Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,974 members, 7,817,873 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:48 PM

6 Students Died In Adeniran Ogunsanya College Of Education, Acoed Within 2 Days - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 6 Students Died In Adeniran Ogunsanya College Of Education, Acoed Within 2 Days (37763 Views)

12-Year-Old Whitney Adeniran Dies At Chrisland High School (Photos) / FGC Ijanikin, Lagos Principal Speaks On Sex Scandal, Suspends 6 Students / Ambode Offers Fuhad Adetoro Ogunsanya, LASU Best Student N5m, Scholarship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Students Died In Adeniran Ogunsanya College Of Education, Acoed Within 2 Days by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jul 13, 2021
Let's be rational

1.Accident could have been due to bad vehicles, bad roads, and so on...all fixable

2.Other deaths could have been due to unsanitary conditions in the student's living quarters, or feeding areas.

Iroko tree my foot.
Re: 6 Students Died In Adeniran Ogunsanya College Of Education, Acoed Within 2 Days by Emeka71(m): 12:40pm On Jul 13, 2021
So
Re: 6 Students Died In Adeniran Ogunsanya College Of Education, Acoed Within 2 Days by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jul 13, 2021
Africa

1 Like

Re: 6 Students Died In Adeniran Ogunsanya College Of Education, Acoed Within 2 Days by achymmania: 12:40pm On Jul 13, 2021
AFRICA.
Re: 6 Students Died In Adeniran Ogunsanya College Of Education, Acoed Within 2 Days by Atom007(m): 12:40pm On Jul 13, 2021
We should ask ourselves where r they coming from or going in d night, most have drink due to night groove. We r here blaming innocent iroko trees. Arrant rubbush
Re: 6 Students Died In Adeniran Ogunsanya College Of Education, Acoed Within 2 Days by koxyz: 12:41pm On Jul 13, 2021
Iroko gbami lôwọ énu, people should desist from making comments on issues they know close to nothing about.
Re: 6 Students Died In Adeniran Ogunsanya College Of Education, Acoed Within 2 Days by aycorporat(m): 12:43pm On Jul 13, 2021
vanPELaj:
The IROKO MAN And the Wood Carver.
So you've read that wonderful book?
Re: 6 Students Died In Adeniran Ogunsanya College Of Education, Acoed Within 2 Days by bishop4life(m): 12:43pm On Jul 13, 2021
All those students are fools.
Re: 6 Students Died In Adeniran Ogunsanya College Of Education, Acoed Within 2 Days by Akinh: 12:47pm On Jul 13, 2021
Buahahhaha...if to say they way African in general and Nigeria to be precise .. believe in almighty God just like they way they believe in all this stuff I swear this country would have been a better nation.....and most ladies that will comment here will still visit their Gee bf, sugar daddies tonight or weekend... cheesy cheesy grin cool
Re: 6 Students Died In Adeniran Ogunsanya College Of Education, Acoed Within 2 Days by SeriouslySense(m): 12:49pm On Jul 13, 2021
Iroko (also known as ọ́jị̀ in Igbo language, 'uloho' in the Urhobo language of Southern Nigeria, and as odum in the Kwa languages of Ghana[1]) is a large hardwood tree from the west coast of tropical Africa that can live up to 500 years.[2] This is the common name for the genus Milicia, in which there are two recognized species, which are closely related: Milicia excelsa and Milicia regia.[3]

The tree is known to the Yoruba as ìrókò, logo or loko and is believed to have healing properties.[4] Iroko is known to the Igbo people as ọjị wood.[5] It is one of the woods sometimes referred to as African teak, although it is unrelated to the teak family. The wood colour is initially yellow but darkens to a richer copper brown over time.

1 Like

Re: 6 Students Died In Adeniran Ogunsanya College Of Education, Acoed Within 2 Days by SeriouslySense(m): 12:51pm On Jul 13, 2021
The wood is used for a variety of purposes including boat-building, domestic flooring, furniture and outdoor gates. From the late 1990s, it was used as part of the txalaparta, a Basque musical instrument constructed of wooden boards, due to its lively sound.[10] Iroko is one of the traditional djembe woods. Iroko wood was the wood chosen for the pews in the Our Lady of Peace Basilica.[11]

It is a very durable wood;[12] iroko does not require regular treatment with oil or varnish when used outdoors, although it is very difficult to work with tools as it tends to splinter easily, and blunts tools very quickly.[13]

In the UK there are no trade restrictions on the machining of this timber. The only reported adverse effects known to be caused by the dust from iroko are asthma, dermatitis and nettle rash.[14]

1 Like

Re: 6 Students Died In Adeniran Ogunsanya College Of Education, Acoed Within 2 Days by EmmaxKeys: 12:51pm On Jul 13, 2021
pacespot:
I hope they are not attributing their deaths to spiritual?

And if they do?
Re: 6 Students Died In Adeniran Ogunsanya College Of Education, Acoed Within 2 Days by EmmaxKeys: 12:52pm On Jul 13, 2021
Elidrisy20:
College of superstitious

So, you are a freethinker?
Re: 6 Students Died In Adeniran Ogunsanya College Of Education, Acoed Within 2 Days by SeriouslySense(m): 12:52pm On Jul 13, 2021
The tree is feared in some cultures where it originates and hence is shunned or revered with offerings.[15] Yoruba people believe that the tree is inhabited by a spirit, and anybody who sees the Iroko-man face to face becomes insane and speedily dies.[16] According to the Yoruba, any man who cuts down any iroko tree causes devastating misfortune on himself and all of his family,[16] although if they need to cut down the tree they can make a prayer afterwards to protect themselves.[17]

They also claim that the spirit of the Iroko can be heard in houses which use iroko wood, as the spirit of the Iroko is trapped in the wood.[16] In Nigeria the iroko wood is of much lower quality due to soil conditions as well as root-rot.[18][19][20] Some Westerners refer to the wood as "poor man's teak".[21]
Re: 6 Students Died In Adeniran Ogunsanya College Of Education, Acoed Within 2 Days by Vonama77: 12:53pm On Jul 13, 2021
see below

Re: 6 Students Died In Adeniran Ogunsanya College Of Education, Acoed Within 2 Days by Cerebellum: 12:53pm On Jul 13, 2021
angry

So nah ur mumu betting u fit post for person death

To slap you dey hungry me Ajeh!
Re: 6 Students Died In Adeniran Ogunsanya College Of Education, Acoed Within 2 Days by EmmaxKeys: 12:53pm On Jul 13, 2021
TruthHurts1:

At least as students in a College of Education, try to exhibit some level of logical reasoning before embarrassing yourselves like this.

Sttu! You think everything is logic.

I don't blame you, though. You reason because you are limited by your brain.
Re: 6 Students Died In Adeniran Ogunsanya College Of Education, Acoed Within 2 Days by ignis: 12:54pm On Jul 13, 2021
So Iroko tree can be very powerful.
Re: 6 Students Died In Adeniran Ogunsanya College Of Education, Acoed Within 2 Days by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jul 13, 2021
Isupaefugbemi00:
Africa my country
Africa is not a country

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Students Died In Adeniran Ogunsanya College Of Education, Acoed Within 2 Days by Tonyx5(m): 12:55pm On Jul 13, 2021
Drabeey:
Hmm, Iroko oluwere. cry

Ai tete p'eka iroko, Ebo nio ma gba.

To those of you who think there is no African Science. Oluwere is just a fucking tree but spirits love its as abode, esp Oluwere who is the God of Iroko tree.
Rip to the dead, but stop been F.ools. Give to Caesar what is Caesar's. Give that spirit Ebo (Sacrifice)

Drabeey was Here
Oga shey Ceasar complain give you ?
Re: 6 Students Died In Adeniran Ogunsanya College Of Education, Acoed Within 2 Days by zabuur: 12:56pm On Jul 13, 2021
Tintinnoty:
I left home with my pen this morning, I got to office but couldn't find the pen. I know is not ordinary, am sure the disappearance of my pen has a spiritual undertone..... grin grin grin

Mchew, your own was pen. Mine was food. I left home with food in my tummy this mooring, on getting to work, I started feeling hungry. I didn't go to the toilet ooo. The food had disappeared, I knew it wasn't ordinary
Re: 6 Students Died In Adeniran Ogunsanya College Of Education, Acoed Within 2 Days by Tonyx5(m): 12:56pm On Jul 13, 2021
EmmaxKeys:
I know wailers will flood this comment section to scientifically disprove the claim that the Iroko tree has nothing to do with the death.

Let me tell you, life is spiritual. No matter how you fight it, the truth is always painful. Science is not spiritual and has no spiritual perception. Science is just man's way of trying to interact with the realm of the spirit.

That aside...

I am not saying the Iroko tree is the cause. I am only saying it could be the cause, but you can't know because you don't have understanding. You are limited by your brain.

This is Africa. Africa is different from White man land. We have seen evil since time immemorial in Africa. Thunder striking big trees and the trees catching fire. After the trees got burnt, old people in the village started dying one by one. A pastor pouring anointing oil on the stem of a tree during a little crusade, because the tree was interfering. In the night, something mysterious happened. People woke up to find the pastor dead, with a long iron rod coming out from both of his ears. Nobody came to the man's room in the night. This was a pastor without power.

Or this one. A tree that men have been trying to cut down for years but didn't cut. But in one crusade in one of pastors, it fell down from its root without anybody touching it.

Life is spiritual my brother. Fight it if you can, but you can't I bet. The tree could be the cause.

"Free thinkers" think they are free. That's the greatest manipulation and deceit in history. shocked

I rest my case. Court!!!!
Good point
Re: 6 Students Died In Adeniran Ogunsanya College Of Education, Acoed Within 2 Days by SeriouslySense(m): 12:57pm On Jul 13, 2021
Uses
The tree yields a strong, dense and durable dark brown hardwood timber. It is resistant to termites and is used for construction, furniture, joinery, panelling, floors and boats.[6]

The tree can be used in the control of erosion, and for providing shade as a roadside tree in urban areas. It grows rapidly, can be coppiced and is ready for cutting after about fifty years. The tree is nitrogen fixing and the leaves are used for mulching.[7]

The tree is also used in herbal medicine. The powdered bark is used for coughs, heart problems and lassitude. The latex is used as an anti-tumour agent and to clear stomach and throat obstructions. The leaves and the ashes also have medicinal uses.[7]

Importance to the environment
In a study done on the mineralization of Milicia excelsa,[8] it was observed that in certain conditions Milicia acts as a carbon sink. These specific conditions are characterized by presence of oxalate, bacteria for oxalate oxidation and a dry season, which are common conditions in which Milicia tends to grow. This is important because the conversion of atmospheric carbon into land carbon decreases the amount of atmospheric carbon dioxide.

Because of its importance to the environment there has been research done on how to conserve Iroko. A solution that has been proposed to help Milicia excelsa move further away from being threatened is agroforestry. It was found that agroforestry helps increase habitat for plants and animals. More importantly, agroforestry promotes the growth of any plant species by taking pressure off remnant forests that usually have to repopulate threatened species on their own.[9] The people that conducted this study found that it would be a good method to use to specifically fight against the slow decline of the Iroko species.[9] However, most of the people that were surveyed for the study did not use this system specifically to regenerate this species, therefore even though there is hope in helping this species the measures have not been taken to do so.

When forests are felled, isolated trees are often left standing and the tree regenerates easily. Fresh seed germinates readily but it loses viability in storage.[1]
Re: 6 Students Died In Adeniran Ogunsanya College Of Education, Acoed Within 2 Days by finalboss(m): 12:59pm On Jul 13, 2021
Innocent tree o
Re: 6 Students Died In Adeniran Ogunsanya College Of Education, Acoed Within 2 Days by FrankAkowe: 1:01pm On Jul 13, 2021
As outlandish as it may sound, people should not overlook the spiritual aspect.
Re: 6 Students Died In Adeniran Ogunsanya College Of Education, Acoed Within 2 Days by Memberclub(m): 1:02pm On Jul 13, 2021
BIGDADDY000:
i don't think its superstition, IROKO TREE are highly spiritual trees,

yoruba beleive you must do some little rituals or sacrifice before or after
cutting IROKO TREE.
quiet
Re: 6 Students Died In Adeniran Ogunsanya College Of Education, Acoed Within 2 Days by mmsen: 1:04pm On Jul 13, 2021
More African superstitious nonsense.
Re: 6 Students Died In Adeniran Ogunsanya College Of Education, Acoed Within 2 Days by SeriouslySense(m): 1:13pm On Jul 13, 2021
I think we should appreciate such a tree as the Iroko, rather than bedeviling it. Even from a cultural perspective the tree is significant, and its okay to recognize it, as we should recognize our heritage. Further more, from a scientific outlook, its could be an important part of the eco system, since it helps in absorbing carbon dioxide (oxalate), its a durable wood, since its gets better with time, although during modification, it tends to splinter.

And there is more, its an important source of herbal remedy, its fast in growth.

With all this, the Iroko (Milicia excelsa, ọ́jị̀, uloho or the odum) is a very useful tree.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities / JAMB Announces Date For 2019 Registration / 150 Courses Unaccredited In Nigerian Universities — FULL LIST

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.