northern governors come together and take a position, what will happen? What right have you to tell Nigerians not to move freely? If northern groups also say no to southern businesses in their domain, how will that end up?
There are killings of northerners going on in the South, but if the North decides to retaliate, we will call it genocide. What is happening to us? We only know about problems, but not solutions. People are openly calling for a break up of the country.

It is my first time since coming of age that somebody will just get up and say anything about the government and go scot-free. A lot of people are daily sabotaging this government, including those who are under oath. There are also those who are willing and lurking by the corner to do bad things, who now have got the leverage since they now have people that are even in government, but are not showing satisfaction, loyalty, patriotism. So, what do you expect?

These are some of the issues that have joined forces to place us where we are today, and nobody can single-handedly, no matter what power you give him, get us out of this mess. All Nigerians must be ready to get the country back on track. This is not to say that Buhari’s government is blameless. I am not suggesting that at all. What I am saying is that we are contributing more to creating problems for the government than what we are doing to solve the problems created by the government. This government is our government; it was elected. No matter what we say. The National Assembly has members from the PDP, APGA, YPP, and the APC. So, everybody is there. Indeed, there are people from every part of this country in the National Assembly and in the Federal Executive Council (FEC). Buhari cannot take all the blame. The idea behind every state having a member in the FEC is for them to bring value and add to Buhari’s capacity. But where are they, and what are they saying today? Is there anything in this country that says that a minister cannot talk? If a governor can talk, can’t ministers also talk? But everybody is just folding his/her hands, and unfortunately for us, Buhari is not the talking type. If he were to open up, you would wish you were down the drain. But God has given him the capacity to absorb. It is part of the characteristics of a leader. Yes, there are certain things that have happened that he was supposed to react and respond to, but we have people who are not patient. You see a problem today and you want a solution today. I don’t want to sound like I am justifying what you may see as a failure, but I am giving my thoughts as to why I think we are where we are, and why I think most Nigerians who have the responsibility are not living up to expectations.
If I am in government, you expect something from me. I am also part of the government and cannot exonerate myself. Most of us that are educated, even if we went to missionary schools, benefitted in one way or the other from the government’s contribution to our education. So, there is a contribution that the government has made in preparing us to be where we are today. And as patriotic citizens, one would expect some level of concern, and the concern would not be genuine if we become critics. Even a critic can be positively critical, but where it is just a matter of picking whatever you want to pick and then throw it out without caring about the implications, it is not good. It is just bad.

When you’re talking of somebody’s leadership qualities, you don’t just pass judgment. We have the misfortune of battling Boko Haram insurgency alongside other forms of security challenges. It is unfortunate. We must get one fact very clear. This thing didn’t start with Buhari. I cannot deny that there are a few cases, and in fact, an increase in general insecurity. That will be unfair. But the major problem is the failure of state administrations to take up the issue of security seriously. Just like Buhari, every governor has taken an oath to protect the lives and property of the citizens. They get money from the Federation Account and also generate revenues from their states. These are the facts. We agree that the central government needs to handle the issue, but states have to play complementary roles in tackling the issues too. Go and take an inventory of the number of states that are paying salaries today. This is not just about Buhari. States are not paying salaries even with the Paris Club refunds and others that they got. If you have small problems from the various states over time, they aggregate and become big problems. Suddenly, they refer to the problems as Buhari’s problems. Every state government has a responsibility to provide for its people. Nobody said that Buhari is an angel; nobody also said because Buhari is now president, every state governor should abandon his responsibilities.

A few years ago, people were not talking about the breakup of the country, Why now? Political leaders are in support of what their people are doing. They cannot speak up and challenge them. They just lament; they want the president to handle it. They are talking about restructuring. What is new there? When you and I know that we passed a law in the National Assembly trying to free states’ assemblies and judiciaries. Is Buhari responsible for that?
Were efforts made by the National Assembly to free local government councils, states’ assemblies, and state judiciaries part of moves to restructure the polity? That was part of a restructuring. What is even this restructuring? Those saying it wants us to take a look at the exclusive legislative list. We don’t have to fight over restructuring. We have two chambers that can handle that. Both were elected, and this is our job. If you’re dissatisfied with the issues in Nigeria, you can bring these issues to the National Assembly. They don’t want that, they want to blame the president. There is nowhere that the president can alter the constitution. He can’t even give an order for that to be done. And these agitators are educated, people. Take the issues to us and Buhari will assent to it. We keep saying that Nigerians didn’t write the constitution. Was it Buhari that wrote it? Why is everybody calling Buhari? It’s sickening. There is a limit. Not that we can’t talk. We have the capacity to do more. But what we won’t take lightly, is for any part of this country to think that they have a louder voice. That is not true. When the North starts talking, maybe there will be sense. If we want this country to stay on, we will. I speak as a Nigerian of northern extraction. I will defend that as long as I live. Those who want to leave can go. We will continue to exist as one Nigeria. Let’s see where they will go. Separatists are taking laws into their hands and we are tolerating them. The next thing they would shout about human rights. We need to stop. It won’t do us any good. No country has survived two civil wars. Army generals have told me that. We must watch out and guide against another war. We should be careful about what we say. These agitators can go. But we will remain.

https://daybreak.ng/2021/06/27/southern-govs-acting-like-separatists-sen-abdullahi-adamu/

Re: Southern Govs Acting Like Separatists- Sen Abdullahi Adamu by gratefulheart(m): 11:34am On Jun 28, 2021
This corrupt maggot is a fool. Is there no Northener governors forum? Where is the hypocrisy coming from? They are now afraid because the south is one.

November1857:

1 Like

Re: Southern Govs Acting Like Separatists- Sen Abdullahi Adamu by Guestlander: 11:39am On Jun 28, 2021
These people are funny. He said Nigerians should be able to move freely. I agree, but cows are not Nigerians, at least not yet. I have never heard anyone say Nigerians cannot move freely within Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Southern Govs Acting Like Separatists- Sen Abdullahi Adamu by Ekpeitit(m): 11:43am On Jun 28, 2021
November1857:

Re: Southern Govs Acting Like Separatists- Sen Abdullahi Adamu by Ekpeitit(m): 11:45am On Jun 28, 2021
Wow,so even an educated Fulani man doesn't understand that you can't take your cows to eat and destroy someone's farm?
What is wrong with these people?
I think it's time for everyone to go back to their state, enough is enough.
I pity those Biafran people who are all over the North doing business.
Time to go back home .

3 Likes

Re: Southern Govs Acting Like Separatists- Sen Abdullahi Adamu by Ballack1(m): 12:29pm On Jun 28, 2021
Fulani are minority in Nigeria
Re: Southern Govs Acting Like Separatists- Sen Abdullahi Adamu by moriss33(m): 12:56pm On Jun 28, 2021
Seriously this old fool needs to be slapped.
Humans are allowed to move freely & open grazing is banned....what's too hard to understand?
Southerners can't sell alcohol in the north but dia cows can enter peoples farmland to eat & destroy crops ??
Is his brain smelling??
Citizens shouldn't talk about bad governance....we should just shut up & take it like that...with the level of insecurity everywhere.
Mehn truly these north people need sense
Tru tru aboki na aboki...dress him up however

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

UK Warns : 2023 May Not Be Feasible With Rising Conflicts, Insecurity In Nigeria / Why We Need To Give Igbo The Presidency / Possible Presidential Candidate In 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.