Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,280 members, 7,815,477 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:00 PM

Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities (1175 Views)

PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS / Ijaw, Itsekiri Unite Against Oil Companies, 20 Years After Warri War / Apc Cannot Afford A Fresh Legislative Coup Through Ali Ndume! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:18pm On Jul 02, 2021
Yesterday the Senate finally passed the "petroleum industry bill" thirteen years after it first graced the National Assembly chambers.

Although several people have been celebrating the action of the Senate as victory for oil producing communities albeit ignorantly, a look into the document passed by the Senate simply shows a democratic coup d' tat against host communities and a pyrrhic victory for indigenous people that suffer from pollution and degradation of their environment due to oil exploration of their communities.

Firstly, the Senate redefined host communities to include areas where petroleum pipelines pass through contrary to logical reasoning. In the original bill of 2008, host communities are oil producing communities and communities that hosts major oil facilities/installations.

The redefinition of host communities by the Senate simply means that a community in Jigawa or Kano state with pipeline running through it will now enjoy same host community status with a community in Akwa Ibom or Bayelsa states whose soil hosts this oil. In other words, communities that do not produce oil will start enjoying benefit accrued to communities that actually produce oil simply because pipeline pass through their territories.

Furthermore, the Senate cut compensation to host communities from 5% that was in the original bill to 3%. How ridiculous can this be? While I have been of the position that the proposed 5% is ridiculous, the Senate further slashed it to a meagre 3%.

In addition the Senate systematically allocated lump sum of the profit from Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC, to service Frontier Exploration annually that are located in the north. Meaning, they will enjoy over 30% of NNPC profit annually even when they produce zero oil for now.

It is unfortunate that Nigeria is still in the situation of robbing Abraham to satisfy Ibrahim.

This PIB is nothing but a coup against Ijaw nation and every other oil producing ethnic nationalities in Nigeria. It is pyrrhic to say the least and should be resisted.

Tonye Barcanista

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by AchalugoNwa(f): 9:20pm On Jul 02, 2021
na one after the other.

right now terrorist Buhari is facing igbos, Yorubas and middle belt

e go reach everybody
Re: Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by AGNESikpuNNU(f): 9:22pm On Jul 02, 2021
grin grin
Tonye, you will soon be treated in the language you will understand.
Re: Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by nlreserve: 9:22pm On Jul 02, 2021
AchalugoNwa:
na one after the other.

right now terrorist Buhari is facing igbos, Yorubas and middle belt

e go reach everybody
hahahaha!
The Niger Deltas are scared of the igbos
Re: Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by Ikwerelastborn: 9:23pm On Jul 02, 2021
The oil belongs to everyone in Nigeria I'm ikwerre and panNigeria

3 Likes

Re: Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by after4: 9:25pm On Jul 02, 2021
Yes, wey awa oyel crew, e don dey red oh. Make unah no forget say nah Igbos wan collect una oyel oh. Hope sey Asari dokubo know sey dem don cut unah money, abeg make somebody tall am say nah MNK cause am. This sense must fall on unah by force. Mumu people.
Awa oyeeeel!

3 Likes

Re: Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:26pm On Jul 02, 2021
AGNESikpuNNU:
grin grin
Tonye, you will soon be treated in the language you will understand.
Wetin I do na?
Re: Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by after4: 9:26pm On Jul 02, 2021
Of course, prodigal son.
Awa oyeeeeeel!

Ikwerelastborn:
The oil belongs to everyone in Nigeria I'm ikwerre and panNigeria
Re: Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by Plomo: 9:29pm On Jul 02, 2021
TonyeBarcanista:

Tonye Barcanista

Shey you guys were dancing that they arrested Nnmadi Kanu, that they raided Sunday Igboho?

These fulani people will deal with you.

1 Like

Re: Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:32pm On Jul 02, 2021
Plomo:

Shey you guys were dancing that they arrested Nnmadi Kanu, that they raided Sunday Igboho?

These fulani people will deal with you.

who be you guys na?
Re: Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by nthony10: 9:59pm On Jul 02, 2021
This is a welcome development, sokoto would soon be an oil producing state. We need to share the money equally as our oyel crew are too afraid to take their destiny.

Who will fight for them when they have demonized their very own.

1 Like

Re: Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by obiekunie01: 10:02pm On Jul 02, 2021
ZAMFARA HAS THE 8TH LARGEST GOLD DEPOSIT IN AFRICA AND ONE OF THE PUREST [8+ GRAMS PER TONNE] AND MOST ESPENSIVE GOLD IN AFRICA - IN FACT THE GOLD DEPOSIT IN ZAMFARA AND THE SOLID MINERAL DEPOSIT IN NASARAWA STATE WILL BE ENOUGH TO KEEP THE NIGERIAN ECONOMY VERY HEALTHY FOR 200 YEARS.

PLS TELL ME WHEN YOUR STATE GOVT, HAS EVER RECIEVED ALLOCATION FROM GOLD SALES? AND YET GOLD IS BEING MINED EVERYDAY IN ZAMFARA AND SOLID MINERALS MINED IN NASRAWA EVERYDAY.

NDI SOUTH KEEP FOOLING YOURSELVES AND BE THINKING YOU ARE SMART AND YET CATTLE HERDERS ARE ANUSFUKING YOU PEOPLE EVERYDAY!

1 Like

Re: Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by obiekunie01: 10:21pm On Jul 02, 2021
TonyeBarcanista:

Wetin I do na?

treating you in the language you understand bro!

sebi una say na igbos be una problem - una say we want to steal una oyeel!

well fuanis will not just steal your oyel, they will kill all of una join!

if only you can read the whole bill - i tell you, you will start to cry! in fact whn i saw it, i wondered if you guys dont have representatives!

sebi all of una dey happy say kanu is captured therefore all problems of Nigeria is gone! UNA GO SEE HELL FIRE! MARK MY WORDS!

OH! LEST I FORGET!

AS YOU ARE CRYING FOR YOUR WORTHLESS OIL, PLS WATCHOUT FOR THE MAIN RAPE OF YOUR HOMELAND IN THE GUISE OF WATERWAY BILL WHICH BUBU IS SO ANXIOUS TO SIGN BEFORE 2022 - WHEN THAT IS SIGNED, YOU WILL BE SHOT FOR FISHING IN THAT RIVER AT YOUR BACKYARD WITHOUT TAKING PERMISSION FROM FULANIS!

HAVE YOU WONDERED WHY WIKE ALL OF SUDDEN BECAME MAZI'S SPOKES FRIEND?

onwebedi ife unu fulu! unu amaro ka ndi fula si kwadoro unu!

4 Likes

Re: Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by Agbegbaorogboye: 11:15pm On Jul 02, 2021
Spot on

This PIB is a coup for lack of a stronger word.

The so-called commercialization of NNPC was done in name only. I mean, what's the point of NNPC Ltd when govt is the only shareholder. I always say this northerners are not smart. It's the greedy south that are their enablers
Re: Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:21pm On Jul 02, 2021
obiekunie01:

if only you can read the whole bill - i tell you, you will start to cry! in fact whn i saw it, i wondered if you guys dont have representatives!

sebi all of una dey happy say kanu is captured therefore all problems of Nigeria is gone! UNA GO SEE HELL FIRE! MARK MY WORDS!

OH! LEST I FORGET!

AS YOU ARE CRYING FOR YOUR WORTHLESS OIL, PLS WATCHOUT FOR THE MAIN RAPE OF YOUR HOMELAND IN THE GUISE OF WATERWAY BILL WHICH BUBU IS SO ANXIOUS TO SIGN BEFORE 2022 - WHEN THAT IS SIGNED, YOU WILL BE SHOT FOR FISHING IN THAT RIVER AT YOUR BACKYARD WITHOUT TAKING PERMISSION FROM FULANIS!

Baba make you chill na
Re: Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by kponkedenge(m): 11:21pm On Jul 02, 2021
TonyeBarcanista:
Yesterday the Senate finally passed the "petroleum industry bill" thirteen years after it first graced the National Assembly chambers.

Although several people have been celebrating the action of the Senate as victory for oil producing communities albeit ignorantly, a look into the document passed by the Senate simply shows a democratic coup d' tat against host communities and a pyrrhic victory for indigenous people that suffer from pollution and degradation of their environment due to oil exploration of their communities.

Firstly, the Senate redefined host communities to include areas where petroleum pipelines pass through contrary to logical reasoning. In the original bill of 2008, host communities are oil producing communities and communities that hosts major oil facilities/installations.

The redefinition of host communities by the Senate simply means that a community in Jigawa or Kano state with pipeline running through it will now enjoy same host community status with a community in Akwa Ibom or Bayelsa states whose soil hosts this oil. In other words, communities that do not produce oil will start enjoying benefit accrued to communities that actually produce oil simply because pipeline pass through their territories.

Furthermore, the Senate cut compensation to host communities from 5% that was in the original bill to 3%. How ridiculous can this be? While I have been of the position that the proposed 5% is ridiculous, the Senate further slashed it to a meagre 3%.

In addition the Senate systematically allocated lump sum of the profit from Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC, to service Frontier Exploration annually that are located in the north. Meaning, they will enjoy over 30% of NNPC profit annually even when they produce zero oil for now.

It is unfortunate that Nigeria is still in the situation of robbing Abraham to satisfy Ibrahim.

This PIB is nothing but a coup against Ijaw nation and every other oil producing ethnic nationalities in Nigeria. It is pyrrhic to say the least and should be resisted.

Tonye Barcanista

Ask yourself why members of the south blindly voted for it along with the North.... Is it that they didn't read through the bill... Or have their aides read it for them and explain it to them before voting?

Like people keep saying.....the problem of the south is the south.

2 Likes

Re: Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by DankemzI(m): 11:21pm On Jul 02, 2021
Has the documents been made public? So all the communities up north that has pipeline will now earn 3% for nothing, while our lands our being polluted down south
Re: Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by LamidiCownu: 11:22pm On Jul 02, 2021
I hope your analysis is true.
I was surprised when I heard about the passage of the much talked about PIB.
Those useful idiots in the 2 Chambers have never done anything for altruistic reason.
Crazy country

Why are the representatives of the Niger Delta quiet
Re: Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:22pm On Jul 02, 2021
Agbegbaorogboye:
Spot on

This PIB is a coup for lack of a stronger word.

The so-called commercialization of NNPC was done in name only. I mean, what's the point of NNPC Ltd when govt is the only shareholder. I always say this northerners are not smart. It's the greedy south that are their enablers
The whole thing is a fraud by the political elites alongside their southern collaborators.
Re: Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:23pm On Jul 02, 2021
DankemzI:
Has the documents been made public? So all the communities up north that has pipeline will now earn 3% for nothing, while our lands our being polluted down south
Baba it's so true. PANDEF (though them get their own wahala) has even condemned it.

1 Like

Re: Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:24pm On Jul 02, 2021
LamidiCownu:
I hope your analysis is true.
I was surprised when I heard about the passage of the much talked about PIB.
Those useful idiots in the 2 Chambers have never done anything for altruistic reason.
Crazy country
As in the urgent speed at which it was passed prompted my curiosity
Re: Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:30pm On Jul 02, 2021
kponkedenge:

Ask yourself why members of the south blindly voted for it along with the North.... Is it that they didn't read through the bill... Or have their aides read it for them and explain it to them before voting?

Like people keep saying.....the problem of the south is the south.

Fact
Re: Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by Jlow2: 11:30pm On Jul 02, 2021
This is worst than arresting igboho and nnamdi kanu
Re: Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by OdumegwuOjukwu: 11:49pm On Jul 02, 2021
TonyeBarcanista:

The whole thing is a fraud by the political elites alongside their southern collaborators.

Bros,
PIB is the least of our concern.

People are fighting for their liberation, you're fighting for a tiny 'percentage' of your wealth.

Carry go. Major in minor!

No one cares about little things like this. There are bigger fishes to fry!
Re: Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by obailala(m): 11:57pm On Jul 02, 2021
TonyeBarcanista:

Tonye Barcanista
Lol... The bolded bit of your message above is a perfect example of sensationalism... You just had to mention Kano and Jigawa to give the statement some emotional weight grin Please which communities have oil pipelines in Kano or Jigawa or even the entire north?

Regarding inclusion of pipeline host communities as beneficiaries of the PIB compensation, I hardy see how this redefinition of 'host communities' is a wrong call... and NO, it has nothing to do with the north cos 99.9% of the communities that benefit from this redefinition are also Niger-Delta communities.

The majority of oil spills we've had in the last few decades didnt exactly happen at communities hosting the oil wells; rather they happened along the way at pipeline rupture locations, which are far from the actual oil wells. In your opinion, would it still be a fair deal if the majority of communities suffering environmental degradation from spills are shut out of any compensation simply because they dont have oil wells?

2 Likes

Re: Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by unclenna(m): 12:21am On Jul 03, 2021
TonyeBarcanista:

Tonye Barcanista
Welcome. This is just d beginning. By d time d finish with u pple u will no longer have say
Re: Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by obailala(m): 12:32am On Jul 03, 2021
DankemzI:
Curious to know which communities up north actually have oil pipelines passing through them. The OP obviously mentioned Kano and Jigawa intenrionally to drag nerves (a.k.a sensationalism).

Redefinition of 'host community' to include communities hosting pipelines is a fair move in my opinion; and no, it has absolutely nothing to do with the north cos 99.99% of the additional communities to benefit from this redefinition are still Niger Delta communities. Oil spills and environmental degradation dont only happen at communities were there are oil wells. Indeed the majority of oil spills actually happen along the way where pipelines rupture, usually in other Niger Delta communities that dont seat oil wells.
Re: Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by TheSupleemLeada(m): 12:33am On Jul 03, 2021
The silence of the Niger Delta means they're okay with it and some big wigs have been settled.
Re: Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by caleboxylic: 12:42am On Jul 03, 2021
OdumegwuOjukwu:

Bros,

People are fighting for their liberation, you're fighting for a tiny 'percentage' of your wealth.

That's who they are. Very timid and myopic.

Let them keep fighting for percentages but for most of us ,we aren't interested in that anymore.

For those who have ears unlike MNK that has refused to listen,we have nothing in common with these minorities. We shouldn't fight for them again . Let's rape them continually with Yoruba and hausa.
Thereafter , we separate when the time for the dissolution of this country comes.

God bless Igbo nation.
God bless Alaigbo.

1 Like

Re: Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by IGBOSON1: 1:12am On Jul 03, 2021
obiekunie01:

OH! LEST I FORGET!

Hehehehehe grin grin grin

This is why i laugh at all these crafty buggers (like Buhari and his thick-headed minions on here) who say we should take any grievance we have to the national assembly! National assembly that's tilted in favour of the core muslim north.....that will always be the spoiler when any bill that benefits the south is to be voted on. They not only work against the interests of the south (out of sheer wickedness and a belief they own the country), but also use their unfair numbers to get extra unmerited advantages for themselves......as we can see with the passage of this useless PIB into law!

The dullness of southern members of the national assembly is another issue altogether! Where were the fuckers when that unfair bill was passed into law.....snoozing?
Re: Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:14pm On Jul 03, 2021
OdumegwuOjukwu:

Bros,

PIB may be least of your concern, it isn't least of ours

1 Like

Re: Senate's PIB Passage: A Legislative Coup Against Oil Producing Communities by OdumegwuOjukwu: 12:21pm On Jul 03, 2021
TonyeBarcanista:

PIB may be least of your concern, it isn't least of ours

That's true.

Cry your own cry them!

(1) (2) (Reply)

VIDEO: Bola Tinubu Will Never Be Nigeria President – Primate Ayodele / Former President Obasanjo Pictured Kneeling Down To Pay Homage To Olu Of Warri / Every Region Of Nigeria Had Gone Back To Their Master Plan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.