Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,939 members, 7,821,291 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:01 AM

Sanusi: Cbn May Raise Interest Rate . - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sanusi: Cbn May Raise Interest Rate . (1680 Views)

PHOTO of Sanusi Lamido Sanusi (CBN) Governors Wife / Sanusi's CBN Performance: Soludo Was Better After All? / Is Lamido Sanusi (CBN Governor) Pursuing A Hidden Agenda? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sanusi: Cbn May Raise Interest Rate . by ngcompass: 10:55am On May 11, 2011
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) might raise interest rates again this year, if the government fails to rein in spending.

Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Malam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, said yesterday at the Royal Institute of International Affairs, London (Chatham House), that the apex bank was ready to tighten monetary policy to curb inflation, if a much-needed fiscal contraction doesn’t materialise.

“I believe that, in an environment where there are still lots of concerns about sovereign debt, the government will have to face up to the fact that the markets are jittery about debt,” Sanusi said

Sanusi said the apex bank “wishes to see the new government (Goodluck Jonathan administration) not only reduce overall spending but also cut its overhead costs, in favour of a greater proportion of capital spending”.

“It is not so much the size of the deficit but the very low levels of investment and capital. Lots of the money is being spent on salaries and overheads, and that is inflationary.”

http://www.compassnewspaper.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5868:-sanusi-cbn-may-raise-interest-rate-&catid=308:headlines&Itemid=600
Re: Sanusi: Cbn May Raise Interest Rate . by Nobody: 11:16am On May 11, 2011
That will be a politcal blunder,sacking people.
Re: Sanusi: Cbn May Raise Interest Rate . by Lagosboy: 12:17pm On May 11, 2011
ngcompass:

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) might raise interest rates again this year, if the government fails to rein in spending.

Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Malam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, said yesterday at the Royal Institute of International Affairs, London (Chatham House), that the apex bank was ready to tighten monetary policy to curb inflation, if a much-needed fiscal contraction doesn’t materialise.

“I believe that, in an environment where there are still lots of concerns about sovereign debt, the government will have to face up to the fact that the markets are jittery about debt,” Sanusi said

Sanusi said the apex bank “wishes to see the new government (Goodluck Jonathan administration) not only reduce overall spending but also cut its overhead costs, in favour of a greater proportion of capital spending”.

“It is not so much the size of the deficit but the very low levels of investment and capital. Lots of the money is being spent on salaries and overheads, and that is inflationary.”

http://www.compassnewspaper.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5868:-sanusi-cbn-may-raise-interest-rate-&catid=308:headlines&Itemid=600

Sanusi has been singing and screaming this statement for the last 5 months but the FG together with the over hyped Aganga and our legislooters keep ignoring the message.

GEJ has up to 100 Special advisers, another 100 Senior special advisers, then another 100 Special assistants topping it up with Senior special assistants. All these people have at least 5 different aides wich easily brings it to between 1500 and 2000 people benefiting from useless portfolios.

Dimeji Bankoles office of the speaker alone has 52 staff and below is my source if you want further info

http://www.speakersoffice.gov.ng/office.htm

How can we move foward when the speaker alone has about 4 photographers on the govt payroll. Each Legislator i believe employs another 4-8 staff under the payroll of the govt.

Maurice Ekpenyong
Chief of Staff

Peter Omolayo
Principal Staff officer

Eugene Ojogwu
S.A. Legislative Matters

Fanta Baba-Shehu
S.A. Members Affairs

Kayode Odunaro
S.A. Communications

Adenekan Gbadebo
S.A. Policy Coordination

Jerry Galadima
S.A. Speech

Abimbola Akintola
Principal Staff officer II

Motunlolu Onabolu
S.A. Legal

Samuel Onuigbo
S.A. Public Affairs

Afolabi Afuape
S.A. Politics

Musa Ebomhiana
S.A. Media

Nurudeen Abatemi-Usman
Principal Political Secretary

Idowu Bakare
Chief Press Secretary

Yusuf Shinkafi
Political Secretary

Victor Karunwi
S.A. Domestic

Ado Tundunwada
S.A. Party Affairs

Ebenezer Omodu
Political Secretary (Youths and Civil Societies)

Yinka Sosinde
Political Secretary

Kehinde Olaosebikan
Chief Photographer

Ifeoluwapo Adenigbagbe
Admin. Officer

Oladapo Sauban
P.A. Domestic

Haruna Jibrin
Admin. Officer

Babangida Abubakar
Protocol Officer

Shehu Somoye
Political Secretary

Emmanuel Oni
P.A. Protocol

Rashidat Osuolale
Secretary

Akintola Oladimeji
P.A. Political Secretaries

Kelvin Ogburie
Secretary

Irabor Ehis
Data Processing Officer

Kalambe Bukar
Head, Protocol Unit

Lawrence Uwak
Protocol Officer

Afolabi Gbadebo
Protocol Officer

Sadiq Abubakar
Protocol Officer

Gloria Ameh
Protocol Officer

Christy Olanrewaju
Protocol Officer

Hassana Abubakar
Protocol Officer

Ismaila Uba
Information Officer

Baba Abdullahi
Photographer

Abubakar Mohammed
Cameraman

Atiku Ibrahim
Chief Accountant

Bala Abdullahi
Account Officer

Nana Asein
Assistant Chief Confidential Secretary

Dorothy Nwakonobi
Principal Confidential Secretary

Nelly Foga
Secretary

Gregory Limbeabe
Senior Legislative Assistant

Patience Enemoh
Legislative Assistant

Paschal Anokwu
Admin Officer II

Ben Chukwuocha
Admin Officer II

Silas Ebenezer
Admin Officer II

Nuhu Dambaki
Clerical Officer

Anifowose Ajiboye
Clerical Officer
Re: Sanusi: Cbn May Raise Interest Rate . by Nobody: 2:44pm On May 11, 2011
Lagosboy:

Sanusi has been singing and screaming this statement for the last 5 months but the FG together with the over hyped Aganga and our legislooters keep ignoring the message.

GEJ has up to 100 Special advisers, another 100 Senior special advisers, then another 100 Special assistants topping it up with Senior special assistants. All these people have at least 5 different aides wich easily brings it to between 1500 and 2000 people benefiting from useless portfolios.

Dimeji Bankoles office of the speaker alone has 52 staff and below is my source if you want further info

http://www.speakersoffice.gov.ng/office.htm

How can we move foward when the speaker alone has about 4 photographers on the govt payroll. Each Legislator i believe employs another 4-8 staff under the payroll of the govt.

Maurice Ekpenyong
Chief of Staff

Peter Omolayo
Principal Staff officer

Eugene Ojogwu
S.A. Legislative Matters

Fanta Baba-Shehu
S.A. Members Affairs

Kayode Odunaro
S.A. Communications

Adenekan Gbadebo
S.A. Policy Coordination

Jerry Galadima
S.A. Speech

Abimbola Akintola
Principal Staff officer II

Motunlolu Onabolu
S.A. Legal

Samuel Onuigbo
S.A. Public Affairs

Afolabi Afuape
S.A. Politics

Musa Ebomhiana
S.A. Media

Nurudeen Abatemi-Usman
Principal Political Secretary

Idowu Bakare
Chief Press Secretary

Yusuf Shinkafi
Political Secretary

Victor Karunwi
S.A. Domestic

Ado Tundunwada
S.A. Party Affairs

Ebenezer Omodu
Political Secretary (Youths and Civil Societies)

Yinka Sosinde
Political Secretary

Kehinde Olaosebikan
Chief Photographer

Ifeoluwapo Adenigbagbe
Admin. Officer

Oladapo Sauban
P.A. Domestic

Haruna Jibrin
Admin. Officer

Babangida Abubakar
Protocol Officer

Shehu Somoye
Political Secretary

Emmanuel Oni
P.A. Protocol

Rashidat Osuolale
Secretary

Akintola Oladimeji
P.A. Political Secretaries

Kelvin Ogburie
Secretary

Irabor Ehis
Data Processing Officer

Kalambe Bukar
Head, Protocol Unit

Lawrence Uwak
Protocol Officer

Afolabi Gbadebo
Protocol Officer

Sadiq Abubakar
Protocol Officer

Gloria Ameh
Protocol Officer

Christy Olanrewaju
Protocol Officer

Hassana Abubakar
Protocol Officer

Ismaila Uba
Information Officer

Baba Abdullahi
Photographer

Abubakar Mohammed
Cameraman

Atiku Ibrahim
Chief Accountant

Bala Abdullahi
Account Officer

Nana Asein
Assistant Chief Confidential Secretary

Dorothy Nwakonobi
Principal Confidential Secretary

Nelly Foga
Secretary

Gregory Limbeabe
Senior Legislative Assistant

Patience Enemoh
Legislative Assistant

Paschal Anokwu
Admin Officer II

Ben Chukwuocha
Admin Officer II

Silas Ebenezer
Admin Officer II

Nuhu Dambaki
Clerical Officer

Anifowose Ajiboye
Clerical Officer

cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Sanusi: Cbn May Raise Interest Rate . by Nobody: 2:52pm On May 11, 2011
What is the current interest rate?
Re: Sanusi: Cbn May Raise Interest Rate . by Fhemmmy: 2:53pm On May 11, 2011
J12:

great question
Re: Sanusi: Cbn May Raise Interest Rate . by Nobody: 2:57pm On May 11, 2011
J12:

It hovers between 22-28%, rarely comes down to 22% and sometimes it shoots to 32%. Where USA, UK, Japan etc have interest rates of below 2%
Re: Sanusi: Cbn May Raise Interest Rate . by Fhemmmy: 3:11pm On May 11, 2011
blink182:

It hovers between 22-28%, rarely comes down to 22% and sometimes it shoots to 32%. Where USA, UK, Japan etc have interest rates of below 2%

I dont think the CBN rate is that high, i think you are talking about the bank rate . . . so what is the CBN current rate
Re: Sanusi: Cbn May Raise Interest Rate . by Nobody: 3:15pm On May 11, 2011
Fhemmmy:

I dont think the CBN rate is that high, i think you are talking about the bank rate . . . so what is the CBN current rate
Yes, talking about bank rates, do not know cbn present rate, its usually in papers though
Re: Sanusi: Cbn May Raise Interest Rate . by Fhemmmy: 3:18pm On May 11, 2011
blink182:

Yes, talking about bank rates, do not know cbn present rate, its usually in papers though

Imagine such bank rate . . . and they talking about some people defaulting on loans, how many people would be able to pay back such rate back with principal ?
Re: Sanusi: Cbn May Raise Interest Rate . by Nobody: 3:25pm On May 11, 2011
Fhemmmy:

Imagine such bank rate . . . and they talking about some people defaulting on loans, how many people would be able to pay back such rate back with principal ?
Honestly, I wonder why people even go to the bank to borrow. Nigerians should be borrowing from coperatives, where they pay 10% at most
Re: Sanusi: Cbn May Raise Interest Rate . by Fhemmmy: 3:28pm On May 11, 2011
blink182:

Honestly, I wonder why people even go to the bank to borrow. Nigerians should be borrowing from coperatives, where they pay 10% at most

How effective are those cooperatives and has things changed in a nation where it is always only about who you know and how many palms you could rubbed.
A nation where you want a loan of 1M Naira, but have to give a bribe of 500K to secure the loan and yet the interest rate is 22%, what a nonsense
Re: Sanusi: Cbn May Raise Interest Rate . by Nobody: 3:38pm On May 11, 2011
The politicians dont care,we need prodcutions in the economy,rent collecting is not helping our country,production needs to take place.
Re: Sanusi: Cbn May Raise Interest Rate . by Nobody: 3:46pm On May 11, 2011
Fhemmmy:

How effective are those cooperatives and has things changed in a nation where it is always only about who you know and how many palms you could rubbed.
A nation where you want a loan of 1M Naira, but have to give a bribe of 500K to secure the loan and yet the interest rate is 22%, what a nonsense

The coperatives function well, the one I belong to is ready to borrow me whatever amount provided my salary can pay it up in 12 months. 10% interest is deducted b4 u get the money so you only have to worry about returning the capital. The draw down is that you have access to very little money N1m at most.

olas2u:

The politicians dont care,we need prodcutions in the economy,rent collecting is not helping our country,production needs to take place.
Nigeria is not a country in any position to do any thing for her citizen, if you need production, then you should start it. I really do commend the work of SDE with regards to raising entrepreneurs.
Re: Sanusi: Cbn May Raise Interest Rate . by Fhemmmy: 3:55pm On May 11, 2011
blink182:

The coperatives function well, the one I belong to is ready to borrow me whatever amount provided my salary can pay it up in 12 months. 10% interest is deducted b4 u get the money so you only have to worry about returning the capital. The draw down is that you have access to very little money N1m at most.

You mean in Nigeria, you will be given such at 10% interest rate and yet no bribery?
Re: Sanusi: Cbn May Raise Interest Rate . by Nobody: 4:02pm On May 11, 2011
olas2u:

You need electricity,there is still double taxation in lagos,people steal what they produce for you,as you are sloving one problem you are seing another one.Exchange rate increase the cost of even chinese machines
How do you expect me to live long.The most profitable is to become a politican,when you see your mates making money without stress and nobody is aksing any question,you will be socially affected and change line,join them.
Re: Sanusi: Cbn May Raise Interest Rate . by Nobody: 4:23pm On May 11, 2011
olas2u:

You need electricity,there is still double taxation in lagos,people steal what they produce for you,as you are sloving one problem you are seing another one.Exchange rate increase the cost of even chinese machines
How do you expect me to live long.The most profitable is to become a politican,when you see your mates making money without stress and nobody is aksing any question,you will be socially affected and change line,join them.
Stop complaining and start, you are not the first to do it in Lagos, btw you are in a very good market, pick the area you are interested in and start your research. Ask your mentors how they did it. Work my friend, solve problems and you will start seeing nigeria from another perspective when the cash starts flowing in.
Re: Sanusi: Cbn May Raise Interest Rate . by Lagosboy: 5:08pm On May 11, 2011
Whatever the interest rate is , the bottom line is we would not have any meaninful development in Nigeria because a greater percentage of our budget is used to pay people for doing nothing. Political hangers on with no relevance, can someone tell me the role of a special adviser on diaspora affairs for example ?
Re: Sanusi: Cbn May Raise Interest Rate . by Nobody: 5:11pm On May 11, 2011
But he will makes so much enemies trying to reduce the size of govt.
Re: Sanusi: Cbn May Raise Interest Rate . by Nobody: 5:13pm On May 11, 2011
blink182:

Stop complaining and start, you are not the first to do it in Lagos, btw you are in a very good market, pick the area you are interested in and start your research. Ask your mentors how they did it. Work my friend, solve problems and you will start seeing nigeria from another perspective when the cash starts flowing in.

,Okay sha,I have tried 2 times now and the money dried up,i will go back to Nigeria for the 3rd time ,i have learnt somethings.
Re: Sanusi: Cbn May Raise Interest Rate . by Lagosboy: 5:18pm On May 11, 2011
olas2u:

But he will makes so much enemies trying to reduce the size of govt.

Which translates to Nigeria remaining underdeveloped for the next 8 years. is a bunch of 2000 parasites in govt worth more than than the future of 150 million Nigerians?
Re: Sanusi: Cbn May Raise Interest Rate . by Nobody: 5:20pm On May 11, 2011
Lagosboy:

Which translates to Nigeria remaining underdeveloped for the next 8 years. is a bunch of 2000 parasites in govt worth more than than the future of 150 million Nigerians?
How will he win second term,El rufia sacked people to reduce and create efficiency in BPE,the person that came after gave jobs to his kinsmen.How do you think his kinsmen will view El-rufai who did the right thing.
Re: Sanusi: Cbn May Raise Interest Rate . by Lagosboy: 6:10pm On May 11, 2011
olas2u:

How will he win second term,El rufia sacked people to reduce and create efficiency in BPE,the person that came after gave jobs to his kinsmen.How do you think his kinsmen will view El-rufai who did the right thing.

Buddie, Sentiments has no place in good governance , good governance is all about doing the right thing. It is the same paddy paddy culture that has left Nigeria behind in the committee of nations. Albert Einsteen said " you cannot keep doing the same thing and expect a different result" .

A Budget of 60 % recurrent expenditure and 40% capital expenditure is a budget doomed from the start in terms of economic development.
Re: Sanusi: Cbn May Raise Interest Rate . by Nobody: 6:19pm On May 11, 2011
Lagosboy:

Buddie, Sentiments has no place in good governance , good governance is all about doing the right thing. It is the same paddy paddy culture that has left Nigeria behind in the committee of nations. Albert Einsteen said " you cannot keep doing the same thing and expect a different result" .

A Budget of 60 % recurrent expenditure and 40% capital expenditure is a budget doomed from the start in terms of economic development.

The politicans are lazy and some have never worked before sef,The made money from Nigeria .what about ghost workers,some government officials collect salaries of gost and dead people,some collect 20 or 50 pay checks for themselves.
Re: Sanusi: Cbn May Raise Interest Rate . by jensinmi(m): 8:16pm On May 11, 2011
@Lagosboy.

Thank you sir for talking about all the special advisers.

Now,  look at our Ministries. We right now have about 19 Federal Ministries. Each with their own minister and legions of advisers and others.

Sanusi stated, and Buhari supported that we needed fewer. Some were saying reducing this number to between 10 and 12.

This is why I still believe that Nigeria would have seen more progress under a  "no-nonsense" leader like Buhari.

Everywhere you look, we have problems.

Is GEJ going to restructure the police and tackle corruption within their ranks??
Is GEJ going to restructure the Nigerian Customs service and tackle corruption within it??
How about the Judiciary?? Are we going to institute a small-claims court process?? How about expediting trials??

GEJ wants to be the good guy. Who steps on no toes to get to his destination. He doesn't know yet that you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.

Too much money is being spent on maintaining our bureaucracy. GEJ knows it. But he doesn't care. Wouldn't now have been the best time for him to reduce all these Ministries?? But NO. He won't do it. He'll appoint Ministers and keep these ministries going. Minister of Agriculture, and Ministers of State for Agriculture?? Someone please tell me what the difference is.

Look at it this way, all the attention the National Assembly is drawing is also distracting from where the real money is going. The maintenance of our Ministries and their workers, and the Presidency and Special advisers.

Forget about the Senators getting a significant pay cut. It won't happen. Let the reality of Nigerian politics hit all those new senators that are making mouth,  you will see that they will not talk about salary cuts anymore.
Re: Sanusi: Cbn May Raise Interest Rate . by Nobody: 8:51am On May 12, 2011
This Nigeria sha, one thing I know is that the grip of pdp is really weakening and it will only be a matter of time before change comes

(1) (Reply)

The North And The Continued Existence Of Nigeria / Few Collection Of Striking Tributes To Ojukwu / Christians Caught Attempting To Bomb Cocin Church In Bauchi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.