Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,748 members, 7,824,153 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:55 AM

Akinwumi Adesina: Nigeria’s Poverty Situation Is Unacceptable - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akinwumi Adesina: Nigeria’s Poverty Situation Is Unacceptable (14447 Views)

Femi Adesina: Nigeria Needs A Leader With Iron And Steel / Femi Adesina: Nigeria Would Have Been Dead And Gone If Buhari Wasn’t Elected / Femi Adesina: Nigeria Built On False Foundation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akinwumi Adesina: Nigeria’s Poverty Situation Is Unacceptable by adenigga(m): 10:21pm On Jul 10, 2021
The President of the African Development Bank, Dr. Akinwumi Adesina, says that Nigerians deserve wealth, rather than poverty.

He stated that, for all the abundant wealth of natural resources, Nigeria’s poverty situation is unacceptable.

Noting that “there are way too many poor people in Nigeria,” he warned that there should not be a Nigeria for the rich, and another for the poor.

He lamented that 38.5 percent of Nigerian youths are unemployed, “lacking skills, economic opportunities, discouraged, angry and restless,” adding, “they look at a future that does not give them hope.”

Adesina made the remarks on Saturday in the convocation lecture he delivered at the American University of Nigeria, Yola, Adamawa State.

He stated that Nigerians deserve wealth, not poverty. He also counselled the nation to learn how to manage its diversity for prosperity.

While urging the government to prioritise investing in youth, he noted that “poverty is not just about money.”

He stated, “I speak to you today as a Nigerian. As I have quite often said, I will live as a Nigerian, die as a Nigerian, and on the resurrection morning, I will ask God for permission to rise as a Nigerian, with the green-white-green flag in my hand!

“Nigeria is blessed with incredibly rich diversity: of people, of cultures, of religions, of mineral resources, oil, and gas, amazingly rich biodiversity, that should make us the envy of the world. We are blessed with abundantly diverse agro-ecologies that should also make us a land of bountiful harvests with capacity to feed Africa.

“We are a religious nation, so we should understand that God loves diversity. The diversity of rich and brilliant colours that we see in our forests, oceans, seas, and in flora and fauna, reflect the beauty of the Creator. Therefore, our diversity is not our problem.

“Diversity is our strength. But when mismanaged, diversity becomes divergence. Rather than unite, we become splintered, with each entity believing that, somehow, it is better without the other. We must manage diversity for collective good.

“Nigeria must start managing its diversity for prosperity. We must drive for national cohesion, not ethnic nationalities. We must address the fundamental reasons for agitations, by listening, understanding, removing prejudices and allowing for open, national dialogues, without preconditions, but with one goal: build one cohesive, united, fair, just and equitable nation for all, not for a few or for any section of the nation or religion.

“Nigerians deserve wealth, not poverty. For all the abundant wealth of natural resources, Nigeria’s poverty situation is unacceptable. Today, sadly, there are way too many poor people in Nigeria. The Government is implementing bold social programmess to reduce the number of poor, through interventionist programmes, but the fact of the matter is poverty is not just about money.”

Adesina counselled that there should not be a Nigeria for the rich and another Nigeria for the poor, adding that every citizen has the right to a decent life.
Source: https://punchng.com/Nigerias-poverty-situation-unacceptable-AfDB-President-Adesina-says

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Nigeria’s Poverty Situation Is Unacceptable by Ddmase: 10:22pm On Jul 10, 2021
Tired of grammar abeg

Abeg Jari I will Design a Professional Logo or Company Letterhead for your Business for 2k Only

MY Contact Here
https://www.nairaland.com/ddmase

28 Likes

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Nigeria’s Poverty Situation Is Unacceptable by 1bunne4lif(m): 10:23pm On Jul 10, 2021
IS THAT SO?
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Nigeria’s Poverty Situation Is Unacceptable by Daveambition(m): 10:29pm On Jul 10, 2021
He stated, “I speak to you today as a Nigerian. As I have quite often said, I will live as a Nigerian, die as a Nigerian, and on the resurrection morning, I will ask God for permission to rise as a Nigerian, with the green-white-green flag in my hand!

Haaba
Olorun maje...

65 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Nigeria’s Poverty Situation Is Unacceptable by chatinent: 10:36pm On Jul 10, 2021
The one that is paining me is his lips. One kiss from that lips go bi like screenshot.

I will write your assignments for you.Hit me up.

2 Likes

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Nigeria’s Poverty Situation Is Unacceptable by adenigga(m): 10:42pm On Jul 10, 2021
Daveambition:

Haaba
Olorun maje...

My guy! I beg........

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Nigeria’s Poverty Situation Is Unacceptable by Tinubuadvocate: 10:47pm On Jul 10, 2021

That's language of elites those who enjoying Nigeria. Can someone who going to bed with empty stomach say this? Some dont even have a place to sleep .

112 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Nigeria’s Poverty Situation Is Unacceptable by Firstorderwizard(m): 10:47pm On Jul 10, 2021
Aboki no dey hear grammar undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Nigeria’s Poverty Situation Is Unacceptable by Nobody: 10:47pm On Jul 10, 2021
adenigga:

Source: https://punchng.com/Nigerias-poverty-situation-unacceptable-AfDB-President-Adesina-says
If you're very rich or wealthy or come from a very rich or wealthy home or you're a Nigerian politician(and your party is at the Central or controlling a state), there is no reason you won't love Nigeria.

55 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Nigeria’s Poverty Situation Is Unacceptable by BigSarah(f): 10:57pm On Jul 10, 2021
Coming from a privileged Nigerian, well even though he says the pure facts won't change Nada... SO fair enough

5 Likes

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Nigeria’s Poverty Situation Is Unacceptable by ceejay10(m): 11:04pm On Jul 10, 2021
Tinubuadvocate:

That's language of elites those who enjoying Nigeria. Can someone who going to bed with empty stomach say this? Some dont even have a place to sleep .
you just said my mind. Only the elites will say such cos they are privileged.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Nigeria’s Poverty Situation Is Unacceptable by 2elliot: 11:58pm On Jul 10, 2021
I don't know which country he is really talking about because ince KANU was arrested, Nigeria has become richest country in the world.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Nigeria’s Poverty Situation Is Unacceptable by Maxymilliano(m): 1:45am On Jul 11, 2021
He lamented that 38.5 percent of Nigerian youths are unemployed, “lacking skills, economic opportunities, discouraged, angry and restless,” adding, “they look at a future that does not give them hope.”

Don't let Osibanjo hear that from your mouth ooo, the man is always lifting Nigerians out of poverty every year on the pages of newspapers.

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Nigeria’s Poverty Situation Is Unacceptable by Igbudu1: 5:28am On Jul 11, 2021
Make the guy try contest...

Ngozi and him in a combo..

If not for these their delayed electoral reforms,.. Just pair him and lady NOI as independent candidates...

3 Likes

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Nigeria’s Poverty Situation Is Unacceptable by Btruth: 5:29am On Jul 11, 2021
Hummmm
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Nigeria’s Poverty Situation Is Unacceptable by Monogamy: 5:30am On Jul 11, 2021
What have you done about it as the president of ADB?

3 Likes

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Nigeria’s Poverty Situation Is Unacceptable by ReubenE(m): 5:30am On Jul 11, 2021
They don't say this whenever they visit Aso Rock.

This speech is more or less like, telling the people what they want to hear.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Nigeria’s Poverty Situation Is Unacceptable by crossfm: 5:34am On Jul 11, 2021
Hehehe.

Baba,they will soon call you IPOB member.
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Nigeria’s Poverty Situation Is Unacceptable by ChiefSosa(m): 5:37am On Jul 11, 2021
DSS will soon join your group chat.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Nigeria’s Poverty Situation Is Unacceptable by leo1234(m): 5:37am On Jul 11, 2021
But some think otherwise.

Soon they will accuse him of a crime.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Nigeria’s Poverty Situation Is Unacceptable by EliteStriker(m): 5:42am On Jul 11, 2021
No solution as usual
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Nigeria’s Poverty Situation Is Unacceptable by Lanretoye(m): 5:42am On Jul 11, 2021
All for papers...nothing good happens still

2 Likes

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Nigeria’s Poverty Situation Is Unacceptable by skywalker240(m): 5:42am On Jul 11, 2021
Poverty Capital and their wahala

5 Likes

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Nigeria’s Poverty Situation Is Unacceptable by Mindlog: 5:46am On Jul 11, 2021
Lai would soon release a statement claiming Adesina is lying.

1 Like

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Nigeria’s Poverty Situation Is Unacceptable by zombieHUNTER: 5:47am On Jul 11, 2021
Nigerian politicians are in wealth... While the useless masses who defend their oppressors on the alter of religious and ethnic sentiments suffer in penury...

A certainly rubber stamp senator have been shouting how Nigeria needs to borrow more money... That's she's broke..

The fat fool went on to marry another wife and gave her a hundred million as gift...

Do you know that such senator have supporters on this forum... Who can't afford a three square meal daily..

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Nigeria’s Poverty Situation Is Unacceptable by Brushstrokes20: 5:49am On Jul 11, 2021
Spot on adeshina!

Buhari is all shades of fiasco.... he's Nigeria's WORST blunder.

The nepotic, redundant coupist runs a useless govt of self serving THIEVES and blood thirsty TERRORISTS.

3 Likes

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Nigeria’s Poverty Situation Is Unacceptable by benuejosh: 5:51am On Jul 11, 2021
We have enough resources, our country is rich in that but you see the citizens... Buhari must come spoon feed them. No government in Nigeria has dashed its own citizens money the way this administration has done. A quarter of people here on NL have collected covid-19 loans in hundreds of thousands and other soft loans but what have they done with it to improve their lives? I heard of a guy who collected the money and went to buy TV, sound system, spent the money on what won't generate more income for him now the money is finished. The other guy declared drinks for his friends saying "I don hammer" and lots of other funny stories. The Buhari government has tried. Appreciate this man. Take advantage of the numerous opportunities and improve yourself and others.
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Nigeria’s Poverty Situation Is Unacceptable by Fasindo: 5:51am On Jul 11, 2021
shocked

Africa is poor because it is poorly governed.

The day African leaders will understand what leadership it's all about and begin to lead their people in the direct direction with a lot of sacrifice being made by those elected poverty will vanish in Africa

1 Like

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Nigeria’s Poverty Situation Is Unacceptable by Promismike(m): 5:53am On Jul 11, 2021

I doubt if you will still say this if u get to experience what poor Nigerians are going true.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

APC Convention: Modu Sheriff Steps Down From Race / Sanwo-Olu Pays ₦‎70 Million Compensation To Families Of Slain Police Officers / Micheal Chinda Discharged From Hospital ( Photo )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.