Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,348 members, 7,819,237 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:11 PM

Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story (32063 Views)

Most Nigerian Parents And Their Poor Child Spacing! A Must Read!!! / Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story / US Soldier Flies Home To Surprise His Parents And Walks In On Them Having Sex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by hbemigho(m): 5:19pm On Jul 05, 2021
Oya na run this thing na

Nor dey whine me o
HRSweetness:

LOL, very interesting write up plus zero grammatical blunder. I feel like opening a go fund me account on your behalf.
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by hbemigho(m): 5:21pm On Jul 05, 2021
You sabi this thing
lilvicky68:

Na purposely them dey do am..person go buy shirtsleeve for him pikin..when the pikin wear am na long sleeve e go turn..

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Nkemella: 5:22pm On Jul 05, 2021
This thread na laughing zone, infact op u have made my day.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by hbemigho(m): 5:24pm On Jul 05, 2021
You had to ask.

Hahahaha

Wahala be like coconut, we nor know how water take enter inside
lilvicky68:

Shebi you use am graduate?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by lilvicky68(m): 5:25pm On Jul 05, 2021
hbemigho:
You had to ask.

Hahahaha

Wahala be like coconut, we nor know how water take enter inside
I no go surprise if the clothe still dey enter her now self..

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Goodman247: 5:25pm On Jul 05, 2021
lilvicky68:
Lol....mehn the oversize then been mad oh.. school uniform wey Dem sew for me for primary1 na primary5 I reach the size.. shoe own na the worst them go pack paper and nylon put inside make person wear..coat self na like canopy..
grin
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by 15ssDRIVE(m): 5:34pm On Jul 05, 2021
hbemigho:
I believe it is peculiarly characteristic of Nigerian parents to buy extremely oversized clothing and accessories for their children.

I mean, how can you go to the market to buy a shirt or shoe for me and you left me at home?

How?

So my mum will take a broom stick to measure my leg before going to the market and then come back with a shoe that is almost the size of my father's leg.

Wawu!

Mummy edakun, bhet what happened to the broomstick you went with na?

Or issit that you measure my leg to goan buy shoe for daddy? �

Of course, you know I cannot voice any of these out. Na inside my mind the conversation dey go on.

Or should I talk about how my dad will drive to Warri to buy longsleeve shirts for me and my brother, that after wearing the shirt, we will now be looking like all those overzealous upcoming evangelist sent against their will to win lost souls for Christ in the remotest of villages.

The painful part is that my dad will now be saying,

Wow! See as this cloth fit you. I wish I can take it for myself.

Inside my mind I wee be like, why not just take it na, it's kukuma your size you have bought so.

For many years, I tried to figure out why our parents were always exhibiting this behavior.

If it's because they want us to wear the cloths for a longer period as we dey grow like agric fowl, so that we won't be outgrowing cloths per second, per second.

But you know what usually happens?

Before we will now grow into the cloths, like when the one they bought for me is now actually my size, the shirt go don wash, fade or tear anyhow.

So what is now the point?

As a young boy with too much swag, I was always having severe chest pain in my neck whenever my parents wanted to get us new cloths.

The day I gave up on the struggle was when my mum accompanied my dad to the optometrist to select a glass frame for him

Brethren, my supposedly ever young fineboy dad came back wearing one kind glasses that had him looking like an old retired government secondary school principal in one of those remote villages.

The frame nor just fit am at all.

The thing was very oversize.

As in the glass frame big pass my daddy's small face.

My mum kept saying wow, see how you are looking so smart.

Omo!

Inside my mind, I was saying "yes make e dey go round like this."

This oversize ehn, everybody must collect!

Photos used for illustration

Fear Ijebu Parents !!! Op, you wan kill person with laughs.

May God bless our parents,dem really try wella. Because someone of us,na definitions of the devil in kiddies form.

Buy me Bata shoes, I go ride bike with no brake and use the shoe as my brake,so they will need to buy me a another one in 1 month time.

Las Las,respect for our Papa & Mama. Wey Sabi draw ears. Wey Sabi Knock your head and reset back to factory’s setting.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Aziishyco(m): 5:34pm On Jul 05, 2021
Oga why are you like dis na... I don laugh tire here � � � � � � �
E get one baggy jeans my mama by for me in 2001 during Christmas. Now I'm 29 years, living alone and independent but I still have that jeans in my wardrobe.

But I swear to God, up till now that jeans never still size me. Sometimes I go wan throway am but I still see it as a treasure that should be in a museum grin. I only wore that jeans once and that was boxing day of 2001. I remember those agbero kids in my street at Isale eko (you know how rugged that place was back then) laughing me and using me to do yeye.i can never forget. Shame catch me so tay I run back go house go off am instantly and that was the last time I ever wore it. This is 2021 and that shi doesn't still size me. When I look at it, am always like "what the hell". How did I look on this baggy jeans back then. As a kid, I preferred my father buying cloths for me. He go buy you confirm stuff wey you sef go like but you see my mama ehn, she go buy you cloth wey you go fit use for the next 20 years.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Psoul(m): 5:34pm On Jul 05, 2021
Ok naa

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by hbemigho(m): 5:35pm On Jul 05, 2021
I'm glad this thread made you smile.

About your job, when one door closes another one opens, please cheer up. A better one is coming.
3idiots:
I want to thank the creator of this thread and those that commented for making my day. I lost my job today, but this thread put some joy and happiness in me. If not for any other thing, it's was nostalgic. I remembered those childhood days, when you just have to worry for nothing.

The good old days...

Thanks once again!!

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by hbemigho(m): 5:38pm On Jul 05, 2021
This platform suppose get laughing emoji na

Because what is this?

Kuku kee me guy!!!!
Ochason:
My own nah something else. How can you explain when ur mumsy go carry ur sister's trousers and mend for you as a guy and hailing you that eehh see as ur looking like a one rich kid like that, see as this one fit u fine die. Me in my mind I go dey cry . And the cloth go give u the shape of a woman for back. I dey hustle well make my children no experience wetin I pass Tru then.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by hbemigho(m): 5:41pm On Jul 05, 2021
Bros you were not doing well at all back then

15ssDRIVE:

Fear Ijebu Parents !!! Op, you wan kill person with laughs.

May God bless our parents,dem really try wella. Because someone of us,na definitions of the devil in kiddies form.

Buy me Bata shoes, I go ride bike with no brake and use the shoe as my brake,so they will need to buy me a another one in 1 month time.

Las Las,respect for our Papa & Mama. Wey Sabi draw ears. Wey Sabi Knock your head and reset back to factory’s setting.
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by 1F30M4(f): 5:52pm On Jul 05, 2021
lilvicky68:

Shebi you use am graduate?

The young shall grow, gbammm hw u tek know grin grin Na vex I tek dey wear am dey go but when I reach sch laidis I go jus endure am because e get some people wey I better pass and I dey use hand hol' laff if I see dem for assembly, atleast ah nur too loss for inside the uniform cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Babatojide: 5:55pm On Jul 05, 2021
D irony b say
My grandma (of BLESSED memories) dey buy my specs gangan
Momsi must always leave (@ least 2 yrs “allowance” for any thing she buy) for future growth,
School bag and notebook inclusive
D worst b say if una go tailor shop...
I rest my case

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by lilvicky68(m): 5:57pm On Jul 05, 2021
1F30M4:

The young shall grow, gbammm hw u tek know grin grin Na vex I tek dey wear am dey go but when I reach sch laidis I go jus endure am because e get some people wey I better pass and I dey use hand hol' laff if I see dem for assembly, atleast ah nur too loss inside the uniform cheesy
Na true oh. No matter how your own dey..another person own go worst pass..

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Aziishyco(m): 5:57pm On Jul 05, 2021
My own nah something else. How can you explain when ur mumsy go carry ur sister's trousers and mend for you as a guy and hailing you that eehh see as ur looking like a one rich kid like that, see as this one fit u fine die. Me in my mind I go dey cry . And the cloth go give u the shape of a woman for back. I dey hustle well make my children no experience wetin I pass Tru then.

Your own case is something else i swear � � � � � � � �

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Zeuslord(m): 5:59pm On Jul 05, 2021
Ochason:
baba Your Own ehnnnnnnnn
the thing fit even affect your steps grin
Ochason:
baba Your Own ehnnnnnnnn
the thing fit even affect your steps
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by GranitXhaka(m): 6:06pm On Jul 05, 2021
Hathor5:
Comedy!

I wish there was a 'donate button' on NL so that I could pay for the entertainment. cheesy

Pls help me if u can. Honestly, the dryness is too much with me. I can't begin to say it all here
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by 15ssDRIVE(m): 6:21pm On Jul 05, 2021
hbemigho:
Bros you were not doing well at all back then

at all my brother.The Most odd things you can ever imagine as a kid.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by FiverrTutor(m): 6:37pm On Jul 05, 2021
GboyegaD:

Sounds strange though. I thought primary school was that time or parents wanted us to look sharp going to school.

Well that was how it was for me between 1987 - 1991 grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Bolaji1996: 6:38pm On Jul 05, 2021
grin
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by dsocioemmy(m): 7:10pm On Jul 05, 2021
What a thread!!!!
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by EmpressOne(f): 7:18pm On Jul 05, 2021
Ahhh this topic...
The one time my father bought clothes for me in my absence was when he traveled to China. O boy! See skirt like parachute and ugly long sleeve shirts that were also oversized... I was so sad mehn. My mama still try in getting me my exact size of clothes.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by gfon(m): 7:52pm On Jul 05, 2021
LadySarah:

I Don laugh tire this morning. My mom once bought me the one that hands like akupe(hand fan). My elder bro taunted me regularly asking me if the trumpet had sounded and mom was getting me ready to fly to heaven. I used to cry each time she brought it out.One Sunday I vowed never to go to church again and always stayed back home until she got tired and bought new ones.
lol,childhood was fun back then

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Dee4luv: 7:53pm On Jul 05, 2021
Nobody is even talking about those kinda Mary amaka shoe with strong leather☹️☹️ they will be like this is everlasting.. grin

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Angelacruz: 7:55pm On Jul 05, 2021
Very funny
ajailer:
Ha dis thing no be small matter for me growing up o.

Na so Dem buy one oversized moccasin for me in pry sch o .... In d morning before assembly time, my friends go dey play around on the play ground..... na only me go dey one corner as I no go fit run around with my friends due to my oversized shoes...

Op, na old wound u go open o angry

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Angelacruz: 7:58pm On Jul 05, 2021
I swear
harunzy111:
Na laugh wan kill me 4 here o angry grin grin
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by OLRAYS(m): 8:16pm On Jul 05, 2021
Ambeed:

Your case is spiritual
Ajé
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by kumulus(m): 9:05pm On Jul 05, 2021
If only they understood the depth of the mess they were making.
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by alshalz(m): 9:24pm On Jul 05, 2021
Op,if I tell you how many times I used to fold my shorts you'll have no choice but to pity me, let's not talk about trousers because if you should loose the stitches , I bet my balls that you will get a full Bedsheet+.All and all shout out to mumsy

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by alshalz(m): 9:35pm On Jul 05, 2021
Kondomatic:
Back then I didn't need to "wear" my clothes. I simply "walked" into them.
your own better, my own Na to enter I dey enter them.just imagined how you gu be inside a room. I would fold my shorts many times before entering them
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Usjimy(m): 9:35pm On Jul 05, 2021
My case sha...

I wore oversize to the point that I thought I was a special child cos my size no dey market and tailor no fit sew am. As for shoe, leave am. I dey almost use one roll of tissue paper to pad am. The day the yoke broke na when I begin buy clothes for my self. I was like ahhh...why me

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dad Begs For Forgiveness For Defiling His Daughters. / Zambian Wife Destroys Her Husband's Jeep For Having A ''Second Family''.Photos / Man Disappeared Just A Month To His Wedding (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.