Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,129 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:03 AM

A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines (6372 Views)

Guys Who Married Single Mums: How Did You Convince Your Parents / Working Mums: The New Way To Stay Close To Your Baby From Work, Funny Though-pic / World's Top 10 Youngest Mums (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by emmke(m): 3:45pm On May 11, 2011
to hell wit single mums. Some really wanted to trap the guy for their selfish reason, but they ended up being rejected by that same guy. They should leave wit it.
Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by georgem(m): 4:39pm On May 11, 2011
hat held high, left hand swing behind me and bending to show regards to all the ladies in this class. eh just those who were trully unfairly treated not those who got what they bargained for greedily.
Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by georgem(m): 4:46pm On May 11, 2011
@emmke, has one tried that with you b4? or are u one of such men who talks to their canvasses when the consequences come up? abeg make we know which side you dey
Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by dayokanu(m): 4:48pm On May 11, 2011
So can we call the 90 teenagers in the memphis High S chool who got pregnant at 13-17 heroines too?

Heroine ko, Cocaine ni
Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by Bawss1(m): 4:48pm On May 11, 2011
BTW I think many of us are spelling the word wrongly. I think the correct spelling is mom not mum  smiley
Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by bababuff(m): 5:26pm On May 11, 2011
Bawss1:

BTW I think many of us are spelling the word wrongly. I think the correct spelling is mom not mum smiley

Thank you.
Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by miraexcel(f): 5:34pm On May 11, 2011

have u ever stopped to realize she is being ridiculed because she decided to be unselfish and accept reproach for doing the right thing. she decided to give an innocent soul which though was a product of her past mistakes a chance of life, halting, distabilizing & making her own life hard by her decision.

because Ladies who abort and keep aborting their babies are often seen outwardly as smart and easily blend in with the crowd as wifey materials, however the lady with a good concience who gave up her status and good girl image in order to protect a life is castigated as "second hand" and is often rejected by men cos of her baggage. The truth is this lady ought to be viewed differently she has a pure, caring heart and would rather face consequences than cover her sins.

Thanks Swiftycool  for creating this interesting  thread. I’m glad a Nigerian guy can reason this way.
Hopefully, this thread will help in correcting  the impression that  JUST BECAUSE A WOMAN HAS A CHILD DOESN'T MEAN SHE DOESN'T HAVE ANY SELF-WORTH

I respect any good mother. Motherhood is a beautiful thing it’s not a negative thing regardless of whether you’re married or single. Anyone that knows my daughter will stand strong to discourage abortion. I’m glad I didn’t make the worst mistake of my life by aborting that pretty , smart and intelligent queen.  Being a mother is the most amazing thing I've ever done with my life period despite the challenges. Thank God I’m hardworking and independent and God Himself has been amazing!
Why would you condemn a woman even when you  know  nothing about her accept for the fact she’s a single mom…

If only all men did treat women that way there would be a lot less women that did end up as single mothers. So yes please all men don't make false/empty promises to the women you proclaim to love. Goes for women too.

Now, I’m not trying to encourage single motherhood but when the MISTAKE is made , abortion may not be the best option and for those who still regret having a child … please be happy because some married  have done everything possible but still cant have it…
Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by ifyalways(f): 6:14pm On May 11, 2011
See Dayo yapping and hyper ventilating,how many women have u made single mom's?.shioooor!

Those 17 yr olds did not put the baby in there all alone,the irresponsibilty,carelessness,stUpidity or whatever name "you" chose to give it is shared by 2 adults/teens equally.1 choose to deal with it,the other like a typical coward ran away/made excuses .
Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by dayokanu(m): 6:24pm On May 11, 2011
ifyalways:

See Dayo yapping and hyper ventilating,how many women have u made single mom's?.shioooor!

Those 17 yr olds did not put the baby in there all alone,the irresponsibilty,carelessness,stUpidity or whatever name "you" chose to give it is shared by 2 adults/teens equally.1 choose to deal with it,the other like a typical coward ran away/made excuses .

To my credit, None, Cos i always wrap it up.

2 ppl went to steal one ran away and the other waited to be caught,

So she should credit the second one for waiting to be caught . Or tag him a hero thief who didnt run away
Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by Nekai(f): 11:31pm On May 11, 2011
Unless you are only wrapping up christmas gifts, you are then a 'thief' as well.

Why condemn a fellow thief simply because he/she got caught?

The only 100% foolproof way of preventing pregnancy is abstinence.
Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by Bawss1(m): 9:07am On May 12, 2011
dayokanu:

So she should credit the second one for waiting to be caught . Or tag him a hero thief who didnt run away

You said it homie, folks here are now twisting the whole situation to make the woman a hero. Thats warped logic if you ask me.
Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by Bawss1(m): 9:12am On May 12, 2011
Nekai:

Unless you are only wrapping up christmas gifts, you are then a 'thief' as well.

How is that so? No crime has been committed in that instance. Besides all is well that ends well, no? cool
Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by agiboma(f): 10:17am On May 12, 2011
Single mothers do a job thats ment for 2 ppl to do i really respect all single mom's, i was raised in Canada by a single mother and i know how hard my mom struggled when her marriage to my father failed, so @ the end of the day single moms everywhere i praise you all
Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by chines4(m): 10:21am On May 12, 2011
dayokanu:

Dayo be careful wrapping paper dey tear oo. And noboby that wants to climb a tree plan to fall from there but the person fit fall oooo grin grin grin
Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by swiftycool(m): 2:26pm On May 12, 2011
Dayo, u seem vexed up about single moms of ages 13 to 17? These by most standards are still kids, often careless, ignorant or not well learned about results of their actions till they go astray. personally i believe a child ought to b well trained as well as monitored. its unfair to blame kids 4 getting wayward when newspapers celebrate pics of naked girls & random sex is being glorified on tv. D nation leads them to it yet turns around complaining. Am actually glad the poor girls didnt kill their babies!
Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by swiftycool(m): 2:36pm On May 12, 2011
Today we cry out about d decadence of society, when we gladly accept the unclothed "SUN girl"on dailysun newspaper, gladly buy a toy gun as a perfect gift for you or your bros baby boy, accept all sexual & vulgar language and violence on tv with a smile. These are what shapes the lives of kids if u dont know. Sadly a lot will make mistakes b4 they realise & turn around, such is the case of teenage pregnancy & juvenile violence.
Yes dose girls R wise 4 keeping d pregnancy society can take it 4rm there
Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by dayokanu(m): 3:10pm On May 12, 2011
swiftycool:

Dayo, u seem vexed up about single moms of ages 13 to 17? These by most standards are still kids, often careless, ignorant or not well learned about results of their actions till they go astray. personally i believe a child ought to b well trained as well as monitored. its unfair to blame kids 4 getting wayward when newspapers celebrate pics of unclothed girls & random sex is being glorified on tv. D nation leads them to it yet turns around complaining. Am actually glad the poor girls didnt kill their babies!

Maybe we should blame the nation for the kids who also become thieves, assasins, gang members, r@p1sts etc.

Infact for all crimes in the world we can blame the system. Aint there kids like them who didnt fall into the crime or wrongdoing?

90 girls got pregnant in one HS, Next yr again a similar number would get preggers and we should call thm heroines for not learning from the mistake of the previous ones.

Every youth out there can do wrong and blame the society for it.

If someone kills ppl he can blame the media for showing movies of Schwarzenegger killing others right?
Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by swiftycool(m): 3:26pm On May 12, 2011
@dayo, Never underestimate what society has done even to u. Have u ever wondered why single mums are not common in islamic societies? No they dont abort them, because thats even another punishment both 4 doc & paitient. Society made those "die for Allah" suicide bombers what they are and how they live. change a persons immidiate society and you most likely would change their ideals. Ever wonderd y the villagers R more honest n down to earth than city dwellers? Ans:The less corrupted society they grew up in!
Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by totorimi: 4:28pm On May 12, 2011
It is important we give kudos to those who deserve it. Given it is divine to give life than to take it away, but we know most single mothers today never wanted the child some tried all they could but the pregnancy refused to go away, while some abandoned their children only to go back for them when somebody else has weaned them, some even disowned the child only to go back when someone else has helped them cover their shame.
The ones that deserve to be praised are those innocent girls that were deceived and lied to by men and pregnated then abandoned, but as true children of God held on, through the rough times to carry the shame all through the nine months and nurture the children trusting God for just rewards. These are the real heroines of our time they deserve the applauds and not the prostitutewhose stock in trade is to get pregnant for every Tom, Dick and Harry and then produce bastards all over the place. They are disgrace not to be praised or applauded in any way.
Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by Bawss1(m): 4:46pm On May 12, 2011
totorimi:

It is important we give kudos to those who deserve it. Given it is divine to give life than to take it away, but we know most single mothers today never wanted the child some tried all they could but the pregnancy refused to go away, while some abandoned their children only to go back for them when somebody else has weaned them, some even disowned the child only to go back when someone else has helped them cover their shame.
The ones that deserve to be praised are those innocent girls that were deceived and lied to by men and pregnated then abandoned, but as true children of God held on, through the rough times to carry the shame all through the nine months and nurture the children trusting God for just rewards. These are the real heroines of our time they deserve the applauds and not the prostitutewhose stock in trade is to get pregnant for every Tom, manliness and Harry and then produce bastards all over the place. They are disgrace not to be praised or applauded in any way.

Story
Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by dayokanu(m): 4:55pm On May 12, 2011
swiftycool:

@dayo, Never underestimate what society has done even to u. Have u ever wondered why single mums are not common in islamic societies? No they dont abort them, because thats even another punishment both 4 doc & paitient. Society made those "die for Allah" suicide bombers what they are and how they live. change a persons immidiate society and you most likely would change their ideals. Ever wonderd y the villagers R more honest n down to earth than city dwellers? Ans:The less corrupted society they grew up in!

You grew up in the same society that drug dealers grew up in. People choose to be whatever they want to be.

Every irresponsible person in the world has a neighbour who grew up in the same environment and chose to be responsible.
Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by Nobody: 5:27pm On May 12, 2011
dayokanu:

You grew up in the same society that drug dealers grew up in. People choose to be whatever they want to be.

Every irresponsible person in the world has a neighbour who grew up in the same environment and chose to be responsible.

I wonder how you get to see us 'earthling' from all the up your high horse! undecided
Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by dayokanu(m): 5:54pm On May 12, 2011
Are you earthling? Cos I can see you especially when taking your bath
Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by armyofone(m): 6:18pm On May 12, 2011
undecided undecided undecided
dayo you sure say you never make some gal single mom, dey here dey yarm aramaic

tongue tongue
Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by dayokanu(m): 6:36pm On May 12, 2011
armyofone:

undecided undecided undecided
dayo you sure say you never make some gal single mom, dey here dey yarm aramaic

tongue tongue

You are tops on my list of ppl to make moms.

You have been declining my invite for weeks now angry angry
Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by queensmith: 8:47pm On May 12, 2011
swiftycool:

Today we cry out about d decadence of society, when we gladly accept the unclothed "SUN girl"on dailysun newspaper, gladly buy a toy gun as a perfect gift for you or your bros baby boy, accept all sexual & vulgar language and violence on tv with a smile. These are what shapes the lives of kids if u dont know. Sadly a lot will make mistakes b4 they realise & turn around, such is the case of teenage pregnancy & juvenile violence.
Yes dose girls R wise 4 keeping d pregnancy society can take it 4rm there

i agree with all except the bolded part, whats 'wise' about it? being preganant is no reason to have a baby, theres no wisdom in it whatsoever. . . . . . im sure most don event think about the situation they are in or how the child will be taken care of undecided undecided

anyways imo the topic is bs, I dont see anything heroic about having a baby by yourself, most of the kids either follow the same path or turn criminals. Why on earth will anyone celebrate that?
Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by dearzi(f): 9:55pm On May 12, 2011
I don't know if calling all single mothers "heroes" is wise. Before saying it's the western ladies that have babies for child support et al, I HAVE SEEN AND MET NIGERIANS who have had babies in order to either trap a man into marriage, or for child support. While I applaud SOME single mothers for sticking to their conviction(s), not every single mother should be swept under the blanket of heroines.

IMO the circumstances surronding the conception and birth of that child is what should determine who is a hero. While we're patting every single mother (I totally do not agree with it)[sup][/sup] we're not celebrating the real heroes who happen to be "single mothers-" women who have been abandoned by their spouses, widows,women who adopt to help save a life (probably abandoned by another single mother) selfless women raising children who are not biologicall theirs, women who hold down the fort while the men/ baby daddies are"working," women who escape abusive realtionships and take their children with them-toiling to improve their lives, I can go on. These are the real heroes, in my book!

When you decide to have sex, willingly, you should be willing to pay for the consequences. So in my book, single mothers fall into different categories:
Responsible--Rising to the occassion to have and raise their kids, and not repeating history!
Opportunistic-- hoping if you get pregnant he will put a ring on it! come on honey, be wise! they don't always put a ring on it! if you tried it the first, second and then third time- there is clearly something wrong with you! angry
Brave/ Hero
etc,  rising above all odds to do what's in the best interest of self and the children, whether you had the baby or not-  people need to know that for some women having an abortion is not easy and stays with them for the rest of their lives!

So if the shoe fits, then wear it!

This is such a hot topic, can make a girl riled up!
Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by blackis(m): 10:59pm On May 12, 2011
Hmm, interesting contributions!!

The power to choose resides with every1 and we exercise it everyday of our lives. But the power to choose wisely is dependent on several other factors that may not be readily available to every1. This is where your educational exposure, family influences/guidance, societal norms/pressures, peer influences, religious inclinations, personal convictions, print/broadcast/social media intrusions etc help form or dictate what your daily choices are. Whether they be good, bad or great choices depends on the mix of all these things and more in different proportions and how it affects you. The outcome could be positive or negative based on how you process these influences. Ultimately though, the choice will still be yours to make!

For those who have come out doing great in life having made no mistakes and are stainless, well done!! (I doubt if there's any1 like that on planet earth!!) For those who 'mis-stepped' and have carried themselves up again, determined to do better congrats to you!! For those who need help, please get it asap.

Truth is that people process information and by extension those experiences i mentioned earlier differently hence the onus is on the individual to equip himself well enough to handle life through wise decision making!!

Good luck 2 every1.
Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by swiftycool(m): 6:45am On May 13, 2011
@queensmth et al, lets roll back a bit. Single moms wether we like it or not have come to be part of our society. I cant completely smile at a lady goin out of her way to become a single mom, (unfair tho, which ill come back to) just hoped dis thread will encourage those who erred already to dust up, turn around this reproach & make something good of it. But then We cant encourage dem if we treat them like outcatsts, all they did was preserve a life & nuture it. I am anti-murder, well maybe dats my downside
Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by Nobody: 10:30am On May 13, 2011
dayokanu:

Are you earthling? Cos I can see you especially when taking your bath

Lol cheesy

ashi!
Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by armyofone(m): 1:52pm On May 13, 2011
dayo na real akuna tongue
dayokanu:

You are tops on my list of ppl to make moms.

You have been declining my invite for weeks now angry angry
Re: A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines by ebonyjoy1(f): 3:24pm On May 13, 2011
My take on this whole thing is that any woman who is 40 and above should consider having a child. if it were abroard you could go to a sperm bank. :I dont Judge people but i feel life is too short to let society dictact how you should live it. and lets face it WHAT HAS SOCIETY REALLY DONE FOR US. Kudos to single mom they are brave and choose to live their life damning all concenquences to do what makes em happy.

Your Children will be your pride and joy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Pastor Doesn't Want Me To Marry My Fiance / Twin Marries Twin, And They Have Identical Twin Boys / Mother Or Father: Who Do You Love Most?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.