Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,706 members, 7,820,469 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:30 PM

Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story (32068 Views)

Most Nigerian Parents And Their Poor Child Spacing! A Must Read!!! / Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story / US Soldier Flies Home To Surprise His Parents And Walks In On Them Having Sex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by hbemigho(m): 7:57pm On Jul 04, 2021
I believe it is peculiarly characteristic of Nigerian parents to buy extremely oversized clothing and accessories for their children.

I mean, how can you go to the market to buy a shirt or shoe for me and you left me at home?

How?

So my mum will take a broom stick to measure my leg before going to the market and then come back with a shoe that is almost the size of my father's leg.

Wawu!

Mummy edakun, bhet what happened to the broomstick you went with na?

Or issit that you measure my leg to goan buy shoe for daddy? �

Of course, you know I cannot voice any of these out. Na inside my mind the conversation dey go on.

Or should I talk about how my dad will drive to Warri to buy longsleeve shirts for me and my brother, that after wearing the shirt, we will now be looking like all those overzealous upcoming evangelist sent against their will to win lost souls for Christ in the remotest of villages.

The painful part is that my dad will now be saying,

Wow! See as this cloth fit you. I wish I can take it for myself.

Inside my mind I wee be like, why not just take it na, it's kukuma your size you have bought so.

For many years, I tried to figure out why our parents were always exhibiting this behavior.

If it's because they want us to wear the cloths for a longer period as we dey grow like agric fowl, so that we won't be outgrowing cloths per second, per second.

But you know what usually happens?

Before we will now grow into the cloths, like when the one they bought for me is now actually my size, the shirt go don wash, fade or tear anyhow.

So what is now the point?

As a young boy with too much swag, I was always having severe chest pain in my neck whenever my parents wanted to get us new cloths.

The day I gave up on the struggle was when my mum accompanied my dad to the optometrist to select a glass frame for him

Brethren, my supposedly ever young fineboy dad came back wearing one kind glasses that had him looking like an old retired government secondary school principal in one of those remote villages.

The frame nor just fit am at all.

The thing was very oversize.

As in the glass frame big pass my daddy's small face.

My mum kept saying wow, see how you are looking so smart.

Omo!

Inside my mind, I was saying "yes make e dey go round like this."

This oversize ehn, everybody must collect!

Photos used for illustration

179 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by lilvicky68(m): 8:03pm On Jul 04, 2021
Lol....mehn the oversize then been mad oh..

school uniform wey Dem sew for me for primary1 na primary5 I reach the size..

shoe own na the worst them go pack paper and nylon put inside make person wear..

coat self be like canopy..

225 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by hbemigho(m): 8:25pm On Jul 04, 2021
Hahahaha

Kuku kee me

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by oranget(m): 8:51pm On Jul 04, 2021
Lol

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by anthonyuncle(m): 9:18pm On Jul 04, 2021
this thread go be thread of a million laughs

74 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Hathor5(f): 9:23pm On Jul 04, 2021
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Hathor5(f): 9:24pm On Jul 04, 2021
Comedy!

I wish there was a 'donate button' on NL so that I could pay for the entertainment. cheesy

123 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by hbemigho(m): 9:49pm On Jul 04, 2021
You mean I should send you my akant number make you send your laughing token?

I promise you, na suya and yogurt I go use am buy. No be my fault say the country be like this na
Hathor5:
Comedy!

I wish there was a 'donate button' on NL so that I could pay for the entertainment. cheesy

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Ishilove: 10:04pm On Jul 04, 2021
Buhahahahahahaha!! Comedy central cheesy

Op your mama na the MVP grin

My mummy always managed to buy the correct size for me and my sibs. I don't know how she did it but the sizes were always the right fit

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by pocohantas(f): 10:14pm On Jul 04, 2021
Ishilove:
Buhahahahahahaha!! Comedy central cheesy

Op your mama na the MVP grin

My mummy always managed to buy the correct size for me and my sibs. I don't know how she did it but the sizes were always the right fit

There is nothing miraculous she did, she just bought the right sizes, not minding that you guys would outgrow them in 2 weeks and she would have to spend another money. cheesy

Kids grow very fast, so (Nigerian) parents intentionally buy them oversize dresses and shoes. They can buy the right size if they want to. You don’t see many rich kids or kids of celebrities with these problems. It is a money problem prevalent in lower-middle-class to poor homes. lipsrsealed

111 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by StreetFight: 10:15pm On Jul 04, 2021
Till today, I am very uncomfortable in fitted clothes. I grew up in oversized clothes and I am used to it. My feet is currently size 42, but I wear size 44 and sometimes manage size 43. I cannot wear a show that is my size, its makes me very uncomfortable. I don't like tight things. Even while growing up, only big aunties with big pusssies were fuccking me, so till today, I don't like tight pusssies.

One million salutation to my late grandma. I know she is eating and dinning with God

76 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Ambeed(f): 10:48pm On Jul 04, 2021
StreetFight:
Till today, I am very uncomfortable in fitted clothes. I grew up in oversized clothes and I am used to it. My feet is currently size 42, but I wear size 44 and sometimes manage size 43. I cannot wear a show that is my size, its makes me very uncomfortable. I don't like tight things. Even while growing up, only big aunties with big pusssies were fuccking me, so till today, I don't like tight pusssies.

One million salutation to my late grandma. I

know she is eating and dinning with God

Your case is spiritual

152 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Ambeed(f): 10:51pm On Jul 04, 2021
Oversized cloth, that was me In jss1 with my over sized skirt as school uniform and used it till jss3 and discarded it for them when it won't fade or become too short.

That was the last time I wore mandatory oversized cloth.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by JeffreyJunior: 11:04pm On Jul 04, 2021
StreetFight:

One million salutation to my late grandma. I know she is eating and dinning with God
Too many crazy fellas here aswear. cheesy

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by 1F30M4(f): 11:27pm On Jul 04, 2021
Hahahaha this guyyy grin grin na my primary 1 school uniform vex me gan and popsy been wan snap me with im camera for morning, I no gree smile at all.

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Mophor: 11:32pm On Jul 04, 2021
Damn Niggar!!!!!
The struggle is real grin angry grin grin cheesy grin

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by africapeople: 12:25am On Jul 05, 2021
Haha, till Today my childhood Friends still call me herbalist because of the big big native kaftan my aunt used to sew for me Every xmas , Chai, person go just resemble baba ijebu on a day we are supposed celebrating the birth of Christ o.

119 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Michelle55: 5:53am On Jul 05, 2021
Here to read and laugh grin

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by FutureHNDRxXx: 5:54am On Jul 05, 2021
African parents all use one manual, cant tell me otherwise. grin cheesy

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by iamyemiakins(m): 6:08am On Jul 05, 2021
No be small thing grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by beautyhd: 6:44am On Jul 05, 2021
I can't remember putting on an outrageous over sized cloth as a growing child.

I had a brother who felt that anytime my mom wants to buy clothes for him, she will forget her eyes at home.

He was always putting on extra large clothings for school, church and even casual wears.

In some of our pictures, he was always looking like a clown and I wonder how my mom was able to look at him those years and tell him how he looks like a governor's son in those clownish attires.

87 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by gfon(m): 7:56am On Jul 05, 2021
Omo i dey always shed tears wen mumsi go buy suits(coats) for us,coats looking like agbada with enough foam for shoulder.I dey always see am like parachute.For the shoes area,abeg no go there,i no wan start to cry this monday morning.

128 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Hathor5(f): 7:59am On Jul 05, 2021
gfon:
Omo i dey always shed tears wen mumsi go buy suits(coats) for us,coats looking like agbada with enough foam for shoulder.I dey always see am like parachute.For the shoes area,abeg no go there,i no wan start to cry this monday morning.

gringrin

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Hathor5(f): 8:01am On Jul 05, 2021
hbemigho:
You mean I should send you my akant number make you send your laughing token?

I promise you, na suya and yogurt I go use am buy. No be my fault say the country be like this na

grin
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Richy4(m): 8:21am On Jul 05, 2021
Was it not 2 years ago or so that the governor of Kaduna state was sending his son to a public school... When I saw the boy's uniform, I felt really bad for the young boy smiley...I think that pic is still on the internet...

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Acidosis(m): 8:49am On Jul 05, 2021
1F30M4:
Hahahaha this guyyy grin grin na my primary 1 school uniform vex me gan and popsy been wan snap me with im camera for morning, I no gree smile at all.

You come dey vex for camera grin grin grin

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Acidosis(m): 8:50am On Jul 05, 2021
gfon:

Dead grin grin grin Parachute aye

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Regex: 8:57am On Jul 05, 2021
Anytime my mama want buy shoe or clothes she deh always buy the ones weh go size me in 2yrs time.
"You too fine" "Olu gbajie girls" all na hype.

Na when I deh SS1 she go buy pams for me buy my size and I no follow am go market oh...

So this woman sabi my size since come deh whine me...

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by LadySarah: 9:11am On Jul 05, 2021
StreetFight:

Somebody bring chain asap!

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by LadySarah: 9:16am On Jul 05, 2021
I like fitted clothes and that's what I buy my kids. When I say their age while buying, the sellers will start telling me to choose the bigger size and fold it. Eg the trousers.
So when they now get to that age, the cloth already looks worn-out and faded. Mbanu!

But it is painful cos they grow really quick and in less than 7 maths I'm back to buy another one. My saving grace is that they are all the same sex so I'm jejely keeping it for the younger ones who will still wear it when it fits them exactly.

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by LadySarah: 9:20am On Jul 05, 2021
gfon:

I Don laugh tire this morning. My mom once bought me the one that hands like akupe(hand fan). My elder bro taunted me regularly asking me if the trumpet had sounded and mom was getting me ready to fly to heaven. I used to cry each time she brought it out.One Sunday I vowed never to go to church again and always stayed back home until she got tired and bought new ones.

73 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by thunderbj: 10:53am On Jul 05, 2021
Omoh na my popsy dey do that for me oh. Iswr my Dad bought cloth for me since 2014,na now the cloth just dey fit me after I don abandoned the cloth. I even vex dash am out of the cloth sef,make he feel my pain too

27 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Zambian Wife Destroys Her Husband's Jeep For Having A ''Second Family''.Photos / My Fiancée Is Acting Suspicious / Man Disappeared Just A Month To His Wedding (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.