Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:23 AM

Is Marriage To Cousins A Taboo In Your Part Of Nigeria? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Marriage To Cousins A Taboo In Your Part Of Nigeria? (1590 Views)

Benue Cousins Insist On Marrying Each Other Despite Stiff Oppositions / So This Is Marriage? / Suitors Now Prefer Our Maids For Marriage To Our Daughters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Marriage To Cousins A Taboo In Your Part Of Nigeria? by aribisala0(m): 4:59pm On Jul 09, 2021
Recently I came across two Nigerians from different states who married their cousin. For now I will not disclose state or religion.
We talked and they were both open about it. They said it is not unusual in their part of the country and that it is even actively encouraged and some people know who they will marry from childhood
They mentioned "benefits" e.g strong family ties and "keeping wealth in the family"
I asked about the risk of children with defects but they discounted this both claiming to have very healthy children

In Yoruba land where I come from to the best of my knowledge it is taboo but I am told it happens in a few parts.

What is the situation where you are from
Re: Is Marriage To Cousins A Taboo In Your Part Of Nigeria? by babs18: 5:05pm On Jul 09, 2021
Let's wait for elders
Re: Is Marriage To Cousins A Taboo In Your Part Of Nigeria? by Karleb(m): 5:09pm On Jul 09, 2021
It's unhealthy and a taboo where I come from.

In the north, it's a normal thing.

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage To Cousins A Taboo In Your Part Of Nigeria? by wunmi590(m): 5:10pm On Jul 09, 2021
undecided

My hand no dey
Re: Is Marriage To Cousins A Taboo In Your Part Of Nigeria? by aribisala0(m): 5:11pm On Jul 09, 2021
Considering how life is these days it is expected that many people might have been tempted to have sex with their cousins but this is usually considered shameful if discovered but taking it to the level of marriage is frowned on. I know some communities/groups even forbid marriage from the same village
Interestingly it is no forbidden in the bible or Quran. I hear it is very common in the Middle East e.g Dubai

2 Likes

Re: Is Marriage To Cousins A Taboo In Your Part Of Nigeria? by aribisala0(m): 5:12pm On Jul 09, 2021
Karleb:
It's unhealthy and a taboo where I come from.

In the north, it's a normal thing.

Can I ask where you are from?
Re: Is Marriage To Cousins A Taboo In Your Part Of Nigeria? by Karleb(m): 5:14pm On Jul 09, 2021
aribisala0:

Can I ask where you are from?

Yoruba.
Re: Is Marriage To Cousins A Taboo In Your Part Of Nigeria? by aribisala0(m): 5:20pm On Jul 09, 2021
Karleb:

Yoruba.

I do not think it is a formal taboo.
It is actively discouraged but taboo I am not sure

I should point out that when it comes to marriage traditions /sexuality Yoruba do not have the same customs everywhere
e.g Ijebu do not circumcise female

Interestingly IN NIGERIAN LAW it is not forbidden

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage To Cousins A Taboo In Your Part Of Nigeria? by Pierocash(m): 5:50pm On Jul 09, 2021
In my place,if you have sexual intercourse with your relative,and don't confess it ,both of you will die. It is a taboo. Not to talk of marrying each other.

In Yoruba land,some marry like that.

The wife of Ladoja happens to be his cousin as I learnt
Re: Is Marriage To Cousins A Taboo In Your Part Of Nigeria? by aribisala0(m): 6:02pm On Jul 09, 2021
Pierocash:
In my place,if you have sexual intercourse with your relative,and don't confess it ,both of you will die. It is a taboo. Not to talk of marrying each other.

In Yoruba land,some marry like that.

The wife of Ladoja happens to be his cousin as I learnt

Where is your place?
Do you have facts of those that marry like that in Yoruba land?
Ladoja married his cousin? Can you give more specific details
Re: Is Marriage To Cousins A Taboo In Your Part Of Nigeria? by food4tot: 6:03pm On Jul 09, 2021
aribisala0:

I do not think it is a formal taboo.
It is actively discouraged but taboo I am not sure

I should point out that when it comes to marriage traditions /sexuality Yoruba do not have the same customs everywhere
e.g Ijebu do not circumcise female

Interestingly IN NIGERIAN LAW it is not forbidden

Which Yoruba sub-group circumcise their females?
Re: Is Marriage To Cousins A Taboo In Your Part Of Nigeria? by aribisala0(m): 6:05pm On Jul 09, 2021
food4tot:

Which Yoruba sub-group circumcise their females?
Historically virtually ALL except Ijebu . Though the practice is dying out now.
The failure to do so by the Ijebu was a point of abuse by other "Yoruba" and a reason for fewer marriages with them

In Nigeria virtualy all groups are engaged in the practice and there are many academic articles about this online
Re: Is Marriage To Cousins A Taboo In Your Part Of Nigeria? by Youngvegetable: 6:56pm On Jul 09, 2021
Autism is real. Don't play with that sh!t
Re: Is Marriage To Cousins A Taboo In Your Part Of Nigeria? by aribisala0(m): 7:16pm On Jul 09, 2021
Youngvegetable:
Autism is real. Don't play with that sh!t
Autism is caused by marrying cousins?
Re: Is Marriage To Cousins A Taboo In Your Part Of Nigeria? by Pierocash(m): 7:19pm On Jul 09, 2021
aribisala0:

Where is your place?
Do you have facts of those that marry like that in Yoruba land?
Ladoja married his cousin? Can you give more specific details
I watched the interview live many years ago from Ladoja's wife in person ,narrating to the presenter how she met her husband.

She said it that Ladoja is her cousin
Re: Is Marriage To Cousins A Taboo In Your Part Of Nigeria? by aribisala0(m): 7:23pm On Jul 09, 2021
Pierocash:
I watched the interview live many years ago from Ladoja's wife in person ,narrating to the presenter how she met her husband.

She said it that Ladoja is her cousin
If that is true then it must be in the public domain/intternet

There are many degrees of "cousin" . On this thread I am referring specifically to First Cousins i.e children of a Full sibling of a father or mother. Not second third cousin etc

Though in my part of Nigeria if all of these are discouraged generally.

Anyway you would seem to be the only one to have watched that interview and even if that were true it does not mean it is accepted practice in Yorubaland as you suggested. It is not
Re: Is Marriage To Cousins A Taboo In Your Part Of Nigeria? by Pierocash(m): 7:39pm On Jul 09, 2021
aribisala0:
If that is true then it must be in the public domain/intternet

There are many degrees of "cousin" . On this thread I am referring specifically to First Cousins i.e children of a Full sibling of a father or mother. Not second third cousin etc

Though in my part of Nigeria if all of these are discouraged generally.

Anyway you would seem to be the only one to have watched that interview and even if that were true it does not mean it is accepted practice in Yorubaland as you suggested. It is not
the word cousin connotes family ties,whether 1st,2nd,or 3rd cousin, they are related by blood.

In my place you can't date even your hundredth cousin not to talk of marrying them.
Re: Is Marriage To Cousins A Taboo In Your Part Of Nigeria? by aribisala0(m): 7:41pm On Jul 09, 2021
Pierocash:
the word cousin connotes family ties,whether 1st,2nd,or 3rd cousin, they are related by blood.

In my place you can't date even your hundredth cousin not to talk of marrying them.
Where is your place? Are you ashamed to tell us?
Re: Is Marriage To Cousins A Taboo In Your Part Of Nigeria? by Pierocash(m): 7:43pm On Jul 09, 2021
aribisala0:
Where is your place? Are you ashamed to tell us?

I am from the south south
Re: Is Marriage To Cousins A Taboo In Your Part Of Nigeria? by aribisala0(m): 7:44pm On Jul 09, 2021
Pierocash:
I am from the south south
There is no place like that.
Clearly you are not proud of your ethnic group
Re: Is Marriage To Cousins A Taboo In Your Part Of Nigeria? by Pierocash(m): 7:46pm On Jul 09, 2021
aribisala0:
There is no place like that.
Clearly you are not proud of your ethnic group
did you tell us where you are from? You only said yoruba. Yoruba is south west
Re: Is Marriage To Cousins A Taboo In Your Part Of Nigeria? by aribisala0(m): 7:49pm On Jul 09, 2021
Pierocash:
did you tell us where you are from? You only said yoruba. Yoruba is south west
I am actually not interested in place origin . Just the ethnic/traditional rules on endogamy whether among Yoruba Igbos Hausa Fulani etc

You are the one that came here and made statements about "My place" second you are the one telling us Yoruba practise cousin marriage and Ladoja married his cousin but this would never happen in "My place"
You have mentioned "my place" several times but are not proud of it
So if you did not bring it up I won't ask but since it is a matter of shame for you let us leave it
Re: Is Marriage To Cousins A Taboo In Your Part Of Nigeria? by Pierocash(m): 8:09pm On Jul 09, 2021
aribisala0:
I am actually not interested in place origin . Just the ethnic/traditional rules on endogamy whether among Yoruba Igbos Hausa Fulani etc

You are the one that came here and made statements about "My place" second you are the one telling us Yoruba practise cousin marriage and Ladoja married his cousin but this would never happen in "My place"
You have mentioned "my place" several times but are not proud of it
So if you did not bring it up I won't ask but since it is a matter of shame for you let us leave it
it is not a matter of not been proud or thing of shame.

I do not want to divulge my ethnicity to you in a public space because it has got nothing to do with the topic under discuss
Re: Is Marriage To Cousins A Taboo In Your Part Of Nigeria? by aribisala0(m): 8:13pm On Jul 09, 2021
Pierocash:
it is not a matter of not been proud or thing of shame.

I do not want to divulge my ethnicity to you in a public space because it has got nothing to do with the topic under discuss

Actually your ethnicity is important here BECAUSE YOU mentioned your place. No one forced you and you mentioned it TWICE so it is natural to question that if you do not want to disclose it fine but if you did then the purpose would be to interrogate your claim with regard to the topic . Your reason for not disclosing is not really believable because this is an anonymous forum
The other thing is your comment about Yoruba I want to believe that you are just ignorant and were not being mischievous

Cousin marriage is not approved anywhere in Yoruba land and your claim about Ladoja remains unfounded and unsubstantiated

There are imported customs in Nigeria Christian and Muslim but here we are focussing on traditional practice
Re: Is Marriage To Cousins A Taboo In Your Part Of Nigeria? by Pierocash(m): 10:33pm On Jul 09, 2021
aribisala0:

Actually your ethnicity is important here BECAUSE YOU mentioned your place. No one forced you and you mentioned it TWICE so it is natural to question that if you do not want to disclose it fine but if you did then the purpose would be to interrogate your claim with regard to the topic . Your reason for not disclosing is not really believable because this is an anonymous forum
The other thing is your comment about Yoruba I want to believe that you are just ignorant and were not being mischievous

Cousin marriage is not approved anywhere in Yoruba land and your claim about Ladoja remains unfounded and unsubstantiated

There are imported customs in Nigeria Christian and Muslim but here we are focussing on traditional practice
suite yourself

(1) (Reply)

Is Ogun State A Safe Place To Reside? / “laila Is Back”- 2baba, Others React As Ned Nwoko Gushes Over His 4th Wife And K / She Cheated And He Is Forced To Pay The Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.