Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:23 AM

How To Present Your Strengths And Weaknesses In A Job Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Present Your Strengths And Weaknesses In A Job Interview (11069 Views)

Please Help Me Decide On This Present Job Offer / Six Things You Need To Present For Your NPOWER Physical Screening. / How To Answer The "What Are Your Greatest Strengths?" Question In An Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Present Your Strengths And Weaknesses In A Job Interview by PFBRESOURCES: 12:11pm On Jul 05, 2021
HOW TO PRESENT YOUR STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES IN A JOB INTERVIEW

1. Prepare ahead & identify your strengths and weaknesses
First things first – in order to talk about your strengths and weaknesses in a job interview you need to know what they actually are.
What are your greatest strengths? One way to list your strengths is to draw on any previous feedback you’ve been given. If you have previous work experience, this is pretty straightforward – you can probably think of specific circumstances where you did good (and it was noticed!) and felt able to utilize your talents to go that extra mile.
But you may be new to the job market or have experienced some time out from working life. Here you can always draw on educational or personal feedback that’s been positive.
What are your biggest weaknesses? If you find it hard to think of your weaknesses, come back to your list of strengths. What is the opposite of these strengths? Is that something you may struggle with? If you are, for example, really good at connecting with people, networking, and forming relationships, would you, on the other hand perhaps, find it difficult to work by yourself?

2. Apply your strengths and weaknesses to the desired role
Now that you have your list, think about the job you are applying for. What strengths are relevant to it? What weaknesses are not welcomed? Pick a strength that is relevant to that particular role. It’s always best to provide examples of when you have displayed that strength in the past and how exactly this could be useful in the role you are applying for.

3. Focus on weaknesses that are NOT relevant to the role
When talking about your weaknesses, home in on those that are not essential for the role – you don’t want to disqualify yourself.

4. Don’t just state your weakness – show your willingness to improve
Don’t stop after naming your weakness. Ensure the weaknesses you share are fixable as well as demonstrating how you are working on them. Showing how you’re taking steps to improve on weaknesses will not only show self-awareness, it will show commitment to personal and professional growth.

5. Turn negatives into positives
Switching it around shows you are mindful of this characteristic and are able to prevent it getting in the way of your performance.

6. Have more than one example prepared
Sometimes one example may not be enough. The interviewer may just want to get to know you better or was not fully convinced by the first one you presented. Make sure you prepare at least 3 examples, so you have your responses ready.

7. How NOT to answer ‘What are your strengths and weaknesses?
a. Don’t be arrogant or dishonest about your strengths and abilities – you’ll be found out eventually – and the point of the interview is to make sure the job is a good fit for you
b. Don’t use the obvious ‘old’ examples, especially for weaknesses – I’m too attentive to detail, too much of a perfectionist, too hard-working – those may sound disingenuous as recruiters and hiring managers will have heard these many times.
c. When talking about your strengths or weaknesses, don’t humblebrag – it comes across as self-elevation and no one wants to work with someone who puts down others to boost their own self-esteem.
d. If you’re not talented at making jokes – the interview is not the best time to start practicing them.
e. Don’t be defensive or apologetic for your weaknesses – everyone has them, there is no need to apologize.

The key is to be honest, show self-awareness, and the ability to learn from mistakes – Do this and you will nail the interview!

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Present Your Strengths And Weaknesses In A Job Interview by stonemind(f): 1:04pm On Jul 05, 2021
Ooooooh my god, I made it!!! I'm the first to comment baby! a big shout out to every one out there who never stopped believing in me, especially my mom MOMMY STONEMIND. my boyfriend BOYBILLIONS and my very sweet sugar daddy CHIEF LEKAN ADEPOJU.. in fact I'll be right back let go call my bff.

2 Likes

Re: How To Present Your Strengths And Weaknesses In A Job Interview by Illuminatiship(m): 1:04pm On Jul 05, 2021
Dress for the Job You Want. ...
Arrive on Time, but Not Too Early. ...
Enter a Room Confidently. ...
Offer a Firm Handshake. ...
Be Kind to Everyone. ...
Act Interested. ...
Don't Open a Conversation With Careless Remarks. ...
Be Prepared to Talk About the Company and Yourself.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Present Your Strengths And Weaknesses In A Job Interview by Lanretoye(m): 1:05pm On Jul 05, 2021
Abeg i no weak,abi ena wan weak me,
Re: How To Present Your Strengths And Weaknesses In A Job Interview by Seniorwriter(m): 1:06pm On Jul 05, 2021
Must be insightful for normal folks still not aware of working Online / Remotely .....
As a freelancer the only strength needed is timely delivery.
Once you can deliver top notch services on time to your present clients then prospective employers need not interview you ..they'll just go into talks and contracts based on their survey of your Online Work Portfolio or testimonials.

In another news if you have access to internet + browsing gadgets and you ain't making a dime via online activities then you are not wise and also far from financial freedom.

The sure way to having financial freedom is by creating more than one income means and FYI there are thousands of ease2access ways to earn via Online.

For mentorship enquiries and learn2earn fees convo or any related consultation as to my ONLINE EARNING campaign posts here kindly reach out via the facebook ID on my profile's personal text.

@seniorwriter

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Present Your Strengths And Weaknesses In A Job Interview by slawormiir: 1:07pm On Jul 05, 2021
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright
Re: How To Present Your Strengths And Weaknesses In A Job Interview by Justinlean02(m): 1:07pm On Jul 05, 2021
Ok, so where are the jobs kwanu grin grin
Re: How To Present Your Strengths And Weaknesses In A Job Interview by CasNova: 1:09pm On Jul 05, 2021
GOOD PRESENTATION.

1 Like

Re: How To Present Your Strengths And Weaknesses In A Job Interview by VEXT: 1:10pm On Jul 05, 2021
Get the right connection.. That's all

2 Likes

Re: How To Present Your Strengths And Weaknesses In A Job Interview by FnbAutos(m): 1:23pm On Jul 05, 2021
Illuminatiship:
Dress for the Job You Want. ...
Arrive on Time, but Not Too Early. ...
Enter a Room Confidently. ...
Offer a Firm Handshake. ...
Be Kind to Everyone. ...
Act Interested. ...
Don't Open a Conversation With Careless Remarks. ...
Be Prepared to Talk About the Company and Yourself.

Nice except the “handshake” part, you don’t need to offer a handshake except you’re offered one, don’t sit unless you’re told to, if not, kindly request that you take a sit... knock the door twice (gently) before opening, you don’t need to hear “come in” before you enter, nor be bedroom �

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Present Your Strengths And Weaknesses In A Job Interview by elmessiahs(m): 1:26pm On Jul 05, 2021
Every man has the adaptive quality which has kept humanity.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Present Your Strengths And Weaknesses In A Job Interview by jericco1(m): 1:33pm On Jul 05, 2021
All op said is not far from the truth.
I had an interview recently and I was ground with well structured questions and I answered them effortlessly.

The thing is know about the company and what you're applying for.

Don't look naive, it is a turn off.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Present Your Strengths And Weaknesses In A Job Interview by Onyi22(f): 1:54pm On Jul 05, 2021
Las las who go get the job knows his or herself grin
Re: How To Present Your Strengths And Weaknesses In A Job Interview by BigDawsNet: 1:54pm On Jul 05, 2021
People still go for interview?

I thought that shhit hole requir you to have a god father

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Present Your Strengths And Weaknesses In A Job Interview by Ayomi90: 1:59pm On Jul 05, 2021
All dis ppl with no jobs telling us how to secure a job. Funny
Re: How To Present Your Strengths And Weaknesses In A Job Interview by fasho01(m): 2:03pm On Jul 05, 2021
Great tips. However where are the jobs, let alone job interviews
Re: How To Present Your Strengths And Weaknesses In A Job Interview by Freddd009: 2:34pm On Jul 05, 2021
stonemind:
Ooooooh my god, I made it!!! I'm the first to comment baby! a big shout out to every one out there who never stopped believing in me, especially my mom MOMMY STONEMIND. my boyfriend BOYBILLIONS and my very sweet sugar daddy CHIEF LEKAN ADEPOJU.. in fact I'll be right back let go call my bff.

Ok
Re: How To Present Your Strengths And Weaknesses In A Job Interview by lapazi(m): 4:03pm On Jul 05, 2021
Another Good Question is "What motivates you"

This cut me off guard in my wee days surfing the job market,

Who has a good ans to this?
Re: How To Present Your Strengths And Weaknesses In A Job Interview by Dagger111(m): 6:41pm On Jul 05, 2021
stonemind:

Ori eleyi ti gbale, maawo furo boshe dudu. I can only see dilapidated kpekus underneath the skirt.
Re: How To Present Your Strengths And Weaknesses In A Job Interview by brightebe: 4:56am On Jul 06, 2021
fasho01:
Great tips. However where are the jobs, let alone job interviews
Online jobs in Nigeria are at workpent.com and available in workpent android app available at the google play store https:///2SO5Fi6
[img][/img]

Re: How To Present Your Strengths And Weaknesses In A Job Interview by brightebe: 4:59am On Jul 06, 2021
The app link for workpent at google play store is https:///2SO5Fi6

(1) (Reply)

I'm Totally Fed Up With Job Hunting / United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF) Job Recruitment / Is This Job Invite Genuine?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.