Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,710 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:31 PM

Do We Need To Repent Before We Can Be Saved? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do We Need To Repent Before We Can Be Saved? (219 Views)

What's That Thing Said By The Preacher That Compelled You To Repent? / Are There Atheist Who Want To Repent And Get Back With Jesus? / Pastor Bassam Adranly: 'My Ecounter With Jesus That Led Me To Repent' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do We Need To Repent Before We Can Be Saved? by livingchrist: 2:06pm On Jul 10, 2021
The short answer is yes!

Faith and repentance go together one cannot exist without the other.

Acts 20:21
Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Repentance means a change of mind, so we could change our mind about practically anything but there is one repentance that could save us, it is the repentance toward God.

Every human being thinks he or she is ok the way they are until they hear the gospel, the gospel first present us with the bad news which is that we not ok at all, all our righteousness, goodness, piety including the way we view ourselves are all far from the way God sees us.

The bad news is that in our current position and state including our current mindset and thinking we are all heading to destruction.

Many religion do preach self amendment or moral uprightness as the solution, some confused this as the repentance that lead to life, if this is true then there is no bad news at all.
A car that could self repair itself has no issue, but the reality is that non of our effort can change our situation, this is the real bad news not many people can accept this truth.

The want to believe there is something atleast they could do to change their situation but God says no there is nothing.

Romans 3:10
As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

Isaiah 64:6
But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

This is the reality of the human condition,
So we repent when we turn from our ways and his thoughts

Isaiah 55:7
Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.

To turn from our ways and thoughts call for a total examination of our standards, how we see life, how we view God and his word. Do we see God as our mate or as one far off that can not possibly see or beware of what is happening? Do we view the bible as the word of men that can be change to suite our narratives?

Do we see God as he is or what we like him to be?
Do we take cover in carrying out religious activities such prayers and fastings, arms giving, being a preacher etc

Do we see ourself better than other people base on our colour, gender, class, educational qualifications, denominations or age?

Do we just see God as a religious figure jingled by religious fanatic or extemist?

Do we practice christianity to be on the safe side?

Do we fear being labeled as a religious fanatic or extremist, so you just try to be the balanced, rational type of Christian?
These are a few questions needed for self examination.

It all boils down to just one question, i.e Man or God who is right?

Some think God does not exist, if he exist how do I know it is the Christian God?

Or what if scientist are right that the universe has always being a constant that only changes in energy occured?

Yet two things are well examined in life
1. For every effect there must be a cause
2. Life can only come from life

These two unequivocally point to the existence a creator.

When we believe what God says over what humans says or what we previously thought then we have just repented.
This repentance of course lead to a change of actions.

It is only when we believe what God says, can we believe on Christ.

God tells us we have a problem and in danger, that faith in Jesus is the only solution.
When we believe this then we can we can put our trust in Jesus then and only then will we become born of God.
Re: Do We Need To Repent Before We Can Be Saved? by livingchrist: 2:21pm On Jul 10, 2021
Do you believe what Jesus says about himself?
He said he is the bread of life, Hes said he is the son of God, He is the door and way to God.
He said he was sent by the father for just one mission to redeem you, He said he gives eternal life to those who trust in him and they will never perish,
He said he is the only way, he is the good shepherd that lay his life down for his sheep,

He said alot concerning himself and the father

Do you really really believe him 101%? Only so can you believe in Jesus.
This is the repentance that lead to life.

Living a moral life, doing good, having good mind or even trying to practice Christianity without believing everything Jesus said, is not the repentance that lead to life.
Re: Do We Need To Repent Before We Can Be Saved? by livingchrist: 2:24pm On Jul 10, 2021
Why many who strive to make heaven will not?

Luke 13:24 Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.

Jesus said many who strive to enter in to the narrow way will not be able,
why?

Because they go through the wrong way!
Re: Do We Need To Repent Before We Can Be Saved? by sonmvayina(m): 3:00pm On Jul 10, 2021
Is the messiah going to save you or redeem you? being saved is a Christian term. Saved from what? Redemption is what it’s all about. Now that you know this go and read the Torah correctly, honestly what saving did you need in the first place?
Example of the word redeem ;
redeemed for money. (isiah 52:3).
Where in the Torah does it say one needs to worship a messiah to be saved? Messiah and Savior are NOT the same word. Everytime Messiah (Mashiach) is mentioned it is a human who was annointed. Everytime Savior (Moshia) is mentioned it is talking about God... It is not my lord spoke to the lord.I am going to show you an example of Moshia isiah 43:11I, I am the Lord, and besides Me there is no Savior.
God is the Moshia or Savior while the annointed king or Messiah is Mashiach.

What is saved or to be redeemed?
Being redeemed does not equal saved. saved in the torah refers to the physical life being rescued from danger. It has nothing to do with the immortal soul and does not need to be "saved" from hell.
The root word is גאל (redeem) means to buy something back. Moses redeemed Israel from slavery. We are not even talking sins. we have repentance and that means regret what you did learn from your mistake and seek forgiveness. Repentance means return to god.
look up of the word משיע (savior) in the Jewish scriptures shows up over 250 times and consistently carries the idea of BEING SAVED FROM ONE'S ENEMIES and NOT TO BE SAVED FROM SIN! The point about sin is that God has given us mastery over it and where one needs forgiveness God has provided repentance which effects his forgiveness. What you do does count, especially when it comes to repentance but do not take my word for it:
12 “Therefore you, O son of man, say to the children of your people: ‘The righteousness of the righteous man shall not deliver him in the day of his transgression; as for the wickedness of the wicked, he shall not fall because of it in the day that he turns from his wickedness; nor shall the righteous be able to live because of his righteousness in the day that he sins.’ 13 When I say to the righteous that he shall surely live, but he trusts in his own righteousness and commits iniquity, none of his righteous works shall be remembered; but because of the iniquity that he has committed, he shall die. 14 Again, when I say to the wicked, ‘You shall surely die,’ if he turns from his sin and does what is lawful and right, 15 if the wicked restores the pledge, gives back what he has stolen, and walks in the statutes of life without committing iniquity, he shall surely live; he shall not die. 16 None of his sins which he has committed shall be remembered against him; he has done what is lawful and right; he shall surely live. Ezek 33
Moses has parents he were generically referred to (Exodus 2:1) as "a man and woman from the tribe of Levi. He was a human who was born to regular human parents, as opposed to those who would believe that holy men must be descended directly from God. the Torah doesn't give Moshe's parents any praise for merely bringing such a special child into the world. when Moshe had grown up and matured to a level where God selected him to be the redeemer of the Jewish people and receiver of the Torah, did the Torah mention (Exodus 6:20) the names of his parents to extol them for taking his tremendous raw potential and raising him in a manner which allowed it to be translated into action. Being born of a virgin is not a qualification for a Messiah.
Isiah 40:25"Now, to whom will you compare Me that I should be equal?" says the Holy One.

He has no equal!! Nobody can save but god himself!
Isiah 42:8I am the Lord, that is My Name; and My glory I will not give to another, nor My praise to the graven images.

Why would you try to give jesus all the glory? Isiah 43:10"You are My witnesses," says the Lord, "and My servant whom I chose," in order that you know and believe Me, and ((understand that I am He; before Me no god was formed and after Me none shall be.)
There Shall never ever be! Are you ready for the word Moshia? 11I, I am the Lord, and besides Me there is no Savior.
(Isaiah 33:22For the Lord is our judge; the Lord is our ruler; the Lord is our king; He shall save us. : only he can he is the king of the Jews!!! )
Elijah will return as a prophet and announce the coming of the Messiah, as it is written, "Behold I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and awesome day of God" (Malachi 3:23). This is necessary because (the Messiah will be a king, and a king can be anointed only by a prophet.) Did you think he was coming just to enjoy a party? Yes there is a possibility that two messiah's might arrive!! Mashiach ben Yosef, and the final Messiah Mashiach ben Dovid... "Ephraim's envy will depart and Judah's adversaries will be cut off. Ephraim will not envy Judah, and Judah will not harass Ephraim" (Isaiah 11:13). That is, each Messiah will perform his appointed task, without jealousy. It is likewise written, "Son of man, take a stick, and write upon it, 'For Judah, and the children of Israel, his companions.' Then take another stick, and write upon it, 'For Joseph, the stick of Ephraim, and all the house of Israel, his companions.' Join them together into one stick, so that they are one in your hand" (Ezekiel 37:16-17). They work together!!!! Messiah will fight and be killed in the war of Gog and Magog. He will be mourned by all Israel, as it is written, "They shall look to Me because they have thrust him through, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourns his first born son" (Zechariah 12:10).
Which one of those is jesus? Think about it.... Christianity claims zechariah 12;10 for jesus and here it's telling you that that's the messiah who will die!!!! Are we going to mourn for jesus? Are you guys being serious? Some maintain that Elijah is a kohen, who will serve as the High Priest in the days of the Messiah, in the Third Temple. who knows! Who would be better for that job?
Re: Do We Need To Repent Before We Can Be Saved? by livingchrist: 3:33pm On Jul 10, 2021
sonmvayina:
Is the messiah going to save you or redeem you? being saved is a Christian term. Saved from what? Redemption is what it’s all about. Now that you know this go and read the Torah correctly, honestly what saving did you need in the first place?
Example of the word redeem ;
redeemed for money. (isiah 52:3).
Where in the Torah does it say one needs to worship a messiah to be saved? Messiah and Savior are NOT the same word. Everytime Messiah (Mashiach) is mentioned it is a human who was annointed. Everytime Savior (Moshia) is mentioned it is talking about God... It is not my lord spoke to the lord.I am going to show you an example of Moshia isiah 43:11I, I am the Lord, and besides Me there is no Savior.
God is the Moshia or Savior while the annointed king or Messiah is Mashiach.

What is saved or to be redeemed?
Being redeemed does not equal saved. saved in the torah refers to the physical life being rescued from danger. It has nothing to do with the immortal soul and does not need to be "saved" from hell.
The root word is גאל (redeem) means to buy something back. Moses redeemed Israel from slavery. We are not even talking sins. we have repentance and that means regret what you did learn from your mistake and seek forgiveness. Repentance means return to god.
look up of the word משיע (savior) in the Jewish scriptures shows up over 250 times and consistently carries the idea of BEING SAVED FROM ONE'S ENEMIES and NOT TO BE SAVED FROM SIN! The point about sin is that God has given us mastery over it and where one needs forgiveness God has provided repentance which effects his forgiveness. What you do does count, especially when it comes to repentance but do not take my word for it:
12 “Therefore you, O son of man, say to the children of your people: ‘The righteousness of the righteous man shall not deliver him in the day of his transgression; as for the wickedness of the wicked, he shall not fall because of it in the day that he turns from his wickedness; nor shall the righteous be able to live because of his righteousness in the day that he sins.’ 13 When I say to the righteous that he shall surely live, but he trusts in his own righteousness and commits iniquity, none of his righteous works shall be remembered; but because of the iniquity that he has committed, he shall die. 14 Again, when I say to the wicked, ‘You shall surely die,’ if he turns from his sin and does what is lawful and right, 15 if the wicked restores the pledge, gives back what he has stolen, and walks in the statutes of life without committing iniquity, he shall surely live; he shall not die. 16 None of his sins which he has committed shall be remembered against him; he has done what is lawful and right; he shall surely live. Ezek 33
Moses has parents he were generically referred to (Exodus 2:1) as "a man and woman from the tribe of Levi. He was a human who was born to regular human parents, as opposed to those who would believe that holy men must be descended directly from God. the Torah doesn't give Moshe's parents any praise for merely bringing such a special child into the world. when Moshe had grown up and matured to a level where God selected him to be the redeemer of the Jewish people and receiver of the Torah, did the Torah mention (Exodus 6:20) the names of his parents to extol them for taking his tremendous raw potential and raising him in a manner which allowed it to be translated into action. Being born of a virgin is not a qualification for a Messiah.
Isiah 40:25"Now, to whom will you compare Me that I should be equal?" says the Holy One.

He has no equal!! Nobody can save but god himself!
Isiah 42:8I am the Lord, that is My Name; and My glory I will not give to another, nor My praise to the graven images.

Why would you try to give jesus all the glory? Isiah 43:10"You are My witnesses," says the Lord, "and My servant whom I chose," in order that you know and believe Me, and ((understand that I am He; before Me no god was formed and after Me none shall be.)
There Shall never ever be! Are you ready for the word Moshia? 11I, I am the Lord, and besides Me there is no Savior.
(Isaiah 33:22For the Lord is our judge; the Lord is our ruler; the Lord is our king; He shall save us. : only he can he is the king of the Jews!!! )
Elijah will return as a prophet and announce the coming of the Messiah, as it is written, "Behold I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and awesome day of God" (Malachi 3:23). This is necessary because (the Messiah will be a king, and a king can be anointed only by a prophet.) Did you think he was coming just to enjoy a party? Yes there is a possibility that two messiah's might arrive!! Mashiach ben Yosef, and the final Messiah Mashiach ben Dovid... "Ephraim's envy will depart and Judah's adversaries will be cut off. Ephraim will not envy Judah, and Judah will not harass Ephraim" (Isaiah 11:13). That is, each Messiah will perform his appointed task, without jealousy. It is likewise written, "Son of man, take a stick, and write upon it, 'For Judah, and the children of Israel, his companions.' Then take another stick, and write upon it, 'For Joseph, the stick of Ephraim, and all the house of Israel, his companions.' Join them together into one stick, so that they are one in your hand" (Ezekiel 37:16-17). They work together!!!! Messiah will fight and be killed in the war of Gog and Magog. He will be mourned by all Israel, as it is written, "They shall look to Me because they have thrust him through, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourns his first born son" (Zechariah 12:10).
Which one of those is jesus? Think about it.... Christianity claims zechariah 12;10 for jesus and here it's telling you that that's the messiah who will die!!!! Are we going to mourn for jesus? Are you guys being serious? Some maintain that Elijah is a kohen, who will serve as the High Priest in the days of the Messiah, in the Third Temple. who knows! Who would be better for that job?

Just one question for you, if humans do not need redemption or salvation from sin, why were the Israelites commanded to slaughter animals, for sin offering, burnt offerings and various offerings so that nothing is done without shedding of blood why?

Leviticus 9:7
And Moses said unto Aaron, Go unto the altar, and offer thy sin offering, and thy burnt offering, and make an atonement for thyself, and for the people: and offer the offering of the people, and make an atonement for them; as the LORD commanded.

The last Time we had an encounter you ran away,

It was written that God's anointed (the messiah) will carry the sin of many,

Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Isaiah 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

Are these not the exact fulfillment of the animal sacrifice carried out in the Torah?

By the way there is a curse upon anyone who fails to keep all the words of the laws.

Deuteronomy 27:26
Cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them. And all the people shall say, Amen.

(1) (Reply)

Witnessing A Miracle / G-race From The Holy G-host / The Importance Of Gratitude In Our Faith Walk With God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.