Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:15 AM

Band 7+ IELTS Scores: What Did You Do Right Or Wrong? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Band 7+ IELTS Scores: What Did You Do Right Or Wrong? (356 Views)

All 2023 WAEC, NECO, UTME Low & High Scores What To Do In Nigeria / 15 Small Businesses Any Student Can Do Right Now / Boy Scores 400 In Post-UTME Exam Of Federal University Ndufu-Alike Ikwo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Band 7+ IELTS Scores: What Did You Do Right Or Wrong? by Drlumi: 11:11am On Jul 10, 2021
I wrote the academic version of the IELTS earlier this year and scored 9.0 in reading, 8.5 in listening and speaking, and 6.5 in writing, bringing my cumulative to 8.0. Why was the writing score so low? Because I made a mistake that you can learn from if you are yet to take the test.

Before that, however, I thought to share a few tips to help you prepare for the IELTS:

1. Don't underestimate the test. It is not merely a test of English, so prepare for it. Depending on how good your command of the English language is, take 2 or more weeks to prepare.
2. Be familiar with the format of the tests you will be writing. The academic version is different from the general version which is also different from the UKVI version.
3. Watch relevant videos. YouTube has really great resources for IELTS preparation!
4. Don't be overwhelmed if you start preparing and obtain low scores in practice tests. That's why you should start early! If your preparation is right, your scores will improve significantly.
5. Learn to detect distractions especially in the listening test. Many times, they would say things that are detours- they are meant to throw you off the path. Don't be distracted!
6. If you get confused along the way, ignore that question and move on to the next one. If you spend too much time on a question, it can throw you off balance and cost you other questions. It is better to sacrifice one point and gain the rest than to lose them all.

So why did I score 6.5 in writing (which dragged me down to a band cool? Well, I didn't manage my time properly. You can watch my video for a more detailed explanation smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJe8QGUfquM
Re: Band 7+ IELTS Scores: What Did You Do Right Or Wrong? by Drlumi: 11:13am On Jul 10, 2021
If you have taken the test and obtained a band 7+ score, please feel free to add your tips as well. If you are yet to take the tests or wish to sit them again, you can ask questions and I will answer the ones I can.

1 Like

Re: Band 7+ IELTS Scores: What Did You Do Right Or Wrong? by Ok2016: 2:09pm On Jul 10, 2021
Good day all, is there anyone that wrote Idp or BC exams today that resides in Dubai? Pls if u know of anyone, kindly inform me pls. Thank you

(1) (Reply)

Any Statistics Graduate Or Student Here / Study In CANADA For Free!!! Please Share, Share And Share. Thank Me Later! / 2021 Waec Civic Education Obj And Essay, Civic Questions And Answers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.