Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,832 members, 7,820,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:28 AM

Enugu Residents Turn To Potatoes As Yam Prices Skyrocket - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Enugu Residents Turn To Potatoes As Yam Prices Skyrocket (478 Views)

Super Eagles Eat Fufu & Pounded Yam Before Matches - Seun Kuti (Video) / "No Gree For Anybody": Multichoice Makes U-turn, To air All AFCON Matches live / Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Enugu Residents Turn To Potatoes As Yam Prices Skyrocket by milann: 9:12am On Jul 11, 2021
Some residents in Enugu have shifted patronage to sweet potatoes as alternative staple food as price of yam continues to soar, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.

A correspondent of NAN, who visited major markets in Enugu metropolis on Saturday, observed that sweet potatoes had flooded yam shops.

Some yam sellers are currently stocking only sweet potatoes in their shops due its high demand.

A bag of potatoes sells for between N7,000 and N8,500 as against the price of a heap of 12 sizable yam tubers which is sold between N6,400 and N7,000.

One medium-size of yam now goes for between N700 and N800 as against six sizable potatoes sold for N200.

Some residents said that potato produce had solved hunger in many families.

A resident, Miss Uju Ufondu, said that potato had made it possible for many families to still eat tuber staple food.

“At least with N500 you can get enough potatoes for your family and whichever way you prepare it, your family will be satisfied.

Another resident, Mrs Vivian Oba, said that the price increase of yam has forced to turn to potatoes for her family and also for its nutritional value.

“It has been proved that sweet potato is more nutritious, filling, and tasty than yam,” Oba said.

Some potatoes sellers told NAN that the price of the produce crashed due to its season as yam tubers are off season.

A potatoes seller in Garki Market, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said she had switched trade to sweet potatoes pending when new yams are harvested.

“I now sell sweet potatoes because of the increase in the price of yam, which has made most of my customers to stop patronizing me.

“So I quickly bought some bags of potatoes to sell as many now go for it and for me not to lose my customers,” she said.

Mr Kelvin Egwu, another seller, added that potatoes are now affordable than yam due to the continuous increase in the price of yam.

“Because of the high patronage in potatoes, I decided to switch over to it from my yam business pending when new yams start coming into the markets,” Egwu added.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/07/enugu-residents-turn-to-potatoes-as-yam-prices-skyrocket/
Re: Enugu Residents Turn To Potatoes As Yam Prices Skyrocket by lilvicky68(m): 9:14am On Jul 11, 2021
Wow .nice move. At least it will bring the price of yam down..
Re: Enugu Residents Turn To Potatoes As Yam Prices Skyrocket by SLAP44: 9:15am On Jul 11, 2021
Very good move, that state grows a lot of potatoes too.
Re: Enugu Residents Turn To Potatoes As Yam Prices Skyrocket by mrvitalis(m): 9:17am On Jul 11, 2021
lilvicky68:
Wow .nice move. At least it will bring the price of yam down..
And potatoes can easily grow in the east

1 Like

Re: Enugu Residents Turn To Potatoes As Yam Prices Skyrocket by richmond500: 9:19am On Jul 11, 2021
Lolz, my reaction when I read "Enugu residence turn to potatoes", grin grin

Re: Enugu Residents Turn To Potatoes As Yam Prices Skyrocket by Simplyleo: 9:19am On Jul 11, 2021
Maybe yam dealers from Benue don't want to fall victims, hence the shortage and attendant hike in price.

Onion incidence is still fresh in the minds of businessmen. wink

Btw, why resorting to potatoes? I thought everyone in Enugu is a super billionaire. They should be able to buy a tuber of yam for 20k, that should be a chicken change for a billionaire. cheesy
Re: Enugu Residents Turn To Potatoes As Yam Prices Skyrocket by jimyjames(m): 9:19am On Jul 11, 2021
By next month new yams will be out and the price will drop, what they sell now is old yams from last year session

1 Like

Re: Enugu Residents Turn To Potatoes As Yam Prices Skyrocket by Lawlab2: 9:20am On Jul 11, 2021
Ok
Re: Enugu Residents Turn To Potatoes As Yam Prices Skyrocket by BKayy: 9:20am On Jul 11, 2021
I wonder what they will be eating in the North now.
If food is costly in the south, how about the North?
I pity Aboki people
Re: Enugu Residents Turn To Potatoes As Yam Prices Skyrocket by Bluntguy: 9:22am On Jul 11, 2021
Ce ne pa Panadol.
Re: Enugu Residents Turn To Potatoes As Yam Prices Skyrocket by chukwunedum150(m): 9:23am On Jul 11, 2021
Enugu residents turn to potatoes? Hmmm it sounds somehow to me, As in they turn to potatoes? Nawaoo
Re: Enugu Residents Turn To Potatoes As Yam Prices Skyrocket by BKayy: 9:34am On Jul 11, 2021
richmond500:
food is extremely cheap in the north.

Btw, where is lalasticlala and mynd44
And who do you think you are lying to?
Simple math. When food is cheap in the south are northerners not starving?
The problem with North is that they monopolised what is beyond their capability.
They can't feed themselves but opted to monopolise food distribution, chasing other African countries from the market
Re: Enugu Residents Turn To Potatoes As Yam Prices Skyrocket by AntiBMC(m): 9:35am On Jul 11, 2021
Nice. Since this vegetable entered Aso Rock, prices of food have sky-rocketed. A cup of garri is now 150.

Dis is d worst nd most evil govt to ever rule UAR

1 Like

Re: Enugu Residents Turn To Potatoes As Yam Prices Skyrocket by richmond500: 9:36am On Jul 11, 2021
BKayy:

And who do you think you are lying to?
Simple math. When food is cheap in the south are northerners not starving?
The problem with North is that monopolised what is beyond their capability.
They can't feed themselves but opted to monopolise food distribution, chasing other African countries from the market
I said food is cheap in the north, I am not here to argue about monopoly and if u don't believe food is cheap in the north, then its fine, I can't argue with u
Re: Enugu Residents Turn To Potatoes As Yam Prices Skyrocket by BKayy: 9:37am On Jul 11, 2021
richmond500:
I said food is cheap in the north, I am not here to argue about monopoly and if u don't believe food is cheap in the north, then its fine, I can't argue with u
North is hungry.
Nothing is cheap in the north.
Infact there is scarcity of food in the North.
Stop lying on the Internet
Re: Enugu Residents Turn To Potatoes As Yam Prices Skyrocket by Realtalk20: 2:43pm On Jul 11, 2021
[s]
Simplyleo:
Maybe yam dealers from Benue don't want to fall victims, hence the shortage and attendant hike in price.

Onion incidence is still fresh in the minds of businessmen. wink

Btw, why resorting to potatoes? I thought everyone in Enugu is a super billionaire. They should be able to buy a tuber of yam for 20k, that should be a chicken change for a billionaire. cheesy

[/s]

You are so desperate for likes you are now sharing your own comments ?

Talkative grin

Kai

(1) (Reply)

Osimhen Fires Napoli To Victory In Another Test Game / Jack Grealish Set For Medical Tomorrow At Man City / Lionel Messi Poses With PSG Players

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.