Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,077 members, 7,818,225 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:42 AM

How Do Insects Flys Inside A Fast Moving Vehicle? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Do Insects Flys Inside A Fast Moving Vehicle? (1600 Views)

Implications Of Having Sex Inside A Car / Snake Found Inside A Bus. / Christmas Cow Spotted Inside A Car In Port Harcourt (Pictures, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do Insects Flys Inside A Fast Moving Vehicle? by fineboynl(m): 5:30pm On Jul 04, 2021
By contrast A flying insect cannot match the speed of a moving car. Even a slowing moving car is not Match.

But a fly will be flying inside a moving vehicle even on high speed.

Has anyone observe this?
Re: How Do Insects Flys Inside A Fast Moving Vehicle? by illicit(m): 7:29pm On Jul 04, 2021
It's flying inside the car not outside the car

So it's speed doesn't match that of the car

The speed of the fly is relative to you not to the car

2 Likes

Re: How Do Insects Flys Inside A Fast Moving Vehicle? by adanny01(m): 10:04pm On Jul 04, 2021
Good question.

When a car moves every thing inside it moves at the same speed. This includes the air within the cabin. It is like the entire contents of the car becomes one with the car. Any part of the car or thing inside the car that has a different speed high or lower will be thrown around within or outside. This is what we feel during airplane take off, lift moving up or down etc

In fact, that is the reason for seatbelt, also why a child seat must be attached to the car else it becomes a projectile if the speed of the car suddenly changes.

This brings us to the fly question.

The principles of flying, there are 4 forces, 1 lift (push up), 2 gravity (pull down), 3 drag (pull backward) and 4 thrust (push foward).

Lift and gravity oppose each other as well as drag and thrust. Lift and thrust (push) must both be greater than their opposing forces (pull) for flight to happen.

A fly on a good day knows how to deal with all 4. However, in a moving car with a cabin, the air moves with the car along with the fly. This is normal because the car provides a shield (windshield) against drag. So the fly will not experience drag at all. The lack of drag is what allows the fly to fly. In a convertible car, the fly has a smaller space to fly normally, thats in front of the windshield or footwell where it can avoid drag. Thats why the fly cannot do its thing when you are on a motorcycle where there is no windshield. In other words the drag will be much higher than the fly's thrust.

Secondly, a fly will not be able to fly out of the car because the difference in drag from inside the car and outside seems like a wall that the fly cannot pass so it gets to a point where it knows it cannot fly to and it retreats back into the car where there is no drag.

Thirdly, most times you see a fly in the car, they seem confused, well, i guess they are because during acceleration or deceleration, the fly has to put more thrust to move forward or less to move back. This plays with their flying instincts just the way we feel fast acceleration and deceleration in cars, planes, lifts, escalator etc.

14 Likes

Re: How Do Insects Flys Inside A Fast Moving Vehicle? by silibaba: 11:21pm On Jul 04, 2021
adanny01:
Good question.

When a car moves every thing inside it moves at the same speed. This includes the air within the cabin. It is like the entire contents of the car becomes one with the car. Any part of the car or thing inside the car that has a different speed high or lower will be thrown around within or outside. This is what we feel during airplane take off, lift moving up or down etc

In fact, that is the reason for seatbelt, also why a child seat must be attached to the car else it becomes a projectile if the speed of the car suddenly changes.

The principles of flying, there are 4 forces, 1 lift (push up), 2 gravity (pull down), 3 drag (pull backward) and 4 thrust (push foward).

Lift and gravity oppose each other as well as drag and thrust. Lift and thrust (push) must both be greater than their opposing forces (pull) for flight to happen.

A fly on a good day knows how to deal with all 4. However, in a moving car with a cabin, the air moves with the car along with the fly. This is normal because the car provides a shield (windshield) against drag. So the fly will not experience drag at all. The lack of drag is what allows the fly to fly. In a convertible car, the fly has a smaller space to fly normally, thats in front of the windshield or footwell where it can avoid drag. Thats why the fly cannot do its thing when you are on a motorcycle where there is no windshield. In other words the drag will be much higher than the fly's thrust.

Secondly, a fly will not be able to fly out of the car because the difference in drag from inside the car and outside seems like a wall that the fly cannot pass so it gets to a point where it knows it cannot fly to and it retreats back into the car where there is no drag.

Thirdly, most times you see a fly in the car, they seem confused, well, i guess they are because during acceleration or deceleration, the fly has to put more thrust to move forward or less to move back. This plays with their flying instincts just the way we feel fast acceleration and deceleration in cars, planes, lifts, escalator etc.

keep on paranbulating grin

1 Like

Re: How Do Insects Flys Inside A Fast Moving Vehicle? by Inception(m): 12:05am On Jul 05, 2021
silibaba:

Let me shock you, he is not.

This is one of the brilliant explanations you can get regarding this phenomenon .

Nice one by the way, fellow Engineer.

4 Likes

Re: How Do Insects Flys Inside A Fast Moving Vehicle? by DoggoneDogg: 1:07am On Jul 05, 2021
Simple physics.
Law of relativity.

Go back to school.

3 Likes

Re: How Do Insects Flys Inside A Fast Moving Vehicle? by silibaba: 10:12am On Jul 05, 2021
Review yourself na smiley
Inception:

Let me shock you, he is not.

This is one of the brilliant explanations you can get regarding this phenomenon .

Nice one by the way, fellow Engineer.
Re: How Do Insects Flys Inside A Fast Moving Vehicle? by adanny01(m): 2:23pm On Jul 05, 2021
silibaba:

Lets do the math then
Re: How Do Insects Flys Inside A Fast Moving Vehicle? by 9icetoo(m): 7:16am On Jul 06, 2021
adanny01:

Lets do the math then
The clue is in the name. wink
Re: How Do Insects Flys Inside A Fast Moving Vehicle? by BamBamK: 10:07am On Jul 06, 2021
holop holop.... just holop!!

adanny01:

Lets do the math then
Re: How Do Insects Flys Inside A Fast Moving Vehicle? by InfinixMine: 10:29am On Jul 07, 2021
Marpol, this deserves front page
Re: How Do Insects Flys Inside A Fast Moving Vehicle? by fineboynl(m): 2:33pm On Jul 07, 2021
The Earth's spin about 1,000 miles per hour.

Whereas the fastest moving car on earth is just at 316.11 miles per hours.

Now let assume at the rates which the earth moves and yet we do not feel like the Earth is moving.

The simple reason is that the earth is moving at a constant speed hence we are not feeling like it's moving.

Now If the earth should take a sudden break or a bit slow down. Everything on earth will likely perish.

Assuming when a car is on it maximum speed and make a sudden break, you already knows what will happens when one is not on a sitbelt.

I don't mean to scare you. But here it's is. The sea and ocean will slashes it water allover the earth and you knows what that means, there will be a great earthquake and tsunami that never been seen on earth. The people and their cars, mountains and buildings will fly eastward more than 3000 ft above the ground.

1 Like

Re: How Do Insects Flys Inside A Fast Moving Vehicle? by HEAVEN4444: 3:08pm On Jul 07, 2021
adanny01:
Good question.

this nigga adanny is always talking shit
Re: How Do Insects Flys Inside A Fast Moving Vehicle? by HEAVEN4444: 3:09pm On Jul 07, 2021
9icetoo:

The clue is in the name. wink
what clue ? blues clues ? sad
Re: How Do Insects Flys Inside A Fast Moving Vehicle? by adanny01(m): 6:52pm On Jul 07, 2021
HEAVEN4444:
this nigga adanny is always talking shit

Seems you like that shit. You even called me a brother for the shit. My shit is your enlightenment.

Enjoy my shit brother. It will heal your ignorance.

Meanwhile, I couldn't find your answer to the question, "How Do Insects Flys Inside A Fast Moving Vehicle?"

Don't you have a sensible thing to say?

E be like say I do you something? Oh, i remember exposing your foolishness when you really wanted me to look bad but ended up digging a hole that swallowed you.

You didn't, know how a fuel sending unit works, you didn't (and still don't) know how to drive a manual and you probably don't know or even understand why a fly could fly inside a moving car. I guess there a whole lot you don't know and don't even posses the comprehension skills to understand shit.

Re: How Do Insects Flys Inside A Fast Moving Vehicle? by HEAVEN4444: 7:08pm On Jul 07, 2021
adanny01:

Seems you like that shit. You even called me a brother for the shit. My shit is your enlightenment.

Enjoy my shit brother. It will heal your ignorance.

Meanwhile, I couldn't find your answer to the question, "How Do Insects Flys Inside A Fast Moving Vehicle?"

Don't you have a sensible thing to say?
grin grin grin grin am just trolling you bro. to answer the question its compressed pressurised air that is trapped in a pocket and so the fly is trapped in that pocket and can move within that pocket. however if you open the windows and the pocket of air disappears watch the fly get sucked into the backseat as it cant keep up with the speed assuming you are doing over 90 km per hour wink
Re: How Do Insects Flys Inside A Fast Moving Vehicle? by adanny01(m): 7:41pm On Jul 07, 2021
HEAVEN4444:
grin grin grin grin am just trolling you bro. to answer the question its compressed pressurised air that is trapped in a pocket and so the fly is trapped in that pocket and can move within that pocket. however if you open the windows and the pocket of air disappears watch the fly get sucked into the backseat as it cant keep up with the speed assuming you are doing over 90 km per hour wink

You admit to trolling me? You are not doing yourself any good. Is it a good thing to be a troll?

Do you know what compressed or pressurized air is?

Have you ever seen a car with a cabin air compressor? Air planes have either an air compressor or get compressed air from their jet engines. The reason they compress air is that air pressure on ground is about 14psi and in very high altitude where they fly, air pressure could be as low as 4psi creating difficulty in breathing.

Air drag is the only key word to the thread.

You just confirmed you don't know what makes a fly fly in a moving car.

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Camry 2007 (spider)charging System: / You Won't Believe Why Mercedes Benz Recalled The 2017 E-class. / Car Scan In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.