Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,729 members, 7,851,508 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 08:58 PM

If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss (2243 Views)

Why Members Of PDP Are Mostly Arrested In The Ongoing Fight Against Corruption / Senators Concerned As Buhari Overlooks Law In AMCON Appointments / APC Finished In South East Due To Boko Haram Activities’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by Justcash(m): 3:23am On May 10, 2011
ekt_bear:

It isn't as if he wants to neglect Igbos, imo. But the problem is, there are so many other mouths to feed in the PDP. How do you force him to focus on your zone over the other zones and forces in the PDP?

You see the issue, I hope? NE is playing this aggrieved card, NC plays continuity card, OBJ has played this continuity, "give PDP SW something" card. NW has their own wahala, then he likely cut some side deals with the ACN too.

There are just too many factions in the PDP, many with a much stronger voice than ya'll.

You know, there is a saying that "You don't bite the hands that feed you". Do you know that if not for the outrageous figures that emanated from the SE, GEJ would have had a lot to contend with. Now, I am not asking that he should neglect other groups. All Igbos are asking for is a major position in government. Atleast Speaker or Senate presidency. One would expect that it shouldn't be too hard for him, especially since he easily took the party chairmanship position away from Igbos. Other regions will still have positions in government, but according to the influence they wielded for him.
We must not forget that politics is "Who gets what, when and how". He will definitely betray Igbos by ignoring us. It can be likened to 419 (Advanced fee fraud)
Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by EkoIle1: 3:27am On May 10, 2011
Onlytruth:

The way I see it, we had two levels of different choices going into this election.

1) Stay in the mainstream by voting for PDP in the national elections

or

2) Go the regional way by voting for APGA

In the mainstream, we had two choices:

a) Support our neighbor from a minority tribe

or

b) Go for VP position by teaming with a majority from the North.

Well, we chose to stay in the mainstream, and at the same time adopted our neighbor.
I was among those initially opposed to it, but, since I know that history is not ending in 2011 (at least I hope), we could try the option we did; and if it fails, we would at least know that it failed; meaning there will NEVER be such opinion by any Igbo in the future.

And that is why we are having this conversation now.

So, in essence, we lost nothing. Conversely, we gained something invaluable: EXPERIENCE.

Going forward, we will be more surefooted.
 cool
[/quote

Unfortunately, you folks make the same mistakes over and over again. When are you going start making the right decisions? They say once bitten twice shy, but it's like 10 times bitten and never shy with ibo people. No, you lost because you are begging for what you shouldn't be begging, you votes including the rigged ones obviously didn't mean ishhhhh.

Stop sweeting your bele over nothing,
Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by Beaf: 3:29am On May 10, 2011
^
I wonder if this guy was born foolish or its a trick he learned? Damn!

@topic
Poor GEJ must have the biggest headache on Earth now! smiley
I don't believe for one minute that the SE will be shortchanged. There are lots and lots of way's in which payback can come, from the offices the SE is demanding to powerful ministeral positions, and other unseen ways. The SE/SS marriage needs to wax stronger.
Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by Justcash(m): 3:30am On May 10, 2011
Eko Ile:

The fact that we are all Nigerians doesn't mean we share the same political strength, foresight, sophistication and sense of justice and the last election agreed with.

We sat here and read many mean spirited stories about the ACN and how they are a tribal party led by Tinubu the crook and drug dealer and how GEJ is the new ibo and the greatest human on earth. Well, the tribal party led by Tinubu the crook is almost siting in the driver's chair, GEJ is offering to the ACN what he's denying you and what you are crying for with all the fake and genuine votes you sacrificed for him and his crooked party.

Like I say always, ibo people are very self destructive, you don't look before you jump,

Chill, the beans just got on fire. It will get soft and become ready to be eaten. After it has been eaten, we'll come and judge ACN. For now, you can never conclude that ACN will succeed in the SW. Bear in mind that leading a state, is different from leading a whole region.
Like I said before, you have no right to conclude that Igbos are "Self destructive". You know nothing about us to say such. To me, Yoroobas are even more self-destructive by having Tinubu as their regional leader.
Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by Obiagu1(m): 3:31am On May 10, 2011
Eko Ile:

Unfortunately, you folks make the same mistakes over and over again. When are you going start making the right decisions? They say once bitten twice shy, but it's like 10 times bitten and never shy with ibo people. No, you lost because you are begging for what you shouldn't be begging, you votes including the rigged ones obviously didn't mean ishhhhh.

Stop sweeting your bele over nothing,

We didn't make any mistake. Our biggest problem is OBJ, he hates us and he is too powerful; I won't deny that.
Minus OBJ, this debate won't even be going on because no sensible PDP man will think of zoning the Speaker position to the SW with only 6 members whereas their base, SE, is left behind.
Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by ektbear: 3:35am On May 10, 2011
Obiagu1:

We didn't make any mistake. Our biggest problem is OBJ, he hates us and he is too powerful; I won't deny that.
Minus OBJ, this debate won't even be going on because no sensible PDP man will think of zoning the Speaker position to the SW with only 6 members whereas their base, SE, is left behind.

Hehe. I don't understand how the guy is so powerful. He is hated in the SW, disliked in the North, and probably not liked much in the SE or SS. Why is he so influential?

Very interesting stuff to me.
Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by Justcash(m): 3:35am On May 10, 2011
Beaf:

^
I wonder if this guy was born foolish or its a trick he learned? Damn!

@topic
Poor GEJ must have the biggest headache on Earth now! smiley
I don't believe for one minute that the SE will be shortchanged. There are lots and lots of way's in which payback can come, from the offices the SE is demanding to powerful ministeral positions, and other unseen ways. The SE/SS marriage needs to wax stronger.

Exactly my point. Though, I prefer political positions to be based on ethnicity than ministerial positions. I prefer professionals to handle ministerial positions. Even if all of them are only northern muslims like Sanusi or SW'ners, I don't care. I prefer progress over ethnicity. Which is why I think he should favor Igbos with House of assembly posts.
Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by EkoIle1: 3:41am On May 10, 2011
Obiagu1:

We didn't make any mistake. Our biggest problem is OBJ, he hates us and he is too powerful, I won't deny that.

Of course you did. Didn't you voted for the most incompetent and corrupt political party in the world? What do you thing crooked and corrupt people do? Exactly what you are crying about now?

Question? Did you guys voted for the PDP because they are the most competent and less corrupt people in Nigeria? No, you did for selfish reason and you are reaping what you sow.

I personally yelled so many times on NL that GEJ is just a figure head and can not deliver anything unless other corrupt and powerful forces in Nigeria let him.

You guys need to stop making noise about OBJ, he's a member of the PDP, he was there when you casted your votes for the PDP. OBJ is powerful according to you, he ain't s.hit in the SW as displayed by what we just did to him and his party.
Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by Justcash(m): 3:41am On May 10, 2011
ekt_bear:

Hehe. I don't understand how the guy is so powerful. He is hated in the SW, disliked in the North, and probably not liked much in the SE or SS. Why is he so influential?

That guy is the father of the new political order in Nigeria. Forget that he lost in the SW. He would have won at all cost if he wanted. Just that he's got a bigger opposition to fight in the north. He is the one keeping the North from political dominance, while trying to ensure political equity in Nigeria.
GEJ owe him a lot for his new found political influence. Unfortunately, OBJ's influence will wane through natural death or sustained fight by the North.
Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by htajz: 8:24pm On May 10, 2011
am sure oga jona will make the right decision at the end of the day ,but one thing he should bear in mind while making that is that the SE is the only region that will stand by the SS anyday anytime, he should also think about the future of the SS in nigerian politics,our allies,enemies etc
Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by Nobody: 8:41pm On May 10, 2011
[size=18pt]House Speaker: Presidency backs South-West[/size]
By John Ameh, Abuja
Tuesday, 10 May 2011

Political horse-trading over who becomes the Speaker of the House of Representatives has peaked as feelers from Abuja showed that the Presidency was backing Mrs. Mulikat Adeola as the successor to Mr. Dimeji Bankole.

But she is sure to face a stiff hurdle from her colleagues from the South-East and many prominent members of the House from the North.

While the legislators from the South-East insisted on Monday that their zone must produce either the Speaker of the House or the President of the Senate, those from the North argued that they would not back anyone who emerged a candidate on the basis of zoning.

THE PUNCH learnt early on Monday that the contending camps in the House had received signals from the Presidency indicating that Adeola had its backing.

The biggest factor in favour of the returnee Peoples Democratic Party member from Oyo State is said to be the desire of the party and the Presidency to balance the religious divide in the country.

An influential member of the House from the South-South, who is close to the Presidency, confided in our correspondent in Abuja that besides the desire of the Presidency and the PDP to retain the position in the South-West, “there is the big issue of balancing the religious divide.”

The development is said to have knocked out the South-East from the race.

The legislator said, “The way things stand right now, the President, who is from the South-South is a Christian; the President of the Senate will be retained in the North-Central. Senator David Mark, who is likely to continue in office, is also a Christian.

“Zoning the number four position (Speaker) to the South-East, will lead to the emergence of another Christian.

“So, part of the calculations working for Adeola is the religious factor and the fact that many lawmakers appear to be comfortable with her than any other returning lawmaker from the South-West. Adeola is a Muslim.”

When her views were sought on the rumoured presidential backing for her, Adeola said she could not immediately respond because she was “in a noisy place” in Lagos.

However, the South-East Caucus members in the House disagreed with the reasons cited for the Presidency’s alleged backing for Adeola, particularly the religious factor.

They pointed out that they had last week insisted that the South-East would not accept any position outside the President of the Senate or the Speaker of the House.

“In our communique last week, we clarified this religious issue and why we do not think that it should be used as factor in allocating political positions,” one of them told THE PUNCH.

Part of the communique reads, “The argument about religious balancing is not tenable, historically. We may recall that in the Second Republic, while the President (Alhaji Shehu Shagari) was a Muslim, the Vice-President, Senate President and Speaker were all Christians. Hell was not let loose.

“During the 1993 presidential elections, the South-East put its weight behind the Social Democratic Party presidential candidate, Chief MKO Abiola, and his running mate, Alhaji Babagana Kingibe, who were both Muslims.

“In 2007, the President of the Senate, Senator David Mark, and the Speaker (former) of the House of Representatives, Mrs. Patricia Etteh, were Christians.

“In fact, in the current legislature, both the Speaker and the Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives are Muslims.

“Religion has never been an issue. How has it now crept in surreptitiously?”

Also on Monday, the apex Igbo socio-cultural organisation, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, reacted to the reported zoning of the speakership to the South-West.

It also insisted hat the South-East must be given the Speakership or the Senate Presidency.

The President of the organisation, Ambassador Ralph Uwechue, said in Abuja that any office less than the speakership would not be commensurate with the support Jonathan and the PDP got in the South-East during the general elections.

He said, “The PDP as a political party got total support from Igboland. The long and short is that we want something from the National Assembly: it is either Senate President or the Speaker of the House of Representatives.

“We want a position that is commensurate with the PDP’s success in the zone, a just position; a position that is fair to the Igbo, to Nigerians and to everybody.”

As Uwechue spoke, findings showed that many influential members of the House from the North were kicking against Adeola’s choice by the Presidency.

The Northern lawmakers had reportedly resolved at a meeting in Abuja on Saturday not to back any aspirant on the basis of zoning.

Investigations revealed that the group held to the argument that Jonathan had “killed and buried zoning by contesting for the Presidency at a time he knew that it was the turn of the North to have it.”

Insiders confided in our correspondent that the group was demanding that the contest for the speakership should be thrown open to all eligible persons, irrespective of their zones of origin.

The Northern legislators are said to be banking on their majority number in the House across party lines to clinch the seat if it is thrown open.

“Nothing is certain for now; there is even fear of revolt in the House if it becomes obvious that a particular candidate is about to be imposed on the House.

“People are calling for an open contest”, one of them told our correspondent on Monday.

One of the names being touted for the open contest is the Deputy Whip of the House, Mr. Aminu Waziri-Tambuwal, a four-timer (1999 till date) from Sokoto State.

But, when our correspondent contacted him for comments on Monday, Waziri-Tambuwal denied knowledge of the existence of the northern pressure group.

He said, “I am not aware of any northern group that is pursuing an agenda for the position of Speaker.

“I do know that I am in support of stability in the House and any decision that will make us to work for the interest of Nigerians.”

When asked whether he was aware that some persons were suggesting his him for the position, he replied, “It was you who said that my name was being touted. “That means that I am not the one who is putting my name forward.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201105103224787

Between OBJ and the rest of Nigeria.

SW'ners re not crying for this position.
Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by Nobody: 8:53pm On May 10, 2011
The Igbos do not need Jonathan or any President to look after them.

All you should as for is justice and security for all and Igbos will be fine.

I don't know anybody looking for handouts from any Government?

Are u?
Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by htajz: 8:54pm On May 10, 2011
for God sake he should give it to the SE let everybody rest, the south west dont need it at this time as they want to focus on regional development which is good and the north have started their mischivious acts again. if the SE losses it will be very bad for both the SE and SS politically as there may never be trust between the two again, a divided eastern nigeria will never achieve anything politically in the new political setting.
Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by Kilode1: 9:44pm On May 10, 2011
ekt_bear:

OBJ is one of the "Owners of Nigeria" 

That might sound like some grand unproven conspiracy theory to casual observers of the Nigerian state, but Yes he is a Nigerian establishment Stakeholder, as long as the center stays as it is, they have little to lose.

Those were the people I was hoping we'll wrestle to the ground together in April 2011. Some of us warned and typed till our fingers went sore, asking folks to look beyond Ethnic and religious propaganda, but we failed.

The opposition failed to own the message too (I support them, but I refuse to absolve them) So the owners of Nigeria retained their power at the center, the struggle continues bro.

BTW if you like comparative politics and history, please find time to watch this new PBS documentary about the Mexican Revolution titled The Storm That Swept Mexico. It's currently showing on PBS, I believe.

Just think about Nigeria as you watch and the similarities will hit you like a rock. I feel kinda sorry for GEJ(that is if he believed he could actually tame this people) anyway, he will make loads of money for his family to last for generations. .  undecided

Mehn, Ileke Idi, you are posting fire today o!  cheesy
Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by EzeUche2(m): 9:47pm On May 10, 2011
Seems like he has overlooked us. Now what are we going to do about it? Or should I say, what are Ndigbo political leaders going to do about it. This was the worst case scenario that was fearing. And it indeed happened. I do not know who I am more angry with, Obasanjo, Jonathan or Igbp political leaders. This is a situation that the Ndigbo could have avoided. That is why we need Igbo leaders like me, who will only care about their people and nothing but their people.
Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by kasiem(m): 10:17pm On May 10, 2011
This whole mess is just preparing ground for a possible rejuvenation of the northern hegemony. If Gej happens to fail in repaying the igbo, it'll definitely deal the coup the grace to much anticipated ss/se cohesion,thereby, giving the northerners the upper hand thrive in a nigeria where the south is bereft of unity. As for those claiming that the positions are of no importance, bear it in mind that the outcome of this recent elections will make many leaders to be people oriented. So, we can benefit from those positions if we happen to get nice representatives.
Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by Rhino5dm: 10:18pm On May 10, 2011
Truth be told the SE did not put anything on ground that will make them relevant.

They wen't for the money and quickly declear their support for GEJ without making ANY concrete demand in return.

When you stand for northing then you fall for nothing.
Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by Ngodigha: 11:01pm On May 10, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

Truth be told the SE did not put anything on ground that will make them relevant.

They wen't for the money and quickly declear their support for GEJ without making ANY concrete demand in return.

When you stand for northing then you fall for nothing.

Poor boy, stop chatting bollocks, what about the demands they made from Obasanjo. Which one of them did Obasanjo honour?.
I advice all of you to padlock your mouths until GEJ is sworn in.
Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by Nobody: 11:10pm On May 10, 2011
What didn't Igbo do with an 8-year senate presidency that must now be done with a house of reps speakership? And what did the SW gain from Bankole? Did they not vote him out themselves?

Lets concentrate on more important issues-seaport, a new niger bridge, the new international airport, etc.

We didn't vote Jonathan because of being the house speaker.
Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by EzeUche2(m): 11:12pm On May 10, 2011
^^^

You be efulefu. If Jonathan could not give us this small token of appreciation for our support of PDP. Then why should we expect PDP to give us anything else?

Sometimes I despise the way some of my people think.
Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by Ngodigha: 11:18pm On May 10, 2011
EzeUche_:

^^^

You be efulefu. If Jonathan could not give us this small token of appreciation for our support of PDP. Then why should we expect PDP to give us anything else?

My guy, do not act like that man of little or no faith. Wait till 29th May 2011.
Nothing spoil.
Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by Nobody: 11:31pm On May 10, 2011
EzeUche_:

^^^

Before calling me names, why not try to answer the question I raised?

Can anyone tell me one thing the SW achieved with Bankole's 4-year speakership position?

Let's hold Jonathan responsible for the pressing needs why we actually voted for him, things that will benefit the ordinary southeasterner on the street.
Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by Ngodigha: 11:33pm On May 10, 2011
mbatuku2:

Can anyone tell me one thing the SW achieved with Bankole's 4-year speakership position?

Let's hold Jonathan responsible for the pressing needs why we actually voted for him, things that will benefit the ordinary southeasterner on the street.
Wisdom.
Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by Rhino5dm: 11:43pm On May 10, 2011
So you are equating GEJ with OBJ shocked
Rmember this is 'your' presidency why should you be asking for what you can easily take?
No qualms cheesy

Ngodigha:

Poor boy, stop chatting bollocks, what about the demands they made from Obasanjo. Which one of them did Obasanjo honour?.
I advice all of you to padlock your mouths until GEJ is sworn in.
Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by yarodin: 11:48pm On May 10, 2011
Roads need to be built and repaired, Electricity a must, employment, Security etc and some people are coming here gloating about one damn position that will never impact their them in anyway.  Honestly I did not give a Bleep who became the speaker or senate president, all I want is improvement to start taking place.
Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by Nobody: 12:22am On May 11, 2011
mbatuku2:

These were Bank-Ole's achievements for the SW as speaker minus that of Madam [b]Ole[/b]bunmi Etteh.

N2.3bn car scam

N9bn torchlight scam
Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by EzeUche2(m): 12:41am On May 11, 2011
Anyway to console yourself, but the writing is one the wall. The Ndigbo are expendable in terms of politics. Even when you all see it in front of you, you continue to act like there is nothing is wrong.
Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by kasiem(m): 12:44am On May 11, 2011
Our leaders are performing abysmal is because we lacked good electoral system. Since we've gotten the much desired electoral reform which has imbued in them that power belongs to the masses, they'll start giving value to any position that they happen to find themselve,inorder, to win the heart of the electorates. Chris anyanwu as a mere senator has been able to benefit her constituency through several notable projects, like creation of hot fm in her area, thereby creating jobs for the people that sent her.
Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by jookco(m): 1:37am On May 11, 2011
@Justcash thanks for bringing up this crucial topic, I have been trying to get in touch with our South East Gov's to ask them how they can seat down and let this happen, we have been marginalized like we do not matter much in the society but that's not the case, infact we own more than 30% of all the properties in Nigeria. Buhari and Ribadou count us less important to be a vice president.

We must resist this latest attempt to deny us our right, and for those canvasing for Speakership I say no to that, we deserve to produce the Senate President lets be serious for once.
Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by jookco(m): 1:43am On May 11, 2011
@Justcash thanks for bringing up this crucial topic, I have been trying to get in touch with our South East Gov's to ask them how they can seat down and let this happen, we have been marginalized like we do not matter much in the society but that's not the case, infact we own more than 30% of all the properties in Nigeria. Buhari and Ribadou count us less important to be a vice president.

We must resist this latest attempt to deny us our right, and for those canvasing for Speakership I say no to that, we deserve to produce the Senate President lets be serious for once.
Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by dinggle: 1:54am On May 11, 2011
Over look Igbos ke? no he will give Igbos the right to import pure water, straw, tooth pick and bottles while speaker and senate president is rotated within yoruba and North! I said it b4 and will say it again
Nigeria is the field of play, yorubas and North are the opposite team playing against one another, Igbos are the soccer ball being used in the field of play! thats is how Nigeria has been since the end of the civil war and will continue until the Igbos go all out and to demand their position, not under table negotiation, "if I support u, wen e reach my turn u sef go support me". Only shows Igbo man has no confidence wen it comes to politics.
Re: If Jonathan Overlooks The Igbos, He And Pdp Are Finished In The Se And Ss by sbeezy8: 2:02am On May 11, 2011
jookco:

where do you guys pull these numbers from? lol

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Rivers State Bans Keke Napep In PHC / Authority Stealing: Jonathan Budgets Millions For Non-existing Aircraft, Boats / A Commercial Bank Manager Mr. Habeeb Olatunde Commits Suicide In Ogun State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.